Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its not really that risky to throw a striker on for 25 minutes in a game you're chasing. Its not that Arsenal were kicking strips out of people, and it was probably worth throwing something different on the field.

Exactly.

He could get injured 30 seconds into the first half against Celta Vigo.

It was a bit of a run out and as someone mentioned earlier it was probably something Jose had planned before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know lads im not that pushed about today. A win of been nice to put pressure on a CL spot but the Europa league was always our best chance.

I think the defeat today is a wake up call for the team now, we only have one chance now and that's the Europa league, put everything in to it.

Jose has a lot of cleaning out in the summer as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

All systems go now for the EL. Surely we wont **** up on Thursday night. I will still be worried though facing an Ajax side presuming they get through in a one off match as anything can happen in a cup final. Theres a lot of deadwood to get rid of on the summer and signings to be made. I would hope Rooney goes anyway and I can see Mourinho possibly off loading Darmien back to Italy, one of Jones or Smalling, Carrick retiring or going to a lower league club, Young and possibly De Gea leaving too. In terms of in comings I predict we will get Michael Keane, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva or Greizmann and a new keeper if De Gea leaves. Dont think Oblak will be sold by Athletico so it could be Navas from Madrid as a player plus cash exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Extremely disappointing to be so comprehensively beaten by such a weak Arsenal side who have been having such a poor season.

We dropped down a class when Fergie retired and we've been moving sideways ever since.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Martial was probably one of our best players today. Was feeding off alot of scraps.
    And I have given him plenty of criticism but wasn't his fault today.

Harsh

He was absolutely crap. Looks like he's not even bothered. He's a 50million player lets not forget.

Im talking about his performances in general not just today. Needs a proper kick up the hole.

Just out of interest , when was our last goal that wasnt a free kick or penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Any sign of Niallo lads, I need to know if we are still heavy favourites for top 4.

Gonna ruin my Sunday if we aren't tbh.

:mad:

• kona wrote: »
    He was absolutely crap. Looks like he's not even bothered. He's a 50million player lets not forget.

Why exactly was he crap? His movement was very good and nearly scored

Again prior to conceding he was living off scraps and done well with what he received

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

We meant to lose that so we can focus properly on winning the europa league. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Again prior to conceding he was living off scraps and done well with what he received

He was losing the ball far too easy. Hes been rubbish all season, nows the time we need him to extract the finger and hes been doing **** all.

I hope he puts in two performances for us between now and the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He had very little to work with, but he's develop an awful bad habit of trying to run through people. He loses the ball an awful lot by just running straight at the defender and hoping the ball will slip through and that he can run by them, but it's just not working for him. He didn't do it last season so I don't know why he's doing it this season but he needs to cut it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This team has become a bunch of bottlers.

Christ we had worse team from 2004 to 2006 but boy did they least come out to fight..

Players need stand **** up here. No pride in jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

billyhead wrote: »
    All systems go now for the EL. Surely we wont **** up on Thursday night. I will still be worried though facing an Ajax side presuming they get through in a one off match as anything can happen in a cup final. Theres a lot of deadwood to get rid of on the summer and signings to be made. I would hope Rooney goes anyway and I can see Mourinho possibly off loading Darmien back to Italy, one of Jones or Smalling, Carrick retiring or going to a lower league club, Young and possibly De Gea leaving too. In terms of in comings I predict we will get Michael Keane, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva or Greizmann and a new keeper if De Gea leaves. Dont think Oblak will be sold by Athletico so it could be Navas from Madrid as a player plus cash exchange.

We are hardly awash with full backs and Darmian has done very little wrong this year. Also offers versatility, especially with his ability to slot in at CB like last week. Really can't see Darmian leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Headshot wrote: »
    You know lads im not that pushed about today. A win of been nice to put pressure on a CL spot but the Europa league was always our best chance.

You sound like an Arsenal accountant.

Ferguson's legacy has been destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

We are hardly awash with full backs and Darmian has done very little wrong this year. Also offers versatility, especially with his ability to slot in at CB like last week. Really can't see Darmian leaving.

Either him or Young will be gone imo. Young may head over to china as I believe his agent was discussing a deal with a club their in January. I think Michael Keane will be brought back to the club.

You sound like an Arsenal accountant.

Ferguson's legacy has been destroyed

You know I have been thinking last week about this and it hurts me say it but you have a point.

I dont totally agree and I still think if we are win EL it be good season but we are starting to accept crap bit too much also

• Advertisement

You know I have been thinking last week about this and it hurts me say it but you have a point.

I dont totally agree and I still think if we are win EL it be good season but we are starting to accept crap bit too much also

Btw I include myself in that to degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Squawka Football @Squawka

Wayne Rooney’s game by numbers vs. Arsenal:

7 failed crosses
    4 shots off-target
    1 chance created
    0 take-ons
    0 tackles won

And some people think this was a good performance. Any wonder we have become so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I half agree with Mick on Martial. I thought he was pretty good in the first half playing up front. It was when he was pushed out wide that he went to ****. He actually doesn't look as if he's trying as much when he plays out wide and of course his was the first in a catalogue of errors for the second goal.

The more I see him the more I think he's a striker and a striker only. I think Rashford is more adaptable to playing wide than Martial is at this stage.

adox wrote: »
    I half agree with Mick on Martial. I thought he was pretty good int he first half okayjmg up front. It was when he was pushed out wide that he to ****. He actually doesn't look as if he's trying as much when he plays out wide and of course his was the first in a catalogue of errors for the second goal.

The more I see him the more I think he's a striker and a striker only. I think Rashford is more adaptable to playing wide than Martial is at this stage.

Agree totally. I thought I was only one who notices his body language is different in the 2 positions and not first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »

7 failed crosses
    4 shots off-target
    1 chance created
    0 take-ons
    0 tackles won

And some people think this was a good performance. Any wonder we have become so bad.

Rooney played like a dead donkey today.

• Advertisement

Big fan of Rooney but its bye bye in Summer.

I hope...

And thanks for the good times cause it should not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

pjohnson wrote:
    7 failed crosses 4 shots off-target 1 chance created 0 take-ons 0 tackles won

No stats for fouls attempted? Some is his tackles were so late they even missed the opportunity to foul the player. More of a swing and a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Rooney had a shot at the end and all you could do was feel sorry for him. It's over for him at united anyway. For his sake hope the deal is done for the MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dubmick wrote: »
    Rooney had a shot at the end and all you could do was feel sorry for him. It's over for him at united anyway. For his sake hope the deal is done for the MLS.

LA galaxy would be a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Am I right in saying we haven't scored an away goal against a top 6 team in the EPL this season?

zerks wrote: »
    Am I right in saying we haven't scored an away goal against a top 6 team in the EPL this season?

Hey hey, we still got Spurs to play, don't be negative:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If De Gea is to leave this Summer we need to get a ridiculously good deal for him.....and not squander the incoming transfer fee on meh players.
    At one stage today at around the seventy minute mark the camera happened to pan on on his face and he was shaking his head in disgust....not an encouraging sign.
    Personally I really hope he stays at the club but I think that very much is contingent now on us winning the Europa as there is no way in hell that any top class players like Griezmann,Varane or Kroos would join us without guaranteed Champions league football next season.De Gea will not hang about either if we can't improve the squad properly on the Summer and in fairness who would blame him for going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

RobertKK wrote: »
    Look at Man City who you mentioned.

They will win no silverware this year.

To be honest if we dont win the Europa league then City's season will be more successful than ours. They will have C.L. football and we wont. Thats failure. No one gives a hoot about the league cup except Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There's a lot of hurdles to overcome before the EL is ours, celta could easily nick an early goal on Thursday and then it's edge of the seats stuff. I really do hope we can pick them off on the counter as they'll need to go for it straight away.

And Ajax in a one off game is a daunting prospect given the way the season has gone.

That was a very uninspiring performance today.

We beat the champions-elect impressively a few weeks ago and then go on to play like that against City and Arsenal. We had f*ck-all intention of winning either of those games, let's be honest.

But we could have today, or at least could have went into the lead when Rooney failed to play that very simple ball to Mata. So poor...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTy9rU_BfWr/

Speaking of poor, I'd be among the first to praise Herrera but I expected more from him than he turning his back on a shot like that. It was an unlucky deflection and I'm sure no one will hate looking at the replay more than Ander, but it was disappointing to see.

Darmian, rather than Smalling, had most fault for that second goal in my view. He didn't try to close Ox-Chamberlain down, let alone throw out any attempt of a block when the ball was hit. It was a good cross and finish, but Darmian or Smalling should have smothered that attack.

Mad aul season. We've been afforded so many chances to get into the Top 4 that when we don't make it, we can't console ourselves with "Yeah but our rivals were highly competitive". There's Chelsea and Spurs cementing the top 2 spots, but 3rd and 4th were there for the taking. We're simply still not good enough overall.

Win an EFL and just maybe the Europa, that would be great and I like trophies, but finishing outside the Top 4 for the 3rd time out of 4 post-Fergie years is a bit sh*t. With the league and Top 4 gone for us now, the season will either have a bittersweet conclusion (win the Europa, finish outside top 4 again) or an utterly dejecting one.

We need to win that f*cking trophy not to put a shine on this season, but to put a shine on the thoughts of next season.

Just thought about this now - There's still the chance of a UEFA Super Cup in there too :pac:

• Advertisement

O the bot is back :P

I am (not) robot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Choosing to focus on the positive, delighted to see Tuanzebe. Thought he played very well all things considered, wouldn't have considered him for the right back role in my head for his future, but today was encouraging from that point of view, versatility would be great for him to have at this stage of his career anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

thelad95 wrote: »
    There's a lot of hurdles to overcome before the EL is ours, celta could easily nick an early goal on Thursday and then it's edge of the seats stuff. I really do hope we can pick them off on the counter as they'll need to go for it straight away.

And Ajax in a one off game is a daunting prospect given the way the season has gone.

Dont think Celta will go gung ho straight away. Can see them having a lot of the ball and Jose setting us up with 6 at the back AGAIN.
    And if we do get to the final I expect negative tactics again
    I dont understand people having a go at Martial or any of the attacking players today or in most of the top games away from home.
    Mata and Mikateryan were playing basically as fullback more often than they were let attack which meant Martial was completely isolated.
    Jose needs to get a set of balls and go for the jugular and stop fukingup our attacking payers. Away to the scouse, city, arsenal and Chelsea we have looked dreadful and didn't overlook like scoring.

Robson99 wrote: »
    To be honest if we dont win the Europa league then City's season will be more successful than ours. They will have C.L. football and we wont. Thats failure. No one gives a hoot about the league cup except Jose

Really so getting into the champions league makes this season a success, what do they get for 3rd/4th. If you don't win the league does it really matter where you finish in it. We get the europa league and the league cup and move on from here.

Getting into the champions league is not an actual accomplishment, i don't know where that idea ever came from and that should never be united's priority or did we become a small club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's definitely an accomplishment. It should never be the ultimate goal going into a season but qualifying for the CL is a reward worth chasing.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Really so getting into the champions league makes this season a success, what do they get for 3rd/4th. If you don't win the league does it really matter where you finish in it. We get the europa league and the league cup and move on from here.

Getting into the champions league is not an actual accomplishment, i don't know where that idea ever came from and that should never be united's priority or did we become a small club?

I never said it was a success. But getting 4th and qualifying for C.L football is a hell of a lot better than a league Cup and Europa football next season.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's definitely an accomplishment. It should never be the ultimate goal going into a season but qualifying for the CL is a reward worth chasing.

That's for clubs that need the money and it doesn't make this season a success, it makes season potential of being a success greater but ultimately it leaves this season where it is.

If we finish top 4 is not a better success this season then winning the europa league and can't really be considered a successful season because we've qualified for it.

It would be more successful than if we hadn't be i would never class finishing top 4 as a successful season, just better potential next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Getting into the champions league is not an actual accomplishment

It's more of an accomplishment than not getting into it for 3 reasons:-

1. It gives you entry to the world's most prestigious football competition.
    2. It enables you to attract the best players to your club.
    3. If you were outside the CL positions last season it demonstrates marginal progress.

Getting into the CL spots for Utd or several other "big" clubs should never be the main target for the season the same way Watford may set 40 points as their season target but avoiding missing out on CL qualification should definitely be a target for big clubs.

Winning the PL may be the gold medal objective but getting the silver medal of CL qualification is still something worth recognising as an important achievement but it's still clearly quite an awkward finishing position:-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Stop trying to be all Roy Keane.

It's vital for a club like Manchester United to be in the CL.
    _this_ year how we get back into it makes fck all difference but we _have_ to get back into it.

For me and most united fans I know would be happy _this_ year to have the ship steadied get back into CL. Attract the players we need to take us forward and crack on.

Should we do that; _next_ year just qualifying for CL won't be deemed as a success.

An EL cup, a league cup and back into CL next year is a pretty damn good start by anyone's measure considering the shambles he walked into. The only people who would think otherwise are probably just very young or utterly clueless and naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Martin Keown like a pig in sh!te on MOTD.

• I for one hate not being in the CL and competing for the trophy so yes as a utd fan it matters hugely to me

It also bothers me if we are not competing for the title

We are building again I know but it doesn't stop it bothering me

Massive game Thursday, no excuses a must win or questions get asked big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

De Gea has to take some blame in my opinion. He could have come to try claim it, and should have in my opinion. Still the one remaining weakness in his game is his reluctance to leave his line.

Was the same at another stage where Tuabzebe was trying to hold off (I think sanchez?) shepherding the ball back inside the penalty spot approaching the 6 yard line and instead of coming to help and claim the ball, de Gea went back and back and offered no help at all to the young debutant.

limnam wrote: »
    Stop trying to be all Roy Keane.

It's vital for a club like Manchester United to be in the CL.
    _this_ year how we get back into it makes fck all difference but we _have_ to get back into it.

For me and most united fans I know would be happy _this_ year to have the ship steadied get back into CL. Attract the players we need to take us forward and crack on.

Should we do that; _next_ year just qualifying for CL won't be deemed as a success.

An EL cup, a league cup and back into CL next year is a pretty damn good start by anyone's measure considering the shambles he walked into. The only people who would think otherwise are probably just very young or utterly clueless and naive.

Not trying to be Roy Keane, just don't see Champions League as something utd need to attract big players, If we don't qualify for it next season for whatever reason it would probably gives a lot better standing for the league. If we qualify for champions league and do nothing in it and it has detrimental effects on our league challenge then was it a success at getting in?

We all know its nice to be at the top table, but its not always beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Was the same at another stage where Tuabzebe was trying to hold off (I think sanchez?) shepherding the ball back inside the penalty spot approaching the 6 yard line and instead of coming to help and claim the ball, de Gea went back and back and offered no help at all to the young debutant.
    I was very surprised by this. Seemed like coming off his line to help was the obvious choice to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Notorious wrote: »
    Here we go...

Don't you know Jose can do no wrong, he's the messiah, nothing is his fault, nothing I tell you .

Sighs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

NVM :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Celta Vigo beaten 3:0 away to Malaga. I see Aspas wasn't playing.

Does anyone have any idea how many were rested? I'm guessing all their main players probably were.

astradave wrote: »
    NVM :pac:

Also NVM astradve trolled me :P jokes no card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

tinpib wrote: »
    Celta Vigo beaten 3:0 away to Malaga. I see Aspas wasn't playing.

Does anyone have any idea how many were rested? I'm guessing all their main players probably were.

9 changes or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

pjohnson wrote: »

7 failed crosses
    4 shots off-target
    1 chance created
    0 take-ons
    0 tackles won

Yeah it was almost as bad as Mkhitaryan:

0 crosses
    0 shots
    0 chances created
    1 take on
    1 tackle

Martial wasn't much better:

1 failed cross
    2 shots (one saved one blocked)
    0 chances created
    2 take ons
    2 tackles