Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any injury update? If it is a cruciate for Ibra hopefully it's not the end for him but earliest he'd be back is is xmas and I can't see united waiting until then for him although I would like to see them keep the 1 year deal offer on the table as a reward for how good he's been this season and also he seems like a great influence around the dressing room etc

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

adox wrote: »
    Purely from a numbers point of view would be reason enough to prioritise Rojo, much as I love Zlatan.

And then there's Blind. He looks like the only option Jose will take. Daley ****ing Blind!! We are truly fooled if we have to rely on him as a CB!!

Like last season, when he played the entire season at CB and we finished with the best defense in the league?

Didn't personally feel he had a good game last night, and you may say the LVG negative tactics contributed to our good defensive record too, but Blind proved time and time again last year he is more than reliable in that position, certainly for what is now our 5th choice CB.
    Every week new speculative criticism was leveled at him, like "oh Everton this weekend, Lukaku's strength will expose him". But he absolutely bossed him. Same with faster forwards.

How many teams in the world, if any, would have a better option at CB if they had 3 injured?
    I'd start giving him every second league game now at CB to get him back used to playing that position so his form can get back to that of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't even like Blind at CB but its hardly some disaster that we need to use him there, its not perfect but its not like throwing in a youth player.

Even if he was shaky last night that should be expected, he has barely played a game for months and he should improve with time spent on the field. With 3 CB's now missing we should be relieved that we still have a reliable option to step in instead of resorting to Carrick there or putting some untested kid in for some massive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shaw was quoted as saying Zlatan was walking around the dressing room after the game and was in good spirits, hopefully the injury wasn't as bad as it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Shaw was quoted as saying Zlatan was walking around the dressing room after the game and was in good spirits, hopefully the injury wasn't as bad as it seemed.

I was shocked to see him walking at the start of extra time. Fingers crossed that's a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ken Early is a Man United fan by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I know it's not United related but I see Ugo Ehiogu has passed away after collapsing at Spurs training ground the other day. Terrible, he was only 44. I remember him playing for Aston Villa back in the day. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ken Early is a Man United fan by all accounts

You sure? I'm sure I heard he was a Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

It doesnt matter who he supports. He's a toolbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    It doesnt matter who he supports. He's a toolbag

Has to be a liverpool fan then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ken Earley is a slightly more informed version of Dunphy.Writes utter rubbish most of the time and will always err on the side of pessimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Jose saying Smalling and Jones have to be brave and help the team. Fairly thin veil he's thrown over that. Especially for Smalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Went out for the game last night while it wasn't a classic game it was great atmosphere hopefully rojo will be ok after a rest the weekend poor zlatans looked nasty but that guy has an abnormal body.

Ps. hope you all kept my match thread tidy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

jayo26 wrote: »
    Went out for the game last night while it wasn't a classic game it was great atmosphere hopefully rojo will be ok after a rest the weekend poor zlatans looked nasty but that guy has an abnormal body.

That AiG/Ken Early guy was in flying form about tictacs and vertical passes

100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With Rojo possibly/likely out for the season, it becomes more of an issue to my mind that Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe have been given basically zero chance to play this season. Two players that have been consistently part of the first team squad, that can play centre back, but there is virtually no chance they will be given a game even when we have 3 centre backs out injured. Mourinho doesn't even seem to think of them - yes he mentioned Tuanzebe the other night, but he also has stated many times recently that Rojo and bailly had to play every game because we had no other centre backs.

EDIT: Also, it really annoyed me that Rojo was brought back on after his initial treatment. Given Jones and Smalling were already out they shouldn't have even considered taking a risk and putting him back on. He should have been subbed immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't even like Blind at CB but its hardly some disaster that we need to use him there, its not perfect but its not like throwing in a youth player.

Even if he was shaky last night that should be expected, he has barely played a game for months and he should improve with time spent on the field. With 3 CB's now missing we should be relieved that we still have a reliable option to step in instead of resorting to Carrick there or putting some untested kid in for some massive games.

Agree with this tbh. Blind wasn't great last night at all, but he has been out of the team so long that he is bound to be a bit rusty and off the pace. That's not his fault.

Would much rather see Rojo or Jones in there obviously but Blind should definitely be able to do a competent job vs Burnley for example. Would not necessarily have the same confidence vs City but he can definitely do a decent-ish job more often than not imo and at the very least he is experienced (and can even offer decent pass going forward)

Interesting to see Jose's comments about being brave - must mean Smalling & Jones are not far off. I reckon Jones would probably play if he had a cast on his leg, so the comment was possibly more directed towards Smalling.

Is Darmian an option at CB now that we have Shaw back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Can we now safely say that EL is priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

astradave wrote: »
    You sure? I'm sure I heard he was a Liverpool fan

He sounds like one but I think few here actually said he was United fan.

Open for correction. I was shocked when I heard he was United fan.

• So the stats say otherwise to back up my thoughts last night.

Pogba with the most successful amount of tackles made and the most chances created.
    But that means he needs to be dropped.

Glaring issue last night was Carrick as DM, worst performance from him in a very long time and I have so much time for him but call a spade a spade. He was ****e. Compounded by the fact that Rojo got injured which left our defence more exposed.
    As soon as Fellani came on the pitch we regained full control of Midfield and Pogba no longer had to cover so much ground and do all the work in attack and defense. He covered for Carrick multiple times.

Also on Shaw, was excellent in attack but his positioning let him down defensively at times but with a good run of games I expect that to improve.
    He got through 120 minutes unscathed which to be honest with all the fitness issues he's been having of late is a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pogba is such a positive influence on play.
    LVG would have hated him, he always wants to get the ball forward, does crazy good forward passes on a regular basis, which are not always taken advantage of.
    He does so much good stuff, but he has this way of moving around the pitch which is deceptive and makes him look like he isn't doing much, when he is actually playing really well.

TheDoctor wrote: »

It is a joint priority along with the PL still in my opinion.
    We have a chance to achieve the goal for next season with both.
    Another trophy would be magnificent.

TheDoctor wrote: »

Nope win our next two games and league is just as important. Drop points it's all on el

That match thread scar you for life.

I actually can't believe the stuff been said about pogba on tv and in the thread he gets completely bashed every game and ignore all the good he does.

Giggsy hit the nail on the head with his comment that he is a midfielder and just because of what he cost dies not mean he should be scoring goals and assisting everything.

Last night pogba was everywhere tackling and playing forward passes keeping the ball moving out if all the touches and passing he did last night he was caught out twice I think in possession but people focus on that.

Absolutely love what he brings to the team and love his confidence on the pitch we just need the right people getting on the end of them chances now more often and he needs to get the run of luck and improve his shooting.

• What is frustrating also is that alot of people complained in the LVG era that Utd didn't have a player willing to take risks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That match thread scar you for life.

I actually can't believe the stuff been said about pogba on tv and in the thread he gets completely bashed every game and ignore all the good he does.

Giggsy hit the nail on the head with his comment that he is a midfielder and just because of what he cost dies not mean he should be scoring goals and assisting everything.

Last night pogba was everywhere tackling and playing forward passes keeping the ball moving out if all the touches and passing he did last night he was caught out twice I think in possession but people focus on that.

Absolutely love what he brings to the team and love his confidence on the pitch we just need the right people getting on the end of them chances now more often and he needs to get the run of luck and improve his shooting.

#PogIsLife :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

There are also people dismissing the impact the weaker parts of his game have on results and performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• beno619 wrote: »
    There are also people dismissing the impact the weaker parts of his game have on results and performances.

Not if strikers cannot put the ball in the net
    it was comical last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Part of me wonders has Ibra played his last game for us :(

Will be interesting to see how United adapt to missing Rojo and Ibrahimovic.

Blind would be next up in defence - and from an offensive point of view I think it could be a boon to United. Blind is one of out better players and picking and playing forward passes. Defensively I am not a huge fan - slow and relatively weak - but he is good organisationally and postionally.

Up front it has to be Rashford as first choice - but with the amount of games we have coming up he isn't going to be able to play every minute. Maybe Martial can stop sulking and try to earn a place in the side. have to imagine Rooney will get a few last games too. Lingard did well vs Chelsea but I don't think we should look to him to lead the line when Rashford also needs some sort of break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not if strikers cannot put the ball in the net
    it was comical last night

Yes he wasnt the main issue last night but that doesn't mean he had a fantastic game either.

He missed a sitter or two himself.

• beno619 wrote: »
    Yes he wasnt the main issue last night but that doesn't mean he had a fantastic game either.

He missed a sitter or two himself.

Oh I know he did, but as I mentioned there were calls for him to be dropped and calls to say he was the worst player on the pitch.
    Which is not true at all.

Especially when you realize how much he created and how hard he worked defensively

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

thelad95 wrote: »
    Part of me wonders has Ibra played his last game for us :(

I was hoping his last game would be the Europa final in his home country of Sweden. Seemed like a fairytale ending but maybe its not supposed to be. Who knows, nothing official has come out yet. Luke Shaw said he was walking around the dressing room

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It eas 3 v 2 in midfield and thought Uniteds two did well considering.

When Fellaini came on United got more control which made sense. On the night, picking Lingard and Mkhitaryan made sense but Anderlecht were well set up themselves so that change was needed.

Agree with this tbh. Blind wasn't great last night at all, but he has been out of the team so long that he is bound to be a bit rusty and off the pace. That's not his fault.

Would much rather see Rojo or Jones in there obviously but Blind should definitely be able to do a competent job vs Burnley for example. Would not necessarily have the same confidence vs City but he can definitely do a decent-ish job more often than not imo and at the very least he is experienced (and can even offer decent pass going forward)

Interesting to see Jose's comments about being brave - must mean Smalling & Jones are not far off. I reckon Jones would probably play if he had a cast on his leg, so the comment was possibly more directed towards Smalling.

Is Darmian an option at CB now that we have Shaw back?

I agreed entirely with your assessment of Blind here. I am a huge fan of Blind usually but I really though he looked off the pace last night and I though he was at fault for their goal. He seemed to get himself in a tangle.

I still don't understand why Blind isn't considered to play as DM. His range of passing and vision are completely underrated IMO. He could play the way Carrick plays if given the change. Did he not win Dutch POTY when playing as DM? (I know Dutch league isn't as good as PL but at the end of the day he was considered the best player in the entire league so it means something)

I think Smalling is out of his brace so I'm sure he's near ready too. José seems like he's getting a bit fed up with himself and Jones.

I was under the impression that Darmian could play any position at the back. but preferable would be RB or LB. In José's pre-match interview yesterday he was praising Darmian for his defensive duties but said he played Shaw over him as Shaw was more offensive minded. I wonder would be play Ashley Young or Carrick at CB if he's really stuck?

I wonder would be play Ashley Young or Carrick at CB if he's really stuck?
    Young at centre back?

I can't see any justification for that.

Blind, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Carrick and Fellaini would be players I would be looking at for centre back before I considered young. Even Poole or a number of other players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

WTF did I just watch? I mean, just draw the teams ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

v3ttel wrote: »
    WTF did I just watch? I mean, just draw the teams ffs.

What channels it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will be interesting to see how United adapt to missing Rojo and Ibrahimovic.

Blind would be next up in defence - and from an offensive point of view I think it could be a boon to United. Blind is one of out better players and picking and playing forward passes. Defensively I am not a huge fan - slow and relatively weak - but he is good organisationally and postionally.

He delivers a good corner too, something we seem to have been poor at for a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Young at centre back?

I can't see any justification for that.

Blind, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Carrick and Fellaini would be players I would be looking at for centre back before I considered young. Even Poole or a number of other players!

I know in a logical world he wouldn't play there but I could've swore José played him there at some stage this season? Maybe it was LB..or maybe I imagined it. I think he should give Tuanzebe. He won the Utd young player of the year a couple of years ago IIRC so I though there were high hopes for him.

Jayop wrote: »
    What channels it in?

Bt sports 2

Did lvg setup this draw programme..... just get on with it

• Advertisement

Manchester United play Celta Vigo.

Did lvg setup this draw programme..... just get on with it

I'm watching it in work muted so it's more painful!! Why can't they just do the draw it's not rocket science, no need to make a show of it :eek: :mad:

Edie: Nice avoided Lyon for now :D

Away in the first leg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Celta Vigo it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Celta Vigo!!!

Best possible draw for us, home game Int e return leg for us!

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement