Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What did she say about Spurs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headshot wrote: »

Said the loss to West Ham was a bottle job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This:

She got a wave of abuse from Spurs fans over it and decided to quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DM_7 wrote: »

wow and she's getting abuse on that

bloody hell, some soccer fans need a long look at themselves

And yes Spurs will always be bottlers

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    DM_7 wrote: »

Gary Neville's had his say.

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/874939265557434368
    A Scandalous response to a nothing comment. Not helped by other presenters in the TV world sticking the knife in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

wow and she's getting abuse on that

bloody hell, some soccer fans need a long look at themselves

To be fair, she needs thicker skin if she's going to be a pundit. The likes of Carragher, Neville, Redknapp etc. get horrendous abuse of Twitter. So do the more "neutral" pundits. It shouldn't be part of the job, but it is and she would have been very naive to think she wouldn't be on receiving end of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

And José has spoken up about Chicharito again.
    In the way #MUFC play & dominate opponents, I think Chicharito would have scored 20 goals for us. He is the guy that naturally the ball comes here, rebound here, rebounds there, boom, goal. We have good players, creative players, but they are not the kind of guy that is naturally a killer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There was reports a few weeks back that Lyon were able to get Hernandez for 10-12m Euro.

I know there's the issue of "he left cause he didn't want to be a bench player", but I'd kill to have him back as a #2 striker :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And José has spoken up about Chicharito again.

When did he say that?

• Advertisement

I think smalling will be sold this summer and probably end up at arsenal. Wenger is a big fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just looking back on the fixtures, our first 6 are all winnable. I see Jose has an 88% win rate for opening day fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Please bring Chicharito back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

bangkok wrote: »
    When did he say that?

That quote was from an interview I remember watching a while back.
    Think it was with Gary Lineker

Around 2.50 was where he mentioned it most recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdFTGx7m4g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lithium93_ wrote: »

BT or Bein sports should sign her up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I actually didn't think she was great sorry guys. I prefer her just been a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Or babe Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think smalling will be sold this summer and probably end up at arsenal. Wenger is a big fan

Swap deal for Sanchez.

:cool:

I was reading on F365 that we missed 50 clear goal scoring chances in the league last season, more than any other PL side.

Shockingly wasteful in front of goals.

• Advertisement

Or babe Station

No need for that.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Poor brinty is crying into his cheerios :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Farewell Rachel.

Hate to see you go, but love to watch you leave...

rachel-riley-2015-manchester-united-player-of-the-year-awards_5.jpg

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Please bring Chicharito back.

No!

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Swap deal for Sanchez.

:cool:

I was reading on F365 that we missed 50 clear goal scoring chances in the league last season, more than any other PL side.

Shockingly wasteful in front of goals.

Sanchez off to bayern after juve sign douglas costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No!

with all the talk of requiring two strikers - a player like Hernandez, at the prices being spoken about, would be the type of I would be looking at for that role.

The problem is he probably doesn't want that role, so its a non starter, really.

Also, while he is a quality finisher, I don't think he would be a lead the line striker that the team could play off - doesn't offer the defence stretching of Martial/Rashford or the hold up/link play of Ibrahimovic/Morata(?).

• Advertisement

• with all the talk of requiring two strikers - a player like Hernandez, at the prices being spoken about, would be the type of I would be looking at for that role.

The problem is he probably doesn't want that role, so its a non starter, really.

Also, while he is a quality finisher, I don't think he would be a lead the line striker that the team could play off - doesn't offer the defence stretching of Martial/Rashford or the hold up/link play of Ibrahimovic/Morata(?).

He didn't want that role when we had him in the first place.
    If he was signed I'd expect to see him on the bench again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sanchez off to bayern after juve sign douglas costa

It was a joke mang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Matic seems to be our DM target, awaiting Chelsea to complete their Bakayoko deal before ours finalises?

Reading an article where it seemed pretty confident that our business is Lindeloff, Morata, Perisic and Matic. Personals all agreed with the players and just about arranging fee's with Inter,Real and Chelsea.

While not terrible business by any stretch, feels a little flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

TheDoc wrote: »
    Matic seems to be our DM target, awaiting Chelsea to complete their Bakayoko deal before ours finalises?

Reading an article where it seemed pretty confident that our business is Lindeloff, Morata, Perisic and Matic. Personals all agreed with the players and just about arranging fee's with Inter,Real and Chelsea.

Not sure why we wouldnt go for Fabinho. He would be supreme. Im not a fan of Matic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He didn't want that role when we had him in the first place.
    If he was signed I'd expect to see him on the bench again.

He would be a bench player.

But would he be in the same vein LVG had him as one? Getting on with 10 minutes to go, when the rest of the team was shutting down. With our schedule, I feel Jose would give him way more time, including plenty of starts in cups and such. He also wouldn't have Rooney, RVP and Falcao ahead of him this time either.

I know its a pipe dream, and I know some of the factors of why he left still exists. But there is still some that have, thanfully, moved on...

• Advertisement

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Not sure why we wouldnt go for Fabinho. He would be supreme. Im not a fan of Matic

I think it may be that Jose wants players he trusts 100% and Matic may be one he does. He may feel he can trust Matic to play how he wants straight away, with very little bedding in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think it may be that Jose wants players he trusts 100% and Matic may be one he does. He may feel he can trust Matic to play how he wants straight away, with very little bedding in time.

We can't afford much bedding in time or rebuilding this season. With that start we have to hit the ground running or we're on for another slog playing catch up.

TheDoc wrote: »

Yep - no star signing to get us excited, imo, in that lot.

It would all be very functional, to get the best out of players, I guess. I look at the chelsea side he last won the title with and (they had some stars!) I felt it was an almost perfectly balanced side with some very good options.

Lindelof is a very good passer of the ball but also big and strong - he is the actual centre back version of Blind and I think will be a very good partner for Bailly - though I worry both are young and lack leadership/experience. His passing could help got more from our midfield as the distribution will be better from the back.

Matic would be solid - and provide a base for Pogba and Herrera to attack more which makes us a bigger threat going forward. I think Fabinho would be a better buy - younger and more dynamic, would be more of a threat vs defensive teams than Matic - and I think Fabinho probably no more expensive and a lot easier to buy. But Jose knows/trusts Matic to do the specific job he wants (I guess).

Lindelof and Matic (I've no real reason to think we are going to sign Matic, tbh) would help us get more out of Pogba and Herrea, imo.

Peresic is a quick, consistent, hardworking winger - like Willian, and we can't get Willian.

Morata would be a young, mobile, big, strong forward - I'm thinking like Kane, cause we have no hope of getting Kane. He could lead the line, but also gel with our other attacking threats, imo.

I do wonder if Greizmann is still a priority target for the club long term and thus we are keeping a spot free for him next season and not looking to buy a replacement target this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"...please don't go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we'll fucking do them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

To be fair Cheslea didnt hit the ground running this season.....

beakerjoe wrote: »
    To be fair Cheslea didnt hit the ground running this season.....

They didn't but it took them a while to get up to first and Tbf to them they were super consistent after that.

Jayop wrote: »
    They didn't but it took them a while to get up to first and Tbf to them they were super consistent after that.

Oh of course, just saying a few poor results early on doesnt necessarily spell doom

It was an odd one, they kinda stank until Conte changed formation at half time, maybe 3 down to Arsenal iirc and from that halftime onwards they freaking killed it.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Oh of course, just saying a few poor results early on doesnt necessarily spell doom

No but with the fixtures we have to begin with if we don't make a sharp start, given the quality in the league now it'll be tough to get back up there. For all Chelsea's exploits last season I'd rather look at our own struggles.

No but with the fixtures we have to begin with if we don't make a sharp start, given the quality in the league now it'll be tough to get back up there. For all Chelsea's exploits last season I'd rather look at our own struggles.

They may find things difficuult themselves. Matic, Costa and Hazard potentially going, esp Hazard, they might struggle to replicate their form.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised there's not been more stories about a full back coming in actually. Unless the plan is to trust Shaw or Darmian more than last season, our left back looks a signifcant weak area...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm surprised there's not been more stories about a full back coming in actually. Unless the plan is to trust Shaw or Darmian more than last season, our left back looks a signifcant weak area...

I think left back isn't that much of an issue providing Shaw stays fit. Rojo blind darmian and potentially Borthwick-jackson/Mitchell in reserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I think left back isn't that much of an issue providing Shaw stays fit. Rojo blind darmian and potentially Borthwick-jackson/Mitchell in reserve

But that's why it's an issue. He can't stay fit.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    J. Marston wrote: »
    But that's why it's an issue. He can't stay fit.

Yeah. "Provided he stays fit" is like me saying "I don't need to worry about money, provided I win the lottery". Its nice to think, but we shouldn't bank on it.

Yeah. "Provided he stays fit" is like me saying "I don't need to worry about money, provided I win the lottery". Its nice to think, but we shouldn't bank on it.

And lets be honest, Shaw isnt in Joses good books. He publicly questioned him a few times, Id be surprised if he isnt looking for a LB, Shaws not reliable and Dramian isnt good enough (and not a natural LB) while Rojo is coming back frominjure as well as being a natural CB himself anyway.

At this level, a natural LB is needed

Or babe Station

Does she have the requisite number of tattoos? :D

It could be we can't/won't target a left back unless there are sales.

We have Shaw, Darmian, Blind and Rojo who can/did play left back for us - unless we sell one of Shaw/Darmian at least, I can't see us having the squad room for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"...please don't go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we'll fucking do them."

I think that may be my most favourite anecdote of all time.

Donno why people wouldn't be excited by morata if we got him he definitely would have me excited.

Jose signed Costa from Spanish league and I don't think he scored more then 10 goals in the season before he signed. Morata has shown so much ability id love to see someone like that leading our line.

Edit: scrap that he had 27 :) still id be excited haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It could be we can't/won't target a left back unless there are sales.

We have Shaw, Darmian, Blind and Rojo who can/did play left back for us - unless we sell one of Shaw/Darmian at least, I can't see us having the squad room for one.

I think its not one of our major problem areas,its not solid at present but I wouldnt be hugley concerned either. Im not sure whos out there and available this summer. Do we gamble on Shaw/Darmian and maybe next year go all out for Alaba in hope he seeks a new challenge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement