Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Nope. Playing away from home, dealing with injuries to key players and a glut of matches - it is going to be a conservative formation imo. I don't think Fellaini and Herrera could protect the beaten up defence well enough to put Mkhitaryan in front of them rather than Carrick behind them.

I'd be raging if we didn't go for it tomorrow but I'm not that optimistic given the amount injuries.
    You might be right on Miki. I'd suspect the focus is well and truly on the EL.
    Hope Pogba is back for that also.
    Haven't heard word of City status on Silva or Augero either so that's still a question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think we have the defenders available to have that relatively attacking forward 6 vs Man City, away.

can't see Carrick not starting (rightly or wrongly)

De Gea
    Baily--Blind--Darmian
    Valencia
    Young
    Herrera-Carrick-Fellaini
    Lingard-Rashford

Wouldn't be shocked to see Shaw included to manage Sterlings pace(I don't find Sterling a particularly bright footballer either) and maybe utilise that wingback role on Shaw's side to pin them back a bit?

**** knows, I don't know what the gameplans or tactics are really anymore. I just imagine it will be some sort of sit deep containment job to then hit them on the break.

It's a pity about Pogba's injury, as these are the games I absolutely freak seeing Carrick in our midfield.

Could also see him go 4-2-3-1 with :
    4: Valencia, Baily, Blind, Darmian
    2 : Herrera, Carrick
    3 : Lingaard, Mhiki, Young
    1 : Rashford

Would be pleasantly surprised to see Martial lead the line, with Rashford on the left to break from deep but also provide help with Sterling and City's advancing RightBack.

Martial,Rashford, Mhiki and Lingaard is a seriously potent counter attacking threat away from home, against a team that is going to want to push us and retain possesion. Lingaard and Rashford have shown they can do good defensive shifts also, and are very strong running at pace from deep and putting ****s into teams who lose the ball.

Somehow expect Martial to be benched and lose the momentum he seemed to have builty against Burnley (probably demoralising the chap) and Shaw not to feature also even after putting in decent shifts lately.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really?

Has that not been abundantly obvious?

Think I pointed out some time ago, expect to see Pogba start to suffer muscle injuries in the run in, he's been overloaded. That was just such an obvious thing that was bound to happen after the summer he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Haven't heard word of City status on Silva or Augero either so that's still a question mark.

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/857216627552780288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wouldn't be shocked to see Shaw included to manage Sterlings pace(I don't find Sterling a particularly bright footballer either) and maybe utilise that wingback role on Shaw's side to pin them back a bit?

**** knows, I don't know what the gameplans or tactics are really anymore. I just imagine it will be some sort of sit deep containment job to then hit them on the break.

It's a pity about Pogba's injury, as these are the games I absolutely freak seeing Carrick in our midfield.

Could also see him go 4-2-3-1 with :
    4: Valencia, Baily, Blind, Darmian
    2 : Herrera, Carrick
    3 : Lingaard, Mhiki, Young
    1 : Rashford

Would be pleasantly surprised to see Martial lead the line, with Rashford on the left to break from deep but also provide help with Sterling and City's advancing RightBack.

Martial,Rashford, Mhiki and Lingaard is a seriously potent counter attacking threat away from home, against a team that is going to want to push us and retain possesion. Lingaard and Rashford have shown they can do good defensive shifts also, and are very strong running at pace from deep and putting ****s into teams who lose the ball.

Somehow expect Martial to be benched and lose the momentum he seemed to have builty against Burnley (probably demoralising the chap) and Shaw not to feature also even after putting in decent shifts lately.
    I just can't see Jose going offensive (either attacking triangle midfield 3 or a midfield 2 with 3 off a front man.

If not a three at the back, I reckon a 433 is the 'best' we could hope for. Maybe Rashford left, Mkhitaryan or (more likely imo) Lingard right and martial up top.

• Advertisement

rwbug wrote: »

Silva out would be a blessing.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat confident about our chances tomorrow, which taken in a season as a whole, I really shouldn't be.

I just don't rate that City squad at all and havn't for a while. Would be a dream to see a more adventurous Mourinho realise he can exploit others teams weakness' with our strengths, as opposed to tunnel visioning on dealing with their strengths.

Our wide players and central attackers can shred them to pieces if all firing, where as I'd be a lot more confident our defence can deal with their attack. Also think our midfield should be stronger also. Hope we do the business, but can't help think on Friday morning I'll be posting along the lines of disappointment we couldn't focus on our strengths and exploiting their weakness as opposed to containment and snatch a 1-0 on the break.

Be delighted to be proved wrong. Be the last thing City and Pep would expect, us going there to just maraud at their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think I pointed out some time ago, expect to see Pogba start to suffer muscle injuries in the run in, he's been overloaded. That was just such an obvious thing that was bound to happen after the summer he had.

The use of basically a first choice 11 in all the EL games perplexed me - I could never understand why Ibrahimovic was playing them all (or Pogba). Should have been seeing players like Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Willock in those games a bit.

• TheDoc wrote: »

No it isn't to me so that's why I ask. Pogba has played too many games I'd say but by the sounds of it Stringer is saying it in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bangkok wrote: »
    Joey barton banned for 18 months for betting. :)

You zerked this story:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

with that in mind i would go for

de gea

valencia
    bailly
    blind
    shaw

fellaini
    carrick
    herrera

mkhitarayan

rashford
    martial

Said about pogba the other day, id go with this

• Advertisement

• bangkok wrote: »

Thank looks like a team that want's to just go for it. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We have only TFM as a recognized CB/CM on the bench.

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Herrera, Carrick and Fellaini did well together in big games the last couple of seasons so hopefully follow the blueprint set in those games. Though I don't remember them being too hot against City...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Just watched the press conference there, how do some of those journalists get let in? "Anthony Joshua is fighting Klitschko is it kinda like United v City" I can only imagine Jose thinking "would you ever f?ck off".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I reckon that's what Jose'll go with, except maybe Darmian for Shaw - with an eye on protecting a potentially rusty Blind - and Lingard in for either Rashford or Martial, the latter more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Just watched the press conference there, how do some of those journalists get let in? "Anthony Joshua is fighting Klitschko is it kinda like United v City" I can only imagine Jose thinking "would you ever f?ck off".

Sounded like a sky reported trying to build up their heavyweight week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sounded like a sky reported trying to build up their heavyweight week

And the media wonder why Jose is often seen as grumpy in press conferences. Putting up with that shíte.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    And the media wonder why Jose is often seen as grumpy in press conferences. Putting up with that shíte.

Look it's like everything with jose it gets blown up no end. Wouldn't want any other manager at the moment he has improved the team no end in one year.

This is the starting 11's from the last time we played in the EFL Cup last year.

Man Utd: De Gea, Valencia, Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Carrick (c), Herrera, Mata, Pogba, Rashford, Ibrahimovic

I've bolded our players from that game still available for this one. 4 of those who started that game are out.

The City team doesn't hold as much relevance. That was the time that Aguero was being dropped anyway and Jesus will play.

Man City: Caballero, Maffeo, Otamendi, Kompany (c), Clichy, Fernando, Aleix Garcia, Nolito, Navas, Sane, Iheanacho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are crippled.

If we win tomorrow night I will take hat hat off to them.

• Advertisement

We are crippled.

If we win tomorrow night I will take hat hat off to them.

I'll eat your hat if we win :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Then what is it about?

I'd take Ronaldo at the club every day over Rooney also.

These are footballers, what more is there to what they do on the pitch? In terms of dressing room atmosphere or general operandum about the club, I'd take dozens of players ahead of Rooney

It's about who is bigger legend at ManUtd. Not which player has more quality.

Player who played his entire career at Manutd and helped us winning trophies or a player who helped us winning trophies and ****ed off at the earliest chance and spent his peak years elsewhere.

I'd be of the opinion that Jose has overplayed certain players during the season, but also that Jose hadn't exactly a blank canvas to paint on in a pressure-free environment.

In regards to the Europa League, our first group game was an away loss against Feyenoord on September 15th. I'd argue that because of that loss, and the other loss to Fenerbahce on November 3rd, Jose didn't have the free reign to rest his best players and experiment with the younger players in the Europa group stages that he would have liked to have.

Then by the time the Europa knockout stages came around, our league position dictated that Jose must treat the competition seriously as a route to CL and field what he sees as his strongest team on the day.

Whatever about some fans, I doubt the majority would have accepted an early Europa exit at the expense of the younger players getting game-time. Then there's the expectations of the United board, I doubt they viewed the Europa as an expendable competition in which to develop the youngsters, not this season.

Given our non-Top 4 league place now, had we have given less effort to the Europa and suffered a group exit from the tournament, fans would be livid right now for Jose discarding a genuine route to CL football for next season.

I do think Jose has overused Zlatan at times when he had Rashford and Martial available to deputise, Tony V when he had Darmian and TFM available for RB, Pogba in the middle, Pro. F made a good point earlier about Jose's use of Phil Jones. There's all of that.

However, it's obvious to me that Jose is going balls to the wall to try and make his first season at OT a successful one, and expecting players to go beyond their limits is part of that. I feel that those early setbacks in the Europa group stage as well as us falling way wide of the Top 4 early on in the PL season took some experimental options away from Jose. It put us in a pressure position where we were chasing that 'success' from early on, and in that situation it's not that crazy to see a manager choose to rely on the players he trusts most. Jose has talked a lot about this 'trust' lately.

Speaking of which, I have to trust that the manager knows what he is doing with his players fitness-wise despite any criticisms I have here. Given Jose has expressed interest in hanging around OT beyond the length of his current contract, would he risk crocking young players who he will be relying on for the next few seasons, at the expense of short-term success? Looking at his teams from the past, are there (m)any players that he overplayed who ended up retiring noticeably earlier than the average age for their position?

Maybe Jose has the tournament-free Summer ahead in mind and that plays its part in his use of certain players - "I need them to push themselves as hard as possible to that line in late May, then they can put their feet up for 6 weeks." Maybe he's a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" manager. Anyway, some of his best and most-used players (Zlatan, Pogba, Rojo, Valencia who is due to return for the derby) are injured at this late stage of the season. That's not a surprise to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jose has flogged a few players when there really wasn't any need imo.
    There was games when he could have given players so minutes at the end but choose not to.Game on Sunday was a prime example,team was cruising and could have made a few different changes

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Player who played his entire career at Manutd and helped us winning trophies or a player who helped us winning trophies and ****ed off at the earliest chance and spent his peak years elsewhere.

Ronaldo is the bigger legend for me?

Won the BalonDor playing for us, fired us to a premier league title and champions league, and reached for the first time a goalscoring level that most people would take for granted season after season.

Well for me anyway, that season is littered with incredible memories for me, not least the CL final and where I found myself watching it. Club legends are preference of the fans in question, and Ronaldo, one of the greatest players ever, one of the greatest goalscorers ever, is a bonafied club legend for me.

your comment on his exit is likely flavouring your view similarly as to how I view Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Then what is it about?

I'd take Ronaldo at the club every day over Rooney also.

These are footballers, what more is there to what they do on the pitch? In terms of dressing room atmosphere or general operandum about the club, I'd take dozens of players ahead of Rooney

What would you know about the dressing room atmosphere at United? What a load of sh*te.

Then used the interest from United to secure a bigger contract at Madrid. An unforgivable offense if someone else was to do that.

Quite simply, Ronaldo was the better player, Rooney was the better player for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rooney is the clubs record goalscorer what a bizarre argument.

In 50 years Rooney's name will be right up there and much higher on the list of club legend than Ronaldo.

Also I think people read way too much into some of Mourinho's comments.

• https://twitter.com/ManUtd_HQ/status/857283554476257280

It looks like Vidic is pissing himself laughing which makes this better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ronaldo didn't feck off at the earliest chance as Giggsy said. He stayed for another year after he could have left, probably largely due to Fergie but still.

Utd did well to hold on to him for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its not about appearances or trophies though, if it were Gary Neville would be a bigger legend than Cantona.

Being a legend is about a lot of intangibles and as much about influence as it is about stats. George Best and Bryan Robson are legends yet their stats are dwarfed by many lessor players, it isn't about stats.

Why is Ronaldo a legend? Because when at Manchester United under the great Alex Ferguson he was pivotal in the club winning only its 3rd European cup. Because he helped fire us to 3 Premier league titles in a row. Because he is one of only four Manchester United players to win the Ballon d'or when at the club. Because he scored 42 goals in a season. Because he won the FA, the league cup and the world club cup. Because most importantly, when at the club he was a reflection of the sort of romance the the club should be about, one of the worlds greatest ever players striving for success, demanding the worlds attention and backing it up with his action on the field.

Ronaldo is a United legend because his time at United was ****ing legendary.

adox wrote: »
    Ronaldo didn't feck off at the earliest chance as Giggsy said. He stayed for another year after he could have left, probably largely due to Fergie but still.

Ah the year of slavery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its not about appearances or trophies though, if it were Gary Neville would be a bigger legend than Cantona.

Being a legend is about a lot of intangibles and as much about influence as it is about stats. George Best and Bryan Robson are legends yet their stats are dwarfed by many lessor players, it isn't about stats.

Why is Ronaldo a legend? Because when at Manchester United under the great Alex Ferguson he was pivotal in the club winning only its 3rd European cup. Because he helped fire us to 3 Premier league titles in a row. Because he is one of only four Manchester United players to win the Ballon d'or when at the club. Because he scored 42 goals in a season. Because he won the FA, the league cup and the world club cup. Because most importantly, when at the club he was a reflection of the sort of romance the the club should be about, one of the worlds greatest ever players striving for success, demanding the worlds attention and backing it up with his action on the field.

This makes me sad that I didn't appreciate those seasons way more than I did :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My favourite post on here in a very long time.

What a post!!!

100% on the money

• Advertisement

In other news today... i cant believe john terrys mum hasnt got a mention... seen a video there today. Lets just say i would leave England right now and be never seen again if that was my mother :)

Buckety just made me cry ...........

Bangkok nearly ruined it with his BOOOOOOOM does he think he is a bloody arsenal fan now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

adox wrote: »

In the case of Ronaldo, he was phenomenal for United but you'd be a cold hearted fan to not feel upset by a player of his ability not wanting to be at your club.

There is no doubting Ronaldo's status as an icon at United, but ultimately his legacy will be more widely remembered for his time at Madrid at this stage.

Ronaldo states he has a special place in his heart for United, fair enough but it's like your gorgeous ex wife saying she still wants to be friends while she's of sh@gging someone else.

Glazers Out!

Crystal palace win would be so nice tonight. Get them safe before we meet them and get spurs out of the title race before we meet them.

nullzero wrote: »
    In the case of Ronaldo, he was phenomenal for United but you'd be a cold hearted fan to not feel upset by a player of his ability not wanting to be at your club.

There is no doubting Ronaldo's status as an icon at United, but ultimately his legacy will be more widely remembered for his time at Madrid at this stage.

Ronaldo states he has a special place in his heart for United, fair enough but it's like your gorgeous ex wife saying she still wants to be friends while she's of sh@gging someone else.

No it wont, he won more league titles at man utd than he did madrid and for 3 years in england was probably the greatest player ever to play in england.

Also winning euro with portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

In other news today... i cant believe john terrys mum hasnt got a mention... seen a video there today. Lets just say i would leave England right now and be never seen again if that was my mother :)

It's not his mother in that video.

yabadabado wrote: »

Don't burst his bubble leave him believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I had to look up what you were talking about?! Apparently it was mistaken identity. Not sure why you mentioned it tbh. :confused:

yabadabado wrote: »

ah dam, was hoping it would be.

I had to look up what you were talking about?! Apparently it was mistaken identity. Not sure why you mentioned it tbh. :confused:

because like most football fans we all hate john terry and the more to slag him about the better :)

I can't unsee that now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

because like most football fans we all hate john terry and the more to slag him about the better :)

Fair point :D

I'm not disputing whether Ronaldo was a ManUtd legend or not, so not sure why everytime point is missed. My point was Rooney was bigger legend for Manutd than Ronaldo.

Whatever you said also applicable to Rooney except not winning Ballon d'or but winning more league titles.

Ronaldo is the bigger legend for me?

Won the BalonDor playing for us, fired us to a premier league title and champions league, and reached for the first time a goalscoring level that most people would take for granted season after season.

Well for me anyway, that season is littered with incredible memories for me, not least the CL final and where I found myself watching it. Club legends are preference of the fans in question, and Ronaldo, one of the greatest players ever, one of the greatest goalscorers ever, is a bonafied club legend for me.

your comment on his exit is likely flavouring your view similarly as to how I view Rooney.

Fair enough, I just find it silly that people celebrate Ronaldo and **** on Rooney when Rooney was the one who gave more to this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Really like the look a Zaha this year . Pity he wasn't given a chance as he would have developed into a fine player

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement