Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Really hope we don't sign Dier. I just don't see anything other than a very average player in good at best.

I thought he was excellent last season, but seeing him alongside Wanyama this season past, my initial thoughts on him have definitely dropped.

Definitely not as good as I first thought, and don't think is worth pursuing for that sort of money

TheDoc wrote: »
    I thought he was excellent last season, but seeing him alongside Wanyama this season past, my initial thoughts on him have definitely dropped.

Definitely not as good as I first thought, and don't think is worth pursuing for that sort of money

Wanyama would be the player to get out of that duo.

My concern over the Ronaldo situation is that it could detract from other business being completed. People getting too excited at this out of the blue opening and shifting mountains.

While obviously a welcome addition, we have serious business to conclude to get this team ready for a league challenge, and should make sure that happens.

Must say, this Ronaldo stuff feels different than before. Still not going to let myself buy into it, but it's a fascinating prospect. Raises questions on Morata, when you will have Ronaldo playing #9. And Ronaldo will only fit in at 9. And be a different type of 9 to what Jose would ideally like, but **** me would be be plundering goals.

I'd be moving mountains to, to check if this was legit and then make a big offer and re-sign him, but need to keep eyes on the overall strategy and not fall into another saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jayo26 wrote: »

Looks like the same chain every scobie had around my area when I was a wee lad.

Utd/ Liverpool/ Or the stylish hash leaf. ......Ah inner city Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He looks like Cuba Gooding Jr in Jerry Maguire :D

astradave wrote: »
    He looks like Cuba Gooding Jr in Jerry Maguire :D

Good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be moving mountains to, to check if this was legit and then make a big offer and re-sign him, but need to keep eyes on the overall strategy and not fall into another saga.

No need to move mountains. Seeing as they share the same agent, it just takes one phone call. There is no doubt that Mourinho will know whether it's possible or not.

I think you are right about the rest too. As much as I would love him to return, he will very likely stay at Madrid and this is just a distraction to our transfer plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is anyone else in for Morata?

I guess I'd be a bit concerned that he won't take too kindly to being put on hold to see if we can get Ronaldo. He must be sick of playing second fiddle to him (or 3rd, 4th or 5th fiddle I guess when you look at Madrid's attacking options). Depends what the market for him is like and if he'd take it personally. I guess I wouldn't care about any of that when I'd be receiving a few hundred grand a week.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if we did miss out on Morata provided we get someone in. I'm not enamoured with any of the targets we're being linked to up front (Morata, Lukaku, Bellotti) which is why I really want Ronaldo and I don't care what the price is. It's not coming out of my pocket. I'd rather be watching Ronaldo up front for us in the Champions League next year than Morata, Lukaku, Bellotti, Martial, Rashford etc. That's what it's all about for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I assume the Morata delay is the clubs haggling over price. Madrid want to recoup huge money from Mrata and James to buy the Monaco lad.

Reports are he agreed terms with United before he went to get married/ honeymoon. It's just the clubs valuations now I imagine. Which is an annoying way of doing things imo, but I've never been involved in multi-million pound transfer deals before :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I guess I'd be a bit concerned that he won't take too kindly to being put on hold to see if we can get Ronaldo.

But you could also look at it from Real's point of view. If there is a risk of them loosing Ronaldo then will they really want to sell Morata? It could be that they are telling him nothing will be decided on his future until the Ronaldo situation is resolved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

But you could also look at it from Real's point of view. If there is a risk of them loosing Ronaldo then will they really want to sell Morata? It could be that they are telling him nothing will be decided on his future until the Ronaldo situation is resolved.

Morate won't be moving up the pecking order though; if Ronaldo goes, they will bring in Mbappe to replace him. At which point, Morata is still going to be warming the bench for them.

Bayern ruling themselves out of any moves for Ronaldo.

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2017/06/hoax-of-the-day-ronaldo

The Italian sport paper Gazetto dello Sport has been reporting in recent days that FC Bayern are interested in signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid. Following this publication, the rumour, as well as others, was picked up and spread further by numerous German media sources.

Bayern’s Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge had this to say: "We’re used to being the subject of intense transfer speculation during transfer windows. Normally we don’t comment on rumours, but in this case, we would like to make our position on Cristiano Ronaldo absolutely clear: This rumour is completely unfounded and must be consigned to the realms of fantasy.”

I actually wish more clubs would be so vocal about shutting down rumours...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca going with if Ronaldo leaves Real Madrid then Mbappe will be brought in.

Happy Ronaldo week everyone* :D

*note: I will be starting every week like this until his future is sorted :D

• astradave wrote: »
    Happy Ronaldo week everyone* :D

*note: I will be starting every week like this until his future is sorted :D

pp,550x550.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Morate won't be moving up the pecking order though; if Ronaldo goes, they will bring in Mbappe to replace him. At which point, Morata is still going to be warming the bench for them.

Yes, logically you'd expect MBappe to go to Madrid if Ronaldo is sold. But why take any risks until that deal is wrapped up if Ronaldo goes? Look what happened with De Gea. Imagine if they sold Ronnie and Morata and then on deadline day the deal for MBappe fell through. Unlikely but I dont see the need for the club to take unnecessary risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This Ronaldo stuff seems like him using United to get Madrid to pay his taxbill... Madrid players (last one was Ramos), love to use united as a bargaining chip when they intend on staying with Madrid.

In terms of some of the rumours, he is not worth ?175 plus De Gea (in all fairness, prob tabloid bollox), unless that includes the cost of his wages in a 4 year contract. I agree with a ?100mil price tag on de Gea so Ronaldo is not worth ?275mil before wages.

In terms of Marketing potential, I believe he still retains the rights to most of the marketing potential so the club couldn't recoup much in that area. That's one of the reasons younger, exciting players are worth so much. You can negotiate more marketing control, but the older they get the less you can squeeze out of them.

Ronaldo, is such a quality player, that I think there is at least 2 more seasons of 35+ goals (in either league) which to be frank makes his signing worthwhile. Only downside is that it means Rashford and other long term strategies that might be planned, will be pushed to the back of the que.

I think the chances of Ronaldo actually leaving Madrid very slim. This looks like he's throwing the toys out of the pram and looking for somebody to give him back his rattler. Madrid will prob hush him back to sleep . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm enjoying the Ronaldo story this time around as it seems to have a lot of substance. Previous years there was no reason given for him wanting to leave Madrid.

My only worry is that he has one kid and I read he has recently had twins (could be nonsense) so is he going to be ok with them growing up in Manchester? Not that there is anything wrong with Manchester but I'm sure Madrid and Spain is a much more desirable place to be for him being Portuguese.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. We seem to be trying to resign former players every Summer now. Who's out there we can buy back? Danny Welbeck anyone?

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    In terms of some of the rumours, he is not worth ?175 plus De Gea (in all fairness, prob tabloid bollox), unless that includes the cost of his wages in a 4 year contract. I agree with a ?100mil price tag on de Gea so Ronaldo is not worth ?275mil before wages.

For the record, I think that rumour was the price for Ronaldo AND Morata.

150m - Ronaldo
    90m - Morata

So that figure would value DDG at 65m ish?

You won't get more than 60m for DDG though. As amazing as he is, again I say, goalkeepers quite simply do not get valued as highly as outfield players.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You won't get more than 60m for DDG though. As amazing as he is, again I say, goalkeepers quite simply do not get valued as highly as outfield players.

I agree with you in theory, but the value of an asset is can always change depending on how desparte the clubs are to sell/buy respectfully.

United value De Gea as one of the best around, and they know Madrid want him. Whats to stop United digging their heels in for more money as he appears to be extremely valuable to the club. If United let him go for more around 65 million, then its bad business IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good article on the Ronaldo situation here.

https://t.co/s2ZdazsHnu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I agree with you in theory, but the value of an asset is can always change depending on how desparte the clubs are to sell/buy respectfully.

United value De Gea as one of the best around, and they know Madrid want him. Whats to stop United digging their heels in for more money as he appears to be extremely valuable to the club. If United let him go for more around 65 million, then its bad business IMO.

Buffon joining Juve for €53million in 2001, its as close as I can find a comparison. I think football inflation has gone up at least 2 times in that timeframe. United bought Veron for a similar fee that season, when Veron was considered the best midfielder in Serie A back when Serie A was a serious top league with powerful teams. We bought Pogba for €105mil, in a Serie A not considered as strong a league as it was when we bought Veron!

It doesn't mean that DDG is worth 100mil, but I think when you are talking about a keeper of this quality, their value is proportionately higher. Call it a "world class" top 2 inflation. If Pogba is worth 100mil (and hes not a forward), does that same price really sound unreasonable for DDG ?

I agree Madrid will not want to pay that much for DDG as they historically don't like paying much for defensive players. But the question will really be how much do they want him. If the club doesn't have to sell I don't see why they would take less then 100mil for him.

Buffon joining Juve for €53million in 2001, its as close as I can find a comparison. I think football inflation has gone up at least 2 times in that timeframe. United bought Veron for a similar fee that season, when Veron was considered the best midfielder in Serie A back when Serie A was a serious top league with powerful teams. We bought Pogba for €105mil, in a Serie A not considered as strong a league as it was when we bought Veron!

It doesn't mean that DDG is worth 100mil, but I think when you are talking about a keeper of this quality, their value is proportionately higher. Call it a "world class" top 2 inflation. If Pogba is worth 100mil (and hes not a forward), does that same price really sound unreasonable for DDG ?

I agree Madrid will not want to pay that much for DDG as they historically don't like paying much for defensive players. But the question will really be how much do they want him. If the club doesn't have to sell I don't see why they would take less then 100mil for him.

If there is to be infaltion on the goalkeeper fee's, De Gea should be the man who is worth holding out for more. We dont need to sell, De Gea seems content to stay (depending on what you read) and we would be in a position to demand more than 65 million depending on how bad Madrid want him. If Madrid dont shell out what we want, then tough for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

This Ronaldo stuff seems like him using United to get Madrid to pay his taxbill... Madrid players (last one was Ramos), love to use united as a bargaining chip when they intend on staying with Madrid

Yes, if Ronaldo was to hand in a transfer request and publicly commit to leaving Real, then there might be something to it. Its just the same old story as every year. 'Ronaldo mulls return to United' sells papers and advertising and gets Ronaldo pay rises and reassurance at Madrid. Has done ever since 2010 when he did his "only god knows" thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have to say it does feel a little different this time. Seems to be moe substance to it(Him leaving Madrid).

I dont remember it being like this in previous years.

I have to say it does feel a little different this time. Seems to be moe substance to it(Him leaving Madrid).

I feel its way more intense from both sides. Its not a bit of teasing or name dropping, its outright media warfare between both sides; Ronaldo (and, moreso, Mendes) leaking stories about wanting the move, and Perez leaking stories about going after Mbappe and other replacements.

Also feels the Real Madrid fans are more genuinely worried this time. Going on their Reddit page sees emotions ranging from panic to "He's not that important, lads!".

Of course, maybe they felt they needed to up the intensity because the severity of the other news surrounding Ronaldo...

The Ferguson comments. Did he actually say something quotable? I see mostly articles saying "people close to Ferguson" which is a bit pot stirring, but one link popped on google that looks like its a direct quote from Ferguson.

If SAF said it publicly and allowed himself be quoted on it, would make it different for me. If its just whispers of "oh well Ronaldo said to Ferguson in this private function no press were at" then its a bit pot stirring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really don't understand how people get sucked into it every summer and this summer he is more transparent than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Perez to make statement this evening. Could knock all this nonsense on the head

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    I really don't understand how people get sucked into it every summer and this summer he is more transparent than ever.

It doesnt really have anything to do with getting 'sucked in'. Most people know its unlikely to happen. But its the summer transfer window. Its the off-season. Whats wrong with people discussing possible signing, putting together fantasy line-ups. Its never taken too seriously, just something people enjoy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Perez to make statement this evening. Could knock all this nonsense on the head

Or blow the whole thing wide open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

zerks wrote: »
    Good article on the Ronaldo situation here.

https://t.co/s2ZdazsHnu

This part rings true
    A potential front three of Morata, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Ivan Perisic lacks stardust, which is why United explored the possibility of signing the Ronaldo-lite Gareth Bale

Very underwhelming. We used to have Tevez, prime Rooney, Chico, Berbatov and Ronnie to call on.

Its frustrating when you consider the amount of money we've spent in recent years how many average players we have in our squad. Still need an overhaul imo.

Sexual team goal from United v Bolton, 1995...

https://streamable.com/4za25

That's just filthy, should come with a NSFW warning.

Edit: And yes, that was Terry Cooke!

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/876773386860601347

"Mundo Deportivo reporting that Manchester United have submitted a €35m bid for Nélson Semedo at Benfica".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

stankratz wrote: »

Terry Cooke,Terry Cooke running down the wing :D

• stankratz wrote: »

Edit: And yes, that was Terry Cooke!

Sexual team goal confirmed by M!Ck^

A bit more on Semedo,seems like it's happening.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/876774707252670471

J. Marston wrote: »

I really don't understand why people get sucked into believing that when a group of fans on a forum discuss a player that's been linked to them it means they all think he is joining them.

Have you any suggestions on a topic to discuss? That's not speculation on what might possibly happen? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Have you any suggestions on a topic to discuss? That's not speculation on what might possibly happen? :)

What does Tahith Chong look like under all that hair?

JS107264343.jpg

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    What does Tahith Chong look like under all that hair?

Is Fergies Bum that squeeky?

Is Fergies Bum that squeeky?

Is Deaddonkey really dead?

Is Futureguy actually a girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This part rings true

Very underwhelming. We used to have Tevez, prime Rooney, Chico, Berbatov and Ronnie to call on.

Its frustrating when you consider the amount of money we've spent in recent years how many average players we have in our squad. Still need an overhaul imo.

We do have a lot of average players, but calling that front three lacking in "stardust" is a bit meaningless to be honest. If Morata does well and bags 25 goals next season, and if Mikhitaryan found his previous form then all of a sudden they would be considered to have "stardust", kids would be putting their names on shirts and they would be considered world class players.

I won't pretend to have watched Morata very much but he is definitely the profile of signing that I prefer, that player aged around 23/24 who has shown his potential and is now poised to break out and become the next big thing.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is Futureguy actually a girl

Does bangkok really have friends in rome?

Does Astra Dave actualy drive a Mini Cooper?

Does bangkok really have friends in rome?

Is Jayo26 really 26?

Does Astra Dave actualy drive a Mini Cooper?

I upgraded this year ;) no longer Astradave sadly :D

I upgraded this year ;)no longer Astradave sadly :D

If Astradave isnt Astradave then what happened the OG Astradave.

The plot thickens.

• Advertisement

Is Ronaldo coming home?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement