Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Whatever about it, you lads might like this. Apparently the translation from his statement on the club website. Read the last line....

"The first thing I want to do is apologise to people who have misunderstood my statements.

'Maybe I could express myself wrong or some would like to make headlines where there were none, but since I have arrived I give everything for my club, my colleagues and my coaching staff and I am very happy to re-live a season more with all of you.'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Where would people rank Morata in terms of world class forwards. Has he not been getting game time because of Benzema or Ronaldo taking a more forward position?

He needs to be landing 20+ goals from the off to replace Zlatan. Would he be a more mobile sticker.

(Yes I have seen him, just looking for others people opinions before anyone tells me to google/youtube/Opta)

He will score bags of goals in England, I'm 99.9% sure of it.

I'm not sure why he gets a generally rough ride, but he is a quality striker with his best years ahead of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha. Now you're just being silly.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Semantics.

Says the guy looking for conspiracy theories?

• Lindelofs Medical today??

Not enough Woody Gifs for my liking

0cO8SL6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shaw,Young and Zlatan are at Carrington to continue their rehab.

I would say there are a long list of forwards that are better than him currently, but I imagine a big part of his fee is the fact that he's only 24.

List isn't really that long, if talking about number 9's. (in no particular order)

Suarez
    Lewandowski
    Aubamayang
    Kane
    Lukaku
    Aguero
    Costa
    Higuin

Then for me he starts to appear in the list. Obviously open to interpretation for each person, but I think some people rate Benzema way to far ahead of him. He was Madrids second top goalscorer, which is pretty impressive when you consider he was second choice, and did well with Juventus.

He will be the focal point of our attack, he won't be running channels or making room for Ronaldo to score, he will be the one scoring. He has been second fiddle to Benzema because it is seen that Benz does more teamwork to allow space for Ronaldo to move centrally, where as Morata is a touch more selfish. And that's fine for us, we need someone burying chances. Pretty sure he will.

The fee is outragous, but they've been like that for some time and you'd need to be a bit thick to not realise fees would be inflated even moreso this summer. So his pricetag should have no real pressure etc., but I look forward to everyone that is not connected with United in media and punditry and fans ripping him over his fee if he hits a little drought.

Jayop wrote: »
    Whatever about it, you lads might like this. Apparently the translation from his statement on the club website. Read the last line....

"The first thing I want to do is apologise to people who have misunderstood my statements.

'Maybe I could express myself wrong or some would like to make headlines where there were none, but since I have arrived I give everything for my club, my colleagues and my coaching staff and I am very happy to re-live a season more with all of you.'"

This is why players shouldn't discuss transfers till they are finished; in instances like this, you don't end up having to backpedal and apologies...

zerks wrote: »

While not contracted to the club, interested to know how this dynamic works. Can he get involved in first team training? Will he still speak and see the players?

His influence and experience seemed to be a highly sighted thing by some of our players, and I'm wondering if he will still continue with that. Will he speak with Rashford and Martial for example, will he still be around the squad, or is he just totally out of sight to them now?

TheDoc wrote: »
    While not contracted to the club, interested to know how this dynamic works. Can he get involved in first team training? Will he still speak and see the players?

His influence and experience seemed to be a highly sighted thing by some of our players, and I'm wondering if he will still continue with that. Will he speak with Rashford and Martial for example, will he still be around the squad, or is he just totally out of sight to them now?

Would love to see him get some coaching role tbh. That mindset is badly needed in the club and he personifies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Zlatan is contracted until June 30th so is still an employee.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Didn't like him anyway he is too tall.

Ya I agree and also not tall enough either.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is why players shouldn't discuss transfers till they are finished; in instances like this, you don't end up having to backpedal and apologies...

It's the suggestion at the end of "a" season more that I'd focus on. Seems to be saying he's only going to be there for one more year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Zlatan is contracted until June 30th so is still an employee.

I wonder what he will do when he is no longer in contract. No big European team is going to take him on until he is fit and I'm far from convinced that China, the US or the Middle East is where he would want to be.

Any chance we reach a gentlemans agreement, he trains with us till fit and then we sign him once he passes a medical, till the end of the 2018 season.

Imagine getting a boost of Zlatan with something to prove for the run in next year. Would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Where'd you see this Zerks?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where'd you see this Zerks?

MEN reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Valdes trained at United without a contract initially - to help build his fitness. There is no requirement for a player to be under contract to take part in training - we just can't play them in official matches.

Beckham trained with Arsenal during MLS breaks to keep up his fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I wonder what he will do when he is no longer in contract. No big European team is going to take him on until he is fit and I'm far from convinced that China, the US or the Middle East is where he would want to be.

Any chance we reach a gentlemans agreement, he trains with us till fit and then we sign him once he passes a medical, till the end of the 2018 season.

Imagine getting a boost of Zlatan with something to prove for the run in next year. Would be fantastic.

Sure didnt we have Berba training with us for a while last year dont think being contracted matters for training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its obviously a minor issue but I wonder who covers the insurance in those cases?

Its obviously a minor issue but I wonder who covers the insurance in those cases?

Would have to think it is personal insurance - just as it would be if you went to the gym or played 11 aside on a local teams pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Quite surprised there's not more optimism in here with Griezmann saying he's looking forward to a season more with Atletico

• Lukekul wrote: »
    Quite surprised there's not more optimism in here with Griezmann saying he's looking forward to a season more with Atletico

We are a greedy bunch, we want him now now now :pac:

:pac::pac::pac:

Never heard about this before: Heinze once told Keane to fuck off,he only did it once as he didn't remember what happened next as Keane knocked him out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/13/roy-keane-knocked-reveals-former-man-utd-defendergabriel-heinze/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Never heard about this before: Heinze once told Keane to fuck off,he only did it once as he didn't remember what happened next as Keane knocked him out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/13/roy-keane-knocked-reveals-former-man-utd-defendergabriel-heinze/

Keane was a thug. A utd legend and loved him as a player but he was an out an out thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So any predictions for who United will play on the opening day of the new Premier League season, which will start 2 months yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The same Roy Keane who peddles the "I hate bullies" line throughout his autobiography. What a pr1ck.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Keane was a thug. A utd legend and loved him as a player but he was an out an out thug.

A real street footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So any predictions for who United will play on the opening day of the new Premier League season, which will start 2 months yesterday.

One of the promoted teams away me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

A real street footballer

11330642_961507893894569_828311995_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTA0NjQwODY3MTUwNjk0MzYyNg%3D%3D.2

The same Roy Keane who peddles the "I hate bullies" line throughout his autobiography. What a pr1ck.

Nobody tells the captain to fuck off.

keanevieira_design.jpg

WBA,get the boring shite out of the way.

• Advertisement

1:1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea or Spurs to give Sky an opening day clash to hype up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

lads roy keane was an absolute animal and that's what made him the best midfielder I have ever seen play the game. he is my hero was in my younger years and still is today... be careful what you say about him I know where you sleep at night :D

Newcastle Utd at home would be a nice starter!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would love to see him get some coaching role tbh. That mindset is badly needed in the club and he personifies it.

Always feel English clubs are too quick to discard top , big players. I've always put it down to the coaches feeling it as a shadow should they have a rough time, people will call for a club legend or big player to take over.

Just an English thing, where they also assume former players with no experience could manage a top team.

We've lost so many great minds down the years, that really should have been kept around the club and absorbed into the infrastructure, in more then just $$$ generating ambassador roles and shipping them around to emerging markets. Might be an issue with the players involved thinking its beneath their station, but we really have no one at the club, to my knowledge, whereby we have really utilised and provided a pathway for a former player.

Nicky Butt aside, and Brian McClair before him, it's just weird how we let players with great minds like that just disappear. I know I am somewhat of a fanboi for the Bayern model, but that is just because it makes so much bloody sense.

Like in a world that isn't utterly ludicrous and wasteful with talent and brains, where failure isn't stamped with such ridiculous degrees of shame, and managers weren't so precious and easily threatened, an adult conversation might have taken place where Mourinho took over as manager, with Van Gaal moving into the youth setup as academy director, to do what he is so clearly brilliant at. "Finish out your contract away from the grief, work with what you clearly love, help us lay a foundation, then retire as you wish" or whatever.

It must be the people themselves not interested. I'm looking at Dennis Irwin doing this embassador promotion stuff in emerging markets and I'm like, "how could a manager not want one of the best LB's of the PL era in house coaching or assisting player development".

And that is just ignoring all the former players we have doing punditry work, where its like "How are you not working at the club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I see sport witness quoting Spanish press who say Morata will be getting €480k a week including image rights.

Bloody mad Ted.

Just to bring this back up... £150k a week

https://twitter.com/ullalibt/status/874568996955148288

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Always feel English clubs are too quick to discard top , big players. I've always put it down to the coaches feeling it as a shadow should they have a rough time, people will call for a club legend or big player to take over.

Just an English thing, where they also assume former players with no experience could manage a top team.

We've lost so many great minds down the years, that really should have been kept around the club and absorbed into the infrastructure, in more then just $$$ generating ambassador roles and shipping them around to emerging markets.

Agree to an extent, but the likes of Robson, Ince and to a certain extent Giggs show great players dont necessarily = great minds. Id love to see someone like Andy Cole or Ruud working with the young forwards

We've lost so many great minds down the years, that really should have been kept around the club and absorbed into the infrastructure, in more then just $$$ generating ambassador roles and shipping them around to emerging markets. Might be an issue with the players involved thinking its beneath their station, but we really have no one at the club, to my knowledge, whereby we have really utilised and provided a pathway for a former player.

Nicky Butt aside, and Brian McClair before him, it's just weird how we let players with great minds like that just disappear. I know I am somewhat of a fanboi for the Bayern model, but that is just because it makes so much bloody sense.

Like in a world that isn't utterly ludicrous and wasteful with talent and brains, where failure isn't stamped with such ridiculous degrees of shame, and managers weren't so precious and easily threatened, an adult conversation might have taken place where Mourinho took over as manager, with Van Gaal moving into the youth setup as academy director, to do what he is so clearly brilliant at.

It must be the people themselves not interested. I'm looking at Dennis Irwin doing this embassador promotion stuff in emerging markets and I'm like, "how could a manager not want one of the best LB's of the PL era in house coaching or assisting player developement".

Great player doesnt mean great mind or great coaching skills for that matter.

Steve stauton was a great left back, shocking bad coach

Agree to an extent, but the likes of Robson, Ince and to a certain extent Giggs show great players dont necessarily = great minds. Id love to see someone like Andy Cole or Ruud working with the young forwards

That's as managers though. Totally different kettle of fish when it comes to just coaching, out of the limelight.

Obviously though I take your point that it doesnt work out, Glen Hoddle being a key example I always use of an incredible player who was utterly brutal at teaching. I've a sneaky feeling Roy Keane is similar.

bangkok wrote: »
    Great player doesnt mean great mind or great coaching skills for that matter.

Steve stauton was a great left back, shocking bad coach

That's not the point I'm making though, I'm more wondering why it isn't "tried".

Like if someone does get involved, as a coach, to be honest we as fans can rarely to never judge. IF they don't work out they will just get moved on or whatever and then your like "oh what happened there".

My point is why isn't it happening in the first place. I'm maybe assuming the people invovled, ie the players, don't want to, or the club/manager don't want it as it might threaten the managers position, ala Giggs with Moyes & Van Gaal.

And again Staunton was a terrible manager, nothing to say he was a bad coach. Steve McClaren is a tremendous coach by all accounts yet a ropey manager. Harry Redknapp was a good manager, but a poor coach. Ferguson? Was he a great manager, a great coach, both? They are seperate things. Some are both, some are one.

Like I consider Mourinho a great manager. I think Guardiola is a great coach. I don't either, is great at both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's as managers though. Totally different kettle of fish when it comes to just coaching, out of the limelight.

Obviously though I take your point that it doesnt work out, Glen Hoddle being a key example I always use of an incredible player who was utterly brutal at teaching. I've a sneaky feeling Roy Keane is similar.

Roys teaching/coaching doesn't seem to be an issue, its more his inability to accept less then the standard he sets of himself. Not all players have that elite capability, but again his time at Ireland might be showing he is getting that aspect also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Roys teaching/coaching doesn't seem to be an issue, its more his inability to accept less then the standard he sets of himself. Not all players have that elite capability, but again his time at Ireland might be showing he is getting that aspect also.

I think Roy expects 100%, I don't he expects everybody to have great ability, but if they leave themselves on the field he respects them. If they fanny about he'll let them know.

The Irish team always naturally give everything, so their is little he can complain about.

Yeah I think the current role he is in is probably working well for him. With a manager who has previously worked with a certain standard, and has made teams achieve more then the sum of their parts.

Many people call Keane a hypocrite in terms of his punditry compared to his Ireland role, but I think he is just learning he needs to accept players wont be at his level or have his drive, and he needs to coax it out, and build players up gradually through confidence.

Johnny Evans in an interview podcast lately touched on Keane at Sunderland as how he came in with this aura and standard and everyone just lept to it when they hit that incredible run (which he doesnt get enough credit for) but when things started to go a bit south, he didnt know how to turn it around except barrage players for not being at the level they were at, and that constant hostile approach just doesnt work.

astradave wrote: »
    Just to bring this back up... £150k a week

https://twitter.com/ullalibt/status/874568996955148288

Actually in sterling that's only £136k p/w.

Much more realistic and closer to what Pogba is on. I knew that would be rubbish and should have been clearer at the time.

Actually in sterling that's only £136k p/w.

Much more realistic and closer to what Pogba is on. I knew that would be rubbish and should have been clearer at the time.

Probably some big incentives in the contract for goals etc.

I was reading recently that this is "seemingly" only a real thing in England. I found that hard to believe that other countries like Spain, Italy and Germany wouldn't have goal bonuses and assists bonuses or whatever, but transpires in England it dwarves other nations in terms of the figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

jayo26 wrote: »
    Luke shaw and Ashley Young have returned to training/rehabilitation this week already.

Last time Shaw started this early he started the season superbly so hopefully we get a similar scenario again just minus the injury.

MEN reported it.

hey zerks :):)

The type of wages a new star signing gets is actually weirdly lower than what I thought it would be. Pogba for example is supposed to be on something like ?165k which amazed me for a record signing, and Morata is supposed to be on ?30k less than that.

It seems that it's the second contract at a given club where you start to get on the real huge money.

Like I was looking in the Liverpool thread there and there's talk of Lovren being on ?100k and someone mentioned that a VDV signing would likely be something like ?150k. Peoples views on wages are somewhat skewed by outliers like Rooney and Zlatan I think. Around ?150k seems standard for a top top midfielder or striker going by this.

That's not the point I'm making though, I'm more wondering why it isn't "tried".

Like if someone does get involved, as a coach, to be honest we as fans can rarely to never judge. IF they don't work out they will just get moved on or whatever and then your like "oh what happened there".

My point is why isn't it happening in the first place. I'm maybe assuming the people invovled, ie the players, don't want to, or the club/manager don't want it as it might threaten the managers position, ala Giggs with Moyes & Van Gaal.

And again Staunton was a terrible manager, nothing to say he was a bad coach. Steve McClaren is a tremendous coach by all accounts yet a ropey manager. Harry Redknapp was a good manager, but a poor coach. Ferguson? Was he a great manager, a great coach, both? They are seperate things. Some are both, some are one.

Like I consider Mourinho a great manager. I think Guardiola is a great coach. I don't either, is great at both.

Id say the vast majority of players want to move on with their lives and do things they could never do when they were players. They are all multimillionaires when they leave utd and probably dont want to live in manchester anymore or even england for that matter

A lot of players said hoddle was a brilliant coach who was well ahead of the times. It was his views outside of football that cost him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

The type of wages a new star signing gets is actually weirdly lower than what I thought it would be. Pogba for example is supposed to be on something like ?165k which amazed me for a record signing, and Morata is supposed to be on ?30k less than that.

It seems that it's the second contract at a given club where you start to get on the real huge money.

Like I was looking in the Liverpool thread there and there's talk of Lovren being on ?100k and someone mentioned that a VDV signing would likely be something like ?150k. Peoples views on wages are somewhat skewed by outliers like Rooney and Zlatan I think. Around ?150k seems standard for a top top midfielder or striker going by this.

Pogba wages were disclosed by footyleaks

2016/17 - £220,769
    Basic salary £8.61 million or £165k per week
    Image rights £2.87 million

2017/18 - £306,826
    Basic Salary £7.75 million or £149k per week
    Image rights £2.87 million
    Loyalty Bonus £3.46 million
    Champs League Qualification £1.875 million

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement