Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Sitting in a darkened hospital room with a sleeping wife, a sleeping baby, a dodgy stream and my 4g acting the gowl is not the ideal way to watch a game.

It wasn't pretty but we are into a European semi.

Hopefully Zlatan and Rocko aren't too badly hurt.

If the big man is it could be a catalyst for Rashers and Tony M to get a chance together up front.

Pogs looked better tonight, impressed with Mikhi too.

Not a great day at the office but a win is a win.

On the two injuries, of course I'm just speculating and have no medical experience but they both looked pretty bad to me. Enough at this late stage of the season to be season Enders for both of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That could be the end of Zlatan at United if the injury is serious.

Would be a shame for him to go out with such a poor game of finishing.

• adox wrote: »
    Also I think this current team would be better overall without Pogba in it.

Ah lad

Will follow up tomorrow for debate but I don't agree m8

DM_7 wrote: »
    That could be the end of Zlatan at United if the injury is serious.

Would be a shame for him to go out with such a poor game of finishing.

Was thinking the exact same thing when he went off.
    Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Did Jose say anything about the injuries? Hoping neither are too bad. Was surprised to see Zlatan walking.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah lad

Will follow up tomorrow for debate but I don't agree m8

Oh I know I'm probably in a minority of one but I think he's a bit of an indulgence. A match winner for sure but if a team isn't set up right around him he's more of a liability than a positive influence.

Anyway I know no one on here will agree with me and that's cool but I'll always try to be as honest as I can on here. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    The defending was comical as well. From the whole team not just the defenders.

Blind for Rojo set everything back drastically. He was a massive weak link.
    Also I think this current team would be better overall without Pogba in it.

Adox, I mean this with the greatest respect but you've gone bangkok/Fellaini levels here.

Not saying he wasn't poor but he did create numerous chances tonight that others failed to put away. He needs to desperately work on his finishing, but he'd still be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. If the whole team could find the composure to finish shots, his assists stats would double pretty quickly. And for a midfielder, he's getting into some amazing positions for goals. If he can work on his finishing, he'll be flying next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Michael Owen touched on it there on BT and it's a valid point. Pogba takes too many touches on ball rather than passing it quickly and moving again to create space or receive a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Any official word on the injuries? For some reason, probably cause its Zlatan I just get the feeling he won't be out too long.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Oh I know I'm probably in a minority of one but I think he's a bit of an indulgence. A match winner for sure but if a team isn't set up right around him he's more of a liability than a positive influence.

Anyway I know no one on here will agree with me and that's cool but I'll always try to be as honest as I can on here. :)

Thing is id agree with you if its based on a lot of his performances this season but not tonight.

When nothing is coming off for him and hes making stupid choices then it really stops the flow of the team. Tonight though he worked really hard and drove the team forward most of the night. He was back there working hard in defense as well and broke up the play a few times from what i can remember. He has massive energy and is always looking to drive the play forward which in turn creates things.

You can see that if he is given time to gel and the right players around him he could be a huge hit at united for years to come. Overall this season though its been more lows then highs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Lord TSC wrote: »

Adox, I mean this with the greatest respect but you've gone bangkok/Fellaini levels here.

Not saying he wasn't poor but he did create numerous chances tonight that others failed to put away. He needs to desperately work on his finishing, but he'd still be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. If the whole team could find the composure to finish shots, his assists stats would double pretty quickly. And for a midfielder, he's getting into some amazing positions for goals. If he can work on his finishing, he'll be flying next season.

I've said this before but my big problem with Pogba is that he too often tries to do something special like take 3 players on or similar. If he just improves his decision making he can be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

José not giving too much info regarding the injuries but it doesn't look good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Michael Owen touched on it there on BT and it's a valid point. Pogba takes too many touches on ball rather than passing it quickly and moving again to create space or receive a return.

That one would be my one main worry actually; he can be a bit slow in midfield getting those killer passes off. BUT when he pulls them off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That thread produced lemons and we made lemonade!

Happy happy United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought Pogba should have put a bit more pressure down the left when Fellaini came on and was a little tactically unaware at times. Overall though he was doing well on the ball and in what he had to.

I disagree and take insult being compared to Bangkok and his "opinions" on Fellaini. :D
    He has nothing good to say about him no matter what. I could go in but would end up getting my first ever card on boards in over a decade.

I recognise Pogbas qualities and hopefully he can shine next season with different personnel around him but he is, imo a bit of an indulgence. We don't have a team at the moment to set up around him to let him shine and cover his obvious deficiencies as a midfielder.

Unlike Bangkok I'll happily be proved wrong, made eat my words. I'd never say he doesn't deserve to be a Utd player etc and I hope he goes on to have a huge hand in Utd winning the Europa league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pogba takes too many touches on ball rather than passing it quickly and moving again to create space or receive a return.

I thought that was commonly known about Pogba? Its simple game intelligence, if he learnt when to try the fancy stuff and when to keep it simple he would be ten times the player.

Ignoring the human factor surrounding an injury, I for one won't worry too much if Zlatan is going to be missing. I think he has been poor in his recent performances, lets see if Martial can finally step up or if Rooney can have one last hurrah.

I expect Rashford will need a rest at the weekend so its on them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That one would be my one main worry actually; he can be a bit slow in midfield getting those killer passes off. BUT when he pulls them off...

Yes but how many times did he give away possession in our half because he took too many touches.

Inexcusable for a supposed top level midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I disagree and take insult being compared to Bangkok and his "opinions" on Fellaini. :D
    He has nothing good to say about him no matter what. I could go in but would end up getting my first ever card on boards in over a decade.

I recognise Pogbas qualities and hopefully he can shine next season with different personnel around him but he is, imo a bit of an indulgence. We don't have a team at the moment to set up around him to let him shine and cover his obvious deficiencies as a midfielder.

Unlike Bangkok I'll happily be proved wrong, made eat my words. I'd never say he doesn't deserve to be a Utd player etc and I hope he goes on to have a huge hand in Utd winning the Europa league this season.

well that is lies anyway.

said it already he has proved to be a good squad option and has done well when called upon in most games he has played in, but for me will never be a starter in a team week in week out that wants to challenge for league/champions league but a decent squad player

Agreed but it's the pendulum passes I'd be most worried about. Get ball off back four, shift wide or turn and find someone showing further upfield. The type of simple quick passes that really make a midfielder. Pogba has to take his 'look at me' touches before passing wide to a FB or whatever, that would be my main worry.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the human factor surrounding an injury, I for one won't worry too much if Zlatan is going to be missing. I think he has been poor in his recent performances, lets see if Martial can finally step up or if Rooney can have one last hurrah.

I expect Rashford will need a rest at the weekend so its on them now.

Agreed Rojo is the bigger loss at this point in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping for Ajax tomorrow

I want to avoid Lyon

bangkok wrote: »
    well that is lies anyway.

said it already he has proved to be a good squad option and has done well when called upon in most games he has played in, but for me will never be a starter in a team week in week out that wants to challenge for league/champions league but a decent squad player

Well good for you but look I'm not going to get into it again but that is certainly not the narrative you have spun on here for the last couple of years.

beno619 wrote: »
    Yes but how many times did he give away possession in our half because he took too many touches.

Inexcusable for a supposed top level midfielder.

He has more completed passes than any other player in the europa league and imo he was excellent tonight.

not many other players in the world that could play that pass he gave to rashford in first half

Well good for you but look I'm not going to get into it again but that is certainly not the narrative you have spun on here for the last couple of years.

again, you said i have nothing good to say about him, which is lies

also my criticism of him in his first season was fully justified, he was awful, never even scored a single goal all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fingers crossed, he is vital for the remaining games

again, you said i have nothing good to say about him, which is lies

also my criticism of him in his first season was fully justified, he was awful, never even scored a single goal all season

Honestly I lost interest in your Fellaini crusade on here a long time ago. I've no interest in hearing your revised alleged opinions on him now.

I didn't mean to bring you into the debate but it was Lord TSC that brought you up not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

He won't be starting Sunday for sure. Hopefully he is back for City. He's been a machine for us this season.

Didn't sound too promising listening to Jose there.

"We will wait and I want to be optimistic but I'm not" or words to that effect when asked about both injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Dont get the Fellaini hate. Hes a brilliant squad option and Mourinho sees this. Many top teams would love to have him.

I'd be more worried about Rojo missing than Ibra I think.

Who'd have thought that would be the case 9 months ago??

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about Rojo missing than Ibra I think.

Who'd have thought that would be the case 9 months ago??

Purely from a numbers point of view would be reason enough to prioritise Rojo, much as I love Zlatan.

And then there's Blind. He looks like the only option Jose will take. Daley ****ing Blind!! We are truly fooled if we have to rely on him as a CB!!

Was just looking at Rashford's stats there. He's has 62 games, 18 goals and has 3 medals around his neck already. He could easily have 4 by the time he makes 70 apps.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Goal of the season right there if it had of gone in. Unreal by Rashford

https://twitter.com/mufcgif/status/855165503123468292

astradave wrote: »
    Goal of the season right there if it had of gone in. Unreal by Rashford

https://twitter.com/mufcgif/status/855165503123468292

And it wasn't a bad effort by that other fella I suppose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

And it wasn't a bad effort by that other fella I suppose. :D

Honestly feel really sorry for Pogba now. He's a class act, but has been so unlucky in front of goal. He arguably should have had the winner today but of course the referee had to rule it out. Had he scored his opportunities that hit the crossbar this season, a lot of his critics would be quiet right now i reckon.

He's in desperate need of a BIG moment, like Rashford vs chelsea and tonight. There's still time but I'm hoping he has his moment in a big game like City next week or Europa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Headshot wrote: »
    Im hoping for Ajax tomorrow

I want to avoid Lyon

I agree, although I think if we have to play them eventually (which kind of looks likely at this stage), I'd rather it be over 2 legs than in a neutral venue over 90 minutes. I think that us and them are the 2 best teams left by far.

Ah lads if you want a good laugh have a listen to the second captains podcast from Monday. It's actually hilarious how bitter Ken Early (pretty sure it's him that never shuts up) is about United. Basically talked the whole podcast about the Chelsea game and all he could do was slag Mourinho. The only one positive was he once said it was "finally a good performance but it's a problem because he was only able to do it defensively and in a reactionary way" (paraphrasing).

More bitter than the tail end of a match thread here when we win. Honestly how that fella has any credibility as a journalist is beyond me. Loves himself more than the sports he covers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Bit conflicted about the draw tomorrow. I want Ajax as i live so close to their ground that i can see it from my front door but i'd be more worried about them than any of the remaining three. They fear nobody coming to Amsterdam, City and Barca have been dispatched with their tails between their legs in recent years. I wouldn't be confident needing to get a result in the ArenA second leg or going to Old Trafford a goal or two behind given our total lack of composure in front of goal, especially at home

Think tonight might have been a pyrrhic victory depending on Rojo and Ibra's prognosis, especially the former. If we lose our defensive stability our season will rapidly go down the ****ter due to our inability to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

That was an ordeal but ultimately gratifying in every way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well, Rojos self diagnosis is good. Unless good refers to his mood. Season over I guess for him anyway. Was hoping to see Zlatan one more time in Europa league final but not to be I guess.

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/855185234115129344

He has more completed passes than any other player in the europa league and imo he was excellent tonight.

not many other players in the world that could play that pass he gave to rashford in first half

It was a nice pass nothing Carrick or Herrera couldn't do though.

He was good in the first half then reverted to type in the second.

He did work quite hard had and is getting a few more tackles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Jayop wrote:
    Ah lads if you want a good laugh have a listen to the second captains podcast from Monday. It's actually hilarious how bitter Ken Early (pretty sure it's him that never shuts up) is about United. Basically talked the whole podcast about the Chelsea game and all he could do was slag Mourinho. The only one positive was he once said it was "finally a good performance but it's a problem because he was only able to do it defensively and in a reactionary way" (paraphrasing).

Jayop wrote:
    More bitter than the tail end of a match thread here when we win. Honestly how that fella has any credibility as a journalist is beyond me. Loves himself more than the sports he covers anyway.

In fairness though, Early is usually bitter about most teams, particularly those who are 'flavour of the month' to slag off. So, in that regard, he's quite consistent.

He's been picking apart the Wenger situation for months now, had the knife out for Pep and Klopp a while back when their respective teams were on a poor run.

That said, I'd certainly agree that when the opportunity is there to stick the boot in on Mourinho and, in fairness, the opportunity has been there plenty of times this season, then Early never misses a shot at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

After last night's game I'd be handing anderlecht a blank cheque for tielemans. Looks an unbelievable talent! Throw in spaijic and dendonker too while at it!. Thought spaijic was solid out and surprised to see he's only on loan from toulouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cotts72 wrote: »
    After last night's game I'd be handing anderlecht a blank cheque for tielemans. Looks an unbelievable talent! Throw in spaijic and dendonker too while at it!. Thought spaijic was solid out and surprised to see he's only on loan from toulouse

Id say Tielemans will be bound for Spain or Germany when he leaves, he looks the real deal.

The few snippets I've read about him would indicate he is a very level headed young man too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement