Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

yabadabado wrote: »
    Just looking £85 million is third biggest transfer fee ever.Now I know people laughed when the Pogba fee was announced but this is just crazy,no one is going to pay that.
    Another case of a chairman spouting **** to save face if a deal is done?

Reckon pogba will be way off the record transfer fee in another year or two. He will probably be beaten this summer by Madrid or ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jayo26 wrote: »
    Reckon pogba will be way off the record transfer fee in another year or two. He will probably be beaten this summer by Madrid or ourselves.

I don't know maybe Griezmann or Mbappe will be close this summer to breaking it but can't see anyone else.

I don't know maybe Griezmann or Mbappe will be close this summer to breaking it but can't see anyone else.

They are the two I mean. If griezman moves it will be for 85 or so and mbappe could crazily be the same.

I don't think belotti will be anywhere near that if anyone signs him Noway Torino can turn down 40 or 50 million for him if only one club are in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Guardiola wants a lot of players and some of them may be a big name, it would be funny if he managed to convince one of barca's front 3 to join him and all of those would be 100+ million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

zerks wrote: »

No question he would pick them over us if it came down to it.

I'm not too bothered either way tbh.

Jose will have his shopping list and I have no doubt whatsoever that the work has already begun behind the scenes for his main targets.

I expect most / all of our dealings to be done by mid July with no saga nonsense.

If a player wants to join us they will join us, regardless of the cost.

If there is dithering then they won't and we won't waste time courting them.

Its as it should be, no point faffing around trying to convince people to sign, they either want to or they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd rather we took a bit of a break from getting involved in the transfer inflation race to bust.

There is no need, why bother having a scouting department if you are only able to identify a player after every media outlet and everyday fan on the street is generally aware of their strengths/weaknesses (I am aware there are exceptions but you get the point)

Its all a game, perpetrated by agents, chairmen and other vested interests. It is not mandatory to play the game however.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah I kinda agree I'd much rather a Bailly type signing than constantly chasing huge names .

It's great when you sign a household name but how often does it actually happen ?

I like the idea of buying younger players who can be developed into world class players,develop them and hopefully get the best 7 or 8 years from them.I always think that is the best base for longterm success. Build a proper team rather than buying whoever is the biggest name willing to join.

I'm probably in the minority though .

Jose has always signed surprise players I've no doubt they will be one or two lesser known but also a well known too.

With the problems we have had this year with finishing it's going to be hard to sign a bit of a gamble forward we need at least one proven finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Mbappe to reject man utd because he dont like how mourinho' team plays , ?55m bid for aguero not goona happen , almost certain to lose De Gea to Madrid , Hes not goona be replaced buffon , Neuer , De Gea are the only top 3 keepers in the world at the moment

• Advertisement

If we manage to strengthen in other area's we may not miss de gea as much.
    Get Randolph in, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JamboMac wrote: »
    If we manage to strengthen in other area's we may not miss de gea as much.
    Get Randolph in, why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We've got Rashford, why would we need Mbappe? Plus, even if we did get him and he played well, he'd be out the door quicker than you could say "The future? Only God knows..."

Ronaldomaniac-Mbappe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Jose has always signed surprise players I've no doubt they will be one or two lesser known but also a well known too.

With the problems we have had this year with finishing it's going to be hard to sign a bit of a gamble forward we need at least one proven finisher.

Yeah, I would agree with this. We need an experienced forward with a proven record to fill the gap left by Zlatan (:() and Rooney (in the past). The other areas I would be happy to see "unusual" / surprise signings - Bailly has worked out great thus far, and Martial was a superb find at the time (just a pity this season hasn't worked out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Randolph is obviously sarcasm but I'm torn on Pickford. Some matches hes been suprisingly great in. Others hes been quite poor (which could just be an experience thing).

Yeah, I would agree with this. We need an experienced forward with a proven record to fill the gap left by Zlatan (:() and Rooney (in the past). The other areas I would be happy to see "unusual" / surprise signings - Bailly has worked out great thus far, and Martial was a superb find at the time (just a pity this season hasn't worked out).

Maybe one of the young anderlecht midfielders? Dendonker has really stuck in my head more then tielmans who I have known about for a couple years.

Some of our greatest players were surprise signings like vidic and evra Bailly looks to be in the same mould but it will take another season or so to know for sure.

Maybe one of the young anderlecht midfielders? Dendonker has really stuck in my head more then tielmans who I have known about for a couple years.

I actually thought Spajic looked good in defence when we played them - have only seen the two matches though. I guess I have a thing for serbian defenders :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I would go along with some of the lads above. I wouldn't like us to become a club buying galacticos all the time. There is very good hungry players out there who can be bought relativlely cheap in today's market who can be developed into class players. Jesus for Man City looks like he's going to be a great player. Not too expensive, theres plenty out there like that player who won't break the bank. I think we'll be surprised with a few signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Romero has worked hard to contribute to getting to the final. He deserves the spot.

Agree with you. I can see him playing Romero in the final (assuming we get there). One of the lads is a Chelsea fan and claims that Mourihno did something similar way back when; played Courtois until the league cup final and threw Cech in for the final against Tottenham.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What one change would improve United today?

I thinks its a finisher.

Imagine Griezmann on the chances that Lingard keeps getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Notorious wrote: »
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Romero has worked hard to contribute to getting to the final. He deserves the spot.

Agree with you. I can see him playing Romero in the final (assuming we get there). One of the lads is a Chelsea fan and claims that Mourihno did something similar way back when; played Courtois until the league cup final and threw Cech in for the final against Tottenham.

I think the fact that Romero has played until now, even after Jose openly admitted the EL is the priority, suggests to me that De Gea will go in the summer.

DM_7 wrote: »
    What one change would improve United today?

I thinks its a finisher.

Imagine Griezmann on the chances that Lingard keeps getting.

Without doubt even if we had zlatan going into the final 5 or six games of the season I'd be so much more confident.

We need someone that can be in the right place at the right time so get a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Mbappe to reject man utd because he dont like how mourinho' team plays , ?55m bid for aguero not goona happen , almost certain to lose De Gea to Madrid , Hes not goona be replaced buffon , Neuer , De Gea are the only top 3 keepers in the world at the moment

Well you're just a bundle of joy aren't you.

• Actually rather relaxed about the game. I've a good feeling about today.

Would be great for AFTV if we win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah I kinda agree I'd much rather a Bailly type signing than constantly chasing huge names .

It's great when you sign a household name but how often does it actually happen ?

I like the idea of buying younger players who can be developed into world class players,develop them and hopefully get the best 7 or 8 years from them.I always think that is the best base for longterm success. Build a proper team rather than buying whoever is the biggest name willing to join.

I'm probably in the minority though .

United need instant success though, cant wait for long-term success and end up like Arsenal. This will be the 4th season in a row where United are not competing for the title in April/May and instead are struggling for 4th.

I'd pay the money for Griezmann, or other top shelf players because they are what United needs to deliver a title quickly. As seen with Martial, the development of a young player is not a clear, always improving line to bigger and better things. Sometimes players will stall or even regress and United cannot afford that.

Once the United is back competing for titles on a regular basis, then the club can run risks by looking for young unproven players who might be developed. In the meantime, United are going to have pay over the odds to improve the first team for next season.
    zerks wrote: »
    Torino's president:

‘I have an agreement with Belotti,’ he told Italian radio station Rai Radio Due. ‘Yes there is a clause in his contract.

‘If a non-Italian team presents an £85m offer for him then I will be obliged to sell him.

‘Even so, he has to approve the deal too… so it is all on Belotti.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/06/andrea-belotti-to-manchester-united-could-go-through-due-to-torino-agreement-6620225/#ixzz4gKejtaZe

I find it hard to believe any contract with an Italian team would include a reference to a non-Euro fee, as it would expose the team to FX risk. £85 million is worth a lot less euro than £85 million a year ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Once the United is back competing for titles on a regular basis, then the club can run risks by looking for young unproven players who might be developed. In the meantime, United are going to have pay over the odds to improve the first team for next season.

100x this.

Focusing on "youth" is something you do when you're...
    A. Have a successful first team and are working to keep that success long term by buying ahead of time.
    B. not in a position to buy top level players so have no choice but to bring along youth and hope to develop them into league winners before other teams pick you dry (and, with the exception of Spurs in recent years, is a mindset held by smaller clubs).

The focus should be on bringing in 24-28 year olds capable of preforming NOW, not with potential to preform in a few years. This obsession with making the average age of the team as low as possible is so frustrating, and (imo) is part of why our team is in the position it is right now.....

I'm just wondering, what the f*ck do most of you be doing up at this time on a Sunday morning? Sure no wonder the place bes cranky.

• stankratz wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, what the f*ck do most of you be doing up at this time on a Sunday morning? Sure no wonder the place bes cranky.

Sunny out, fun time to post on boards while sitting on the patio :)

While everyone wants to win the league the fact is it's alot different now then it was five or six year ago, in Europe Barca or Madrid are going to win because they are so far in front, Germany and Italy and France are the same.

United are never going to be that far in front anymore while we have the money so do other clubs now also can compete City, Chelsea, arsenal, spurs, Liverpool. They might not all compete at the very top but they can compete enough to put a team together that's capable if going on a run to win the league.

The future for English football is to keep wining trophies and pick up league titles every few years that's the best any club will do, no club has retained the league title since we won 3 in a row 8 years ago.

What we do need to do is to challenge next season we have to be in with a chance of winning it at least going into the final week or two of the season and do the utmost best to win it.

I don't see lowering objectives the objective should always be to won the league but it's not going to happen every year but we need to be back challenging for league and champions league at least.

I Will say it will always be a failure not to qualify for champions league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-team-news-arsenal-12996214

Lots of new faces in the squad. Would love if Jose started one or two of them. Reminds me of Rashford's PL debut last year vs Arsenal where he scored twice. Good times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

stankratz wrote: »

Mr brother is a teacher so is up early most mornings. Tend to just carry that habit forward into the weekend, and it gives me the chance to get work done this morning before the football :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sunny out, fun time to post on boards while sitting on the patio :)

Hopefully we be all mowing the grass before arsenal v United game kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Reminds me of Rashford's PL debut last year vs Arsenal where he scored twice. Good times

Crazy to think that was just last year, testament to Rashford that he has kicked on since then, put his head down and has worked hard to become a regular starter.

And for the day that's in it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-team-news-arsenal-12996214

Lots of new faces in the squad. Would love if Jose started one or two of them. Reminds me of Rashford's PL debut last year vs Arsenal where he scored twice. Good times

Olosunde has no hope of game time. Wouldn't suprise me to see Mitchell get some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am so much more confident with Jose & transfers. He will be well advised & won't let Ed get carried away on chasing dreams. I still wouldn't be surprised by a big signing.

If any player says that wouldn't choose us because of the way we play then they don't have the intelligence to bother with.

O the bot is back :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Get a round of golf in and come home and chillax to watch the match

Just looking at that Arsenal video from last year I had completely forgotten about Varela! Seems he has only got 3 games at Frankfurt - has anyone heard how he is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/861208204088414208

Excited to finally see him in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Romeu has been great for Southampton today, and in most games I've seen him play. He'd be an interesting option to have in front of the back 4.

Also, anyone notice Klopp throwing a water bottle infrustration today? Isn't that an offence according to the FA?

Quandary wrote: »
    Romeu has been great for Southampton today, and in most games I've seen him play. He'd be an interesting option to have in front of the back 4.

Also, anyone notice Klopp throwing a water bottle infrustration today? Isn't that an offence according to the FA?

Only highlight of the game, paint drying is more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Romeu would be a great signing this summer.

Considering we are linked with Dier who would cost twice as much.

Jamie carragher really knows his Liverpool players, mention all them eventually you'll get there. :)

• Lol forgot about zgemma not working for sky :/

Lol forgot about zgemma not working for sky :/

It still working on sky sports 1 pal

• jayo26 wrote: »
    It still working on sky sports 1 pal

You might pm me dude. Can't get it going. Tested BT and the likes and they are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Lol forgot about zgemma not working for sky :/
    Use other transponder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sign him up!!!

astradave wrote: »
    Sign him up!!!

What a save, still trying to see the handball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement