Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Got let off the hook big time today, hopefully Watford can hold Liverpool to at least a draw tomorrow as well. Feels like a big lost opportunity but at least there's the fact that if we'd won, City might have been in a different mindset and done the same... and Arsenal are completely out of momentum after that result. Still, I'd take a win against Celta on Thursday rather than against Arsenal next week if given a choice between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

For the money they'd be looking for Kane we'd be as well going for Lewandowski or Higuain.

Would rather Kane even if he was 20 mil more. Hes only 23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

There's no way we're getting any first team player from Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone see any stats on how many times we have blown an opportunity to get into the top four this season?

dubmick wrote: »
    anyone see any stats on how many times we have blown an opportunity to get into the top four this season?

Yeah too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There's no way we're getting any first team player from Tottenham.

If Poch stays then I'd agree, if he heads off to Barca then its hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rod Munch wrote: »
    If Poch stays then I'd agree, if he heads off to Barca then its hard to know.

He won't go to Barca due to his ties with Espanyol, sure he called Xavi his enemy last week :D

I'd say Zidane might be let go if he doesn't win the Champions league and he could go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We might not get our fix of AFTV to cheer us up tonight due to Spurs fans being twats.

https://twitter.com/SportDictatorHQ/status/858745965574057985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

They are not fam!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I get laugh from that AFTV, but that interviewer comes across as a nice man who cares about his club. That's disgusting from Spurs fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Poor from the Spurs fans. I was looking forward to the AFTV meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I get laugh from that AFTV, but that interviewer comes across as a nice man who cares about his club. That's disgusting from Spurs fans

Yeah blud, he kind of embraces twats fam but it's all TV innit blud in a way fam that's you know fam just light entertatinment blud. Poor show fam, poor show fam, fam poor show fam hey blud that's poor show blud, right fam?

Spurs fans being twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

zerks wrote: »
    We might not get our fix of AFTV to cheer us up tonight due to Spurs fans being twats.

https://twitter.com/SportDictatorHQ/status/858745965574057985

That's disgraceful. Absolutely no class from the spurs fans there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The good thing is Celta are in awful form in the league. Just a pity about our injury crisis

With players fit we would win at a lot handier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    The good thing is Celta are in awful form in the league. Just a pity about our injury crisis

With players fit we would win at a lot handier

Celta apparently fielding a weakened team tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »

yup but keep losing and losing. That doesnt help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yeah they're resting two plumbers and the bus driver tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Seen the stats for the Vigo game, so one sided

Yeah they're resting two plumbers and the bus driver tonight.

The way we are, I wouldn't be underestimating anyone. We could be playing a local u13s team and I'd still be worried...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Don't really care what player we buy from any club as long as we buy someone who actually cares whether we win or lose. There seems to be a complacency settling into that squad. Too many smiling faces coming off the field after shocking performances. Leaders is what's required. Players who actually care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Any update on Bailly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For a sense of perspective, where's the continous bashing of Rooney when he was poor and actually cost United points, as opposed to rounding up on Fellaini at every opportunity when his sending off during the week didn't affect the course of the game? Not fit for purpose for three years now.

I see some other poster say good riddance to Smalling and Jones in the summer. They are probably the same section who claimed him the best centre back in Europe a year ago. It's amazing how opinions change. That's soccer fandom though.

The morning papers:

United to be offered James in part exchange for De Gea.

United to try to sign Sessegnon from Fulham ahead of Liverpool.

Matuidi and Bernardo Silva are a combined £80 million target.

Atletico will make Griezmann their highest paid player and increase the £84 million buyout clause if he signs a new contract.

Romero could be offered the chance to join Inter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    Leon britton poor today :)

He's 34 ffs. You're not going to prove anything by criticising the performances of a player who's closing in on retirment.

Actually, you will prove one thing. How inane your posts are.

Why would he have harsh words for them if something isn't up?

To deflect the attention from himself. Jose has been throwing players under the bus all season any time it has suited him.
    Surely a broken toe is healed by now or an injection before the match to get over the pain like so many players do?

Jones has been plagued with injuries throughout his career. Surely a pain killing injection would be a terrible idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I think ive went over the top 6 in the premier league table in detail so many times the last few months but ya again im looking at it now and i cant believe how different it could all of been if we had of put away some of the chances we missed in those drawn games.

14 draws !!!! and only 3 defeats all season there where at least 3 or 4 maybe more games this season where we clearly 100 percent should of won and we would be right behind Chelsea fighting for the title if that was the case.

I know its easy to say what if but when you look back on this season when its all said and done we have been not only incredibly wasteful but seriously unlucky as well.

When its all over i think we deserve a champions league position weather its threw a top four finish or the europa league. We have been an incredibly hard team to beat this season but where our own worst enemy at times and i really think for all the issues at the club if we can get some big names in during the summer lose the right players and manage the impossible of staying some what injury free we should be easily fighting for the title next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Been working all day so not caught up on much, except I assume we are all on the same page now that top 4 is well and truly gone?

How did the latest injuries seem after the game? Long term?

How much money would you have made this season if you backed United to score first and draw every home game! Or simply draw

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I must say I've been a big fan of Jose and think we've improved a lot under him and are slowly getting back to our ways of being able to control games but I'm disappointed with all this calling players out publicly for not returning from injury quick enough. It shows no class or loyalty to the group.

mewe wrote: »
    I must say I've been a big fan of Jose and think we've improved a lot under him and are slowly getting back to our ways of being able to control games but I'm disappointed with all this calling players out publicly for not returning from injury quick enough. It shows no class or loyalty to the group.

He didn't say a word about Smalling/Jones today and only mentioned Shaw's injury as saying it must be serious for him to have come off so early. Of course you get his meaning when he immediately praises Mata for doing his utmost to get back to playing, but he is being restrained I feel.

Jose has never been particularly synonymous with class either tbf, and he should not have any loyalty to this group of players inherently, respect, trust, loyalty is earned.

He is also adept at deflection, his poor use of the squad this season is going practically unnoticed in the media because all you hear about is how mean is to some of the players who won't play through the pain barrier at the moment.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ferguson did it also.He called out Saha and Hargreaves and questioned their mentality. There must be something going on in the background with a couple of players. Mata came out and said he was working hard to get back asap. Jones must have stubbed his injured toe off the leg of the treatment table and hurt it some more. You'd swear he'd had it amputated. This is the second time Smalling cried off but no word of anything seriously wrong with him.

• Advertisement

He didn't say a word about Smalling/Jones today and only mentioned Shaw's injury as saying it must be serious for him to have come off so early. Of course you get his meaning when he immediately praises Mata for doing his utmost to get back to playing, but he is being restrained I feel.

Jose has never been particularly synonymous with class either tbf, and he should not have any loyalty to this group of players inherently, respect, trust, loyalty is earned.

He is also adept at deflection, his poor use of the squad this season is going practically unnoticed in the media because all you hear about is how mean is to some of the players who won't play through the pain barrier at the moment.

So you're praising his behaviour essentially. That's where you and I disagree.

Ferguson did it also.He called out Saha and Hargreaves and questioned their mentality. There must be something going on in the background, Mata came out and said he was working hard to get back asap. Jones must have stubbed his injured toe off the leg of the treatment table and hurt it some more.

I don't remember it being as sustained in a season as what we're experiencing under Jose recently.

I don't remember it being as sustained in a season as what we're experiencing under Jose recently.

From what I remember both those Fergie situations were completely different to this one. He had a pop at Hargreaves after he had left the club and his words on Saha, from what I remember, were something mild and once off after Saha had been out for a season or something.

So you're praising his behaviour essentially. That's where you and I disagree.

I am fairly meh to his behaviour really, neither praise heavily nor condemn. I don't know enough about the situation, I see nothing in his behaviour I haven't seen before from him.

I am happy to wait and see how it turns out, I guess you can call that tacit approval if you like?

Fergie was not above freezing players out, or questioning their mentality if he felt they needed a kick in the ass so its not like its a new thing even for a manager of United.

edit: I am certainly not praising his use of his squad this season which is obvious considering it is in the post.

Jose uses the same core of players,he gets flack.

José rotates the team, he gets flack.

The joys of managing United.

Look at Conte at Chelsea, you could pick his starting XI at the start of every month.He's not too much different in his mindset than José.

Fergie was not above freezing players out, or questioning their mentality if he felt they needed a kick in the ass so its not like its a new thing even for a manager of United.

edit: I am certainly not praising his use of his squad this season which is obvious considering it is in the post.

Fergie may have froze players out or been ruthless when needed but this persistent public criticism is a new thing and I don't like it.

I know Fergie did it the odd time, (it was mad when he said Rooney put in the transfer request that time), but there wasn't this sustained public criticism of players not returning from injury quick enough. I prefer the old school ways of keeping everything in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Serious question:

John Terry anybody?

Man Utd fan as a kid, from a family of Man Utd fans. Free agent. Great leader. He may not play every week but would but you know that you will get a defender that would do a solid job, even if hes not what he was.

Serious question:

John Terry anybody?

Man Utd fan as a kid, from a family of Man Utd fans. Free agent. Great leader. He may not play every week but would but you know that you will get a defender that would do a solid job, even if hes not what he was.

Sure we might as well bring back Vidic then. Both of their legs have gone at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

they have been doing for several weeks (except maybe Sevilla during the week when they were down to 10 men). Nothing really to play for in the league, their squad has been stretched with two games a week.

A dangerous side if let, they've heavily beaten Barcelona and beaten Real Madrid over two legs already this season as well as disposing of decent/similar level sides in Europe. Easily most dangerous side United have faced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For a sense of perspective, where's the continous bashing of Rooney when he was poor and actually cost United points, as opposed to rounding up on Fellaini at every opportunity when his sending off during the week didn't affect the course of the game? Not fit for purpose for three years now.

I see some other poster say good riddance to Smalling and Jones in the summer. They are probably the same section who claimed him the best centre back in Europe a year ago. It's amazing how opinions change. That's soccer fandom though.

Most expect Rooney to be gone in the summer and don't want to beat a dead horse.

Some of us have been saying for a long time that the defensive system of LVG suited Smalling, and Jones is injured way too often.

• Advertisement

Look at Conte at Chelsea, you could pick his starting XI at the start of every month.He's not too much different in his mindset than José.

The joys of managing in general, you will always have people criticising you for one reason or another. Its no big deal, I feel he has used the squad poorly over the course of the season, if others don't that's ok.

You give Conte as an example, it is a lot easier to play the same team each week when you play once a week for the most part, I would expect next season to be different.

Ferguson rotated a hell of a lot, and got plenty of flak for some of (lots of) his team selections, largely irrelevant over the course of a season, the key is to try and keep your key players fresh as possible by giving them a rest when circumstance allow, or dictate and keep your squad players primed to come in any time they are needed by giving them game time when it is possible, for me you need to find time to give players minutes even if it is tough.

Anyway, lets not pretend I give Jose flak for rotating his team, I don't. I give him flak for not using his squad well over the course of the season and have been consistent in that. Its not like any excuse to have a pop at Jose or anything unreasonable. Its an opinion, they are like arseholes.

everybody's got one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/MourinhoMindset/status/858720254410850304

Players probably do it all the time but good to see him so determined. Hope he's involved on Thursday. CL and EL winner with Chelsea, will be used to the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The injuries at the back don't bother me, we are generally sound and I reckon Jose could get a league 2 back four defending adequately in the PL such.

The problem as I see it is the lack of structure in the attacking play.....players getting isolated as people rush into the box for it to be lumped in.

Every so often that isolated individual will pull something off but mostly they won't.

When you think that is the tactic then it makes the thought of Jose selling Fellaini even more laughable.

Maybe if we get Neymae, he can beat 5 players and score, do it on his own.

Another 300 million this summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I used to believe it was best to keep criticism behind closed doors. But footballers are very different now. They're mollycoddled from an early age and surround themselves with people who tell them they're great and the manager is wrong if they get criticised or dropped. Doing it publicly at means they can't ignore it and if they down tools in a huff everyone will know the real reason why. It seems to have worked on a couple of Utd players this season.

Conte had no European games to deal with. I think its fair to say Jose's squad rotation has been very poor. Who gives hoot about the league cup. He should have used that like fergie did to give the younger players game time. At the end f the season if we dont get into the C.L. and only have a poxy league cup to show for it then its a massive failure.

Serious question:

John Terry anybody?

No chance. Dislikeable creature and a step backwards. We need players who we can build a team around not has beens

Someone posted a list of all the homegrown players that could potentially be leaving this summer and it was quite alarming. Who do people think is out there to replace them? Keane from Burnley has been rumoured lately, who else is out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Someone posted a list of all the homegrown players that could potentially be leaving this summer and it was quite alarming. Who do people think is out there to replace them? Keane from Burnley has been rumoured lately, who else is out there?

Sessegnon - though perhaps a year or two early for the first team.

I wonder if De Gea goes and we can't get Oblak would we look at somebody like Butland?

Kane? :D:D

Keep seeing people talk highly of Pickford as well, and with Sunderland having been relegated, there'd be a cheap enough deal to be made there, you'd imagine. Possibly a deal involving Moyes' beloved Januzaj.

Ross Barkley was mentioned before as a "cheap" possible target (last year of contract).

Eric Dier for 40m was spouted a bit over the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

• dubmick wrote: »

12 draws at home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement