Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Joses presser in a nutshell:
    Priority for rest of season is EL
    Good

Confirmed also that Shaw out for the season.
    That's Shaw, Ibra and Rojo out for season now.

Pogba, Smalling, Jones and Bially all available for selection.

Edit* Juan Mata available also

Players will be rested in the PL to prioritize the EL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ajax 2-0 up against Lyon :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ajax 2-0 up against Lyon :O

That good or bad, who is the better team?

I know it sounds like a stupid question considering the score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ajax were widely considered the best of the other 3 still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Wouldn't be worrying about the final until we get past Celta Vigo.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »

Really? I had Lyon pegged as such. But maybe thats cause I know more of their players via Fifa....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »

I wouod if said lyon. Ajax have as always a good team but Lyon have some quality players and Lacazette is one of the most inform forwards in Europe and has been for a few years.

• Korat wrote: »
    Wouldn't be worrying about the final until we get past Celta Vigo.

Exactly, don't do a Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Away goal for Lyon

8-10 wrote: »
    United would destroy that Ajax team. Too poor defensively. They're the team you want in the final

Not bothered who is in it tbh so long as United are one of the sides!!!

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    Away goal for Lyon

4-1 now Mick. Tough ask that.

Ajax look top quality their forwards movement is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

adox wrote: »
    I'd still have Maradonna as the greatest ever. :)

Yeah but your old enough to remember him :p

Ajax are brilliant at home, they can't play the final in Amsterdam though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

That Ajax side look very good although Lyon were absolutely awful defensively. No point thinking about either of them until we get past Celta Vigo which wont be easy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mbappe would be a great buy, he looks like a superstar in the making.

RobertKK wrote: »

Problem is he would cost more then a readymade superstar.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Problem is he would cost more then a readymade superstar.

Harry Kane but Spurs won't sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If United are buying a CF then it's hard look past Lukaku as a getable target.Plenty of names will be bandied about but are probably unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

So did Depay.

• Advertisement

Bakayoko has been poor tonight at fault for both goals

yabadabado wrote: »
    If United are buying a CF then it's hard look past Lukaku as a getable target.Plenty of names will be bandied about but are probably unrealistic.

I agree there but would he be enough if a jose player? Could imagine him having a few frustrating games and jose laying into him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Outside the huge Pogba fee, Jose made good value signings in Ibra, Bailly and Mkhitaryan.

If United spend big on a player I still expect some more sensible (cost) signings as well.

I know it's only rumours but the prices being quoted for him are ridiculous and if you think what we paid for martial a relative unknown compared to him I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours were true

I agree there but would he be enough if a jose player? Could imagine him having a few frustrating games and jose laying into him.

His work rate seems suspect alright but he ticks most box's.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Outside the huge Pogba fee, Jose made good value signings in Ibra, Bailly and Mkhitaryan.

If United spend big on a player I still expect some more sensible (cost) signings as well.

If he can replicate last seasons transfer window I think most would be very happy. Do United really need to be buying all big names when there should be plenty of players who can be bought and developed into top class players. Jose seemed to do that pretty well at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been seeing shirts reduced, are we getting another new kit for next season? I thought kits could only be changed every 2yrs??

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been seeing shirts reduced, are we getting another new kit for next season? I thought kits could only be changed every 2yrs??
    Yeah I think so ,wasnt there pics of new shirts posted here lately.
    I think that 2 year rule is long gone.

3 new kits every year these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Marchisio would be a good man to have in the team,but wrong side of 30 now same with Modric,it would be great to see him playing for Utd but again age is against him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Marchisio would be a good man to have in the team,but wrong side of 30 now same with Modric,it would be great to see him playing for Utd but again age is against him

People said the same when Pirlo moved to Juventus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

irishman86 wrote: »
    People said the same when Pirlo moved to Juventus

Ok, sign the two of them :D

DM_7 wrote: »

The funny thing about it is pogba will probably cost the club less in the long run then mki or bailly.

The fee attached to pogba is not inflated because he is a ronaldo or Messi level player he will never be that level even for midfielder it's inflated because he is one of the biggest brand names in football but also a very good midfielder.

I'm not making excuses for him but if people are going to judge his performances on his transfer fee then they are going to be very disappointed unless he really does step up to another level that is way beyond he ever reached before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

We've had a new home kit every year for the last 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    We've had a new home kit every year for the last 8 years.

we have?? hahaha, i never noticed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im very shocked at the Ajax v Lyon result. Never saw that coming

Headshot wrote: »
    Im very shocked at the Ajax v Lyon result. Never saw that coming

Did you see the game? It was even more shocking they player really well but Lyon were terrible too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Did you see the game? It was even more shocking they player really well but Lyon were terrible too.

Unfortunately I was working

Now we just get through Celta (fingers crossed) and id be very confident of beating Ajax

Celta Vigo will be very difficult.

Hopefully we take our chances.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Unfortunately I was working

Now we just get through Celta (fingers crossed) and id be very confident of beating Ajax

Going to be tough I know celta ain't good but they have nothing else to play for they will be up for it.

I think the most important thing to get right before we make any more big signings is getting the most out of the players we actually have. Watching the Champions League games tonight and yesterday it's obvious that these teams are far more than just a collection of excellent players. They play with purpose and with a plan. They move the ball quickly and intelligently. So often watching United it just seems like the players are too casually passing the ball around waiting for someone to make something happen before it's inevitably sent out wide for Valencia to cross. It's concerning to recall how poor and disappointing Falcao and di Maria were for us but are now flying with Monaco and PSG. Similarly Pogba was an excellent player for Juventus over the last few years but he's been relatively disappointing for us. At the same time his former team is in to the Champions League final and have a good chance of winning it. Mkhitaryan, in my opinion, hasn't been anywhere near as good or consistent as he was at Dortmund who were another well oiled machine for a few years despite having few real superstars. Even Depay is performing better since he left the club.

Even within the United squad, the thought of Martial's future at the club being in doubt this time last year was unthinkable, yet it seems that he may well leave this summer. Rojo was often regarded as a substandard defender and too prone to mistakes - up until his injury he was one of our best and most consistent performers. I said similar at the weekend after the Swansea game when everyone here was moaning about how everyone above us in the league has a superior squad. Our squad is more of a match for anyone else in the league but we're not getting the best out of it at all. Until we do that I think it's rather pointless in a way to throw out names of potential signings who could very easily end up to be another di Maria or Depay.

Obviously, there are weakness in the squad and areas we can improve on. But that can be said of any squad. The key is to actually have an effective system for playing and winning matches that will get the best out of everyone, that everyone is on board with and well drilled to execute. Then supplementing that system with the right type of quality will bring us to the next level. Throwing money around every year is not the answer, it's Football Manager/Fifa stuff and most certainly will not always bring the right type of player to the club regardless of his quality. Take Herrera for example, how many top clubs were in for him when we tried to sign him under Moyes and then a year later under LVG? How many clubs are rumoured to be after him now? None. Yet he's one of our best players, one of the best midfielders in the league and many people's choice for United captain. He's a fighter and he loves the club, I can't even say that about Pogba at the moment with the same certainty. I'd much rather we sign 3 or 4 Herreras this summer than 3 or 4 di Marias.

I think the most important thing to get right before we make any more big signings is getting the most out of the players we actually have. Watching the Champions League games tonight and yesterday it's obvious that these teams are far more than just a collection of excellent players. They play with purpose and with a plan. They move the ball quickly and intelligently. So often watching United it just seems like the players are too casually passing the ball around waiting for someone to make something happen before it's inevitably sent out wide for Valencia to cross. It's concerning to recall how poor and disappointing Falcao and di Maria were for us but are now flying with Monaco and PSG. Similarly Pogba was an excellent player for Juventus over the last few years but he's been relatively disappointing for us. At the same time his former team is in to the Champions League final and have a good chance of winning it. Mkhitaryan, in my opinion, hasn't been anywhere near as good or consistent as he was at Dortmund who were another well oiled machine for a few years despite having few real superstars. Even Depay is performing better since he left the club.

Even within the United squad, the thought of Martial's future at the club being in doubt this time last year was unthinkable, yet it seems that he may well leave this summer. Rojo was often regarded as a substandard defender and too prone to mistakes - up until his injury he was one of our best and most consistent performers. I said similar at the weekend after the Swansea game when everyone here was moaning about how everyone above us in the league has a superior squad. Our squad is more of a match for anyone else in the league but we're not getting the best out of it at all. Until we do that I think it's rather pointless in a way to throw out names of potential signings who could very easily end up to be another di Maria or Depay.

Obviously, there are weakness in the squad and areas we can improve on. But that can be said of any squad. The key is to actually have an effective system for playing and winning matches that will get the best out of everyone, that everyone is on board with and well drilled to execute. Then supplementing that system with the right type of quality will bring us to the next level. Throwing money around every year is not the answer, it's Football Manager/Fifa stuff and most certainly will not always bring the right type of player to the club regardless of his quality. Take Herrera for example, how many top clubs were in for him when we tried to sign him under Moyes and then a year later under LVG? How many clubs are rumoured to be after him now? None. Yet he's one of our best players, one of the best midfielders in the league and many people's choice for United captain. He's a fighter and he loves the club, I can't even say that about Pogba at the moment with the same certainty. I'd much rather we sign 3 or 4 Herreras this summer than 3 or 4 di Marias.

Herrera linked with Barcelona wanting him.
    Pogba was saying he loved Manchester in 2015, and it was reported he would fly to Manchester often to hang out with friends.
    Falcao joined us after coming from a bad knee injury, and didn't perform for Chelsea either.
    Di Maria always wanted Paris.

Pogba was saying he loved Manchester in 2015, and it was reported he would fly to Manchester often to hang out with friends.
    Falcao joined us after coming from a bad knee injury, and didn't perform for Chelsea either.

Pretty much proves my point.

Not sure how strong the Herrera to Barcelona links were but the fact that he came to United despite the apparent links with Barcelona shows his commitment to the club. That's the kind of player we need. No one linked with him now is there?

Hanging out with friends and fighting for the club are not the same thing. If he was as committed to winning games with the club as he was to flying to Manchester to hang out with friends we'd be far better off for it. I think many, including myself are unconvinced that he'd have moved to United if Barca or Real had made a serious effort to get him. Ronaldo has often spoken of his love for Manchester United too since he's left. Actions speak louder than words.

Again, that's my point. Throwing money at the wrong type of player and putting him into a side that doesn't get the best out of him. He's still after a bad knee injury at Monaco, but performing far better.

Yet we broke our transfer record to get him anyway. Again, the wrong type of player and never demonstrated his quality at the club. Easy to say he always wanted Paris in hindsight. I wonder if he was performing like he did in Madrid for United every week would he have been as quick to leave?

Herrera was linked to Barca last week as an Iniesta replacement, though the stories said he was their third or forth choice (Veratti was named as their #1 choice...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

GSPfan wrote: »
    l think Jose will be sitting down in the Summer with fatigue fully on his brain when he draws up his transfer list. The likes of Darmian, Blind, Lingard, Fellaini have gone from being "Not good enough for United" to being crucial for rotation purposes. Keep everyone because you can almost guarantee every player 10 to 20 games if you rotate correctly.

Iirc Jose was saying how he preferred a smaller squad last summer, and how he had expanded that a little because of the Europa. Considering that he wanted to try to win everything this season it just looks like he underestimated the size of the squad he needed. LVG made a similar mistake and I think Klopp and Pep have been learning the hard way about this this year too (Pep maybe more to do with the age of his squad). To be completely honest I think that all these managers have come from countries/clubs where doping is more common and so they're having to adjust now.

To be fair I know that Jose does put a lot of thought into how to organise training so as to limit fatigue - there's this system he uses called Tactical Periodisation that has, as one of its main benefits, an efficient workload. But the squad size thing, from him and the other three, always seemed unreasonable to most fans of these clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Di Maria was mismanaged. Should have been playing every game through the middle and then was even dropped from the wing for Young who isn't capable of creating or scoring consistently. All of the bullshít came out about him wanting to go after he was being dicked around by LVG.

I think if a big bid came in for Herrera I'd accept it and spend the money on Barkley or Nianggolan and splash out on a dedicated DM. Herrera isn't good enough as a DM and his games as the box to box will be limited if one of the above were to come in. Herrera has a great attitude and it's great how much he riles up other fans but bar doing hatchet jobs on Hazard he doesn't offer much in the big games as the box to box player imo and someone more athletic and powerful would make a lot of difference in there.

That said, it would be nice for one or two players to stay for next season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liam O wrote: »
    I think if a big bid came in for Herrera I'd accept it and spend the money on Barkley or Nianggolan and splash out on a dedicated DM. Herrera isn't good enough as a DM and his games as the box to box will be limited if one of the above were to come in. Herrera has a great attitude and it's great how much he riles up other fans but bar doing hatchet jobs on Hazard he doesn't offer much in the big games as the box to box player imo and someone more athletic and powerful would make a lot of difference in there.

That said, it would be nice for one or two players to stay for next season :p

Couldn't disagree with you more. I'd slap you for this if I was in your presence. Shame on you. Shame, Shame, Shame....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Its The S*n but they are saying Griezmann has agreed a deal to join United.£280k a week.

The Mail are claiming that we have lodged a bid of £64 million for Bellotti with Torino.

If it works out as claimed we'll have Griezmann to replace Rooney and Bellotti to replace Zlatan.

zerks wrote: »
    Its The S*n but they are saying Griezmann has agreed a deal to join United.?280k a week.

The Mail are claiming that we have lodged a bid of ?64 million for Bellotti with Torino.

If it works out as claimed we'll have Griezmann to replace Rooney and Bellotti to replace Zlatan.
    Would be very happy with both signings but ****in hell transfer fees are gone mental.
    Any player linked to United now just seems to have an outrageous fee attached.
    Bellotti will probably sign for another Serie A team for 30m after we are linked with him for the next 3 months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement