Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

jayo26 wrote: »
    Donno why people wouldn't be excited by morata if we got him he definitely would have me excited.

Jose signed Costa from Spanish league and I don't think he scored more then 10 goals in the season before he signed. Morata has shown so much ability id love to see someone like that leading our line.

Edit: scrap that he had 27 :) still id be excited haha

Very excited personally,serious talent who needs to be leading the line for a club and delighted if that turns out to be us.Proved it at Juve. I hope that hes not the only striker incoming though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I think its not one of our major problem areas

I think it is, it would make a huge difference to our side to have better full backs, on both sides.

But while a big problem its not our biggest problem, and as such it might not necessarily be made a priority.

Still though, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a new left back was pulled from a hat somewhere. I think Shaw is done as far as Jose is concerned and its not a signing that necessarily needs to be flashy or expensive, so I could see Jose taking a punt on some low key player he has been keeping an eye on. He might not, he might make do for now, but a new left back this summer wouldn't shock me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Morata's agent is at the Berenabeu to finalise the deal apparently. hes due to get married Friday and wants it sorted before then supposedly.

Just seen Tolisso signed for Bayern,wonder how that affects renato sanches now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Morata's agent is at the Berenabeu to finalise the deal apparently. hes due to get married Friday and wants it sorted before then supposedly.

Just seen Tolisso signed for Bayern,wonder how that affects renato sanches now?

If not it could be another drawn out saga.... ohh lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You know who we should buy? This guy. Looks like he's got bags of skill, pace, can beat a man and has an eye for goal. Plays mostly on the left wing and has 25 goals in his last 95 games.

Can be somewhat inconsistent though, but he's not turning 22 till December so hopefully he'll iron that out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

ed-woodward-point-i-got-this-bitches.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1 down, 3 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Keep em coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'll be on at 8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rod Munch wrote: »
    1 down, 3 to go.

1 down, hopefully 4 to go. I love surprises

He got tattoo's birches he is bad ass as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jaysus he the bulb of one of my mate with the hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Jaysus he the bulb of one of my mate with the hair.

Just one mate has hair?

Morata and James were absent from Madrid kit launch today??? I'll take both of them then ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Morata and James were absent from Madrid kit launch today??? I'll take both of them then ok.

James off to either PSG or Chelsea going by reports, would like him but would rather an out and out winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    James off to either PSG or Chelsea going by reports, would like him but would rather an out and out winger

I wouldn't believe a single report about James - I think there is a lot of agent/madrid/media driven stuff trying to drum up interest in him.

I really hope we don't sign Morata. I don't think he'll score over 15 league goals for us next season, and would much rather we sign a Kane or a Lukaku instead.

ZAgXvaX.jpg

Morata has literally had 1 season in the top tier where he has scored more than 8 goals. Has also never consistently started in the top tier.

13/14 3 starts, 23 apps,
    14/15 11 starts, 19 apps
    15/16 16 starts, 34 apps,
    16/17 14 starts 26 apps

Last season his league goals were against
    4 x Leganes
    2 x Granada
    2 x Deportivo
    1 x Gijon
    1 x Villarreal
    1 x Espanol
    1 x Sociedad
    1 x Alaves
    1 x Bilbao
    1 x Celta Vigo

I've also heard people say he can only get better at his age, and again, I really really disagree, he played in 2 sides much better than us with Real and Juventus, he isn't particularly intelligent positionally, he's quite fast, and a good dribbler, but his finishing isn't great either, we'll regret signing him for his potential at the price which is touted.

Kane would cost significantly more if he was available, which he isn't.

Lukaku has chosen Chelsea.

So both of them are no go.

• Advertisement

I don't think Lukaku is set in stone, but for the money we're paying we're not getting a player which is much of an upgrade on Rashford, if at all an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I really hope we don't sign Morata. I don't think he'll score over 15 league goals for us next season, and would much rather we sign a Kane or a Lukaku instead.

ZAgXvaX.jpg

Morata has literally had 1 season in the top tier where he has scored more than 8 goals. Has also never consistently started in the top tier.

13/14 3 starts, 23 apps,
    14/15 11 starts, 19 apps
    16/17 14 starts 26 apps

4 x Leganes
    2 x Granada
    2 x Deportivo
    1 x Gijon
    1 x Villarreal
    1 x Espanol
    1 x Sociedad
    1 x Alaves
    1 x Bilbao
    1 x Celta Vigo

I've also heard people say he can only get better at his age, and again, I really really disagree, he played in 2 sides much better than us with Real and Juventus, he isn't particularly intelligent positionally, he's quite fast, and a good dribbler, but his finishing isn't great either, we'll regret signing him for his potential at the price which is touted.

It's a somewhat underwhelming signing if it happens. I find it odd that many here see him as a significant upgrade on Martial. I do reckon he'll get more than 15 goals for us over a season, even 20. Having said that I think if Rashford or Martial was made our number 1 striker for a season they'd score 20+ also.

ZAgXvaX.jpg

13/14 3 starts, 23 apps,
    14/15 11 starts, 19 apps
    16/17 14 starts 26 apps

4 x Leganes
    2 x Granada
    2 x Deportivo
    1 x Gijon
    1 x Villarreal
    1 x Espanol
    1 x Sociedad
    1 x Alaves
    1 x Bilbao
    1 x Celta Vigo

He also scored 5 goals in 7 games for Juve in knock out phases of the Champions league in their run to the final in 2015.. including the winning goal in a couple of those.

As for the bolded part, i don't think you could be further from the truth. He is an extremely intelligent player with an amazing engine, he uses his positioning to bring other players into the game brilliantly.

ZAgXvaX.jpg

13/14 3 starts, 23 apps,
    14/15 11 starts, 19 apps
    16/17 14 starts 26 apps

4 x Leganes
    2 x Granada
    2 x Deportivo
    1 x Gijon
    1 x Villarreal
    1 x Espanol
    1 x Sociedad
    1 x Alaves
    1 x Bilbao
    1 x Celta Vigo

And if you look at your stats again you will see out of all them games he scored in he scored a decisive goal in at least 5 of them and that's not counting goals for Spain this year or cup goals ect.

I really don't get the negative spin on everything morata does. He wants to move so he can be a leader of the attack for a big team he could easily sit where he is and pick up wages and trophies and still score goals easily but he wants to be the main man.

Jose knows him really well from his time in Madrid and gave him his debut im sure he knows exactly what he wants and what morata glaring to the team.

Morata is a natural finisher and we need that we need someone to get in the right place at the right time and put away chances.

As I said before he may not be a superstar but he is 24 and has 80 odd goals in 200 games while never getting a chance to be the main man that's some cracking record for me.

And if you look at your stats again you will see out of all them games he scored in he scored a decisive goal in at least 5 of them and that's not counting goals for Spain this year or cup goals ect.

5 goals which were game-winning goals in all competitions:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/alvaro-morata/alletore/spieler/128223/plus/0?saison=2016&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&minute=&pos=&torart=&stand=gamewinning
    I really don't get the negative spin on everything morata does. He wants to move so he can be a leader of the attack for a big team he could easily sit where he is and pick up wages and trophies and still score goals easily but he wants to be the main man.

There is no negative spin here, I just don't think he is good enough to be the focal point of our attack, its not a personal attack against him, or a negative spin, just a statistical and opinioned view of him.
    Morata is a natural finisher and we need that we need someone to get in the right place at the right time and put away chances.

Oh come off it, what are you basing his natural finishing on? He's had one season where he has scored goals and that was last season.
    As I said before he may not be a superstar but he is 24 and has 80 odd goals in 200 games while never getting a chance to be the main man that's some cracking record for me.

Don't let raw data like that fool you.

He's scored 85 in 209 league appearances. 33 of them coming in 65 appearances in the Segunda B division (Spanish 3rd tier) and 12 of them coming in 18 appearances in the Segunda Division. Meaning that 40 goals have coming in 126 appearances.

At Madrid in all competitions he has 31 goals in 95 games, and at Juventus he had 27 goals in 93 games.

5 goals which were game-winning goals in all competitions:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/alvaro-morata/alletore/spieler/128223/plus/0?saison=2016&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&minute=&pos=&torart=&stand=gamewinning

There is no negative spin here, I just don't think he is good enough to be the focal point of our attack, its not a personal attack against him, or a negative spin, just a statistical and opinioned view of him.

Oh come off it, what are you basing his natural finishing on? He's had one season where he has scored goals and that was last season.

Don't let raw data like that fool you.

He's scored 85 in 209 league appearances. 33 of them coming in 65 appearances in the Segunda B division (Spanish 3rd tier) and 12 of them coming in 18 appearances in the Segunda Division. Meaning that 40 goals have coming in 126 appearances.

At Madrid in all competitions he has 31 goals in 95 games, and at Juventus he had 27 goals in 93 games.

Yes his goals per game ratio is not Up there with the best because he hasn't been a regular started but his minutes per goal ratio is up there with the best.

You list off two players that would more suitable. And I agree they would but they are not available Lukaku I'm nearly positive is gone to Chelsea and even if he wasn't and jose thinks he can trust morata more well then that's better value for money then signing the superstar striker that he may not trust.

Out of all the strikers that's going to move this summer I don't think they are any better then morata goals per minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Or 27 goals in 2764 minutes - one every 102 minutes.

Edit: Thanks for correcting me on this paddyg - copied data from the wrong column by mistake :-o

Now that's raw data that I like.

Peul sacked at Southampton and some talk thAt Van Gaal is in line to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Seen a comment on the United Facebook page about how Lindelof was favoured over Michael Keane.
    So disappointed to sign a trash instead Michael Keane... Keane is a Manchester United player! And he would be a new Ferdinand in our squad... I don't see anything goes forward for us in next season...

And it's stuff like that that I actively try to avoid comment sections.

You're using the stats only for minutes played in the league, my goals stat was in all competitions.

In the league he scored 15 goals in 2764 minutes. 1 goal per 184.27 minutes.
    2014/15: 1319 minutes, 8 goals
    2015/16: 1455minutes, 7 goals

You can see more detailed statistics here:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/alvaro-morata/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/128223/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0/plus/1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Seen a comment on the United Facebook page about how Lindelof was favoured over Michael Keane.

Agree I generally don't follow any other pages or threads apart from here and a local group on Facebook that takes piss out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Peul sacked at Southampton and some talk thAt Van Gaal is in line to replace him.

Good,I miss LVG's press conferences

And the "philosophy" drinking game :D

Fcuking Ray Wilkins at it again.

:rolleyes:

Agree I generally don't follow any other pages or threads apart from here and a local group on Facebook that takes piss out of each other.

This place is the only forum I follow for football. Anything on Facebook is drivel and Reddit melts my face.

Aside from a few bellpipes the forum in general is pretty decent with some excellent contributors.

• Advertisement

You're using the stats only for minutes played in the league, my goals stat was in all competitions.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/alvaro-morata/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/128223/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0/plus/1

So what are you doing your adding his two seasons for juventus to get that but ignoring his last season for Madrid and Spain?

Eitherway who do you think is getable and has a better record over the past 3 years?

Fcuking Ray Wilkins at it again.

:rolleyes:

What was it he said about Lindelof again?, it was so :rolleyes:.

This place is the only forum I follow for football. Anything on Facebook is drivel and Reddit melts my face.

Aside from a few bellpipes the forum in general is pretty decent with some excellent contributors.

Yep agree im only here about two and half year but as I got used to everyone and understand people there are great regulars that have there own opinions and are generally very good at getting them across.

Most of the not so serious posters are only seasonal that you can tell they will pop up at certain times and aren't seen at others times they are great fun too.

What was it he said about Lindelof again?, it was so :rolleyes:.

Basically he achieved nothing but Michael Keane has.

Good,I miss LVG's press conferences

And the "philosophy" drinking game :D

I reckon it would be more fun to watch him in charge of someone else then it was for us.

• Advertisement

Basically he achieved nothing but Michael Keane has.

Oi vey, the stupidity of it, makes my head hurt.

He could've Google searched him before mouthing off with his stupid statement.

So what are you doing your adding his two seasons for juventus to get that but ignoring his last season for Madrid and Spain?

Eitherway who do you think is getable and has a better record over the past 3 years?

Because I'm responding back to what was said to me.

Lacazette, Costa, Lukaku, Aubemeyang

Okdoke so who u would you buy instead of him?

Sincere apologies, I was reading from the wrong column for goals - column three by mistake! You are right - however I think it makes more sense to look at minutes per goal rather than game in Morata's case - as you have done above. Still not bad imho given his age at the time.

Okdoke so who u would you buy instead of him?

Have edited my post now.

I have absolutely no doubt that Morata will be a success for us if he signs..

You can quote me on that too.

Id also do a charity bet with Paddy there that he will score 15 league goals or more, obviously with a parameter around injuries..

I would say 20euro to the charity of the winners choice

0-14 paddy
    15 + Dave

My only ask is that the bet is void if he misses 10 games or more due to injury, if Jose doesn't play him thats tough **** for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lacazette, Costa, Lukaku, Aubemeyang

Personally I think Morata is a better all round player than all of those from temperament to style

Have edited my post now.

Out of them id agree on lacazette he is a top class player and doing it every year I also think he is athletic bound next season.

Again I don't think Lukaku is an option and he will be a world record without a doubt.

Aubamyang is an odd one for me i really don't think he would suit united the way jose plays he scores goals but he is not a workhorse type forward he uses his speed getting in behind.

Aubamyang also seems off to PSG.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Personally I think Morata is a better all round player than all of those from temperament to style

I think Lukaku is ungettable given his "unfinished business" at Chelsea by all accounts. I would not want Costa at all (there is also his age) and Morata also has a few years more on his side than Aubemeyang.

I agree that Lacazette would definitely be another potentially good option though (and is young enough too)

If I had a magic wand, I would love Kane myself tbh but he's ungettable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement