Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

1193194195196197199»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Personally I would be happy to give Darmian another shot at the right back berth and if we get another defender make it a left back.

I'd agree. A lot depends on the Shaw situation. I'd be happy for him and Blind one side with Darmian and Valencia on the other. If Shaw still isn't fancied it creates a lot of problems there though as I don't really like Darmian there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Its just sick that he is hired by both man utd and juventus at the same time to do a deal that makes him ****loads of money. He is trying to make as much money for juventus by screwing over united yet united have to pay him loads of money to do a deal. It just stinks. 41m for one deal!!! He probably had feck all to do as well. A few phone calls, flight to america to see pogba, flight to italy and probably a meeting in london. Football agents are rotten to the core. A bit like politicians

I agree agents are bad and he is one of the worst but the thing is your ignoring why he got 41 million and that the main elements of the deal happen in just about every transfer made every summer.

Firstly id imagine it's nothing new for agents to be paid by both clubs as an intermediary it sounds like it's quiet common.

Next up he wasn't paid 41 million for doing the deal and this is the important part he had a contract with juventus that entitled him to a percentage of the transfer fee and that is basically third party ownership which is not allowed.

Without that contract he would of earned probably maximum 15 million and no one would of questioned it as any different then any other deal.

But yes it does stink but every transfer stinks it's just when there is so much money involved it stinks more.

Hococop wrote: »
    Isn't modric up for the tax issue as well?

No he is accused for lying under oath when questioned a couple of year ago in reguards to his very first contract back in 2003. It's nothing to do with the Spanish he has to go back home for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

He is a better defender than both, better at bringing the ball out of defense with pace. Stronger than both, quicker than both.

Also it takes a great player to win the man utd player of the year award

Bangkok Logic:

Valencia is better because he won an award the others simply could never have won.

Extension of logic: The Green Bay Packers are a superior team to Arsenal by virtue of Superbowl appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/tijanigoulletad/status/877311153847881729
    "Cristiano rethinks it" "The judge summons him to testify on July 31 but He has felt comforted by the defense of Florentino"

He must have been angry and confused :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meanwhile, ballague has moved us onto our next drama and re-linked us to Lewandowski

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Meanwhile, ballague has moved us onto our next drama and re-linked us to Lewandowski

Wonder who will be next on his transfer dartboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

astradave wrote: »

ie R.Madrid are paying my tax

Morning papers have Chelsea going all out for Lewa..

Or maybe the press got it wrong again and are backtracking but everyone will blame ronaldo for using man united fans again to get money from Madrid???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or maybe the press got it wrong again and are backtracking but everyone will blame ronaldo for using man united fans again to get money from Madrid???

Fool me once, etc.

Ronaldo allows his agents to run with these stories every time he wants something. He threw his toys out of the pram when he wanted his Madrid move and disrespected the club big time with his slavery comments, and he continues to do so to this day.

I love Ronaldo the footballer, and I love that he played for us, but let's not get carried away with the Uncle Cristiano Coming Home narrative because it doesn't exist. His "love" for the club is/was no more than an appreciation for us being a stepping stone to where he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bangkok Logic:

Valencia is better because he won an award the others simply could never have won.

Extension of logic: The Green Bay Packers are a superior team to Arsenal by virtue of Superbowl appearances.

No he is better because he is quicker, stronger, better defender and better bringing the ball out of defense than the other 2

Fool me once, etc.

Ronaldo allows his agents to run with these stories every time he wants something. He threw his toys out of the pram when he wanted his Madrid move and disrespected the club big time with his slavery comments, and he continues to do so to this day.

I love Ronaldo the footballer, and I love that he played for us, but let's not get carried away with the Uncle Cristiano Coming Home narrative because it doesn't exist. His "love" for the club is/was no more than an appreciation for us being a stepping stone to where he is now.

Ronaldo didn't make any slavery comments? Blather made them comments.

Ronaldo in my opinion gave alot to the club and has only ever spoken nice of the club after that it's the fans fault if they want to get sucked into big stories and what not.

This is what happens so often now people attribute stories as coming from the horses mouth when in fact they didn't. Ronaldo is been a used of using the club again this summer even tho he didn't even make a comment whatsoever.

The media jump on stories and build them up and up and up because it is worth a fortune to them to be able link ronaldo and then it's a battle between them all to look like they have the inside scoop so they blow it up even more.

Ronaldo didn't make any slavery comments? Blather made them comments.

Blatter, an honorary member of Real Madrid with close ties to the club's president, Ramón Calderón, had described himself as "very much in sympathy" with Ronaldo and urged United to allow him to leave, suggesting it was otherwise tantamount to slavery. "I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said. I know what I want and what I would like. We have to see what happens. I do not know where I will begin next season."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Seen that yesterday from other sources. Ballague is just rehashing it. It's as much BS as the Ronaldo rumours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Blatter, an honorary member of Real Madrid with close ties to the club's president, Ramón Calderón, had described himself as "very much in sympathy" with Ronaldo and urged United to allow him to leave, suggesting it was otherwise tantamount to slavery. "I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said. I know what I want and what I would like. We have to see what happens. I do not know where I will begin next season."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

It's so long ago I'd forgotten about that.
    He really was going on a like a petulant little brat then wasn't he? Where as now he's... Oh hang on, yeah still a petulant little brat. He had no respect for the United when he was playing for us and his attitude hasn't changed to this day,great player but a horrible b@stard.

It's a pity United didn't release a statement about that situation telling him to take a running jump and stop using Manchester united as a bargaining chip for his annual wage increase negotiations with Florentino Perez.

Glazers Out!

I forgot that too haha the little *&#&+

nullzero wrote: »
    He really was going on a like a petulant little brat then wasn't he? Where as now he's... Oh hang on, yeah still a petulant little brat. He had no respect for the United when he was playing for us and his attitude hasn't changed to this day,great player but a horrible b@stard.

It's a pity United didn't release a statement about that situation telling him to take a running jump and stop using Manchester united as a bargaining chip for his annual wage increase negotiations with Florentino Perez.

Will you ever cop on. "A horrible b@stard"????

The man is a living legend, does tonnes of charity work and is the ultimate professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

nullzero wrote: »

Bayern released a statement to that effect. Proper way to do it, cut off all his money negotiation tactics.

I think he's pathetic in all honesty. Avoiding a giant amount of tax and throwing a tantrum until Daddy Madrid pays it for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The man is a living legend, does tonnes of charity work and is the ultimate professional.

He may have a great work ethic in relation to improving his game and a tremendous determination to better himself, but his stroppy attitude and petulance surely exempts him from the "ultimate professional" moniker.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He may have a great work ethic in relation to improving his game and a tremendous determination to better himself, but his stroppy attitude and petulance surely exempts him from the "ultimate professional" moniker.

Sure you could say the same about all the great players... messi, maradona, cantona.

If there is a more ulimate professional better than ronaldo in any sport i would like to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

If there is a more ulimate professional better than ronaldo in any sport i would like to see it

roger-federer2-2142450-1410507851.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This thread is a bit like what would happen if your mate told you he had been speaking to Rachel Riley and she said she fancied you and wouldn't mind meeting up for dinner.

You wouldn't believe him but you would still be giddy about it and dream about how good it would be.

But I guess now we are at the stage where we have copped on that she was never interested at all and so now she is a slut that we never liked anyway.

Sure you could say the same about all the great players... messi, maradona, cantona.

Darren Fletcher......

I think you are thinking a great player and an ultimate professional are one and the same. They are not.

Darren Fletcher......

I think you are thinking a great player and an ultimate professional are one and the same. They are not.

Ulimate professional at the top of his game. Sure you could name thousands of players in most sports even gaa who are ultimate professionals

Ulimate professional at the top of his game. Sure you could name thousands of players in most sports even gaa who are ultimate professionals

Yeah, you can thats my point, but Ronaldo isnt one of them. Hes too much of a self absorbed diva to be an ultimate professional. When he throws a strop, and disrespects his own players, he loses his professionalism.

My point being, Ronaldo isnt an Ultimate Professional.

He may be the most talent player ever, but he doesnt always act professionally or like a model pro.

But Roy Keane wasn't the ultimate professional and no one could or should argue that he was. That's what is being argued here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He may be the most talent player ever, but he doesnt always act professionally or like a model pro.

He not the most talented footballer ever. There are players with more that have done less. Its his pure application and dedication to bettering himself that has him amongst the greatest ever.

He is the ultimate professional in regards to applying himself to his sport.

Yeah, you can thats my point, but Ronaldo isnt one of them. Hes too much of a self absorbed diva to be an ultimate professional. When he throws a strop, and disrespects his own players, he loses his professionalism.

My point being, Ronaldo isnt an Ultimate Professional.

Ultimate professional as in looking after himself and improving on everything to be the best he can be. There is no one better.

Roy Keane was the ultimate professional as well but going by your logic he would be no where near the ultimate professional. He was a complete bully

• Advertisement

I'd say there's plenty of unfashionable footballers who would be far more qualified to be deemed an "ultimate professional" than the likes of Ronaldo, Keane etc.

To me, an ultimate professional is someone who (i) works and trains hard, (ii) never phones in a performance, (iii) doesn't cause any distractions and (iv) puts team glory ahead of individual glory.

If I was to pick one footballer who epitomises what I though an "ultimate professional" should be, it would have been Maldini. But then I'm not privy to any of his extra-curricular activities or how he's regarded in Italy. I know there was some controversy when he retired and Milan ultras criticised him, but from what little I read at the time I actually applauded Maldini for not pandering to them.

Lewandowski is an ultimate professional :):)

Lewandowski is an ultimate professional :):)

Haha he is upset at bayern for not helping him secure top scorer award... big baby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You'll slate players for doing their job if you don't like them and you let those you fan boy over get away with murder. You are consistently inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Ultimate Professional is the new World Class.....:cool:

You'll slate players for doing their job if you don't like them and you let those you fan boy over get away with murder. You are consistently inconsistent.

Huh??

• Advertisement

People would have said very similar things about Beckham re: his charity work, and yet recent revelations about him have proved otherwise. I'm a naturally sceptical person and the Beckham fallout did nothing to convince me otherwise that a lot of footballers who are very public with their charity work are doing so for their own marketability. Yes, the end result is still a good one and funds and awareness are being raised, but motives should be important too.

Ronaldo does a lot for charity, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it was another Beckham situation.

People would have said very similar things about Beckham re: his charity work, and yet recent revelations about him have proved otherwise. I'm a naturally sceptical person and the Beckham fallout did nothing to convince me otherwise that a lot of footballers who are very public with their charity work are doing so for their own marketability. Yes, the end result is still a good one and funds and awareness are being raised, but motives should be important too.

Ronaldo does a lot for charity, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it was another Beckham situation.

Ronaldo donates blood twice a year.

Fairly basic thing to do and doesnt get much publicity for it.

How many on boards do something that basic??

Im ashamed to say i dont...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Imagine getting CR7s blood....OMFG......:D

The point to he’s trying to make is that while it’s a nice gesture and a good thing to do as a human, celebrities in some cases only do charity work/good deeds for their own reputation rather than out of the goodness of their hearts.

It’s a great PR opportunity.

In relation Ronaldo donates blood twice a year, he got enough publicity from it since your aware of it. It makes him look good, but I’d be sceptical about his motives. I’d be of the thinking they do it to make themselves look good rather than out of goodness.

However, it’s still a good thing and good comes from it regardless of the motives.

astradave wrote: »
    But Roy Keane wasn't the ultimate professional and no one could or should argue that he was. That's what is being argued here

Who deleted their post? Now I look like a weirdo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

****ing hell.

The point to he’s trying to make is that while it’s a nice gesture and a good thing to do as a human, celebrities in some cases only do charity work/good deeds for their own reputation rather than out of the goodness of their hearts.

It’s a great PR opportunity.

In relation Ronaldo donates blood twice a year, he got enough publicity from it since your aware of it. It makes him look good, but I’d be sceptical about his motives. I’d be of the thinking they do it to make themselves look good rather than out of goodness.

However, it’s still a good thing and good comes from it regardless of the motives.

So he cant win either way. Does something good its only for his image. Does something bad, he is petulant. Its a lose lose situation.

That kid he paid the 80k for the operation to save his life, imagine how he and his mother felt when they recieved the cheque from him. Even if he did it to make himself look good, its an unbelievable thing to do. Pity there werent more people like him. The world would be a much better place

keane2097 wrote: »
    ****ing hell.

Hey! That's not very professional!!

So he cant win either way. Does something good its only for his image. Does something bad, he is petulant. Its a lose lose situation.

That kid he paid the 80k for the operation to save his life, imagine how he and his mother felt when they recieved the cheque from him. Even if he did it to make himself look good, its an unbelievable thing to do. Pity there werent more people like him. The world would be a much better place

Its the nature of being a celeb in the media eye. Most celebs do chairty work for their own motives. Its the reality of the business. Its not about winning or losing. If he's doing something good for the right reasons, he will be happy he does them regardless if he gets credit or not.

I agreed already that charity work is a great thing regaless of his motives. Im sure those who were positively effected wont care.

And regarless of his charity work, his actions are petunlant on the pitch, that you cant deny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats the demon of any celebrity in any walk of life, from Pitt to Ronaldo to Lady Gaga to FutureGuy to Cowell etc. Anything they do is automatically attached to their "pr" if they do nothing charitable they are a cnut, if they do something charitable its "only for the praise". Prisoners dilemma indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Roy Keane was the ultimate professional as well

Would an "ultimate professional" get sent off leaving his team a man down and face a lengthy ban to carry out pre-meditated retribution on an opponent?

I agree he was many positive things and had an attitude which, if all players had, would make football a much better game. But people are selective in what they include and exclude when it comes to matters like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Only twice?? You are allowed donate every three months so he is only doing HALF what he should be

#Unprofessional

:pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats the demon of any celebrity in any walk of life, from Pitt to Ronaldo to Lady Gaga to FutureGuy to Cowell etc. Anything they do is automatically attached to their "pr" if they do nothing charitable they are a cnut, if they do something charitable its "only for the praise". Prisoners dilemma indeed.

:pac: Brilliant

roger-federer2-2142450-1410507851.jpg

Just waiting for the day it comes out that he murders prostitutes in his spare time.

He's too squeaky clean for it to be legit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Closing thread ahead of 10000 posts. New one to open asap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement