Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nalz wrote: »
    You would

Out of disrespect ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lord TSC wrote: »

Has to go to zlatan

Saturday just freed right up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anyone care to take a stab at picking the team for tomorrow?

Be gas if there was "weakened" team put out and we nicked a win :D

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Has to go to zlatan

I assume consistency is key here;

I've been hard on Tony V but he's in with a shout
    As is Baily & Rojo
    Herrera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I assume consistency is key here;

I've been hard on Tony V but he's in with a shout
    As is Baily & Rojo
    Herrera

I reckon it will be between Zlatan and Herrera with Valencia and DeGea next

• Anyone care to take a stab at picking the team for tomorrow?

I actually think this is likely, Arsenal are under the biggest pressure IMO.

I'd go with this: (Still a strong team IMO)
    De Gea

Tony V Blind Smalling Darmian

Carrick
    Juan Mata Herrera

Lingard Rooney Martial

I expect the following rested: Rashford, Pogba, Miki Ryan, Baily, Romero

Any takers @ 5/1 :)

*Edit* Bookies closed early - Apologies (Fellani Epic Fail)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Enjoyed looking at the goals of the season. There's no clear cut winner but if I was to choose my favourite it would be either Mikhitaryan's backheel scorpian goal or Ibra's freekick in the EPL final.

De Gea

Carrick
    Fellani Herrera

Juan Mata Rooney Martial

Fellaini is banned :D

• Advertisement

De Gea

Carrick
    Fellani Herrera

Juan Mata Rooney Martial

Ha did fellaini get messi's lawyer to appeal the ban?

• astradave wrote: »
    Fellaini is banned :D

Awww Oops :o

I'd have Lingard in there for Mata so and maybe he drops back a-bit into an AM role
    I'l make a tweak :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Can't really remember if Mourinho ever played a weakened team in an important league game, Maybe it just "Slipped" my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Can't really remember if Mourinho ever played a weakened team in an important league game, Maybe it just "Slipped" my mind

5b26119f5cbd7ad1bacbf881224abde35762e2c7bac494b158c2d88c1db6c9bb.jpg

The usual squad news from outside the lowery two kids called up mitchell is well known about for a while he has had an excellent season and olosunde is ypung american kid signed last year from new york.

Thankfully rashford is also in the squad which means he must be ok I'd expect him to be rested ahead of Thursday.

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Matteo Darmian

Matthew Olosunde

Chris Smalling

Eric Bailly

Axel Tuanzebe

Phil Jones

Daley Blind

Demetri Mitchell

Michael Carrick

Scott McTominay

Matty Willock

Paul Pogba

Ander Herrera

Jesse Lingard

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Juan Mata

Marcus Rashford

Wayne Rooney

Anthony Martial

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

If De Gea does leave this summer, i'd be all over Jordan Pickford. He's unbelievable and deserves much better than the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Is there any real substance to all these de Gea leaving rumours? Seems to me Keylor Navas is doing quite well at Madrid and could quite possibly be part of a team that wins back to back Champions League titles for the first time. He's far too good to be a backup keeper, so with he prices rumoured for de Gea, is changing goalkeepers really one of the top priorities for Madrid this summer?

Just the usual stories from press but I don't think even marcca have been on it as much as two year ago.

Whatever happens it's going to cost them an arm and a leg if they want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If De Gea does leave this summer, i'd be all over Jordan Pickford. He's unbelievable and deserves much better than the Championship

I've been impressed by him. I said it a couple of times the last few weeks. Did you watch today's game? How did he get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hopefully there is nothing in the rumours and DDG is there for the long haul.

Will be plenty of transfer business done without losing one of the bedrock of the team.

Will be really interesting to see what happens in the summer especially if there is CL football.
    The 4 signings last summer all have been a success so more of the same needed.

Pickford looks good but he be a massive gamble for a big transfer fee if we were going to gamble with youth I'd prefer to go with Joel Perera as a backup to a more experienced keeper.

I'm not a fan of giving Romero number 1 jersey but if the management are happy enough with him to be number 1 then it would save alot of money going with our in-house keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm always very wary of hyping up players who have had one good season, especially goalkeepers who look good for struggling teams. It's no surprise that for many relegated/struggling teams their best player was their goalkeeper, there have been numerous examples and it doesn't necessarily mean they are good enough for the big teams.

Pickford might well be the next big thing, I don't really know, but I would be very cautious about choosing him to replace De Gea based on this season alone.

jayo26 wrote: »
    The usual squad news from outside the lowery two kids called up mitchell is well known about for a while he has had an excellent season and olosunde is ypung american kid signed last year from new york.

Thankfully rashford is also in the squad which means he must be ok I'd expect him to be rested ahead of Thursday.

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Matteo Darmian

Matthew Olosunde

Chris Smalling

Eric Bailly

Axel Tuanzebe

Phil Jones

Daley Blind

Demetri Mitchell

Michael Carrick

Scott McTominay

Matty Willock

Paul Pogba

Ander Herrera

Jesse Lingard

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Juan Mata

Marcus Rashford

Wayne Rooney

Anthony Martial

4-3-3

...........................DDG.......................

Olosunde...Smalling....Tuanzebe...Mitchell

..........Willock....Herrera....McTominay....

.........Lingard.....Rooney....Martial...........

-DDG because Jose said he'd play, and it would be insane otherwise (gotta give Romero a rest for Thursday!)

-A few good young prospects in there. Willock is a former gooner, point to prove to them and not just Jose?

-Tuanzebe, it is time, nuff said.

-Only about 2 out of that 11 would be required to play next Thursday.

-Complete fan fiction of course, but if a line-up like that got a point away to Arsenal, that would be the best draw of the 247 we've had this season.

Realistically, I expect that Jose won't allow himself to field too weak of a team in such a big fixture. No matter who plays, it's going to be a tough game. Arsenal have had some disaster of a second half to the season, but most of the time (I'd 8-2 say all of the time) they find their game against us.

I'd expect Smalling and Jones to play and Mata also maybe two kids at most and no one could blame him for that.

I hope he plays Tuanzebe,he has been around the squad a long while without a look in.
    He would be in a back 4 beside Malling Darmian and Blind so plenty of experience to help him out.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I hope he plays Tuanzebe,he has been around the squad a long while without a look in.
    He would be in a back 4 beside Malling Darmian and Blind so plenty of experience to help him out.

I'd love to see him been given a chance too but for the game thats in it I can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jose should play all the young lads. It'd be gas if we didn't get beaten, and Jose has a good excuse if Wenger finally manages to get a win against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I'm always very wary of hyping up players who have had one good season, especially goalkeepers who look good for struggling teams. It's no surprise that for many relegated/struggling teams their best player was their goalkeeper, there have been numerous examples and it doesn't necessarily mean they are good enough for the big teams.

Pickford might well be the next big thing, I don't really know, but I would be very cautious about choosing him to replace De Gea based on this season alone.

Yeah wasn't miginolet talked about as a good goalkeeper for a top side when he was at Sunderland. Turned out a top top top goalkeeper...

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jose should play all the young lads. It'd be gas if we didn't get beaten, and Jose has a good excuse if Wenger finally manages to get a win against him.

Imagine if he did and pool went on and lost their two next games afterwards the backlash from press would be unreal.

No matter what I think there is more pressure on arsenal to win it tomorrow.

Pickford would apparently cost round £20m, would be English and would probably be happy being back up to Romero while he developed. Might be worth the punt if we want to invest more money elsewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pickford would apparently cost round £20m, would be English and would probably be happy being back up to Romero while he developed. Might be worth the punt if we want to invest more money elsewhere...

Rumours that a £17 million deal has been agreed for him to join Everton, a steal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

If we get to the Europa final which keeper will he play?
    Personally think he should go with his best 11 and that means De Gea should start

Robson99 wrote: »
    If we get to the Europa final which keeper will he play?
    Personally think he should go with his best 11 and that means De Gea should start

Romero all the way. Has been a beast.

Good news guys and gLs. Can't finish below sixth now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Romero's been the go to goalkeeper for the Europa League.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Romero all the way. Has been a beast.

Good news guys and gLs. Can't finish below sixth now :P

So we dont put our best team out for what would be our biggest game in 2 seasons? [ assuming we get to the final]

Robson99 wrote: »
    So we dont put our best team out for what would be our biggest game in 2 seasons? [ assuming we get to the final]

Romero has worked hard to contribute to getting to the final. He deserves the spot.

Also worth noting there's not going to be a massive weakening of the team by playing Romero. He's had a great tournament and will be a solid choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

It would be real harsh to see Romero dropped for the final because he really has contributed a lot along the way.

Really hope the stories about De Gea leaving are just paper talk as he's irreplaceable. Our defence has improved a lot under Jose but defences tend to thrive more when they know they've a top stopper behind them.

mewe wrote: »
    It would be real harsh to see Romero dropped for the final because he really has contributed a lot along the way.

Really hope the stories about De Gea leaving are just paper talk as he's irreplaceable. Our defence has improved a lot under Jose but defences tend to thrive more when they know they've a top stopper behind them.

I agree but the defence has also thrived with Romero behind them so they must have a hell of a lot of faith in him too. Usually when the No.2 keeper comes into any team the defence seems nervous enough, I haven't seen that at all when Romero plays

The only concern I would have about Romero been number 1 if de gea goes is it's a he'll of a lot different been number one for a big club then it is coming in for Europa games and when we gea is out.

I know he is Argentine number one but they don't have a crop of keepers to pick from he has floated around the European club scene for over 10 year and hasn't ever stood out majorly so I don't see it as simply he comes straight in for de dea and everything is grand.

Torino's president:

‘I have an agreement with Belotti,’ he told Italian radio station Rai Radio Due. ‘Yes there is a clause in his contract.

‘If a non-Italian team presents an £85m offer for him then I will be obliged to sell him.

‘Even so, he has to approve the deal too… so it is all on Belotti.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/06/andrea-belotti-to-manchester-united-could-go-through-due-to-torino-agreement-6620225/#ixzz4gKejtaZe

• Advertisement

Even Zlatan's knees are superhuman:
    Doctors Dr Fu and Dr. Musahl are marveled by Zlatan according to Raiola. "His knees are so strong that doctors said they had never seen anything like it"

"He has a knee that's almost impossible for a football player with a 20 year long career to have. It was perfectly clean, there were no damage to it."

"Zlatan's knee is so strong that the doctor want him to return after his career to do research on him. They work at the world's best research institute for knees and ligaments. They research a lot about the subject and that is why they are better than everyone else. So after Zlatan's career we will go back and open him again to research his ligament."

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/premier-league/zlatans-kna-kan-bli-forskningsprojekt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »

So Trumpish.

Zoltan has great knees, the best knees,loads of people have said it.

"Please give Mr.Superknees a contract"

So Trumpish.

Zoltan has great knees, the best knees,loads of people have said it.

20170506_214858.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

astradave wrote: »
    I agree but the defence has also thrived with Romero behind them so they must have a hell of a lot of faith in him too. Usually when the No.2 keeper comes into any team the defence seems nervous enough, I haven't seen that at all when Romero plays

I agree with you Dave, I've been very impressed with Romero. He is a wee bit eccentric aswell though and hasn't really been tested over a sustained period so I would have a doubt there whether he could handle the pressure of being number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Romero has shown he is a great backup, he did show himself to be a back up when he had that run in the first team though rather then first choice quality for United.

He may be more comfortable now, and may do the job just fine. I think it would be a mistake to go with him as the number 1 in the case of De Gea going though as I feel he would end up costing more points over a season then saving. He is a great back up, and if he is happy with that role I hope he stays for another few years while SJ/JP are developing but I don't think he is of the required calibre to be the number 1 long term.

Based of his career to this point, and based on what I saw when he was played instead of De Gea under Van Gaal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Torino's president:

?I have an agreement with Belotti,? he told Italian radio station Rai Radio Due. ?Yes there is a clause in his contract.

?If a non-Italian team presents an ?85m offer for him then I will be obliged to sell him.

?Even so, he has to approve the deal too? so it is all on Belotti.?

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/06/andrea-belotti-to-manchester-united-could-go-through-due-to-torino-agreement-6620225/#ixzz4gKejtaZe

How did he do tonight in Turin Derby,I couldn't watch it?

It's huge cash for him and I'd doubt they will get it from any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Torino's president:

‘I have an agreement with Belotti,’ he told Italian radio station Rai Radio Due. ‘Yes there is a clause in his contract.

‘If a non-Italian team presents an £85m offer for him then I will be obliged to sell him.

‘Even so, he has to approve the deal too… so it is all on Belotti.’

I'd rather they spent that kinda money on Dybala :D

I'd rather they spent that kinda money on Dybala :D

Ha everyone would but dybala won't be moving anywhere for that money.

• Advertisement

Just looking £85 million is third biggest transfer fee ever.Now I know people laughed when the Pogba fee was announced but this is just crazy,no one is going to pay that.
    Another case of a chairman spouting **** to save face if a deal is done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement