Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Stream is down TSC :(

Edit* NM Draw done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If we get thru we are the away team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not drawing Celta Vigo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nice one and if we get through then the final will be against a fairly big side at least historically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Celta Vigo it is

Have never seen them play, haven't a clue about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

What dates are the matches being played on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Couldn't have asked for a better draw. We should be more than capable of beating Celta Vigo over two legs, even taking injuries into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Would have preferred to play Ajax, the only team still left with something to play for in their domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Celta Vigo it is

Knew it was in northern Spain but had to look at a map to see exactly where. Looks like a nice away venue

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Giuseppe Rossi plays for them...ex United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Irish94 wrote: »

May 4th
    May 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Would have preferred Ajax or Lyon. Celta Vigo are horrible team to play, they usually beat Barca at home, that should give some idea about their quality.

Watched their games against Barca and their counter attacking was superb, helped by awful Barca keeper too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Quandary wrote: »
    Couldn't have asked for a better draw. We should be more than capable of beating Celta Vigo over two legs, even taking injuries into account.

They're pretty good at home. Have beaten both Barca and Real recently and knocked Real out of the Copa Del Rey.

Delboy5 wrote: »

I think he is injured again and out for long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Irish94 wrote: »

4th May and 11th May according to UEFA website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Saint Etienne
    Rostov
    Anderlecht
    Celta Vigo

Couldn't have asked for better draws throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Delboy5 wrote: »

Well, he does and doesn't. Had another cruciate injury I think.

The script was supposed to be ibra winning the europa league in Sweden. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ajax would have been my first choice but maybe we will face them in the final instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So, we could be in for the prospect of Iago Aspas taking a corner in OT.

Best draw we could hope for, all difficult teams. Sandwiched in between these games is a trip to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Celta are 10th in La Liga and have lost 13 games in the league this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

The softest route to a final of all time ye lucky bastards :pac:

• domrush wrote: »
    The softest route to a final of all time ye lucky bastards :pac:

Never in the Final until you get to the Final.
    Utd fans don't do that!

Celta have scored 48 goals in 31 league games, exactly same as ManUtd. But like ManUtd they have scored decent number of goals in Europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Celta Vigo it is

Decent team that cannot be taken for granted. Have rested players in la liga for games in europa league and iago aspas is on fire for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Celta Vigo are a solid mid table team, nothing more. They have scored less and conceded more goals than either of Ajax and Lyon. Fair enough in different leagues but IMO they were the number one preferred choice for our semi final draw.

The return leg at OT is very nice too. Maybe I'll be eating these words after we limp out to them over two legs but this was my ideal draw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Their 2 strikers are ex-Liverpool and ex-City....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'd be worried about the way leg, they've put up a score on both Barca and Real this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Definitely not going to be easy but can't wait for it the team has put in so much effort to get to this stage each round the importance gets bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rollercoaster of a game last night,end to end stuff,I thought it was going to be another one of those games,missing chances due to keeper making a few saves,defenders blocking shots and some wayward finishing

Rashford is coming into form at a very important time for the team and now especially if it looks like Ibra will be out for a while,

Not a bad draw at all in the semi final,will be tough of course but its a tie Utd should be winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the stats say otherwise to back up my thoughts last night.

Pogba with the most successful amount of tackles made and the most chances created.
    But that means he needs to be dropped.

Glaring issue last night was Carrick as DM, worst performance from him in a very long time and I have so much time for him but call a spade a spade. He was ****e. Compounded by the fact that Rojo got injured which left our defence more exposed.
    As soon as Fellani came on the pitch we regained full control of Midfield and Pogba no longer had to cover so much ground and do all the work in attack and defense. He covered for Carrick multiple times.

Also on Shaw, was excellent in attack but his positioning let him down defensively at times but with a good run of games I expect that to improve.
    He got through 120 minutes unscathed which to be honest with all the fitness issues he's been having of late is a positive.

It was me who said I think the team would be better off overall without him. Stats can tell you whatever story you want.
    I`m basing my opinion(rightly or wrongly)on watching the games and not checking stats afterwards.

Also on Shaw he did improve in the second half but was incredibly lazy in his defending imo.

• Advertisement

• adox wrote: »
    It was me who said I think the team would be better off overall without him. Stats can tell you whatever story you want.
    I`m basing my opinion(rightly or wrongly)on watching the games and not checking stats afterwards.

Also on Shaw he did improve in the second half but was incredibly lazy in his defending imo.

As am I Adox, I just used the stats to back up what I believe happened last night.
    I'd say we are at a impasse on this one so I will leave it at that.
    I have put some of my thoughts in here and in the match thread if your interested.
    Anyway still what I love about the thread, can have perfectly good debates with good posters. It's not all pat on the back stuff / agree with everything.

As am I Adox, I just used the stats to back up what I believe happened last night.
    I have put some of my thoughts in here and in the match thread if your interested.
    Anyway still what I love about the thread, can have perfectly good debates with good posters. It's not all pat on the back stuff / agree with everything.

100% agree with you here this in an excellent post well done pal.

jayo26 wrote: »
    100% agree with you here this in an excellent post well done pal.

Stop patting him on the back, it will make his post invalid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And yet i nearly got bullied off the internet for my opinion on fellaini 4 years ago :)

• bangkok wrote: »
    And yet i nearly got bullied off the internet for my opinion on fellaini 4 years ago :)

Tbf i have stood up for ya a couple of times but i think the fellani thing became a running joke

I don't agree with your thoughts on fellani, and it does feel like you have always had an agenda against him

But i never attacked you as a poster just the posts

Would have been sweet had it not been blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would have gone about a foot wide had it not been blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Pretty desperate luck losing Zlatan and Mata for the season with such a difficult run in. But this club is built on fighting against the odds. Look who was missing in the 1999 final. Just have to fight through it. Could be the saving of Martial as he's gonna get a lot of action he might not have got now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Shane St. wrote: »
    Pretty desperate luck losing Zlatan and Mata for the season with such a difficult run in. But this club is built on fighting against the odds. Look who was missing in the 1999 final. Just have to fight through it. Could be the saving of Martial as he's gonna get a lot of action he might not have got now!

Every cloud has it's silver lining.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not to be pessimistic but if Martial hasn't "stepped up" the other half dozen times this season, I wouldn't be holding my breath he will this time either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Shane St. wrote: »

Some might say that was the start of his decline last year......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rashford is really good out wide, can go outside or inside his defender. Even when its two on one the defenders struggle with him.

Martial always goes inside and is easier to stop.

Maybe United need to go with Martial up front as it could be better for the team? Martial can be a deadly finisher while Rashford keeps creating chances for others (or himself) wherever he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

DM_7 wrote: »
    Rashford is really good out wide, can go outside or inside his defender. Even when its two on one the defenders struggle with him.

Martial always goes inside and is easier to stop.

Maybe United need to go with Martial up front as it could be better for the team? Martial can be a deadly finisher while Rashford keeps creating chances for others (or himself) wherever he plays.

Does rashford final ball not let him down. Play him through the centre they guy is lethal when he is the main man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does rashford final ball not let him down. Play him through the centre they guy is lethal when he is the main man.

He's missed multiple one on ones this season, and overall has not been lethal. Great movement, great positioning, but his finishing has been dire for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's missed multiple one on ones this season, and overall has not been lethal. Great movement, great positioning, but his finishing has been dire for months.

Thats when he getting bit parts. Make him the main striker and he will flourish.

Yeah I'm with niallo on this one I think if we are left with just rashfied for remainder of season we need to go with him threw the middle give him the games and boost his confidence which should already be sky high and see how he goes.

I actually never thought I'd say it but I'd rather Ashley young gets the start ahead of martial too if he is going to keep playing as he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

For Burnley I'd like to see this maybe...

DeGea
    Darmian Fosu-Mensah Bailly Blind/Shaw
    Herrera Pogba Fellaini
    Lingard Rashford Martial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Watching Zlatan last night he looked a bit like someone who wanted his season to be over. Not that he was that bad or his attitude was not good, but he looked very tired. Some of his attempted shots were shocking. I know he has missed chances before but yesterday he just looked done. He over hit a pass by about 40 yards as well that just sailed over the end line.

He has been overplayed I feel and now we are paying the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement