Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    How many players in our squad would be around in a title winning squad for us?

Not many anyway.

Starters:
    Bailly, Rojo, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhiki(maybe)

Possibly squad players:
    Romero, Fellaini, Valencia, Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Martial

Not good enough: Young, Jones, Smalling, Blind, Rooney, Shaw, Carrick

Leaving:
    De Gea
    Ibra

It will be many years untill we will be competing for league titles.

Chelsea are going to win a league title this season with a side that finished deservedly 10th last season. Leicester City won it last season and will be delighted to finish 10th this season.

United's squad is perfectly capable of winning a league title, if applied properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Sand wrote: »

United's squad is perfectly capable of winning a league title, if applied properly.

Its really not though. There is too many average players in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kissing goodbye English lads Rooney/Shaw/Smalling/Jones/Carrick/Young will probably force us into buying English overpriced players for the squad quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

As opposed to the last united league winning team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chelsea are going to win a league title this season with a side that finished deservedly 10th last season. Leicester City won it last season and will be delighted to finish 10th this season.

Chelsea's season last year was an abnormality, not the norm.

Leicester City's season last year was an abnormality. Not the norm.

We are going into another year of battling (and probably failing) to get forth. This isn't an abnormality. This is the norm for this batch of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Drumpot wrote: »

I think that there were a lot of players in that team with a desire & determination for the club. Can anyone really imagine SAF being any gentler with the snowflakes than Jose ?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kissing goodbye English lads Rooney/Shaw/Smalling/Jones/Carrick/Young will probably force us into buying English overpriced players for the squad quota.

Ben Gibson would be good and possibly cheap from Boro.

Spurs wont sell to us so can't think of anyone else English and young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Strange that people can't see this, its been 4 years of this level of performance for a reason.

Maybe Defoe to tutor Rashford (be like Claudio Pizzaro when Mourinho signed him at Chelsea).

Dunno how good Pickford actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If players are injured players are injured.
    I don't doubt there commitment because when they are fit and available they are good players. I base that decision on watching them play.

Just because Jose has a few harsh words for them doesn't mean much and we do not know what's going on in the background

Why would he have harsh words for them if something isn't up?

Surely a broken toe is healed by now or an injection before the match to get over the pain like so many players do?

Something is definitely up with these 2 players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You forget one significant fact - at that time United were managed by the greatest club manager of all time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Keane from Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

The lack of leadership is very noticeable at times, there's also an air of apathy in the ground for the home games. Jose needs a bit of a clear out starting with the older players. It's not impossible - I expect us to be a much more potent force next season.

Sane out Rashering Rashford in the City game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

That team had leaders, proper wing backs and goal scorers.

This current side has none of the above at the moment.

That team had Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Nani, RVP, Chicharito and a younger Rooney and Carrick.

Headshot wrote: »
    Surely a broken toe

I'm cautious about second guessing injuries and their severity but I do wonder about this, just how bad is this broken toe that its still keeping him out 5 weeks later? He really can't set foot on the field because of it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

City 2-1 down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Whoever said we be ok without zlatan :(:(

Bloody injuries have crippled us this month.

• FutureGuy wrote: »
    City 2-1 down

FutureJinx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

It's the hope that kills you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

FutureGuy wrote: »
    City 2-1 down

You think we would be happy but nope its frustrating

City 2-1 down

Makes our draw even worse now, watch as Watford get a result tomorrow night.
    Chelsea getting the job done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

City 2-1 down

This is all such a joke. Sickening

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    FutureJinx

Lol told ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't see what bringing in another 5-6 players will achieve. The problem at United is the attitude of the players. They are a bunch of boys. And the older players are all "nice guys" apart from Zlatan.

You can throw in another 5 top players and they will just embed themselves into the dressing room culture that has prevailed at United over the last few years.

The leadership in the dressing room have been a massive failure. Rooney is a bit mentally basic and Smalling seems to be another soft touch.

Next season the 2 rudderless captains will be gone. So who is the new dressing room leader? Paul focking Pogba??? He's a man child. Maybe United can bring in Griezmann? Another man child.

Will the Spanish speaking clique drive United forward over the next couple of years? I have more optimism for Sunderland than I do for that mob of posers in United shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zerks wrote: »
    Makes our draw even worse now, watch as Watford get a result tomorrow night.
    Chelsea getting the job done today.

City losing and Watford getting something tomorrow would be an absolute gift and undeserved but by **** I would take it.

Not that it matters now as City are in it and will probably get a winner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I don't see what bringing in another 5-6 players will achieve. The problem at United is the attitude of the players. They are a bunch of boys. And the older players are all "nice guys" apart from Zlatan.

You can throw in another 5 top players and they will just embed themselves into the dressing room culture that has prevailed at United over the last few years.

The leadership in the dressing room have been a massive failure. Rooney is a bit mentally basic and Smalling seems to be another soft touch.

Next season the 2 rudderless captains will be gone. So who is the new dressing room leader? Paul focking Pogba??? He's a man child. Maybe United can bring in Griezmann? Another man child.

Will the Spanish speaking clique drive United forward over the next couple of years. I have more optimism for Sunderland than I do for that mob of posers in United shirts.

We lack quality, regardless of pointing out that we have Martial and Rashford these two are still too young for us to rely upon.

Look at the teams ahead of us and compare their starting eleven vs ours. How many of our starting eleven today would get into Chelsea's or Spur's side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Wonder how koeman is liking the toffee's performance today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

adox wrote: »
    City losing and Watford getting something tomorrow would be an absolute gift and undeserved but by **** I would take it.

Not that it matters now as City are in it and will probably get a winner now.

City are drawing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That team had leaders, proper wing backs and goal scorers.

This current side has none of the above at the moment.

That team had Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Nani, RVP, Chicharito and a younger Rooney and Carrick.

Wouldn't be mentioning Nani as an important player at that time. Rooney was requesting to not be played that season so again I would not be putting him down as a plus.

Most of the rest of those Players either at the end of their careers or that moved onto smaller clubs. How did that exact squad "of leaders" do the next season after winning the league? That's the point you are missing, a manager like Jose (and fergie) can make all the difference.

Considering all the draws united have had, I'd say they are very close to mounting a proper challenge.

Thr last two league winners finished in mid table the season before they won it. United don't have as Far to climb.

The problem at United is the attitude of the players.

It really is, there is a serious lack of character in that squad.

Which is why I don't give a **** about Jose publicly slating any of them, they have been getting away with it for 4 years and I'm glad he is calling them out on it.

The culture in that squad needs a sea-change and if slating them before culling the half of them is what it takes then that is what needs to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

edgecutter wrote: »
    City are drawing

Yeah I know.

FT City 2-2

So there's still a chance right :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Chelsea's season last year was an abnormality, not the norm.

Leicester City's season last year was an abnormality. Not the norm.

We are going into another year of battling (and probably failing) to get forth. This isn't an abnormality. This is the norm for this batch of players.

The point is both those sides are also full of average players. Chelsea was entirely nullified as an attacking threat by man marking Hazard (and to a lesser extent Pedro). They are not a fantastic side with top quality in every position. They play to their strengths in a system designed to get the best out of them and they will win a title because of it. Mismanaged, they'll just as easily end up down in 10th.

The abnormality is expecting that every position in the team must be held by a world class player to secure top 4, let alone challenge for the title. United have a perfectly good enough squad to challenge for a title measured against the squads that have won it recently. This talk about needing to replace 10 players or more every transfer window is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Arsenal to go on a run winning all their games by substantial amounts.

Push either City or the Scouse out of top 4.

Keep Wenger in.

We win the EL.

Bosh.

• Advertisement

FT City 2-2

So there's still a chance right :P

What's the bet we will beat spurs and arsenal and **** it all up against palace and Southampton

Well at least city are just as bad as us and have nowhere near our injuries.... nope It's not making me feel better :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

At least we've only one home game left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The city result is even more sickening - we just keep throwing it away time and time again.

The point is both those sides are also full of average players. Chelsea was entirely nullified as an attacking threat by man marking Hazard (and to a lesser extent Pedro). They are not a fantastic side with top quality in every position. They play to their strengths in a system designed to get the best out of them and they will win a title because of it. Mismanaged, they'll just as easily end up down in 10th.

The abnormality is expecting that every position in the team must be held by a world class player to secure top 4, let alone challenge for the title. United have a perfectly good enough squad to challenge for a title measured against the squads that have won it recently. This talk about needing to replace 10 players or more every transfer window is madness.

Chelsea have 3/4 genuine world class players that are in their prime and in key positions, backed up by 5/6 genuine top quality players that are also in their prime.

Do you really think United's squad compares? Who are our 3/4 world class players?

Chelsea have a balanced team with genuine quality in key positions, the vast majority of their players are in the prime of their careers, have no European distractions and have had minimal injuries. Trying to say that Mourinho should have United's rag tag bunch of kids, pensioners and sicknotes mounting a comparable title challenge is just insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Can see city dropping more points same goes for Liverpool. I think we could do Arsenal but Spurs beating us wouldn't surprise me at all that or a horrible 0 0.

One way or another I don't think 4th will happen. Even the Europa league because of the injuries is a big ask.

Bascially the top 4 as been ours all season and we bottled it.

Chelsea have 3/4 genuine world class players that are in their prime and in key positions, backed up by 5/6 genuine top quality players that are also in their prime.

Do you really think United's squad compares? Who are our 3/4 world class players?

Chelsea have a balanced team with genuine quality in key positions, the vast majority of their players are in the prime of their careers, have no European distractions and have had minimal injuries. Trying to say that Mourinho should have United's rag tag bunch of kids, pensioners and sicknotes mounting a comparable title challenge is just insane.

Tbf the minimal injuries was a great help. Similar to Leicester having an unchanged back 5 last year. If Chelsea had lost Cahill/Azpilucueta for 2 -3 mths and had to rely on Terry they would have been in doodoo. Hell even when they were missing Alonso against us it affected them greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

100% behind Jose in slating players. Stats don't lie, between them smalling, Jones and Shaw have 42 league games this season. Shocking tbh.

My only critiscm was selling Morgan, today was a day crying out for steel in the middle. Even if it was only a farewell thanks for the memories appearance. I can see the justification in selling him though, it was a good price and Jose doesn't rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

They comfortably beat Chelsea just two weeks ago. And are unbeaten in the league since November. A few goals is the difference between 6 or 7 of our countless draws and 6 or 7 wins. Not a million miles away by any means.

100% behind Jose in slating players. Stats don't lie, between them smalling, Jones and Shaw have 42 league games this season. Shocking tbh.

My only critiscm was selling Morgan, today was a day crying out for steel in the middle. Even if it was only a farewell thanks for the memories appearance. I can see the justification in selling him though, it was a good price and Jose doesn't rate him.

Morgan said he wanted playing time so he wanted to go

You're talking about a squad that finished 10th last season as having genuine world class players in the prime in key positions and top quality players in every other position. Conte has done a very good job this season to get good performances out his team but lets not exaggerate.

I think there is a little more to a title challenge than waving a cheque book every transfer window buying the latest flavour of the month. At some point Mourinho has to demonstrate his quality by getting more out of the players that are available to him. Because switching out 10 players in the transfer window is just insane.

Just noticed how Arsenal can take us over if they win today and their game in hand. Hoping Spurs shut them up and set up a nice evening of Arsenalfan tv

Spurs and arsenal draw would be nice it wouod keep arsenal off our back a little and probably rule spurs out of title race before we play them.

You're talking about a squad that finished 10th last season as having genuine world class players in the prime in key positions and top quality players in every other position. Conte has done a very good job this season to get good performances out his team but lets not exaggerate.

Where is the exaggeration? You think that Courtois, Kante, Hazard and Costa wouldn't star for any team in the world? You don't think that Luis, Cahill, Alonso, Azpiluceta, Willian, Fabregas, Pedro, Matic and Moses aren't very good, experienced pro's in their prime? Where is the exaggeration?

And give up that crap about them being a 10th place side, we all know what happened last season, it doesn't change the reality that Chelsea and their squad is one of the very best in the country.

Where is the exaggeration? You think that Courtois, Kante, Hazard and Costa wouldn't star for any team in the world? You don't think that Luis, Cahill, Alonso, Azpiluceta, Willian, Fabregas, Pedro, Matic and Moses aren't very good, experienced pro's in their prime? Where is the exaggeration?

And give up that crap about them being a 10th place side, we all know what happened last season, it doesn't change the reality that Chelsea and their squad is one of the very best in the country.
    Hold on Moses couldnt get into Liverpool/Stoke/West Ham team. Contes formation suits him. Highly unlikely he'll start next year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement