Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

billyhead wrote: »
    I understand that and realize we are in a transition period but do you actually condone celebrating a scrappy draw with City as the some players were with the away end supporters after the game. Standards have completely dropped.

Have you got a video of this? Can't seem to find anything online.

Thought the pool fans would be posting it over and over after the slagging they got against West Brom but can't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

astradave wrote: »

Thought the pool fans would be posting it over and over after the slagging they got against West Brom but can't find anything

Didnt see it happen but I heard it happen from a reliable football pundit whom airs on the radio. Look Fellani has been a decent player for Utd for the last 3-4 years but in order to move to the next level next season and be challenging for the leage and hopefully have a good run in the CL if we qualify we need better players both in reserve and obviously in the 1st team. Only about 6 current players I can think of should be 1st teamers if we want to achieve our ambitions and don't keep saying its a transition stage. Results, performances and success should start from the 1st kick of the ball next season

billyhead wrote: »
    Didnt see it happen but I heard it happen from a reliable football pundit whom airs on the radio. Look Fellani has been a decent player for Utd for the last 3-4 years but in order to move to the next level next season and be challenging for the leage and hopefully have a good run in the CL if we qualify we need better players both in reserve and obviously in the 1st team. Only about 6 current players I can think of should be 1st teamers if we want to achieve our ambitions and don't keep saying its a transition stage. Results, performances and success should start from the 1st kick of the ball next season

So you actually have no proof of it at all? Yet you are using it to back up your assertion that the players shouldn't do it cause "we are Man Utd".

Could it have been that the players were applauding the fans and thanking them for their continued support throughout the match? Like they do after most away games?

I'd like to see that footage too if it's going. Jose has been vocal about his players paying respect to the tremendous away fans after matches, was it that? If our lads did the curtain call that Pool conducted after their WBA draw, that would be bad, but there's multiple threads on Boards alone where I'm sure we would have seen it.

Edit: Just from looking at the footage available - The United players shook hands with their team-mates and opponents, some of them helped lift TFM from the ground, Jose headed for the tunnel.

It's a non-story IMO. The real story lies here, Pep and Carrick...

https://streamable.com/oboz5

Sure, it's probably just the lads paying mutual respect to each other. Could just as likely be HD footage of Pep trying to sell Carrick something and Carrick laughing it off - "Pep, the final whistle literally just blew, you're a mad c*nt!" Pep: "Money don't sleep, Pep gotta eat."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

stankratz wrote: »
    I'd like to see that footage too if it's going. Jose has been vocal about his players paying respect to the tremendous away fans after matches, was it that? If our lads did the curtain call that Pool conducted after their WBA draw, that would be bad, but there's multiple threads on Boards alone where I'm sure we would have seen it.

Edit: Just from looking at the footage available - The United players shook hands with their team-mates and opponents, some of them helped lift TFM from the ground, Jose headed for the tunnel.

It's a non-story IMO. The real story lies here, Pep and Carrick...

https://streamable.com/oboz5

Sure, it's probably just the lads paying mutual respect to each other. Could just as likely be HD footage of Pep trying to sell Carrick something and Carrick laughing it off - "Pep, the final whistle literally just blew, you're a mad c*nt!" Pep: "Money don't sleep, Pep gotta eat."

Should not be talking to the city manager doesn't he know we are Manchester United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The away fans were in good spirits after the final whistle, as you would expect given the circumstances, especially when United went down to 10 men. Holding out at the end was good to see, the City fans were mocking the United fans, which is also understandable.

Didn't see players celebrating, saw some saluting the away support.......as they always do.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

thelad95 wrote: »
    I personally thought Aguero should have gotten a yellow for simulation but not many refs would have the actual boll1cks to do that.

I personally think Aguero should have two weeks out as per concussion protocols.

The away fans were in good spirits after the final whistle, as you would expect given the circumstances, especially when United went down to 10 men. Holding out at the end was good to see, the City fans were mocking the United fans, which is also understandable.

Didn't see players celebrating, saw some saluting the away support.......as they always do.

It was a good result for the fans it was just a shot game to watch but neatly everyone would take a draw and move on I'm happy with it anyway.

If we beat Swansea Sunday morning I guarantee you not one person will give the derby game a second thought and I guarantee you a group of fans will be a little bit more nervous about their own result to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yaya talking a load of bollix in the press about City being the biggest club in Manchester,they couldn't even fill their ground for the derby and are advertising tickets on general sale for the next home game.United are advertising the opportunity to join the waiting list for tickets for next season.

FB_IMG_1493418726873.jpg

I found this interesting we have just matched our longest undefeated run which was with Fergie in 10/11 The funny thing about it is we had nine draws in that run versus eleven in this run it seems like we have been terrible with draws but we have had a fair bit of bad luck in a lot of them draws.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Yaya talking a load of bollix in the press about City being the biggest club in Manchester,they couldn't even fill their ground for the derby and are advertising tickets on general sale for the next home game.United are advertising the opportunity to join the waiting list for tickets for next season.

Never mind the stadium they wouldnt even fill a quarter of our trophie cabinet

jayo26 wrote: »

They have a trophy shelf:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You must have missed the Chelsea game and the 83 minutes prior to his sending off. But hey don't let facts about one of the more consistent players in the team this season blindside your knee jerk reaction.

Where we were completely dominated an unquestionably outplayed to the point that we could hardly string 3 or 4 passes together let alone do it in their half. Our midfield, which included Fellaini, offered little to protect against the relentless waves of City attacks and provided no foundation whatsoever to transition from defence into attack. But for the performances of Bailly and de Gea, and some poor finishing from City we would have lost that game comfortably.

I really don't think Fellaini can be praised for his role in that performance before his red card. We just about got away with it, especially after his silly sending off.

Jaysus that's being generous

Jaysus that's being generous

No sure they won some of the lower league trophies 20 year ago did they?

No sure they won some of the lower league trophies 20 year ago did they?

Division One winners 2001-02

Division Three Playoff Winners 1998-99

stankratz wrote: »
    Division One winners 2001-02

Division Three Playoff Winners 1998-99

They are big trophies infairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Honestly don't see Fellani lasting the summer here. In a formation that suits him in a more forward poisition as a attacking prowess, i think he can do very well, but i don't think it's here. He's not a midfielf player end of the day, he wants to be up there flicking, heading balls on to the forwards. It's by far his best quality.

If he goes, i'll wish him the best and hope he gets to a team that benfits him. Hasn't been the best at utd but so have alot of players and he's been a bit of a scapegoat sometimes ( not talking about last night, he was an idiot there for reacting)

Anyway onwards and upwards, now a point wasnt bad, and against swansea on sunday i expect a full 3 points. With the amount of injuries we do have we should be bagging in a few goals with miki, martial and lingard. Want rashers to be rested for europa but want the 3 points so the front guys need to step up. Clement is a decent manager and seems to know hia stuff though.

Maybe martial upfront, miki,lingard,young behind him. Not sure.
    First post in the soccer forum and in my footie thread so sorry if its a big'n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I will buy a hat and eat it if Fellaini is not here next year.

Amazing what reputation does instead of actually watching games.

Fellaini has been as good if not better than Pogba this season.

Nuts102 wrote: »

If he's here, he's here, my point probally came across wrong. He's a decent squad player to have and now rereading my post i didnt come across right. Going to have to disagree about pogba. Pogba thrives in midfield, fellani needs to play off the forward to utulise him but he's been put in as a plug hole. Fair enough Fellani's had a good few games but by far pogba's intent on the ball is better.

• Advertisement

The mornings papers. De Gea is getting closer to leaving.
    Madrid will offer 3 star players to tempt United.

United are to spend £170 million on a new attack.
    Marquinhos and Lindedorf are top defensive targets.
    A bid of £17 million is to be tabled for Talisca.

Joe Hart is open to a move to United.......lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is a new centre half needed I think Rojo after a shaky start has been brilliant the last few months.

Is a new centre half needed I think Rojo after a shaky start has been brilliant the last few months.

Bailly has been a brillant signing and himself and rojo have been immense. Im delighted for rojo, anytime a free kick/corner is against us, you see him shouting at the guys making his voice heard. And Bailly i dont think many could say a bad word.

I reckon if we do get a new cb, smalling or jones will go. Hopefully jones, the guy is made of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Fellaini is decent mid-table player but that's not the standard I want. He's not even great at being a nuiscance in the box to hit long balls at in the last minute because he gets penalised too often. Maybe there's a use for him as a squad filler but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If Kroos could be factored into the DDG deal if it's true then it would be great. Exactly the type of player utd need in that position. Be sad to see DDG go but it's looking more and more likely at this stage

Are you nuts???? Oh uhh just seen your name haha.

Anyway this right here of all the stuff I have read is crazy and the reason it's crazy is pogba brings more to the team in absolutely every department apart from aerial duels.

Even before his card the other night I said this game shows why we miss pogba we needed a midfielder that will take the ball and look forward and pass forward.

In the first half along fellaini had the ball at his feet and twice there was a forward ball in behind the defence an attacker had broken threw he passed it bloody backward instead of taking a chance.

The worst one of all was before he got sent off he had the ball and rashford was behind his defender fellaini looked but played the ball out to martial.

Fellaini breaks up play he is good at that but he does not great enough chances or assist any goals or score enough goals to be near a first team regular he is a great choice when yo are wanting to keep a game physical.

He won't be sold in happy enough with that but I also know his place and he offers less to us then pogba and Herrera and probably Carrick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Would hate to see DDG leave but as has been said, we are in a much better defensive position than we have been in for years.

If he is to leave then we should take them to the cleaners if they want him.

He has a few years left on his contract and is entering his prime years.

Anything less than an opening offer of £50m should be flat out rejected.

We hold all the cards and should act as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Real Madrid have already started talking bollox about United having a hidden agenda to get De Gea out. That's a new tactic. It'll surely be followed up by a few club officials saying that they'll take De Gea off our hands if we are throwing him out. Madrid then like to set the price we will sell him for by leaking stories that Zidane won't sanction a bid of over €12 million and that they will move on to other targets if we don't sell by a certain date. Then on the last day of the transfer window they finally get serious and start negotiating. Standard Real Madrid transfer shíte.

I think we will sell De Gea and Martial for about £120 million and lump that with our normal £150 million and spend around £250 million on players. Neymar being one of the targets. I can see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Fellani as good as Pogba???. I know Pogba has had a difficult start but Fellani as good as him this season???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

What are his good qualities?

More specifically, what are his good qualities when United have the ball?

More specifically again, what are his good qualities when he has the ball?

It seems to me that he's only really useful or has a good game when he gets in the way of things and breaks up the opponent's play. He is pretty much useless if United are in possession as he is a very poor player when he actually has the ball at his feet. One of his few positives as a player is his height and it's rare that we even reap rewards from that. As a DM he is streets behind Herrera in terms of ability to break up play. He is streets behind Carrick in terms of passing. Streets behind Pogba in terms of pretty much everything.

This post sums up Fellani perfectaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pogba drives play forward, he is such a positive player.
    He gets underestimated at times.

Maybe against nothing sides, anonymous in every big game this season.

Good interview with Carrick on The Fantasy Football Show.

zerks wrote: »
    Good interview with Carrick on The Fantasy Football Show.

Was it the full version? It was on the other evening a full hour of Carrick and Merson he was very good really great to listen to.

beno619 wrote: »
    Maybe against nothing sides, anonymous in every big game this season.

Not true Just because he didn't score a goal or assist don't mean he has a bad game. He was excellent again Chelsea few weeks ago probably the teams best performance of the year this is just one game he has been similar in many games this year and been overlooked.

Pogba has had some bad performances this year but he has had mostly solid midfield performances that keep the team moving forward and not sitting back he is simply the best passer of the ball in the club and one if the best in the league.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

I know plenty seemed to get massively bitter of the fact he went to City, but he is just such a massively impressive individual.

Nahh he's just great at pr.

That stunt with Harry Arter if front of Sky camera's was pathetic.

Not true Just because he didn't score a goal or assist don't mean he has a bad game. He was excellent again Chelsea few weeks ago probably the teams best performance of the year this is just one game he has been similar in many games this year and been overlooked.

Pogba has had some bad performances this year but he has had mostly solid midfield performances that keep the team moving forward and not sitting back he is simply the best passer of the ball in the club and one if the best in the league.

That's your narrative not mine. You mentioned goals and assists not me.

He has been next to useless in every big game this season with the exception of that Chelsea game, I also missed the League game at home against city so can't comment on that.

I think he's put in mostly average performances with a handful of pathetic ones and then some very good ones against nothing sides.

That's your narrative not mine. You mentioned goals and assists not me.

He has been next to useless in every big game this season with the exception of that Chelsea game, I also missed the League game at home against city so can't comment on that.

I think he's put in mostly average performances with a handful of pathetic ones and then some very good ones against nothing sides.

Right so you use useless and pathetic to describe his performances that's your narrative too no point discussing that because every statistic and actually watching games shows he is anything but useless or pathetic.

Right so you use useless and pathetic to describe his performances that's your narrative too no point discussing that because every statistic and actually watching games shows he is anything but useless or pathetic.

No that's still your narrative. Useless and Pathetic is how I would describe his performances in the BIG games this season.

How would you describe his performances against Liverpool Home and away ? Chelsea away and in the F.A cup ? The cup final vs Southampton ?

No that's still your narrative. Useless and Pathetic is how I would describe his performances in the BIG games this season.

How would you describe his performances against Liverpool Home and away ? Chelsea away and in the F.A cup ? The cup final vs Southampton ?

I'd like to think my narrative is a little more realistic then pathetic and useless.

The two games against Liverpool were not games to judge the team on they were setup on joses tactics and we did not loose either game that's that's how the team was setup in both of them games again pogba would if been one of the midfielders with the most passes and most successful passes he may loose the ball a few times but he will most often then not hold possession and pass forward.

The first game against Chelsea he was poor yes I'd accept that and the game against Chelsea in the fa cup he was actually one of our best players until ander got sent off he made plenty of nice passages of play in the first 40 minutes he was asked to play deeper in second half because we were down to ten men and I remember him making a really good tackle deep in the United half.

• Advertisement

I'd like to think my narrative is a little more realistic then pathetic and useless.

The two games against Liverpool were not games to judge the team on they were setup on joses tactics and we did not loose either game that's that's how the team was setup in both of them games again pogba wouod if been one if the midfielders with the most passes and most successful passes he may loose the ball a few times but he will most often then not hold possession and pass forward.

The first game against Chelsea he was poor yes I'd accept that and the game against Chelsea in the fa cup he was actually one of our best players until ander got sent off he made plenty of nice passages of play in the first 40 minutes he was asked to play deeper in second half because we were down to ten men and I remember him making a really good tackle deep in the United half.

The two Liverpool games are a perfect example.
    Ander and Fellaini were excellent in both matches as were most of the team. While Pogba was the worst of the 22 men on the pitch.

There were mitigating circumstances in the Chelsea cup game but still continued the trend of him not showing up when a player of his supposed stature should.

Southampton in the cup, who stood up to be counted ? Lingard and Herrera. Again he was arguable the worst player on the pitch.

Throw in a bunch of average performances in all those home draws and I don't think my assessment of his performances are too harsh or inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The disappointing thing about Pogba so far is that you'd expect more for £89m, but his price tag isn't his fault. If we'd bought Rashford for £89m people would be saying he's useless too for all the sitters he's missed this season but Fellaini is just **** for any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Korat wrote: »
    The disappointing thing about Pogba so far is that you'd expect more for £89m, but his price tag isn't his fault. If we'd bought Rashford for £89m people would be saying he's useless too for all the sitters he's missed this season but Fellaini is just **** for any money.

I truly have to laugh at this.

If people can't see that Fellaini has been consistently performing well for us this season, they will never warm to him. He's been one of our better players over the last two seasons IMO.

Also to note, Fellaini has given 100% every time he wears a Man United jersey, just like Herrera. Unfortunately I can't say the same for quite a few players the last two/three years. I'd take a player any day of the week who will give you his all; rather than a prima donna who can have a moment of magic, but sulks once things don't go his way.

I may be in the minority, but I am quite happy Fellaini is playing for Man United.

I'm not bashing fellaini here ok I think he has his uses with his strength but what exactly does he do consistently well going forward? He doesn't score many goals he doesn't assist many goals he doesn't creat many chances he doesn't make many passes.

He is a battering ram with some nice touches but he ain't consistently out better performer he is nowhere near the level of Herrera or most any other of our better players.

He should be kept and he will be kept but he is noway a consistently top performer.

He should be kept and he will be kept but he is noway a consistently top performer.

In the context of Manchester United midfielders he his.

Our second best performer this season just edged out by Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have to laugh at those slating Felliani these past couple of days, when come tomorrow and the next few games we would be damn glad to have him available.

Think of how bad Felliani is when we see Carrick struggling with the schedule and Rooney playing midfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Korat wrote: »

IMO few people are too stupid to not able to differentiate between transfer fee and judging players performance.

Just because we paid 89 Million doesn't make him score more goal or assist more. He is playing as a Center Mid and doing the job really well except few games. He is the only CM who is judged by goals and assists, use the same metric to judge Modric, Kroos, Thiago and all looks very underwhelming.

Overall Pogba had good season and his output would have been lot better with bit of luck. But as a midfielder his passing is superb and he drives the team forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

324E4BA100000578-3497875-image-a-47_1458254874226.jpg

2014_03_16T142733Z_1502_jpg-369991.jpg

23675B0700000578-2845527-image-38_1416683217871.jpg

I love Fellaini

In the context of Manchester United midfielders he his.

Our second best performer this season just edged out by Herrera.

How is He? I've asked what has he done to deserve this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I have to laugh at those slating Felliani these past couple of days, when come tomorrow and the next few games we would be damn glad to have him available.

The only reason he isn't available is because he's an idiot.
    Think of how bad Felliani is when we see Carrick struggling with the schedule and Rooney playing midfield...

I'd rather see Rooney on the ball in midfield instead of Fellaini.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement