Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hococop wrote: »
    Another clean sheet for Romero,

If De Gea does leave in the summer, I really don't think we need to buy a keeper. I think Romero has a earned a shot at being No.1, if it comes to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Playing with wingers is outdated, full backs are the new wingers and CMs usually drift wide to help them.

What,there will also be a place for wingers/wide forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

J. Marston wrote: »
    If De Gea does leave in the summer, I really don't think we need to buy a keeper. I think Romero has a earned a shot at being No.1, if it comes to it.

I've been banging that drum for a while. His games to clean sheets records is superb and he's so composed.

• J. Marston wrote: »

I think we should, but it should be to replace Romero as sub keeper.
    And yes let him have his chance as number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

yabadabado wrote: »
    What,there will also be a place for wingers/wide forwards.

Wide forwards? Yes. Now teams don't play with out and out wingers, even if they are, they are played as inverted wingers to cut in. So most of the time it's the full back who offers width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Liverpool and City must be seriously concerned about having to secure third now. Shame we can't really benefit from that added pressure.

What are the chances of champions league and relegation playoff games once the season ends?

Why? No English team can win champions league so 5 teams can get in.

Fingers crossed will be looked at transport to Stockholm this time next week.Many here get/look for tickets ?
    No handy way over and that's before the rush if United make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So guys if United win the champions league what does that mean for the top four????

:)

Mata cuptied?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Tickets look at the cheapest 600, so it won't be cheap trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

kona wrote: »
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Liverpool and City must be seriously concerned about having to secure third now. Shame we can't really benefit from that added pressure.

What are the chances of champions league and relegation playoff games once the season ends?

Why? No English team can win champions league so 5 teams can get in.
    Sorry, our winning of the EL has no bearing on qualification for the top 4. I got a tad confused.

A playoff might still be needed to decide automatic qualification regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Nice by Rashford, not going to be intimidated :D

https://twitter.com/PeoplesPerson_/status/860235670610210817

Love that :D Unbelievable how much this 19 year old is having an impact on our season. Seems so grounded and mature as well. Hon the Rash!!!

JamboMac wrote: »
    Tickets look at the cheapest 600, so it won't be cheap trip.

I got them in the ballot so sorted that way.They will be crazy money If it's United v Ajax final.

Love that :D Unbelievable how much this 19 year old is having an impact on our season. Seems so grounded and mature as well. Hon the Rash!!!

He's just under a 1 in 3 striker already after 66 games and that includes a few late sub on's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I got them in the ballot so sorted that way.They will be crazy money If it's United v Ajax final.

Only about 75 currently available, last day of college for me so wouldn't be going if i wanted too.

United fan's will snap them up in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Odds of qualifying for the champions league now through league and europa

EL @1.57
    T4 @6.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fingers crossed will be looked at transport to Stockholm this time next week.Many here get/look for tickets ?
    No handy way over and that's before the rush if United make it.

Would probably be cheaper fly to Copenhagen and get the train to Stockholm. Think the train is 4.5 hours and Ryanair fly to copenhagen.

astradave wrote: »
    Would probably be cheaper fly to Copenhagen and get the train to Stockholm. Think the train is 4.5 hours and Ryanair fly to copenhagen.

Yup that's an option I have looked at.Flights are decent prices on 23rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Be an interesting team at the weekend. Martial/Mata need games. Give Rooney a run. Carrick maybe. De Gea obv. Most of the defense should be rested.

What's back 4 likely to be,will Blind start at wkd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

was nervous as hell re degea exiting at some stage but tbh romero is class... put the 60 or 70 mill from degea into other areas of the team to strengthen and let romero run the show....

pogba was immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3FF4FB2A00000578-0-image-m-31_1493941664393.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Freaky Friday there with Rashford and Valencia.

Press conference for the Arsenal game is up already...

Seems to be up before the embargo lapsed, so in case the above link becomes dead...

Jose on resting players: "I'm not going to Arsenal to say beat us, beat us 5 or 6 nil...I'm going to fight for a result...In our last match against Swansea, I think we lost our last chance to fight for Top 4, so, I'm going to rest players, yep."

On Arsene saying that he was prepared to make peace with Jose: "He doesn't need to, because there are no problems. In the last match at Old Trafford, we shook hands before, after. I remember that I met him in the corridor for the press conferences, we shook hands then also. There are no problems...I have been in football all my life, I know a problem on the pitch, the next day is not a problem anymore."

On using DDG for the the league and Romero for Europa: "I don't like to say this competition is for one goalkeeper and this competition is for another goalkeeper. (Lists some examples of them playing in different competitions)...I don't like that complete separation...So, Sunday plays David, we have two fantastic goalkeepers, we also have a third goalkeeper who I think will be the the best Portuguese goalkeeper of the next generation. We have great goalkeepers and anyone in goal I trust completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

zerks wrote: »

Guess we know whose DVDs Rashford has been studying for free kicks.

https://twitter.com/MufcDevilUpdate/status/860242954778226689

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

All about that dummy from Blind beforehand from me. He sells it well and their keeper Alvarez takes a step to his left, ultimately meaning he cant get a hand to it. Excellent set piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Decent result but given how poor Vigo were we should have finished the job last night

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The thoughts of watching Rooney stumble around the field on Sunday is actually filling me with rage.
    With Jones and Smalling needing games, I'd have Blind in as DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Blind was excellent again last night. He doesn't get the credit he deserves but whenever he have needed him, he has stepped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Valencia and Fellaini are two of my favourite utd players atm. Great attitude, but probably b ING defensive about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lovely goal from Rashford. Shown at times this season he has good technique on free kicks. Would have been nice to see Zlatan share more :D

With Pogba, Mata, Rashford and Blind we have some good set piece takers.

Obviously should have buried this tie, but they really looked poor and should be no issues winning comfortably at home imo. Thought Blind was exceptional again. Just such a reliable player. Probably squad place is his role now, but he is such a good, reliable cover. Hope we can hang onto him.

Ajax final sounds tasty

Fair shouts on Blind. He had one moment he was one on one in the second half for a long ball that he took down and in the same touch got himself passed the attacker and was on his way with the ball. It was cool play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

i don't understand why Jose made them more defensive in the last 10 or so minutes. They were on the ropes, we were clearly superior and they had little to trouble us.

And even if we did concede, it really wouldn't change much. The away goal should be licence to attack more but instead Jose, and most teams, use it to drop off and defend.

0-1 or 1-1, not much difference in terms of the second leg. If they score at OT, we need to score anyway. Its not free, but it is much less risk that in say a league game, and the reward, putting the tie to bed, is well worth it.

If we were 0-3 up, then we could afford to play full team against Arsenal and rest players at OT, thereby keeping us in the hun on both fronts.

Jayop wrote: »
    Fair shouts on Blind. He had one moment he was one on one in the second half for a long ball that he took down and in the same touch got himself passed the attacker and was on his way with the ball. It was cool play.

Tends to thread some serious balls forward from defence. Definitely our best ball playing CB.

Kinda wish he was maybe a few inches taller and a few yards faster, probably be our first choice CB and we'd be freaking out about him.

Far superior to John Stones anyway, English people jipping their load over him being able to hit a pass from defence. Atleast Blind can defend :D

Trying the think, would this be our 7th European final if we make it? Can't think of any others than the 5 European cups and the cup winners cup. We've a pretty good record in finals if so winning 4 and losing 2 against an excellent Barca side.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Tends to thread some serious balls forward from defence. Definitely our best ball playing CB.

Kinda wish he was maybe a few inches taller and a few yards faster, probably be our first choice CB and we'd be freaking out about him.

Far superior to John Stones anyway, English people jipping their load over him being able to hit a pass from defence. Atleast Blind can defend :D

You know I wouldn't be obsessed with the pace thing but I would like a few more inches (wouldn't we all ;)). It's almost a cliché at this stage but the man does read the game really well and when he's had a run of a few games he cuts out the positional errors which sees him tend to play people on side the odd time.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    i don't understand why Jose made them more defensive in the last 10 or so minutes. They were on the ropes, we were clearly superior and they had little to trouble us.

And even if we did concede, it really wouldn't change much. The away goal should be licence to attack more but instead Jose, and most teams, use it to drop off and defend.

0-1 or 1-1, not much difference in terms of the second leg. If they score at OT, we need to score anyway. Its not free, but it is much less risk that in say a league game, and the reward, putting the tie to bed, is well worth it.

If we were 0-3 up, then we could afford to play full team against Arsenal and rest players at OT, thereby keeping us in the hun on both fronts.

Probably becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. He is banging on about fatigue for months. Probably feels in scenarios like last night we might get roasted on the counter, so prefers to shut up shop.

Personally I hate that mentality and tactic as it invites pressure and I don't think it takes less stamina and MORE concentration to close out the game, but I get the logic and the thought process behind it

Jones plays CB and is 5'11". Hardly a giant.Positioning and reading of the game can negate the need to be a giant,Blind is very good at this.Seeing him destroy Lukaku was a joy to behold,people feared he'd be bullied out of the game but he had Lukaku in his pocket and all from his reading of the game. No need for this "English Braveheart" last ditch diving in which might look great but is an absolute last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jones plays CB and is 5'11".

6' on his tiptoes.

Maybe thats why his is taking so long to heal...

• Part of me is still seriously pissed off about our chance conversion
    Managed to put the remote back together :/

• Advertisement

• Valencia and Fellaini are two of my favourite utd players atm. Great attitude, but probably b ING defensive about them

Slightly clumsy last night though.
    For a moment it looked like he was getting another red.

On Fellaini, I didn't think he played well last night. As M!ck^ said, he was clumsy. But to me he tends to be just that yard off where he needs to be.

He certainly puts in the effort, but he seems to read the game poorly and therefore constantly needs to put in the effort to make up for being out of position (just slightly, but enough).

The likes him Fellaini, Lingard, Young etc are, IMO, the core problem with Utd. Nothing wrong with them, they certainly put in the shift, but they lack that bit of quality you need to change a game. Grand for squad rotation, back ups etc, but should only be used when the other options are injured/suspended.

In saying all that, at the present time I don't think that we have anyone better. At that is the problem

0-1 and 1-1 is a big difference. Now we can qualify with 1-1, even if Celta score we don't have to panic. If the game ended 1-1 then one more 1-1 at OT means extra time and also if Celta score first then there is a very good chance we will panic.

We should have finished the game with the chances created but I don't think it was a mistake to defend in the last few mins as Celta didn't know how to play against deeper defense.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Slightly clumsy last night though.
    For a moment it looked like he was getting another red.

His yellow was a farce. He didn't do anything wrong.

Jones plays CB and is 5'11". Hardly a giant.Positioning and reading of the game can negate the need to be a giant,Blind is very good at this.Seeing him destroy Lukaku was a joy to behold,people feared he'd be bullied out of the game but he had Lukaku in his pocket and all from his reading of the game. No need for this "English Braveheart" last ditch diving in which might look great but is an absolute last resort.

That's interesting. Jones definitly looks 6ft+ on the telly :D

Don't get me wrong, big fan of Blind. Incredibly intelligent player. Has shown ability that he can deal with various types of threat.

Looks to be a great combination CB alongside any of our other CB's.

On Fellaini, waiting for the gif to emerge of that chest takedown from Blind and backheel to Valencia :D (or am I mixing tow passages of play together?)

Just remember watching it cheering haha

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    0-1 and 1-1 is a big difference. Now we can qualify with 1-1, even if Celta score we don't have to panic. If the game ended 1-1 then one more 1-1 at OT means extra time and also if Celta score first then there is a very good chance we will panic.

We should have finished the game with the chances created but I don't think it was a mistake to defend in the last few mins as Celta didn't know how to play against deeper defense.

I don't see the big difference. A difference yes, but no that big. We cannot let them score next week. Simple as. If they score all bets are off. 1-0 actually makes us more nervous as we will try to defend rather than go out to kill them off. If the risk of losing a goal in the last 10 minutes last night, imagine the risk of losing one at home.

As I said, it is not risk free, but unlike a league game, if we lost a goal the tie would still be in our favour. The reward is to kill the whole tie off, when it is clear that last night we are the superior team.

We have no idea what position we will be in next week. Injuries etc could change everything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't see the big difference. A difference yes, but no that big. We cannot let them score next week. Simple as. If they score all bets are off. 1-0 actually makes us more nervous as we will try to defend rather than go out to kill them off. If the risk of losing a goal in the last 10 minutes last night, imagine the risk of losing one at home.

As I said, it is not risk free, but unlike a league game, if we lost a goal the tie would still be in our favour. The reward is to kill the whole tie off, when it is clear that last night we are the superior team.

We have no idea what position we will be in next week. Injuries etc could change everything.

There's a huge difference. They have to win, Utd don't. At 1-1 a high scoring draw would do them. And all them scoring next week does is level the scores. If Utd can't get at least a draw off that Celta side they don't deserve to go through.

Hoping with the likely rotation coming up, we get to see Martial start up front in these upcoming premier league games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jayop wrote: »
    Trying the think, would this be our 7th European final if we make it? Can't think of any others than the 5 European cups and the cup winners cup. We've a pretty good record in finals if so winning 4 and losing 2 against an excellent Barca side.

Yes 7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement