Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Surely at some point were going to have to introduce tfm or tuanzebe to fist team football? If Jones and Smalling are gone we would have rojo, bailly and a new cb and blind to fill in if needed and two top young centerbacks that need game time.

Tfm should be getting time in Carrick role and cb.

I'm afraid he's injured :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

jayo26 wrote: »
    Tfm should be getting time in Carrick role and cb.

TFM only has one shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Has there been any update on TFM, as in how bad his injury is in terms of time out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Blind seems to be more the modern day John O'Shea, as in he fits many positions if needed. Id like 2 center half's esp if we get into the europa again.

I think Blind is probably a good 3rd choice CB and DM, but don't like him at full-back. So maybe if he's only covering two spots one new CB would be enough. Gives the kids more of a chance to get games, as jayo says. But I honestly don't know enough about the kids to know if they're good enough at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lads I think Jayo is talking about next season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

TheDoc wrote: »
    It is a massive struggle for me, massive, to support this manager to the hilt. We are in May now....May...and still has not addressed the issues from early in the season. The solution likely just being spending loads of money in the summer and hoping for the best. I sincerely hope he wins a league title or something of note next season, because without his success this is just an extremely infuriating man to have to put up with, with no real pattern or play, style or plan.

I can only imagine the Swansea match was as hopeless and clueless as many of the others.

I'm really, REALLY surprised there hasn't been more pointed criticism from what has happened this season, and maybe it might start soon enough.

That sounds like you just hate Mourinho. This season has been a huge improvement on the last 3 years since Fergie left. The team creates lots of chances but just isn't finishing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm afraid he's injured :/

No I mean for next season going forward.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think Blind is probably a good 3rd choice CB and DM, but don't like him at full-back. So maybe if he's only covering two spots one new CB would be enough. Gives the kids more of a chance to get games, as jayo says. But I honestly don't know enough about the kids to know if they're good enough at CB.

From what we have seen of tfm in first team he looks to be strong and fast and solid he should of been on loan this year.

Tuanzebe has great potential a real warrior type centre back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Korat wrote: »
    That sounds like you just hate Mourinho. This season has been a huge improvement on the last 3 years since Fergie left. The team creates lots of chances but just isn't finishing them.

To add to this, while I'm disappointed with how the season has gone, and do place some blame on Jose, I feel the majoirty of the blame is on the players, who just don't seem willing to ever put up any sort of fight.

The Swansea game was a good example; Jose's four signings basically weren't on the pitch for most of the game (Ibra & Pogba out hurt, Bailly off early, and Mkhi only put on late in the game). It was a chance (again) for the likes of Martial, Rooney et al. to step up and prove their worth. And it's not that they tried and failed. They barely seemed bothered at all. There's a rotten core of players he's inherited who don't seem to want to be there, so **** them.

So yeah, people will deride the idea that we need to spend a boat load of cash to fix the problems, but when the problem is the ****ty mentality of players Jose has inherited, then I back the manager in this case. Jose inherited a team who seemed quite content with battling for forth, and if spending cash and shipping them out is what it takes to try and fix the problem, thats what it takes.

Meanwhile, by and large, we've won one cup this season, and are in the semis of a second (European) tournament. Our play style has improved drastically compared to last year. We've been massively dominate for 95% of the season (I can count on one hand the games we have been utterly outplayed in), and if we can actually, ya know, finish chances, we should be flying next season. Jose has, imo, built a brilliant foundation this season despite a myriad of player problems, and I want to see what he can do with the summer window when given 100% freedom, in and out.

I do expect a title challenge next season, regardless of CL football qualification or not. But looking at all factors and overall tactical performance, I'm still 100% behind Jose afetr this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    Hopefully Bailly is ok for Thursday, but if he isn't I would much rather play Carrick at CB than Darmian.

I'd prefer Darmian myself, he is a good, versatile defender and personally I wouldn't be confident in Carrick playing in defence again. I know he has played there before but if he plays on Thursday better it be in front of the defence protecting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If Smalling and Jones were sold, would one fit CB be enough of a replacement? So the four senior centre-backs would be Bailly, Rojo, New Guy and Blind.

Not imo. Blind is not good enough for CB. I still have my reservations about Rojo long term too, despite an impressive few months alongside Bailly.

Jones certainly has to be moved on at this stage. possibly Smalling too, although I dont think it is feasible to get rid of the two in the summer purely because of the other business that needs to be done.

I`d keep Smalling out of the two because I think he is the better player and possibly less injury prone than Jones.

If both didnt have their injury issues i would keep both of them as I think they are. along with Bailly, the best CBs at the club.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    To add to this, while I'm disappointed with how the season has gone, and do place some blame on Jose, I feel the majoirty of the blame is on the players, who just don't seem willing to ever put up any sort of fight.

The Swansea game was a good example; Jose's four signings basically weren't on the pitch for most of the game (Ibra & Pogba out hurt, Bailly off early, and Mkhi only put on late in the game). It was a chance (again) for the likes of Martial, Rooney et al. to step up and prove their worth. And it's not that they tried and failed. They barely seemed bothered at all. There's a rotten core of players he's inherited who don't seem to want to be there, so **** them.

For as much as Doc seems to hate Jose, you seem to hate the players.

Also, you're talking as if it's just the players Jose inherited that have failed this season, but Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Ibra and Bailly have all been involved in just as many dissapointing results and performances as any other players in the squad.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Moved house so havn' got all my stuff setup yet (Sky man arriving tomorrow thank ****) so missed the match at the weekend only catching the result.

Feel thankful I did. Had a lovely weekend just saw the result and was like " yeah, pathetic as usual". Mates on whatsapp were proper losing it during and after. His excuses on the games played by the way, exposed nicely for the nonsense it is, is really getting beyond laughable.

It is a massive struggle for me, massive, to support this manager to the hilt. We are in May now....May...and still has not addressed the issues from early in the season. The solution likely just being spending loads of money in the summer and hoping for the best. I sincerely hope he wins a league title or something of note next season, because without his success this is just an extremely infuriating man to have to put up with, with no real pattern or play, style or plan.

I can only imagine the Swansea match was as hopeless and clueless as many of the others.

I'm really, REALLY surprised there hasn't been more pointed criticism from what has happened this season, and maybe it might start soon enough. But this has been obviously brutal for large parts, papered over here and there. Maybe I'm just damaged goods and after three seasons post Fergie am now a sceptic who needs convincing rather then able to just give my full support without worry. Feels like I had a little spell during the season where I felt positive, but very quickly have been put back into pure sceptic

Hyperbole.

You are postig this after a match you havent seen after your mates were venting on whatsapp

Id also have Darmian in ahead of Carrick at CB and all the indications are thats what Jose will do too.

I think the two most important sigings in the summer will be a DM and a striker.

A proper DM will give balance to the team which has been missing and allow Pogba to play to his strength rather than being indulged(which I think Jose and the team are doing at the moment).

Once that midfield is sorted and functioning a lot of other pieces will fall into place naturally.

For as much as Doc seems to hate Jose, you seem to hate the players.

Also, you're talking as if it's just the players Jose inherited that have failed this season, but Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Ibra and Bailly have all been involved in just as many dissapointing results and performances as any other players in the squad.

I'll happily admit, there are some I feel massively let down by. There's many I've grown to be so, so frustrated by their attitudes on the pitch, and if they give off the vibe they don't want to give 100% for the club to fight it's decline, I've no intentions of wasting time for them.

As for as the four you named...

Ibrahimovic is our top scorer by a fair margin; he has two less goals than the next three (Mata, Mkhi, Rashford) combined. I know he had a few bad games where he could have helped turn those draws into wins, but at the same time, he's easily going to win our POTY award. Without him, the club would have struggled even more this year.

Bailly has been brilliant. With the exception of the time he missed due to the African cup and the first few weeks back, he's had a very good first season imo. And given our defensive solidness, and the fact he's not had a settled line around him, I'd have zero criticism to aim his way at all.

Pogba gets mixed reactions. I don't think he's lived up to his price tag, and he has elements to his game that frustrate me. But when I see how we've played when he's not in the team verses when he is, I'm willing to give him some leeway. He should have scored more, no doubt. I'm willing to let frustrations remain a lower level though until next season (same as with Jose).

Mkhi has been disappointing overall; he's had some very, very good games, but doesn't seem to be able to do anything consistently. Part of that is down to he can't get a solid run of games, which would be a criticism I level at Jose as much as Mkhi. Hopefully he kicks on next year.

Overall though, I think the four have been positive additions to the club, and if we can get more players of their level in this summer, I think we'll easily be doing better next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Korat wrote:

Apart from the 2 away games to city and Liverpool where you created 2 chances combined.

For the money spent Jose has escaped a lot of criticism. All this talk of improvement is rubbish. Start off-the-wall season with squad, new signings and Jose. United were expected to challenge for the league. While I think it would be harsh to say anything less is a failure, I do think being so far off the pace is definitely not good enough.

If ye spend 200 million this summer would you be happy with 4th next season considering it's an improvement on this season? Heck no. it wouldn't be good enough.

All the rubbish of not having the players. Ye have a bigger squad than Liverpool and spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/859345239273865216

Rob Dawson saying De Gea isn't pushing for a move.

But he does go on to say:

"There is an acceptance among senior figures at Old Trafford that Real offer a significant pull for a player who grew up in the Spanish capital.

However, they are buoyed by De Gea's decision to stay at United last summer and see no reason why he should not make the same choice this time around."

Other than Marca no one else is pushing the De Gea to leave story. Even Ballague is saying he doesn't want to necessarily leave. I can't see us pushing him out if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

+1 for darmian. He's one of very few players who I feel better about after this season.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Apart from the 2 away games to city and Liverpool where you created 2 chances combined.

Luckily, the season and judgement on it shouldn't be based on 2 games, especially when the season will have had near 60 games played...

• Advertisement

Luckily, the season and judgement on it shouldn't be based on 2 games, especially when the season will have had near 60 games played...

2 draws away from home against 2 close rivals. Im happy with those results despite how we played din the game. We defended excellently in both games.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    2 draws away from home against 2 close rivals. Im happy with those results despite how we played din the game. We defended excellently in both games.

To add, the City game was a team ravaged by injuries (and a stupid red card), and we're still the only team that Liverpool have played twice and not gotten a win against (Southampton and West Ham still have the chance to join us, but thats unlikely...).

On the list of results I'd be annoyed about, City and Pool don't register in the top 10....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

adox wrote: »
    Id also have Darmian in ahead of Carrick at CB and all the indications are thats what Jose will do too.

I think the two most important sigings in the summer will be a DM and a striker.

A proper DM will give balance to the team which has been missing and allow Pogba to play to his strength rather than being indulged(which I think Jose and the team are doing at the moment).

Once that midfield is sorted and functioning a lot of other pieces will fall into place naturally.

Am I the only one who likes Herrera? He has been excellent in the deep playmaker/holding role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/859368670119833600
    Manchester United register interest in Andrea Belotti with Torino

https://twitter.com/IndyFootball/status/859368134872113153
    Manchester United and City among six teams chasing Kylian Mbappe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

pjohnson wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes Herrera? He has been excellent in the deep playmaker/holding role.

He's clearly been our most consistent midfielder this season and he never stops trying which is a big plus. Needs a manager who trusts him more. Think he is our most solid midfielder whereas some have under delivered.

JamboMac wrote: »
    He's clearly been our most consistent midfielder this season and he never stops trying which is a big plus. Needs a manager who trusts him more. Think he is our most solid midfielder whereas some have under delivered.

Yeah seeing us supossedly "needing" another DM for Pogba is strange. I'll take Herrera happily. Unless we plan on selling him. After the season he has had he does not deserve to be benched. He worked damn hard to get the DM position and more than delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Smalling and Jones were sold, would one fit CB be enough of a replacement? So the four senior centre-backs would be Bailly, Rojo, New Guy and Blind.

I think one top class CB would be enough.Himself and Bailly be first choice with Rojo, Blind and Tubzebe as back up.

If Jones and Smalling can't be relied upon then one of them needs to go.Probably best to get one out one in for now as there are several other areas that need strengthening this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Korat wrote:

For the money spent Jose has escaped a lot of criticism. All this talk of improvement is rubbish. Start off-the-wall season with squad, new signings and Jose. United were expected to challenge for the league. While I think it would be harsh to say anything less is a failure, I do think being so far off the pace is definitely not good enough.

If ye spend 200 million this summer would you be happy with 4th next season considering it's an improvement on this season? Heck no. it wouldn't be good enough.

All the rubbish of not having the players. Ye have a bigger squad than Liverpool and spurs.
    Fergie sent out of teams to park the bus plenty of times. Last season was the worst football I'd ever seen from a Utd team so I'm delighted with the improvement this season.
    The signings made since since Ed Woodward took over as CE have been bad value and left us with a squad incapable of challenging for a title. Liverpool went through a similar phase through the '90s where it seemed the more they spent the worse the team got. Hopefully Utd don't end up like them in 27 years spoofing about title chances every September.
    Jose is the right kind of coach to break that cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »

I don't really get the buzz around Belotti. Now I don't see all Torino games and there's no doubt he's goal scoring record but when I watch him, he never jumps out at me. The recent game against Samp, thought he was dire

I'd prefer Darmian myself, he is a good, versatile defender and personally I wouldn't be confident in Carrick playing in defence again. I know he has played there before but if he plays on Thursday better it be in front of the defence protecting them.

That's probably fair enough.

I do like Darmian, he's a very good defender but his positioning at the weekend was a bit worrying when he came on. He left big gaps between himself and Blind a few times. He seemed to be rushing out to close down as if he was playing full back, rather than staying in contact with his other CB. Hopefully a few days on the training ground with Mourinho will prepare him.

I'm not confident in Carrick playing in defense either, but his experience would probably get him through it. I can't remember Darmian (in what I know of his career) ever playing CB, but at least Carrick has on occasion.

I won't be particularly confident with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    Last season was the worst football I'd ever seen from a Utd team

Something that is easily forgotten by some people and ignored by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Yeah seeing us supossedly "needing" another DM for Pogba is strange. I'll take Herrera happily. Unless we plan on selling him. After the season he has had he does not deserve to be benched. He worked damn hard to get the DM position and more than delivered.

It's funny he came in like a big one for the future but every manager has consistently overlooked him, other players would have cried if they where treated like him. Think him and pogba could be great, if pogba starts living up to the hype he creates, more consistent performance needed. Mhktyran hasn't done much at all and see little use for him unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Not fully sold on Mourinho. I accept he's the best choice for us at this time but his theatrics drove me nuts at Chelsea and I can't stand that carry on at Utd. It does appear that he's toned it down a little in the second half of the season so I have warmed a little towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It's funny he came in like a big one for the future but every manager has consistently overlooked him, other players would have cried if they where treated like him. Think him and pogba could be great, if pogba starts living up to the hype he creates, more consistent performance needed. Mhktyran hasn't done much at all and see little use for him unless I'm missing something.

Think Miki has something like 11 goals this season without playing a huge amount. Super player imo and one I'd definitely keep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winning EL would really ease the pressure on Jose going into next season, cause if we dont win it we will be expecting blood from the very beginning of next season.

I think its a far more important Trophy to win then what many realise. Dont win it and I would expect we have win league or go extremely close.

The excuses will be over.

This season has been miles ahead of previous seasons. Our defense is reasonably solid. Our keeper is no longer saving us consistently in every match. We create a good number of chances in the majority of games even if the finishing has been horrific. We have the clubs longest unbeaten run in the Premier League era. The managers signings have came in and had a positive impact.

Pretty much all of that was absent with Moyes and Van Gaal. If you can't trust Mourinho, then where do you turn next for an equally good manager? Pochettino (who is not attainable) and has never won a trophy? Jardim at Monaco because he is flavor of the month with clueless journalists that'll write him off if he doesn't win something next season?

There is nobody who is proven in Europe, the Premier League and other leagues like Mourinho is, except Guardiola & Ancelotti.

Yhh no one else here as ever mentioned a fondness for him at all :):)

He has been one of the best midfielders in the league this year but he Should not be looked at as a carrick replscement that role requires a player that is more dissaplined to sit back defensively and that would ruin anders game.

I'll happily admit, there are some I feel massively let down by. There's many I've grown to be so, so frustrated by their attitudes on the pitch, and if they give off the vibe they don't want to give 100% for the club to fight it's decline, I've no intentions of wasting time for them.

As for as the four you named...

Ibrahimovic is our top scorer by a fair margin; he has two less goals than the next three (Mata, Mkhi, Rashford) combined. I know he had a few bad games where he could have helped turn those draws into wins, but at the same time, he's easily going to win our POTY award. Without him, the club would have struggled even more this year.

Bailly has been brilliant. With the exception of the time he missed due to the African cup and the first few weeks back, he's had a very good first season imo. And given our defensive solidness, and the fact he's not had a settled line around him, I'd have zero criticism to aim his way at all.

Pogba gets mixed reactions. I don't think he's lived up to his price tag, and he has elements to his game that frustrate me. But when I see how we've played when he's not in the team verses when he is, I'm willing to give him some leeway. He should have scored more, no doubt. I'm willing to let frustrations remain a lower level though until next season (same as with Jose).

Mkhi has been disappointing overall; he's had some very, very good games, but doesn't seem to be able to do anything consistently. Part of that is down to he can't get a solid run of games, which would be a criticism I level at Jose as much as Mkhi. Hopefully he kicks on next year.

Overall though, I think the four have been positive additions to the club, and if we can get more players of their level in this summer, I think we'll easily be doing better next season.

You are just reading what you want to read into selected poor results and performances. Any that involve players you don't like and you start moaning about attitude and commitment and talking of a rotten core at the club. But there have been loads of poor results and performances that have involved the new signings too and yet you don't draw any conclucisions about the new players' attitude from those games. The Swansea game is suppposedly a good example, but somehow all the other poor games this season aren't.

We can rightly talk up the good qualities of lots of players in the squad, but - aside from Ibra, the GK and the defence as a whole - they've all struggled this season.

You say the team has played better with Pogba, but he was still involved in most of our poor games and his role in that midfield is still not fully functioning. The loss to Watford; two draws with Stoke; hammering by Chelsea; 0-0 with Burnley; draw with West Ham; draw with Everton; 0-0 with Hull - he started all of these games.

If we make more top quality purchases in the summer then we'll see an improvement in results. Of course. That's true for any team. It doesn't lend any weight to your "rotten core of players" line. That's just scoreboard venting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Id happily petition the club to withdraw from the Europa League next season if we end up in it. It has ruined us this year like it does every other team every year. Just play Nicky Butts team in it until the knockout stages and if they somehow get there then take it serious. I actually think we would be lucky to reach the final this year and win it. It's all starting to fall apart right when we need it to hold together.

I just don't see the point in bashing Jose yet as he might irritate people with his complaining but he is a serial winner and I have no idea who we could possibly replace him with if he leaves us at the end of next year. Diego Simeone is the only high profile succesful manager not already in the Premier League and I've my doubts anyone would warm to his style of football or his antics.

Also..... In a world of millionaire entitled footballers where there is loads of talk of player power pushing managers out and downing tools to make managers lose their job, I'm glad Jose is calling out players about anything he sees fit. Don't care how many of them have their feelings hurt, they can leave if they don't like it. Jose is trying to set standards at the absolute highest and if you want to stay off his hit list then perform.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yhh no one else here as ever mentioned a fondness for him at all :):)

He has been one of the best midfielders in the league this year but he Should not be looked at as a carrick replscement that role requires a player that is more dissaplined to sit back defensively and that would ruin anders game.

Ander has regularly played deeper of the two midfielders and not had his influence damaged........a new midfielder throws Ander out of the side. Unless we sacrifice the AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If Utd play with a midfield trio of Herrera Pogba and a DM they'll need to get a hell of a lot more out of Pogba offensively IMO.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    If Utd play with a midfield trio of Herrera Pogba and a DM they'll need to get a hell of a lot more out of Pogba offensively IMO.
    If we do add another DM I'd hope Ander moves somewhere that will appreciate him.

Id play Herrera further forward so a midfield 3 of new DM Herrera and Pogba.

hes not good enough as a DM imo and playing him in that position also loses his dynamism and creative side.

adox wrote: »
    Id play Herrera further forward so a midfield 3 of new DM Herrera and Pogba.

hes not good enough as a DM imo and playing him in that position also loses his dynamism and creative side.

I suppose we could do without the #10 position. Seems odd given the abundance of natural #10's we have but both Mhiki and Mata are used to playing wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

GSPfan wrote: »
    Id happily petition the club to withdraw from the Europa League next season if we end up in it. It has ruined us this year like it does every other team every year. Just play Nicky Butts team in it until the knockout stages and if they somehow get there then take it serious. I actually think we would be lucky to reach the final this year and win it. It's all starting to fall apart right when we need it to hold together.

I just don't see the point in bashing Jose yet as he might irritate people with his complaining but he is a serial winner and I have no idea who we could possibly replace him with if he leaves us at the end of next year. Diego Simeone is the only high profile succesful manager not already in the Premier League and I've my doubts anyone would warm to his style of football or his antics.

Also..... In a world of millionaire entitled footballers where there is loads of talk of player power pushing managers out and downing tools to make managers lose their job, I'm glad Jose is calling out players about anything he sees fit. Don't care how many of them have their feelings hurt, they can leave if they don't like it. Jose is trying to set standards at the absolute highest and if you want to stay off his hit list then perform.

I really don't understand this mentality, from MU or other clubs.

The whole point of a football team is to play football. Its not about Memes, or instagram or Asian merchandising tours.

Why would you possibly not want your team to be involved in one of the two big europeans comps?

Just get the right squad for it. Jose excuse about too much football is just that, an excuse. We played the end of a tight league, FA Cup final and CL final in 1999 within a week or so of each other. Winning makes players want to play.

Spurs spent a few years complaining about the EL and when they finally got into the CL, guess what, they struggled in that. Its a mindset. Sure, the EL causes some additional travel and turnaround issues, but instead of complaining how about making sure you avoid it next year by getting into the top 4.

Avoiding it is just another excuse for the team to underperform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

And the point sticks when the "good displays" bring 5th place

And the point sticks when the "good displays" bring 5th place

And hes putting that down to the team, not the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair, he seems to have played his way very much into Jose's good books - started 21 of the last 25 games (on the bench vs Wigan, Bournemouth & both Anderlecht games). Personally I think he's absolutely fantastic, if the whole team were as capable and hard working as him with the same mentality we'd be top of the table in my opinion.

Pogba is at his best with two others around him though, like Pirlo and Vidal at Juve. Herrera is maybe not on Vidal's level since he is/was an absolute monster, but he has some similar traits of working his arse off every minute while being very good on the ball (I'd rate him higher than Vidal there) and while not in the Keane-like 'warrior' mold Vidal has he is in no way afraid to be combative and fight for control of the game. He's more of a CM who does a good deal of everything for me though than a DM, at his best (a bit like a better version of Arteta - hugely versatile but at his best when contributing in multiple areas.

If we had a time machine, a 5-10 years younger Carrick would be a great fit for the two of them - someone to sweep up everything from deep, be extremely disciplined and control the tempo. We won't get Veratti, but to my mind adding him to Pogba/Herrera would give us one of the very, very best midfields in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That should be the case. Our CB's just feel like they are made of glass the last three seasons.

Does any team really carry more then 4 first team CB's? I'd struggle to name 3rd and 4th choice CB's at Real, Barca and Bayern for example.

I can see logic in dumping Smalling and Jones and getting in a new high quality one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Leroy42 wrote: »
    GSPfan wrote: »

I really don't understand this mentality, from MU or other clubs.

The whole point of a football team is to play football. Its not about Memes, or instagram or Asian merchandising tours.

Why would you possibly not want your team to be involved in one of the two big europeans comps?

Just get the right squad for it. Jose excuse about too much football is just that, an excuse. We played the end of a tight league, FA Cup final and CL final in 1999 within a week or so of each other. Winning makes players want to play.

Spurs spent a few years complaining about the EL and when they finally got into the CL, guess what, they struggled in that. Its a mindset. Sure, the EL causes some additional travel and turnaround issues, but instead of complaining how about making sure you avoid it next year by getting into the top 4.

Avoiding it is just another excuse for the team to underperform

I can understand and sympathise with both perspectives. The really great thing about Jose Mourinho is that he takes everything seriously and he seems to be incapable of taking games lightly. He is a winner.

The problem sometimes is this means spreading ourselves too thin.

I honestly wouldn't want another EL campaign. It's exhausting and to be honest the end of the season can't come quickly enough for me. The football we're playing at the moment is garbage and I can't see it improving this month (which is understandable but please just let it end!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair, he seems to have played his way very much into Jose's good books - started 21 of the last 25 games (on the bench vs Wigan, Bournemouth & both Anderlecht games). Personally I think he's absolutely fantastic, if the whole team were as capable and hard working as him with the same mentality we'd be top of the table in my opinion.

Pogba is at his best with two others around him though, like Pirlo and Vidal at Juve. Herrera is maybe not on Vidal's level since he is/was an absolute monster, but he has some similar traits of working his arse off every minute while being very good on the ball (I'd rate him higher than Vidal there) and while not in the Keane-like 'warrior' mold Vidal has he is in no way afraid to be combative and fight for control of the game. He's more of a CM who does a good deal of everything for me though than a DM, at his best (a bit like a better version of Arteta - hugely versatile but at his best when contributing in multiple areas.

If we had a time machine, a 5-10 years younger Carrick would be a great fit for the two of them - someone to sweep up everything from deep, be extremely disciplined and control the tempo. We won't get Veratti, but to my mind adding him to Pogba/Herrera would give us one of the very, very best midfields in world football.

Come on now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement