Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Insight into Mourinhos methods around the Ajax game by a Norwegian blogger who attended a course that Mourinho was helping out on, the bit about Herrera is amazing and shows that Jose loves him. Translation is a bit of craic :D
    Petter Skogsletten got the opportunity on Monday to learn from one of his foremost idols. The young trained talent from Stovner in Oslo had, as himself, José Mourinho as his teacher.

The 24-year-old is studying at the sports faculty at the University of Lisbon, where he shares classrooms with students from, among others, the big clubs Benfica and Paris Saint-Germain. This week was the definite highlight of having the Manchester United coach as his teacher.

"He walked a lot in and out while we got up with PCs, etc. He greeted us and was very easy and free. We knew that moods were built up and were very nervous, "says Skogsletten to Nettavisen.

Master plan

But although Mourinho might seem awkward at first, he quickly showed another side of himself, not everyone gets to know.

"In the media, many have a picture of him as arrogant, but we got to know him as a great weapon. He left behind the class to take pictures and write autographs. We could have asked more questions after seansen, but we were all a little shocked that we were there with him, "said Skogsletten.

"This day with Mourinho was amazing, meeting the coach I've looked up to most is part of a whole package I'm terribly impressed with. I'm storking myself. I can only sum him up with one word; Fantastic.

Mourinho's major theme was the Manchester United and Europa League final against Ajax. There the students got an insight into how Mourinho systematically worked on a plan to beat the Dutch.

"He spent three out of ten days in the final where he divided the preparations with attack and defensive against Ajax, as well as how to work with ballots. There they should have a brief video meeting and then practice, "said Skogsletten, who also said that the players were given pictures of the Ajax players' actions so that they were prepared for everything.

Should stop Danish jewel

Even Mourinho had not missed anything in his foundation to beat Ajax.

"There is a focus on everything from the height of players, how they position themselves and every phase of the game. He focused a lot on the opponent, says Skogsletten, who also emphasizes that Mourinho had a plan for how to remedy Ajax's Danish star player.

He had analyzed everything by Kasper Dolberg. How he liked to move, how they wanted to play him up, how he played through, says Stovner's boy.

But although Mourinho had understood how to stop Ajax, he had also seen that there were several points he could attack himself. Among them was to isolate Marcus Rashford out of order while Marouane Fellaini was using her physics as much as possible.

** Herrera's final grip**

It was anyway another player Mourinho talked loudly about. Ander Herrera has shown himself as an important piece in United's system this season, and the students heard.

"Mourinho talked a lot about Herrera, saying he is one of the smartest players he has had during his career," said Skogsletten. Mourinho also told about the corner line that made the final. And as he himself had not planned!

Before the match, Mourinho had made it clear that Henrikh Mkhitaryan would be out of the box on offensive deathballs and dodge Ajax if they were to be in contravention.

"Suddenly Herrera took hold of the Mkhitaryan and sent him in front of the keeper, while Herrera would take the pitch outside the box. Mourinho said he was so frustrated that he tore the fourth quarter and said "what the hell is going on?"

Mourinho had later understood that Herrera had noticed anything even the United coach had not remembered.

"It turned out Herrera had taken responsibility in the situation. The reason was that the Mkhitaryan had a yellow card, so if Ajax suddenly put in a counterattack, and the Mkhitaryan had felt the player, he would have been expelled with a 1-0 lead.

In addition to preventing potential disaster in a contradiction, Herreras moves to United Jubilee also led. For the same corner, Mkhitaryan poked United's second scoring in the match.

"Mourinho said he is incredibly pleased to have such players who can handle situations on their own and adjust," says Skogsletten.

Shocked Mourinho

After the Portuguese star trainer had gone through his analysis and thoughts, the students got the opportunity to ask questions. When Petter came to the floor, he put a blow to the United coach.

"It was a little fun because when I asked Mourinho about his season in United you could see that he felt a bit uncomfortable and had to think carefully. He most stressed that he had put a list too high and had to change things so that players could gain even greater confidence. It was his key, says Skogsletten.

The 54-year-old had not concealed that even though he had come to a high prestige club, players did not match the same level.

"He meant that with the club's position in the football world, the playing material did not really satisfy that picture. He saw that it would take some time to build the troop he wants. We'll probably go into a summer window where there can be a lot, "says Skogsletten.

And the students had tried to trick out of Mourinho what they could wait for the gates at Old Trafford this season.

"He would have brought some" fresh blood "into the summer. What he said was that he went out to the market to look for some fresh, fresh blood, and maybe not just young blood that could satisfy his demands, says Skogsletten, who also believes that Mourinho's body language was not going to be wrong.

A must see him personally when he talks about this. He cares and smiles a bit to us when he says such a thing. You soon realize he thinks he must have a better squad.
    One of those people already knows that will be found at Old Trafford next season is Victor Lindelöf. On Saturday it became apparent that the Benfica player becomes Manchester United player in a short time.

Fundamentalists

It was regardless of the person Mourinho students got a real insight into. For although many have summed him up as a self-taught type, Mourinho himself is of a different opinion.

"He talked a lot about having gone from being a rigid coach with his own perspective where he would run his own race, to become a more pragmatic trainer adapting to the opponent to a greater extent," says Skogsletten.

Many have often perceived Mourinho as a coach who only wants things done in his own way, but the 54-year-old himself believes he has changed his mind considerably through the coach career.

"We came very well with the term" fundamentalist "and how strong fundamentalist you can be as a football coach, and to your own philosophy. There Mourinho believes that he has changed very, very much since he was younger, explains Skogsletten.

He himself said that he was fresh in the profession and that he now looks back at "young Mourinho" as arrogant. He feels that he has become more open to other perspectives in recent years.
    Nevertheless, it is not to be avoided that the Portuguese, to a large extent, emphasizes the results, regardless of whether it should mean a cynical approach.

"He no longer focuses on things to be so complicated or beautiful. Things should be simple, objective, pragmatic and understandable. As long as you get the results you want, he does not see the rest as a problem, says Skogsletten.

The Portuguese adds, on the other hand, to several factors why he has become so successful.

"He talks about how important it is to have an academic background, to understand all of the basic principles in sport, emotions, psychology and soccer skills in general. He believes that this is one of the more important things he has, and is one of the reasons why he has succeeded in football.

But even after almost three decades as a football coach, it's one thing Mourinho still feels on all the time.

"Despite having been in the game for so long, he told him he felt the pressure. He has been working for 27 years and still knows it, says Skogsletten.

Blitzregnet

In any event, it was probably the Skogsletten that felt the most pressure in the first moments of the Portuguese coach legend. On the way to the classroom something seemed unexpected.

"We had been in the classroom earlier this day, but I had to do something crazy about the do. When I finished, Mourinho was the first to meet me in the door. He walked outside the toilet, and I was completely shocked, says Skogsletten.

Thus, Norwegian Petter walked just a few yards behind one of the world's most profited football coaches heading towards the classroom. And shortly thereafter he would have a taste of the attention a person Mourinho receives.

"The entire press corps to Portugal had gathered in the university building, and I stood right behind him. They snap pictures, and I just tried to get away, says Skogsletten, who could reflect on a day of much learning, memories for life and an insight into life waiting for him to get in among the biggest coaches in the world.

"It went from a quiet time to the toilet, to the glimpse of José Mourinho. I had never seen that I should participate!

From here: http://m.nettavisen.no/sport/norske-petter-fikk-drmmedag-med-mourinho---kan-kun-oppsummere-han-med-ett-ord/3423347747.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

With an injury to Darmian and Shaw being injury-prone/not in favour with Mourinho, Young comes into play very quickly (ahead of Blind at LB for me). Adds depth all over the pitch, and a great experienced player to come on after 65-70 mins to give a player a rest if we are ahead in a game (also see this role for Carrick), allowing for a bit more rotation than last year perhaps. What if Val gets an injury, Darmian moves to RB, who plays LB?

It's a long year, and a few injuries can easily change the outlook, and I can think of many scenarios when we would be glad of having Young to slot in.

Great read astradave, really shows Herrera's leadership qualities imo.
    Will have to re-use "offensive deathballs" in future :)

Ander for captain please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Great shout on the yellow for mkhi and you can totally believe that was in Herreras thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Decent game for belotti tonight goal and an assist.

Good to see Morata stayed on the bench all match - should pass the medical ok now :P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't think this was posted earlier, a great analysis of Morata and it might help with any doubts people have about him.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/873973609861132288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

astradave wrote: »
    Insight into Mourinhos methods around the Ajax game by a Norwegian blogger who attended a course that Mourinho was helping out on, the bit about Herrera is amazing and shows that Jose loves him. Translation is a bit of craic :D

From here: http://m.nettavisen.no/sport/norske-petter-fikk-drmmedag-med-mourinho---kan-kun-oppsummere-han-med-ett-ord/3423347747.html

"I'm stroking myself"

It's like you just threw that line in the middle of it to see if anyone would read what you posted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Wonder will lindelof play midweek or will they play it safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Thats a beautiful finish.

I doubt we go for Morata and Bellotti. Unless we are changing formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I dont understand the "Young is a good squad player' mentality. The guy has played nothing and is costing us alot in wages.

He playes feck all and should be shown the door to any suitor.
    Good player,wicked crosser but for the cash he's on doing nothing he's just picking up a pay check every week.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    I dont understand the "Young is a good squad player' mentality. The guy has played nothing and is costing us alot in wages.

Good player,wicked crosser but for the cash he's on doing nothing he's just picking up a pay check every week.

2016/17 - 23 appearances (also could have been more if not injured)
    2015/16 - 26 apps (again had injuries iirc)

So your telling me he's a 110k a week player??
    Carrick,Fellani,Herrera,Valencia,Bailly all get payed less, played more games, most been in our starting eleven week in week out.

Gimmie your stats for those players and tell me how they deserve less...

Injuries seems to be the following theme. Yet 6 mil a year for a half crocked squad player you want to keep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I love when Marouane Fellaini uses her physics.

Worrying about a players wages is an excuse to justify your opinion of Ashley Young. Their wages mean fúck all to us as fans so get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Carrick,Fellani,Herrera,Valencia,Bailly all get payed less, played more games, most been in our starting eleven week in week out.

Nobody said that, you said hes hardly played but hes racked up over 20 appeareances in each of the last two seasons. Nobody has to give you any stats because nobody said who deserves what in the squad.

Also how do you know he's on more than all of those players?

You could make the same case for Rooney who is on 300k.

That's a different argument.
    Young managed to negotiate better contract terms than other players (and in fairness took a pay cut last time out) - that doesn't mean we should sell him.

The cost of getting somebody experienced, with that level of versatility, who is a good fit, proven and can slot in effortlessly with the team (knows the set up, manager's style etc.), is happy with a squad role and has a good attitude, may even work out more if we were to buy somebody new between salary and transfer fees.

I am not going to be devastated if he leaves, but I can definitely see the value in him staying and he fulfills a role in the team. Sure it would be better if he was paid less, but that's really not the argument here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

GSPfan wrote: »
    Thats a beautiful finish.

I doubt we go for Morata and Bellotti. Unless we are changing formation.

We will I think.

One to replace Zlatan, the other to replace Rooney.
    Last season we depended on Zlatan for goals and then a big gap to the next highest scorers.

Buying only one would be eggs in one basket.

Worrying about a players wages is an excuse to justify your opinion of Ashley Young. Their wages mean fúck all to us as fans so get over it.

But a player is worth their wages no? I mean you get a player thats on the side earning a lot more than most of your starting 11, a question needs to be asked.

Him and his agent brokered a great contract deal, just dont it benefits us tbh

duffman13 wrote: »
    Nobody said that, you said hes hardly played but hes racked up over 20 appeareances in each of the last two seasons. Nobody has to give you any stats because nobody said who deserves what in the squad.

Also how do you know he's on more than all of those players?

You could make the same case for Rooney who is on 300k.

Only pulled the stats because of the guy above me did pulled the mintues
    My point was the 20 games he played which to be fair were mostly not starts are worth what we are paying him

But a player is worth their wages no? I mean you get a player thats on the side earning a lot more than most of your starting 11, a question needs to be asked.

Him and his agent brokered a great contract deal, just dont it benefits us tbh

The thing you forget is if the club move him on they will have to pay up the remainder or difference in his contract. Makes fuk all differences to the club we are not picking over peanuts In relation to modern day football.

That's a different argument.
    Young managed to negotiate better contract terms than other players (and in fairness took a pay cut last time out) - that doesn't mean we should sell him.

The cost of getting somebody experienced, with that level of versatility, who is a good fit, proven and can slot in effortlessly with the team (knows the set up, manager's style etc.), is happy with a squad role and has a good attitude, may even work out more if we were to buy somebody new between salary and transfer fees.

I am not going to be devastated if he leaves, but I can definitely see the value in him staying and he fulfills a role in the team. Sure it would be better if he was paid less, but that's really not the argument here.

Hands up, great response. See where your coming from

Only pulled the stats because of the guy above me did pulled the mintues
    My point was the 20 games he played which to be fair were mostly not starts are worth what we are paying him

I'm not a guy, thanks.

• Advertisement

Hands up, great response. See where your coming from

I do agree that Young is comparatively overpaid (but I'm not the one paying it, so can live with it :p)

I'm not a guy, thanks.

Good to know lad 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RobertKK wrote: »
    We will I think.

One to replace Zlatan, the other to replace Rooney.
    Last season we depended on Zlatan for goals and then a big gap to the next highest scorers.

Buying only one would be eggs in one basket.

Exactly 2 strikers leaving be mad to just have 1 come in. Furthermore Belotti appears a different style to Morata so gives us another option to lead the line. Rashfords pace is another option so we have 3 distinct points of attack.

Look what happened to us when Zlatan was injured, if Morata got injured we're back there again. We need more goals in the team not less.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly 2 strikers leaving be mad to just have 1 come in. Furthermore Belotti appears a different style to Morata so gives us another option to lead the line. Rashfords pace is another option so we have 3 distinct points of attack.

Look what happened to us when Zlatan was injured, if Morata got injured we're back there again. We need more goals in the team not less.

Would someone like Belottii be happy on the bench though if were spending what they want.
    Id think both Morata and Belotti would want to start

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Would someone like Belottii be happy on the bench though if were spending what they want.
    Id think both Morata and Belotti would want to start

I think Jose would play both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I have to admit the thought of having 2 proper goal scoring strikers excites me! Not many teams go with 2 up top anymore. Fingers crossed this comes to fruition and we not only end up going into the new season with the new rio/vidic at the back but also yorke/cole up top.

Think we are going to see a re-energized team next season. A lot of players that are from last season needed the rest this summer.

Edit: i reckon next season we should see some performances

Think we are going to see a re-energized team next season. A lot of players that are from last season needed the rest this summer.

Edit: i reckon next season we should see some performances

Definitely..New signings should hopefully elevate the likes of Pogba and Mkhitaryan. Our play will hopefully become more exciting and result in more goals

I'm looking forward to Mata in a well functioning sides attack morseo than Mkhitaryan who I doubt will be ahead of Mata.

I would literally burst with joy to see two strikers next season playing together up front. Just don't think I've ever seen a Jose team do that. Anyone know if he has? We flirted with a 442 this season but it quickly was dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Morata has played out wide too or a support striker instead of just as a single up front. Could easily have him out wide with Belotti up front

skysports-andrea-belotti-torino-serie-a-football_3866995.jpg?20170109115938

im a big fan of the rooster celebration also haha

Listening to the quotes from the Torino president or whatever he is makes it seem like United have to pay €100 million to get Belotti. I honestly don't think United are doing that. If they go over €60 million Id be shocked. I also fear that an Italian player may not settle in England. Not many come over and I don't think many settle well.

Listening to the quotes from the Torino president or whatever he is makes it seem like United have to pay €100 million to get Belotti. I honestly don't think United are doing that. If they go over €60 million Id be shocked. I also fear that an Italian player may not settle in England. Not many come over and I don't think many settle well.

Dunno , Ravenelli, DiCanio, Zola even Pelle all did pretty ok! I think if Torino received a bid of around the €60mill mark theyd have to strongly consider it,especially if the player becomes unsettled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Mourinho loves Rashford and we still need a central midfielder or two I know is silly season but I hope nobody seriously believes we'll spend £120 million on 2 forwards.

Prepare for disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I also fear that an Italian player may not settle in England. Not many come over and I don't think many settle well.
    Out of interest, why do you think an Italian would settle any less well than his equivalent from Germany, France or Spain? Sure there have been a few duds but you could say that about signings from any league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Interesting.. could be Madrid trying to get us to pay more.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/874178664296046593

Edit: a little read around and supposedly A/S-Sport are pretty unreliable, nothing to see here :D

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Dunno , Ravenelli, DiCanio, Zola even Pelle all did pretty ok! I think if Torino received a bid of around the €60mill mark theyd have to strongly consider it,especially if the player becomes unsettled

Our own Darmian aswell.

beno619 wrote: »
    Mourinho loves Rashford and we still need a central midfielder or two I know is silly season but I hope nobody seriously believes we'll spend £120 million on 2 forwards.

Meh squad barely scored enough last year. Not very silly to expect Mourinho wants more goals. Goals are what win games after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mourinho loves Rashford and we still need a central midfielder or two I know is silly season but I hope nobody seriously believes we'll spend ?120 million on 2 forwards.

?150M for Kane.

Then Ronaldo pays us ?30m for the chance to come back.

?120m net and everybody wins.

astradave wrote: »
    Interesting.. could be Madrid trying to get us to pay more.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/874178664296046593

Edit: a little read around and supposedly A/S-Sport are pretty unreliable, nothing to see here :D

I think alot of people are over confident if him signing and I don't get it at all. I don't particularly mean people in here but in general everyone I spoke to over the weekend has said he is next but all anyone is going on is reports in press and to be honest it's not very convincing.

He said in a comment last week he would be mad to leave Real Madrid but the press bearly reported that at all because it would ruin the hype.

Does anyone else think it would make madrid look weak if they sold him to us even for an inflated fee without getting de gea going the other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

pjohnson wrote: »
    Meh squad barely scored enough last year. Not very silly to expect Mourinho wants more goals. Goals are what win games after all.

Rashford/Martial will be our second choice forward next season regardless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rashford/Martial will be our second choice forward next season regardless.

Not saying I believe or not the Belotti stories, but there is the possibility after the year just gone that Jose wants to look at a 2 striker system, in which case we would 110% need another striker brought in too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I could very easily see 2 strikers coming in. Zlatan is gone and Rooney's impact as a striker has seriously diminished (regardless of whether he is here or not). That leaves Martial and Rashford. Both of those can play across the front line and an injury leaves just one. With the amount of games next year I can see 2 strikers coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

KH25 wrote: »
    I could very easily see 2 strikers coming in. Zlatan is gone and Rooney's impact as a striker has seriously diminished (regardless of whether he is here or not). That leaves Martial and Rashford. Both of those can play across the front line and an injury leaves just one. With the amount of games next year I can see 2 strikers coming in.

Well it would leave 2 - because the argument is assuming we are signing 1 striker (Morata?)

One striker - with the first choice being Morata, backed up by Rashford and Martial.

If we signed a second striker I would have to think it would be a player that would come knowing they are a backup option, and coming in relatively cheap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement