Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

He said he hopes palace are safe by then as it will create less controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hococop wrote: »
    He said he hopes palace are safe by then as it will create less controversy

Would be hilarious actually if we sort of 'let' Palace win to avoid relegation and a team like Swansea goes down :P Sweet revenge haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Need Palace to stay up for the annual fun of watching them sicken Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liverpool one up.Not a great game but they got a wonder goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

zerks wrote: »
    Liverpool one up.

Words that always give me a knot in my stomach.

Glazers Out!

I'm more shocked by the ref, some obvious decisions and he makes a mess of it

Standard has been toxic this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm more shocked by the ref, some obvious decisions and he makes a mess of it

Standard has been toxic this season

Why did the Ref give a throw in when the ball hit him and stayed in, never seen that before. Bizarre

So starting 11 Thursday?

De gea/ Romero
    Darmain
    Young
    Blind
    Carrick/Bailly?
    Herrera
    Fellaini
    Pogba
    Miki
    Rash
    Martial

Well that's the other lot getting 3 points tonight.Watford the width of a crossbar from snatching a draw in injury time but I feel that would have just given us more hope that would be snatched away again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

zerks wrote: »
    Well that's the other lot getting 3 points tonight.Watford the width of a crossbar from snatching a draw in injury time but I feel that would have just given us more hope that would be snatched away again.

Makes no odds, we won't win all our remaining games so them winning is a bit of a dead rubber as far as we are concerned.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Makes no odds, we won't win all our remaining games so them winning is a bit of a dead rubber as far as we are concerned.

Just want us to beat arsenal on Sunday. I saw a lad that I know has been doing his own version of AFTV,going by his latest vid,Sunday could be epic.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

So starting 11 Thursday?

De gea/ Romero
    Darmain
    Young
    Blind
    Carrick/Bailly?
    Herrera
    Fellaini
    Pogba
    Miki
    Rash
    Martial

I reckon it'll be:
    Romero
    Val darmian Blind Young
    Fellaini Herrera Pogba (hopefully!)
    Miki Rash Martial

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Expect Lingard to play as its away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Don't think Rashford will start.

I reckon it'll be:
    Romero
    Val darmian Blind Young
    Miki Rash Martial

Can't believe I forgot Valencia :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Would be hilarious actually if we sort of 'let' Palace win to avoid relegation and a team like Swansea goes down :P Sweet revenge haha

And classy, don't forget that :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool must have won anyways

And classy, don't forget that :-)

Is this the match Thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I reckon it'll be:
    Romero
    Val darmian Blind Young
    Miki Rash Martial

Pogba shud be good to go as he was close to making the Swansea match. Maybe Lingard for Martial for workrate and that's about it.

This Celta match will be far from easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Pogba shud be good to go as he was close to making the Swansea match. Maybe Lingard for Martial for workrate and that's about it.

This Celta match will be far from easy.

A former city and Liverpool player in gudeutti and aspas aswell, one of em is bound to score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only one team should feel aggrieved from the OT result on Sunday and it ain't United.

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/859161278522249217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Fzlatans-injury-thread.428337%2Fpage-16
    #Ibrahimovic has undergone successful knee surgery. He has not suffered a career ending injury.
    Ibrahimovic has started rehabilitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Jayop wrote: »
    Also looks like Mata isn't far away going by that video posted a few hours ago. He would be a great addition for the run in.

Crazy how the man had surgery a few weeks back and is pretty much ready compared to jones

We don't really know the situation but toe injuries can be slow healers. Even if the break is healed there could be other issues. I had a toe injury once where the nail split and there was bleeding under the nail. I'd wait a while but every time I played it would be back to square one in terms of healing. I had to basically wait until the split grew out, which took months.

I'm not saying that is what has happened here, but toe injuries can be a nightmare. Also, the fact that it is Jones again is very frustrating. Sometimes as a player you need to protect yourself and know that avoiding injury and being available is better than showing how much you care by throwing yourself about into tackles.

Jones needs to learn how to defend by staying on his feet. I think that because of his injury record, maybe he comes back too eager to show that he really cares and is trying his best for the team.

I don't think he is cowardly and comparisons with Mata are ridiculous imo.

• zerks wrote: »

Great news, wonder will he be back before Jones & Smalling... #bantz

Injury update 2: Apparently Shaw is out for the season :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mata made it very clear that he is desperate to return to the team. Shaw expressed his desire to improve. AFAIK Jones & Smalling haven't said anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If I wanted one player not to be missing through injury it would be Mata.

Delivers the goods when it matters, time after time.

One of the most underrated players we have had and will be delighted if he returned soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Missed the game completely and read that performance was poor. IMO getting in touching distance to top 4 is a big pain in the ass, Jose can't completely ignore league and at the same time considering the games left it's near impossible to finish in top 4.

With the player dropping like flies, it's about time Jose plays kids in the league and keep first team players fresh for Europa league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jones needs to learn how to defend by staying on his feet. I think that because of his injury record, maybe he comes back too eager to show that he really cares and is trying his best for the team.

If he hasn't learned it at this stage then I would be of the view that it he is either not capable of adapting or he has to play that way in order to be effective.

Either one leaves us with a player that has spent more time off the pitch than on it. Utd need to cut their losses and get in a player that they can depend on.

Its not as if Jones is some sort of Baresi type player that is so far ahead of everyone else we should be willing to continue to wait. He is, more than most other players, earning a very sizeable salary based on nothing more than potential.

I would rather we had kept Evans or O'Shea than Jones, as at least they can provide backup. Jones biggest service to the club is helping to keep up the development of the medical staff.

This is Man Utd, the biggest club in the world and we are left holding a fecking sick note! It is this acceptance of 'sometime in the future' that has allowed us to fall into the situation where we find ourselves. Cut adrift and no sense of direction or identity.

Jose needs to get ruthless. Either you do the business, and do it consistently, or you get cut, and then sold. If we get nothing for him, so what. We lost what 10m? Nothing to Utd. Get rid, get a real player in. This acceptance that there is nothing we can do has to stop. Nothing against the lad, I'm sure he's great and all, but this is Man Utd.

He won't be missed when they finally cut the cord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Leroy42 wrote: »

If he hasn't learned it at this stage then I would be of the view that it he is either not capable of adapting or he has to play that way in order to be effective.

Either one leaves us with a player that has spent more time off the pitch than on it. Utd need to cut their losses and get in a player that they can depend on.

Its not as if Jones is some sort of Baresi type player that is so far ahead of everyone else we should be willing to continue to wait. He is, more than most other players, earning a very sizeable salary based on nothing more than potential.

I would rather we had kept Evans or O'Shea than Jones, as at least they can provide backup. Jones biggest service to the club is helping to keep up the development of the medical staff.

This is Man Utd, the biggest club in the world and we are left holding a fecking sick note! It is this acceptance of 'sometime in the future' that has allowed us to fall into the situation where we find ourselves. Cut adrift and no sense of direction or identity.

Jose needs to get ruthless. Either you do the business, and do it consistently, or you get cut, and then sold. If we get nothing for him, so what. We lost what 10m? Nothing to Utd. Get rid, get a real player in. This acceptance that there is nothing we can do has to stop. Nothing against the lad, I'm sure he's great and all, but this is Man Utd.

He won't be missed when they finally cut the cord

I don't disagree with you. I think enough is enough regarding the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Been frustrated for years with our injuries in defence. Evra was the last one consistently fit. Val is always available too but I mean actual defenders, not makeshift ones. Delighted Jose has had enough already. Frustrating knowing Jones, Smalling and Shaw have missed 62 league games between them this season. All young players and should be a rockbed of the defence.

Sad when the foreign players bust a gut to be fit and players are missing because of a sore toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Been frustrated for years with our injuries in defence. Evra was the last one consistently fit. Val is always available too but I mean actual defenders, not makeshift ones. Delighted Jose has had enough already. Frustrating knowing Jones, Smalling and Shaw have missed 62 league games between them this season. All young players and should be a rockbed of the defence.

Sad when the foreign players bust a gut to be fit and players are missing because of a sore toe.

A sore toe?

If he has a broken toe its fairly painful, esp when you are kicking a ball repeatedly. I tried to play on a broken big toe once, you cant put your weight behind a ball like you would want to as its so painful. He would be a liability out there playing on a broken toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Holy Sh1t Dunphy is a Liverpool fan???

Ahahahahah!!!!:D:D:D:D

It all makes sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Korat wrote: »
    Holy Sh1t Dunphy is a Liverpool fan???

Ahahahahah!!!!:D:D:D:D

It all makes sense now.

Absolutely, the bitterness flows strong in that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's not about the broken toe, I'm not even sure what is wrong with him and I certainly am not trying to insinuate that he is anything other than injured.

But he suffered this injury during international duty, injuring Smalling in the process. He is very injury prone and as such cannot be deemed to be a reliable member of the squad (again this is not a go at him personally, just the way it is).

It seems that Jose is getting fed up as well. Whilst he hasn't managed his squad correctly, IMO, and I pay no heed to his complaints about number of games etc, it must be very frustrating to be told again and again that you have this great squad when a certain number of them are rarely available.

IMO, I hope he gets rid of Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Rooney in the summer. They are either not capable of making it or no bothered. Either way there are players playing better than they are that deserve a chance at this stage.

Say what you want about SteveG, or Terry or Keane etc, but those guys knew what was needed to win. Winning was all that mattered. Looking very much from the outside and only going on the slimmest of evidence (the match) my views most of the players that currently play for Utd don't really care. They are doing just enough. They are not busting everything to win. Sure, they are disappointed when they draw, but it doesn't eat them up to drive them on. If it did it wouldn't still be happening.

And I think Jose is alluding to his opinion that certain players are not cut out for a top table team. Smalling, Jones, Shaw and now Rooney would all be fine in a mid table team, Everton or Southampton etc where a great performance and carry you for a few weeks. Utd need a great performance every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beakerjoe wrote: »
    A sore toe?

If he has a broken toe its fairly painful, esp when you are kicking a ball repeatedly. I tried to play on a broken big toe once, you cant put your weight behind a ball like you would want to as its so painful. He would be a liability out there playing on a broken toe.

Doctor Google tells me that most broken toes heal within 4-6 weeks. Jones is out over 5 weeks now, without knowing his personal details we should be expecting him back now in any case.

Add in all the context, the fact that so many other defenders are missing, the fact that we have some season defining games coming up, the fact that we are nearly at the season end and that after 3/4 more games there will be plenty of recovery time available, that fact that the manager has publicly stated he wants to see fight from his players...

All those things considered, Phil Jones had better be in pain when he puts his foot down, because if it is at all possible for him to be out there playing then now is the time for him to be risking it.

Doctor Google tells me that most broken toes heal within 4-6 weeks. Jones is out over 5 weeks now, without knowing his personal details we should be expecting him back now in any case.

Add in all the context, the fact that so many other defenders are missing, the fact that we have some season defining games coming up, the fact that we are nearly at the season end and that after 3/4 more games there will be plenty of recovery time available, that fact that the manager has publicly stated he wants to see fight from his players...

All those things considered, Phil Jones had better be in pain when he puts his foot down, because if it is at all possible for him to be out there playing then now is the time for him to be risking it.

My own broken toe was 9 weeks but that was because I tried to play on it after 4 weeks. I tried to play on it with painkillers after 4 weeks and it was still impossible to fully put my full weight behind the ball. It was a bad idea coming back early as you use your toe so much it just makes things worse and I more likely did it more damage.

He if its not fully healed it will easily get re injured and its best for him to wait.

Even if he does play when in pain, he will be a liability in defense. Imagine him trying to clear a ball and unable to put the necessary power behind it.

• beakerjoe wrote: »
    My own broken toe was 9 weeks but that was because I tried to play on it after 4 weeks. I tried to play on it with painkillers after 4 weeks and it was still impossible to fully put my full weight behind the ball. It was a bad idea coming back early as you use your toe so much it just makes things worse and I more likely did it more damage.

He if its not fully healed it will easily get re injured and its best for him to wait.

Even if he does play when in pain, he will be a liability in defense. Imagine him trying to clear a ball and unable to put the necessary power behind it.

Or a simple tackle that collides with his foot
    ****ed again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Classic Jose deflection....here we are talking about Phil Jones, a centre backs broken toe, when we look likely to miss out on top 4 again and cannot stick the ball in the net, which usually aint Jones M.O.

• ericzeking wrote: »
    Classic Jose deflection....here we are talking about Phil Jones, a centre backs broken toe, when we look likely to miss out on top 4 again and cannot stick the ball in the net, which usually aint Jones M.O.

Fair point, that's the main issue. Not winning at home with 12 draws. Not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Or a simple tackle that collides with his foot
    ****ed again

If he sticks to marking Rashford in training he'll be fine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sand wrote: »
    Moyes and LVG did get stick for managing down expectations, but Mourinho did the same thing in his interview with Gary Lineker before the Chelsea game. 'The hard part (of managing United) is the expectation...The relation between our true potential, and the expectations we create...there is a gap...and that gap is the most difficult thing'.

That's managing down expectations too, so nothing has changed on that front.

The problem with bashing the players in the media is that its just playing to gallery. Its Mourinho and the fans vs. the players, as if Mourinho has no responsibility. He's building a siege mentality alright but seemingly against the players not with the players against the rest. If Mourinho wants to tear strips of the players and demand more from them, I am delighted too. But that should be done behind closed doors. Not as showboating for the fans and the media. It erodes trust between the players and the manager. Its negative. I expected this sort of behaviour from Mourinho by the second season, but I didn't expect it in the first.

At this point though we are locked in so might as well enjoy the ride.

Even if Mourinho wanted to sell the players that would be no big deal. Jones and Smalling for example have well proven at this stage that they have serious injury issues, that will likely never go away. Moving them on and bringing in a replacement who isn't so injury prone would be perfectly reasonable.

As you say, the problem is Mourinho's public behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But he suffered this injury during international duty, injuring Smalling in the process. He is very injury prone and as such cannot be deemed to be a reliable member of the squad (again this is not a go at him personally, just the way it is).

Smalling injured Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Moved house so havn' got all my stuff setup yet (Sky man arriving tomorrow thank ****) so missed the match at the weekend only catching the result.

Feel thankful I did. Had a lovely weekend just saw the result and was like " yeah, pathetic as usual". Mates on whatsapp were proper losing it during and after. His excuses on the games played by the way, exposed nicely for the nonsense it is, is really getting beyond laughable.

It is a massive struggle for me, massive, to support this manager to the hilt. We are in May now....May...and still has not addressed the issues from early in the season. The solution likely just being spending loads of money in the summer and hoping for the best. I sincerely hope he wins a league title or something of note next season, because without his success this is just an extremely infuriating man to have to put up with, with no real pattern or play, style or plan.

I can only imagine the Swansea match was as hopeless and clueless as many of the others.

I'm really, REALLY surprised there hasn't been more pointed criticism from what has happened this season, and maybe it might start soon enough. But this has been obviously brutal for large parts, papered over here and there. Maybe I'm just damaged goods and after three seasons post Fergie am now a sceptic who needs convincing rather then able to just give my full support without worry. Feels like I had a little spell during the season where I felt positive, but very quickly have been put back into pure sceptic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Smalling and Jones were sold, would one fit CB be enough of a replacement? So the four senior centre-backs would be Bailly, Rojo, New Guy and Blind.

Pro. F wrote: »
    If Smalling and Jones were sold, would one fit CB be enough of a replacement? So the four senior centre-backs would be Bailly, Rojo, New Guy and Blind.

Blind seems to be more the modern day John O'Shea, as in he fits many positions if needed. Id like 2 center half's esp if we get into the europa again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Daily Mail believes Griezmann will move to United on a 5 year contract and get paid €350,000 a week, making him the highest paid player in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Surely at some point were going to have to introduce tfm or tuanzebe to fist team football? If Jones and Smalling are gone we would have rojo, bailly and a new cb and blind to fill in if needed and two top young centerbacks that need game time.

Tfm should be getting time in Carrick role and cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sky reporting that Shaw suffered ligament damage. That would be season over for him too. Hopefully Bailly is ok for Thursday, but if he isn't I would much rather play Carrick at CB than Darmian.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement