Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hands up who uses MK-HIT-A-RYAN still when spelling his name? Its bloody genius cant remember which one of ye cool dudes came up with it.

Every single time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cmon the hammers hopefully spurs have their end of season meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Title race could be over this weekend. Been enjoyable seeing Chelsea and Spurs battle it out up there. Hopefully its us next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Cmon the hammers hopefully spurs have their end of season meltdown

Why? It won't benefit us in the slightest as Spurs are playing their last ever game at White Hart Lane against us so they will be out to beat us like never before. Remember West Hams heroics last year.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why? It won't benefit us in the slightest as Spurs are playing their last ever game at White Hart Lane against us so they will be out to beat us like never before. Remember West Hams heroics last year.

You never know loose a game or two in a row and out of the race the players might be just wanting the season over of course they might be up for it but they would be even more up for it if they are still in title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Title race could be over this weekend. Been enjoyable seeing Chelsea and Spurs battle it out up there. Hopefully its us next season

Need to challenging right to the end next season, nothing short of that will suffice.

Spurs being ahead of us is a travesty.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You never know loose a game or two in a row and out of the race the players might be just wanting the season over of course they might be up for it but they would be even more up for it if they are still in title race.
    Agree

Id rather be playing them when it's only for pride/WHL than a title at stake.
    They lost both their games last season when Leicester were crowned champions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hands up who uses MK-HIT-A-RYAN still when spelling his name? Its bloody genius cant remember which one of ye cool dudes came up with it.

Was it Mikey?

actually could have been Stankratz or srek-utek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What does José do if City and Liverpool lose before we kick a ball against Arsenal? Even changing the team means the likes of Mata,Martial etc. come in.He won't want to lose to Arsenal.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    What does José do if City and Liverpool lose before we kick a ball against Arsenal? Even changing the team means the likes of Mata,Martial etc. come in.He won't want to lose to Arsenal.

I thought the same but to be fair tithe weakened team will probably be the freshest players from the first team squad so they will still probably be the best players to put out.

I really can't see him going with kids even tho he has eluded to it I'd say it will be resting about 7 of the team that started Thursday night and playing the bench.

zerks wrote: »
    What does Jos? do if City and Liverpool lose before we kick a ball against Arsenal? Even changing the team means the likes of Mata,Martial etc. come in.He won't want to lose to Arsenal.
    Hard call but I'd expect a lot of changes.Still lots of good players to come in.

A pity the tie wasn't done with last night would have made things a bit easier,should have gotten 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jayop wrote: »
    This is a close second...

Feck it it's Friday so I'll post it.

4hySgQo.gif?noredirect

This is brilliant. So much going on, the casual racism in top left. The gunning man top right and my favourite, the man popping up for a look in the centre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

paulbok wrote: »
    This is brilliant. So much going on, the casual racism in top left. The gunning man top right and my favourite, the man popping up for a look in the centre :pac:

Who would he have been mocking, can't think of any Asians with Chelsea at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The lad in the middle looks like a hybrid version of John Bishop and Jabba the Hutt.

Is it not yer man off The Chase?

Funny, back to back years of a London club killing spurs title hopes

• Advertisement

Spurs look devastated just keep that in your heads lads it's all over ;)

Tottenham Bottlerspur!

Is it not yer man off The Chase?

Yer man with the glasses looks as if somebody has just explained something to him that he'd never understood before. He gives that "ah I get it now" look.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Tottenham Bottlerspur!

I suppose they can get some comfort from the fact that they didn't bottle it in February like Arsenal do every season.:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spurs bottled nothing. They were the only team decent enough to even stay with Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Spurs bottled nothing. They were the only team decent enough to even stay with Chelsea.

Exactly this, least it kept the title race interesting instead of Chelsea just running away with it.

Is that DT off AFTV in the bottom left making another video?

I only wish we were as good as Spurs to "Bottle it". They are a proper good team. That New Stadium is gonna push them upto another level when the financial side of it starts to pay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jayop wrote: »
    This is a close second...

Feck it it's Friday so I'll post it.

4hySgQo.gif?noredirect

Am I the only one who spots it?

adox wrote: »
    Pogba was excellent last night, especially in the first half. faded a little in the second but was still an influence.

Thought Herrera was pretty anonymous for large parts of the game and was poor. I also thought Bailly was dodgy for large parts of the game. Valencai I thought was poor too.

Celta Vigo look very open at the back so should play right into Utds hands in the second leg.

I thought he had one of those 'good but not in a very obvious way' performances at what appeared to be DM. Not poor at all, just not 'on the ball' as often as he usually is in a more advanced role. Games like last night mightn't end up on his highlight reel, but he still played a disciplined, defensive game. One which is necessary, and it allowed Pogba a bit more freedom on the attack as well as giving security and confidence to our defense, who performed well.

I'm not saying that Herrera played the perfect DM game or anything near it, Celta did get chances to attack, I just disagree that he was poor.

Anything else can be put down to the sound f*cker not wanting to shine in the Spanish spotlight and attract too much attention from Barca or Real :pac:
    wong wrote:
    Blind was excellent again last night. He doesn't get the credit he deserves but whenever he have needed him, he has stepped up.

He was excellent. Unfortunately, I don't see that stopping the myriad of 'FFS Daley Blind isn't a United CB' type of comments which arise when he gets called up to CB after a spell of not playing there.

Long-term, United should be looking to build a first-choice partnership at CB between Eric Bailly and someone else, not Blind IMO. In the meantime though, he has been more than adequate deputising in the role. Sometimes very good, like last night, and the very odd time a liability, like Spurs 3-0 United, April 2016. First choice CBs get injured as we know, and we need a good utility player or two like Blind in the squad.

Looking at his appearances (starts) over the current season, from what I can see via sites like Squawka and Whoscored.com, he has 12 starts in all competitions in a CB pair.

7 of those have been in the league - 4 wins and 3 draws. 5 defensive clean sheets.

3 of those wins were in our first games of the season in a partnership with Bailly, conceding 1 goal in total (Bournemouth 1-3 United). In the meantime, Smalling was recovering from injury.

In the 4th league game of the season, Blind played on the left of a back 3 in that loss v City (left of a back 3, I haven't included that in his CB apps, but he was poor enough in that game) After that game, by then Smalling had regained fitness and his place at CB with Blind getting moved out to LB for any games he featured in.

The next Blind appeared in the league at CB was in a 0-0 at home v Burnley in late October, the match which directly followed the 4-0 loss at Chelsea where Smalling had a shocker at CB. However, that Burnley game was Blind's last league start at CB until April.

He returned to CB with Bailly in a recent away win against Burnley, 0-2, started in the 0-0 v City, and we all remember too well how the 1-1 with Swansea went last weekend.

As for his other 5 starts at CB...

Europa: 3 starts - 2 wins, 1 loss. 2 defensive clean sheets.

That 1 defeat came earlier in the group stages away to Fenerbahce (1-2) along with 1 of the wins which was at home to Feyenoord (4-0). That 3rd appearance in the Europa was a very strong performance against Celta last night.

EFL Cup: 2 starts - 2 wins. 1 defensive clean sheet.

Blind started in a 1-3 win away to Northampton earlier in the cup, and then in the 0-1 away to City which saw us go through to the QF of the competition.

From 12 starts in all comps this season, I have it at 8 wins, 1 loss and 3 draws with Blind at CB. In 8 of those games, United didn't concede a goal.

Going back a bit further...

Towards the end of last season, Blind was paired with Smalling at CB. I can straight away remember Blind having a shocker against Spurs in April's 3-0 defeat. He didn't coat himself in glory in the 3-2 loss away to West Ham either in the penultimate league game - 1 point from which would have been enough for us to snatch 4th place from City.

However, he was strong in wins away to City, at home against Arsenal and Everton, clean sheets and wins against the likes of Villa, Palace and Watford, a 1-1 to Leicester who were dropping f*ck-all points back then, more good than bad overall from him.

Again, I don't see him as a future CB on a permanent basis, but he has given himself a good account overall in the CB role. Good enough to stave off the panic and outbursts which ensue when he gets named in the line-up after not playing CB for a period. He was great against Celta last night, that will be forgotten soon by some though.

Daley Blind is a version of what John O'Shea was for us. That's a high compliment. We need that utility type of player in a successful United squad. I hope Blind is still with us next season.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I only wish we were as good as Spurs to "Bottle it". They are a proper good team. That New Stadium is gonna push them upto another level when the financial side of it starts to pay up.

Despite our league position, we have more silverware than them this season.
    Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed watching them play down through the years,a great team to watch.
    I do hope however that they have another off day next week against us.

Someone posted it on fb and i forgot about it

Bailly's diving header to clear the ball and a boot to the face was the end result

Vidic esque, love that commitment

Glad some use was gotten out of it, thanks Jayo. I came up with it and posted it here and in a couple of other places, dunno where I'd be without it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United will probably miss out on the top 4, and are the team with the least defeats this season.

Bizarre

stankratz wrote: »
    Glad some use was gotten out of it, thanks Jayo. I came up with it and posted it here and in a couple of other places, dunno where I'd be without it myself.

I did a search to see if could find who posted first

Screenshot_20170505-224338.jpg

You better make sure francie don't come after you for copyright infringement :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nalz wrote: »
    United will probably miss out on the top 4, and are the team with the least defeats this season.

Bizarre

Drew the most amount of games though so not that bizarre. Not a bad complaint to have though. Turn just a few of those draws into wins and United would be in the driving seat for top 4.

I did a search to see if could find who posted first

Screenshot_20170505-224338.jpg

You better make sure francie don't come after you for copyright infringement :):):)

Jaysis, fair play to Francie. In all honesty, it was only last Summer when I 'came up with it', and I never read that other post before you quoted it tonight. I will happily relinquish all fortune it has brought me from this point on. I got at least 2 'thank yous' on the F365 mailbox, not sure how to make restitution to Frankie for that massive windfall.

Edit - F*ck that, I'm doing myself a disservice here, my explanations for the syllables weren't in Frankie's post 4 years ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This popped up on the timeline there today...on this day 2009

Jesus you forget how good Rooney was at times. Massively involved in all 5 goals here. I remember this game being huge at the time but never remember thinking it was Rooney carrying us, which it looked to be that day. He did have a great spell as a left winger that season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Am I the only one who spots it?

Theres about 4/5 things to spot! The racism, the oul lad rising ominously from his seat, the other oul lad having a spasm, and someone's hand coming out of their pants?? I assume it's the guy laughing and smiling in the middle though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bizarre

Not that bizarre. They don't win enough games.

Hmm...

NgxOhpc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Theres about 4/5 things to spot! The racism, the oul lad rising ominously from his seat, the other oul lad having a spasm, and someone's hand coming out of their pants?? I assume it's the guy laughing and smiling in the middle though :pac:

Ya ita the 2 boys laughing behind lady and green jacket guy.

Seem be in wrong end ;)

stankratz wrote: »
    Hmm...

NgxOhpc.jpg

This is brand new information! :)

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Drew the most amount of games though so not that bizarre. Not a bad complaint to have though. Turn just a few of those draws into wins and United would be in the driving seat for top 4.

Well bizarre means unusual and this is not usual at all at all, therefore it's bizarre out the door, coat on, condoms in the wallet and shoes as shiny as Jaap Stams head.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This popped up on the timeline there today...on this day 2009

Jesus you forget how good Rooney was at times. Massively involved in all 5 goals here. I remember this game being huge at the time but never remember thinking it was Rooney carrying us, which it looked to be that day. He did have a great spell as a left winger that season

Was at that game. Right in front row down in the corner were Ronaldo (and Modric & Bent) celebrated. Great day. Tevez and Carrick were immense also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Bizarre

You could avoid defeat all season and still go down with 38 points.

Mourinho's approach would be unstoppable in the 2 points for a win era

LiamoSail wrote: »

That would be bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mikael Silvestre on Soccer AM now folks,always comes across as a sound skin

He is gone back doing a course in Sports Management and never knew he is Director of Football at Rennes

LiamoSail wrote: »

Mourinho's approach would be unstoppable in the 2 points for a win era

Tra LA LA LA la.... But ah wait, O I see what ur at never mind.

• Advertisement

Mikael Silvestre on Soccer AM now folks,always comes across as a sound skin

He is gone back doing a course in Sports Management and never knew he is Director of Football at Rennes

He is a good guy but I couldn't suffer that Helen Chamberlain she is a pure pain.

He is a good guy but I couldn't suffer that Helen Chamberlain she is a pure pain.

You would

Don't think this was posted,great to see Andy looking well again.

https://twitter.com/vancole9/status/860454797874520064

I'm kinda wishing this season to be over just so I can know where we finished in the league and if we won the Europa League or not.

But then I realise there's no football for a few months and that is depressing.

That show is one steaming pile of ****e now,mind it was never great but it's unwatchable now.

The ****ing state of Ray Winston there ,could no one emotion to him he looks like a idiot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement