Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I wouldn't blame the defeat on him but he has been mainly poor for a few seasons yes

As has the entire club to be fair.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense it's not even him been made a scapegoat he's been hopeless for 3/4 seasons and it's sad to see almost forget how good he was at this stage

Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rooney is finish. So sad but it's the truth. Should be moved on this summer

He's no finished he's only 28.

I know hes actually 31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Hardly.

What do you be watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Not a surprising result at all. How many times have we missed the opportunity to capitalise?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hopefully that's Rooney's last game in a United jersey, unless the last game Palace game at the end of the season proves to be utterly meaningless so we can give him a bit of a send off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Would the above mentioned teams accept that though? United are supposed to be a world power.

Look at Man City who you mentioned.

They will win no silverware this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

B84AXUwIcAAEJ6L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Madness bringing on Rashford. He may not care about 4th but he's lying if he says his streak against Wenger isn't on his mind. Jeopardizing our EL chances now over a personal vendetta.

That's some leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

We're going to finish 6th. Ugh

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    What do you be watching?

United's games over the last 4 seasons with a sense of reason and maturity.

As has the entire club to be fair.

So we can agree he has been mainly poor for a few season cool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

When I see subs made on 60th minute, as was the case with Rashford and Lingard, I just presume that they were always planned.

Mourinho has an awful lot to answer for if he doesn't deliver the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Mourinho has an awful lot to answer for if he doesn't deliver the Europa League.

Here we go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

No he doesn't.

Next topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

and has played well for the most part this season when called upon.

Well, that's not true at all is it.

I think with his last few performances he has played himself out of the club, the chance was there to make a statement and show he still had the class but instead he ranged from shocking to just average.

So we can agree he has been mainly poor for a few season cool.

If it means that much to you, which clearly it does, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

limnam wrote: »
    pep is finishing with nothing.

So yes, they're accepting it at city.

Stop talking utter nonsense.

I said "I don't even think", maybe they will. But absolutely for sure, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

No he doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

United's games over the last 4 seasons with a sense of reason and maturity.

How's that been working out for ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Untrue.

You think he deserves Ballon D'Or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

limnam wrote: »
    No he doesn't.

Next topic.

On a serious note most people here expected a title challenge.

Questions will be asked if you don't qualify for the Champions league.

Only positive I can take from today is Tuanzebe.

The front 6 were horrid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If winning a cup game changes your opinion of how we performed over the course of the season then that opinion wasn't worth much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea wouldn't accept this from their manager. I don't even think Man City would take it.

If Mourinho is manager next season, United have accepted mediocrity.

Goes to respond.

Looks at username.

Doesn't bother.

You praise Rooneys performances the last few years but want to blame Mourinho.....okey dokey.

I think with his last few performances he has played himself out of the club, the chance was there to make a statement and show he still had the class but instead he ranged from shocking to just average.

Well it depends on what our definition of "played well" is. I think for what Rooney is now - a squad player - he has come in and done a decent job more often than not when called upon. It wasn't a great performance from him today admittedly but it's obvious that Mourinho had no real ambition to win this game so with the weakened team we were up against it right from the start. Difficult game for him to perform well in.

adox wrote: »
    Goes to respond.

Looks at username.

Doesn't bother.

Didnt Richard Hillman try to kill Gail Platt? Ya dodged a bullet there lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney a complete passenger in the game,when you see Ozil just jogging past him as he lunges in then you know he shouldn't be out there.The 6 shots from him tell a lie,kicking the ball into the crowd is just a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The game was in the balance up to that fluke of a goal for Arsenal and then fell asleep shortly afterwards.

I'm usually one that overreacts when anooyed with a result but a bit of perspective I think is needed by many on here.

This is Mourinho's first season at the club. Say we do actually win the Europa league. That would be league cup, Europa league and champions league qualification in his first season. That's pretty damn good by my assessment. Especially considering how sh!te we've been for a few years now.

Of course we all wanted to do better in the league this year but Rome wasn't built in a day. Taking into account games like the Burnley one where Heaton had the game of his life we could be in an even better position. I know it's shoulda, woulda, coulda but really in the first half of the season there was games where we had no luck at all when actually playing very well and controlling games.

Overall i'm happy with Mourinho so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I said "maybe". But absolutely for sure, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich wouldn't take it.

Bayern play in a league where it's a 1 horse race.

Madrid and Barca where it's two.

At some point we have to give a manager a chance. Changing every year because we didnt win X,Y and Z is no good for anyone.

You're talking out of your jaxy

mewe wrote: »
    How's that been working out for ya?

Pretty well. I'm able to discuss football in a mature way with others. It rarely happens in this thread though. For example, this kind of nonsense:
    pjohnson wrote: »
    You think he deserves Ballon D'Or?

If winning a cup game changes your opinion of how we performed over the course of the season then that opinion wasn't worth much anyway.

Winning the Europa League doesn't change my opinion of how we performed over the course of the season. We have performed sh*t this season. Reasonably sound defensively, but no real idea on how to win a game or kill a game off when winning. Mourinho had no intention of trying win either the game against City or Arsenal today, instead focusing on the EL to get into the Champions League. If that backfires and we potentially finish lower in the league than last season after the investment made last summer then yes I think he will have to take full responsibility for that and be rightly criticised.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You praise Rooneys performances the last few years but want to blame Mourinho.....okey dokey.

Pretty well. I'm able to discuss football in a mature way with others. It rarely happens in this thread though. For example, this kind of nonsense:

Jaysus man you're not the oracle or something. Condescending posts like this do you no favours.

Winning the Europa League doesn't change my opinion of how we performed over the course of the season. We have performed sh*t this season. Reasonably sound defensively, but no real idea on how to win a game or kill a game off when winning. Mourinho had no intention of trying win either the game against City or Arsenal today, instead focusing on the EL to get into the Champions League. If that backfires and we potentially finish lower in the league than last season after the investment made last summer then yes I think he will have to take full responsibility for that and be rightly criticised.

So I joined feb 17. Doesnt mean I'm blind. And is that your "ablity to discuss football in a mature way with others" in full flow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Well that sucked ass. Got what we deserved, arsenal were the better team. Only positive was how good Axel looked. Complete composure and had Sanchez in his pocket most of the game. The first goal was a bit of a fluke but the second was typically half arsed defending by Darmian. He had just started to win me around and then does that.

mewe wrote: »
    Jaysus man you're not the oracle or something. Condescending posts like this do you no favours.

Either do the stupid posts I get in reply to me like the one I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

No way will Everton take him back based on the last few performances, maybe a promoted team, Newcastle?

After Swansea, Jose was presented with two paths to CL football.

Win 3 games; Celta Vigo, Celta Vigo, and one of Ajax or Lyon.

Win 4 games; Arsenal, Spurs, Southampton, Palace

Top 4 and the EL achieve the exact same prize in terms of CL. The EL path was much easier, so I agree with him 100% to focus on it.

A point was made above about Rooney; that matches like today should be a place to prove a point. That can be said about multiple players, Martial and Smalling top of the pile too. But every chance they get to "prove a point", they fail to step up, time and time and time again.

adox wrote: »
    Goes to respond.

Looks at username.

Doesn't bother.

Manchester legend thank you. Massive United fan was Tricky Dicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

There are going to be a fair few personnel changes in the summer. Carrick and Rooney great servants but times up now. Felt we huffed and puffed second half but were too flat and predictable. Thought Tuanzebe had an excellent debut.
    Fergie always wanted players who were hungry and went that extra 5% because of it. It's a fine line because you need young lads who haven't the medals and want them and you also need the lads that have the medals but want more. Jose probably realises that and we are going to see big changes. I agree with a poster above - win the EL along with the league cup and it's a decent season for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rooney
    Carrick
    Smalling/Jones (either one)

I can see these players going

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    When I see subs made on 60th minute, as was the case with Rashford and Lingard, I just presume that they were always planned.

It really wasn't though. It was a reaction to the goal.
    I said it already it was a risky decision for absolutely nothing.
    Poor from Jose

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It really wasn't though. It was a reaction to the goal.
    I said it already it was a risky decision for absolutely nothing.
    Poor from Jose

Its not really that risky to throw a striker on for 25 minutes in a game you're chasing. Its not that Arsenal were kicking strips out of people, and it was probably worth throwing something different on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Martial can **** off tbh.

Hococop wrote: »
    Rooney
    Carrick
    Smalling/Jones (either one)

I can see these players going

All the last remnants of the Ferguson era. Now the leadership in the dressing room is Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard. Extra handshake practice after training.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its not really that risky to throw a striker on for 25 minutes in a game you're chasing. Its not that Arsenal were kicking strips out of people, and it was probably worth throwing something different on the field.

The goal they got was poxy but we didn't exactly look that bright from the start of the second half, looked content to get the draw or barely nick it.
    Step back and think ultimately this is the way Jose wanted to setup against Arsenal.

It didn't work so why all of a sudden push for an equalizer when 2-0 down with the most important game of the season coming up on Thursday and then risk a player who hobbled off in the first leg against Celta Vigo.
    I agree a change was needed but not for the player he decided to bring on already carrying a knock.

He underutilized both Mata & Miki Ryan by having them way too deep anyway.
    Smalling and Jones were not good enough today however so defensively frail, Ramesy was making a show of them by constantly running into space and Smalling was poor for the second goal so that didn't help.

• kona wrote: »
    Martial can **** off tbh.

Martial was probably one of our best players today. Was feeding off alot of scraps.
    And I have given him plenty of criticism but wasn't his fault today.

Harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

paulbok wrote: »
    No way will Everton take him back based on the last few performances, maybe a promoted team, Newcastle?

Suggesting Rafa Benitez, who already has an overweight, balding and useless chairman would spend a large chunk of his wage budget (I can't see anyone paying a transfer fee) for Rooney is comedy gold.

Fancy a charity bet that it won't happen? I'll give you 2:1 on a €50 stake that it doesn't happen in the summer transfer window with the loser making a donation to their favourite charity online and posting the receipt up on the current version of this thread no later than Sept 4th 2017. If you lose you make a €50 donation, if I lose I make a €100 donation.

Deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney's last game for the club will be Carrick's testimonial.
    While Martial wasn't great today,he kept looking for the ball and Arsenal put two and at times three men on him.Jose would have been happy with 0-0 and no injuries, a deflected goal and Smalling forgetting where Welbeck was led to us losing the game.
    Still though, the Liverpool result should have been an incentive to go out and try to win the game, it was more like watching an LVG performance today,a slog.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement