Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RobertKK wrote: »
    Duncan Castles keeps pushing the Neymar to United story.
    He says Neymar wants to escape the shadow of Messi and Suarez and that he is not as loved by the fans as they are at the club.
    That he has gone from scoring 70 goals in 2 seasons to just 15 this year as the cloud over his transfer and the tax evasion problems fail to go away.
    He says he is scoring as normal for Brazil: 6 goals in 10 games.
    That United are prepared to pay the release clause and pay him what he wants to extract him from Barcelona.
    Castles thinks United will go for Neymar and Griezmann and that the injury to Ibrahimovic changed the transfer plans.
    That it would really drive up revenue for the club.

There was a story floating around earlier in the week about Messi's new contract negotiations and he is demanding Barca has a clear out of deadwood and bring in up to six new players, including a striker.
    The talk last year was that Barca were not exactly flush with cash, so it could be them wanting to cash in on Neymar, won't sell Messi and wouldn't get enough for Suarez.
    As good a player Neymar is, I'd hate to see us spend 170m on one player at this stage in the squad rebuilding. For as much cash as United are pulling in, that would be the bulk of the kitty for this year and there are too many areas to be addressed before such a mega signing.
    Looking like a new Gk, Cb, DM, and a striker are needed at a minimum this summer.
    Assuming the DeGea fee will cover his replacement, 170m would just about cover the other 3 players (e.g. Griezmann 85m, Bakayoko 55m, Cb for 30m)

One those areas are filled and settled and we are serious title contenders, add the stardust

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Losing Ibrahimovic is going to have a massive impact on our transfer dealings. I think we'll be looking to sign two big attacking names now (one out wide and one central)

How much wages have we cleared up if he doesn't sign? His, Rooney's (most likely), Schweinsteiger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Losing Ibrahimovic is going to have a massive impact on our transfer dealings. I think we'll be looking to sign two big attacking names now (one out wide and one central)

How much wages have we cleared up if he doesn't sign? His, Rooney's (most likely), Schweinsteiger...

Potentially Martial, Shaw, De Gea, Rooney, Carrick, And Zlatan could all be gone in the summer.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Potentially Martial, Shaw, De Gea, Rooney, Carrick, And Zlatan could all be gone in the summer.

This is it, really.

I don't believe you'll see us splash €170m on one player.

I do believe we'll break the transfer record again, and I do think you're going to see an utterly absurd amount of cash splashed, especially if we get back into CL football. And part of that is going to be financed by a good few outgoings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All were on six figures a week, Rooney is the guys of like 250-300k. I'd speculate Ibrahimovic was likely 200k and Schweinsteiger was reportedly 180k a week.

While there is the side of it being "not my money so I don't care" it does ramp the pressure on Mourinho to deliver titles. Tangible, premier league titles and CL success.

The club cannot sustain this "throwing money at it" approach if the form continues, as our revenue will just shrink and we will quickly run into trouble. Club needs to get back into the CL for a start consistently to relieve the inflated incentives and wages we will need to pay to entice talent.

Will only take a few more seasons of poor return on massive investment before the Glazers will start to sing a different tune.

This is it, really.

I don't believe you'll see us splash €170m on one player.

I do believe we'll break the transfer record again, and I do think you're going to see an utterly absurd amount of cash splashed, especially if we get back into CL football. And part of that is going to be financed by a good few outgoings.

I think we will spend big regardless of if we have UCL football, but it will obviously influence who will come to us. We may have to pay higher wages to entice star names to come to us if we dont make it to the UCL.

TheDoc wrote: »
    While there is the side of it being "not my money so I don't care" it does ramp the pressure on Mourinho to deliver titles. Tangible, premier league titles and CL success.

Absolutely.

I can forgive this season. I can come up with...excuses, I guess is the word I need to use. **** luck, player problems with finishing, etc.

But if I gets proper backing this summer and has us battling for top 4 again next season, then yeah, pressure is going to be on him big time.

I'm massively excited for the summer though, and massively curious to see how it all unfolds.

Absolutely.

I can forgive this season. I can come up with...excuses, I guess is the word I need to use. **** luck, player problems with finishing, etc.

But if I gets proper backing this summer and has us battling for top 4 again next season, then yeah, pressure is going to be on him big time.

I'm massively excited for the summer though, and massively curious to see how it all unfolds.

With the names mentioned above potentially leaving (I doubt all will go, I reckon Shaw could stay), United have some gaps to fill.

Rooney, Martial and Zlatan all departing would leave some pretty big holes to fill. Our midfield and defence needs at least a player each too, and if De Gea goes to Real, then we need a suitable top draw replacement of proven talent.

Smalling and Jones could depart too as well. We could see a lot of activity depending on what goes down.

With the names mentioned above potentially leaving (I doubt all will go, I reckon Shaw could stay), United have some gaps to fill.

Rooney, Martial and Zlatan all departing would leave some pretty big holes to fill. Our midfield and defence needs at least a player each too, and if De Gea goes to Real, then we need a suitable top draw replacement of proven talent.

Smalling and Jones could depart too as well. We could see a lot of activity depending on what goes down.

I'd be surprised if Jones went. I think Smalling could, in terms of I don't think he'll be happy as a bench player. But Jones might be more amenable to that, given when he's not injured, Jose was giving him a tonne of playing time, and he seemed to preform really well. Defense wise, it would be one in, one out.

Blind is also a wildcard there too. Doesn't fit the mold of a Jose CB and is clearly only a last resort there. Doesn't seem to fit the mold for a full back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I expect/demand a title challenge next season as well, thats just the way it is.

When you think about it though, it is slightly crazy to be expecting so much so soon. The club has went through some massive changes, has basically wasted three years of development on **** managers and regardless of sunk costs that squad still needs a serious injection of quality, for numerous reasons there absolutely will be a lot of changes in personnel over the next few seasons. And yet the demand is for the manager to take all that and still create a title winning team in year two.

Viewed dispassionately it doesn't make much sense, with a manager in his first season and a team that was a bit of mess a title challenge in year two should really be seen as optimistic.

Thats the cost of being Mourinho though, those are the expectations and he will have to meet them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fact is United are not scoring enough goals so there will be two big signings with Zlatan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fosu Mensah injured himself last night. Chance for Tuanzebe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

If De Gea signs for Madrid in the Summer, and United qualify for CL football I would love the club to push for options on their players. Personally I would love to see Benzama or Varane playing for United next season.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fosu Mensah injured himself last night. Chance for Tuanzebe?

Last corner of the game for City and Fosu Mensah looked like he was holding his shoulder in some discomfort. I just thought to myself 'how do you injure yourself that quickly?'.

Bad luck all told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Prays Pogba will be back for Swansea.

Last corner of the game for City and Fosu Mensah looked like he was holding his shoulder in some discomfort. I just thought to myself 'how do you injure yourself that quickly?'.

Bad luck all told

It happens. A bad tackle can happen anytime or a bad fall. It sucks.

I would love Varane.

I wouldnt mind Van Dijk. Not a Galactico name but knows how to play in the League.

Headshot wrote: »
    Prays Pogba will be back for Swansea.

I doubt they will risk his hamstring with the trip to Spain on the horizon. I fear our midfield shape will be very disjointed Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fosu Mensah dislocated his shoulder, he was in hospital last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For Sunday I would go:

De Gea
    Valencia--Baily--Blind--Shaw
    ----Herrera-Carrick-Rooney
    Lingard
    Young
    Rashford

Another possibility is playing Tuanzebe beside Bailly and playing Blind in midfield with Rooney up front instead of Rashford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

For Sunday I would go:

De Gea
    Lingard
    Young
    Rashford

Another possibility is playing Tuanzebe beside Bailly and playing Blind in midfield with Rooney up front instead of Rashford.

I think we should rest Rashford and play Martial as striker. Rashford has played a lot in last 2 weeks and his playing means he is exhausted. We need him fit and firing in Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think we should rest Rashford and play Martial as striker. Rashford has played a lot in last 2 weeks and his playing means he is exhausted. We need him fit and firing in Europa.

He looked proper mopey and out of sorts last night. Granted probably smart to not waste his energy pressing on his own, there was a lot of instances where plays just went by him without making much of an effort.

Looked like something was up with his leg. Did you notice he went to the sideline and Jose thought it was a drink, but Rashford was waving to the physio and Jose just turned him around and told him to carry on. Turned around to physio with "He is fine".

You would have missed it if you weren't looking, and I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this mission he is on.

Clearly he feels the squad is a bit mentally soft or a needs some toughening up, but is this coming at the expense of injuries? He did claim at one point early in the season how his injury record at clubs is exceptional, squad in tatters at present. Might see it as a worthwhile price to pay if it's thinking ahead to next season. But with two predecessors being sacked for failing to reach the CL, he must have some received some serious assurances that regardless of the situation he will be there next season. And rightly so mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

For Sunday I would go:

De Gea
    Lingard
    Young
    Rashford

We really are down to the bare bones of a squad, anymore injuries and Jose will have to tog out.
    Could have done with Bastian still around.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »

Rashford did look tired last night at the end of the game, might be no harm putting him on the bench at the weekend with Thursday in mind.

Is James Wilson still crocked? He seems to be the new Rossi with dodgy knees.

For Sunday I would go:

De Gea
    Lingard
    Young
    Rashford

Carrick worked his arse off on Thursday, I wonder will he be 100 percent

• Advertisement

If it came down to it, can United recall Andreas Pereira or did Granada pay a fee for the loan?

If it came down to it, can United recall Andreas Pereira or did Granada pay a fee for the loan?

Rooney would be an option, hes played there before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't think that's allowed anymore. You can only recall a player during the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rooney would be an option, hes played there before

I think unless Pogba is back it's inevitable we'll see Rooney in Midfield at some stage on Sunday.

Jose reckons Mata is close to a return, and Pogba should be fit in time for next Thursday's Europa game.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Apr/team-news-for-manchester-united-v-swansea-city-sunday-30-april.aspx

Select quotes...
    Jose wrote:

"I think the first one to be back is Mata, which gives us another option in attack but, in reality, what we need now is one of the two central defenders to be back."

"I am also training hard in the gym so I can be an option also – Mourinho and Tuanzebe against Swansea!"

"In this moment, Eric is the only option we have – it’s Axel, Eric and Daley. I think Eric and Daley played again absolutely amazing [against City]. I have to speak with them and see how they are and see how they feel."

"The other small injuries – Pogba and Valencia in the last week - are injuries due to fatigue and the accumulation of matches, which is normal."

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    I think unless Pogba is back it's inevitable we'll see Rooney in Midfield at some stage on Sunday.

When asked about that, Jose merely said it was an option and that we're stuck in that area...
    Jose wrote:
    It's an option. We have Herrera and Carrick and nothing else. Tim is another one that we miss so we are in trouble but we will fight that’s for sure.

When asked if it was a mistake to let the Schmidfield leave the club...
    Jose wrote:
    To have lots of players without playing is something the players don’t want," said the manager. "We didn’t tell Morgan we wanted to sell him. Morgan asked, 'Please sell me, I want to go. I want to play every game.'

Sometimes there is always this dilemma, to keep a bigger squad but the players don’t want to stay. Even young players, when they’re not playing, they ask to leave so it is very hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Is it safe to reappear after yesterday?

Match thread worth a read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Is it safe to reappear after yesterday?

Match thread worth a read?

Some typical gems from Peps chief proctologist and a few fans of the Scouse, other than that not much in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Just seen last night's game now. While I don't want to defend Fellaini I thought the referee was as stupid as the Belgian.

He was in the middle of booking Fellaini for the first foul, had called him over and was writing the name down. Meanwhile City had taken the free kick and he inexcusably didn't stop them, but hurriedly stopped writing and ran after them, as did Fellaini who was out of position because the referee called him over.

I thought that was a shocking piece of officiating and merits investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I personally thought Aguero should have gotten a yellow for simulation but not many refs would have the actual boll1cks to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I know there are a lot of posters here who like Fellani and Mourinho has a liking for him but the chap is useless and should be sold on this summer. He doesn't contribute anything. The only thing going for him is his height and physical attributes and he usually pops up to score the odd goal most of the time with his head. He is in no way a United quality player and more suited to the likes of Everton or a mid table club. We should extend Carricks contract for another year in the Summer if agreeable with him and just get another proper defensive midfielder with an actual footballing brain.

billyhead wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of posters here who like Fellani and Mourinho has a liking for him but the chap is useless and should be sold on this summer.

He's legit been one of our more consistent players this year. One stupid red doesn't undo his whole season, and tbh, it feels more like he had shut a lot of his haters up, and they've seen this as a chance to lump on again.

Fellaini absolutely deserves to be a squad player for us. Not first team. But calling for him to be sold after the season he has had is ludicrous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

thelad95 wrote: »
    I personally thought Aguero should have gotten a yellow for simulation but not many refs would have the actual boll1cks to do that.

Especially one who is a Leeds fan.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Zizouology/status/858022778863329284?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Ftransfer-tweets-2017.424394%2Fpage-99

If there's any truth to City bidding €60 million for Benficas keeper Ederson then De Gea is worth €80 million plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I know there are a lot of posters here who like Fellani and Mourinho has a liking for him but the chap is useless and should be sold on this summer. He doesn't contribute anything. The only thing going for him is his height and physical attributes and he usually pops up to score the odd goal most of the time with his head. He is in no way a United quality player and more suited to the likes of Everton or a mid table club. We should extend Carricks contract for another year in the Summer if agreeable with him and just get another proper defensive midfielder with an actual footballing brain.

Ridiculous post.

He is plenty good enough to be a squad player and a moment of madness doesn't change that.I would be shocked if Jose wanted rid of him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Zizouology/status/858022778863329284?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Ftransfer-tweets-2017.424394%2Fpage-99

If there's any truth to City bidding ?60 million for Benficas keeper Ederson then De Gea is worth ?80 million plus.

If he is worth 60m then DDG is double that ,they aren't comparable imo.

He's legit been one of our more consistent players this year. One stupid red doesn't undo his whole season, and tbh, it feels more like he had shut a lot of his haters up, and they've seen this as a chance to lump on again.

Fellaini absolutely deserves to be a squad player for us. Not first team. But calling for him to be sold after the season he has had is ludicrous...

Ok. He might be a decent squad player. But for the heights we propose to reach as a club in years to come i.e winning PL & eventually CL titles we can do a lot better. Would he actually make Barcas or Reals squad? Don't think so and these are the teams we should be trying to emulate. What got under my skin was the way we set up against City. Ok we were crucified with injuries but we were completely negative and the way the players celebrated at the away fans end after the game was a disappointment. We are Man Utd for f*cks sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ok. He might be a decent squad player. But for the heights we propose to reach as a club in years to come i.e winning PL & eventually CL titles we can do a lot better. Would he actually make Barcas or Reals squad? Don't think so and these are the teams we should be trying to emulate. What got under my skin was the way we set up against City. Ok we were crucified with injuries but we were completely negative and the way the players celebrated at the away fans end after the game was a disappointment. We are Man Utd for f*cks sake.

Last line is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    Last line is hilarious.

I didn't see them celebrate but did they? I'd be pretty pissed if the had celebrated like they had just drawn to West brom.

If it was just the usual thank you to the fans that's nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

jayo26 wrote: »
    I didn't see them celebrate but did they? I'd be pretty pissed if the had celebrated like they had just drawn to West brom.

If it was just the usual thank you to the fans that's nothing.

I was talking about "we are Man Utd for ****s sake"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    I was talking about "we are Man Utd for ****s sake"

Ok sorry no need further language with me :)

"We are Man United" makes it sound like we have some Devine right to being a top tier team. I don't know how anyone could watch the three previous seasons to this and think "we are Man United" is anything but a nice sentiment with very little basis in reality.

"We are Man United" makes it sound like we have some Devine right to being a top tier team. I don't know how anyone could watch the three previous seasons to this and think "we are Man United" is anything but a nice sentiment with very little basis in reality.

I understand that and realize we are in a transition period but do you actually condone celebrating a scrappy draw with City as the some players were with the away end supporters after the game. Standards have completely dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You must have missed the Chelsea game and the 83 minutes prior to his sending off. But hey don't let facts about one of the more consistent players in the team this season blindside your knee jerk reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement