Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Stupid from Jose
    He setup this way and now panic stations for nothing
    Risking players for the sake of it

that substitution really had me asking some serious questions

You know I have been thinking last week about this and it hurts me say it but you have a point.

I dont totally agree and I still think if we are win EL it be good season but we are starting to accept crap bit too much also

I think it's normal for fans to justify scenarios and context in order to see the positives. I do it, you do it, we have all being doing it for the last three seasons at various times.

Ironically we have looked from afar for a long time and laughed and scoffed a fair bit.

However the season finishes, there is no escaping certain things. Have to say though, with all the eggs in one basket, serious gamble from Mourinho. And Ajax are no pushovers.

Europa league and EFL cup probably will be enough to be painted a good season, but there is no escaping the wretched league. Comes up empty handed in the Europa league, and I'd say there is some tough questions to answer. Our boards patience might well be seriously tested.

While totally understanding the context and scenario for today's game, that was still a good team we put out. And it was more 10 men behind the ball trying to nick a counter attack. As Jamie Redknapp said, its the most expensive squad assembled in history, and we are trying to nick a 1-0, playing pure defense. Got what we deserved.

Again taking the context of the general environment, with a semi final coming up I shouldn't be annoyed. But losing to Arsenal will always grate me. And that team today wasn't some team of reserves.

We beat that shower last season with a proper ropey team, this team was carrying one debutant and some serious players. I think it's a disappointing result any which way you look at it, especially considering how Liverpool keep opening the door.

Yeah it was almost as bad as Mkhitaryan:

0 crosses
    0 shots
    0 chances created
    1 take on
    1 tackle

Martial wasn't much better:

1 failed cross
    2 shots (one saved one blocked)
    0 chances created
    2 take ons
    2 tackles

Funnily enough either was Herrera:

1 failed cross
    0 shots
    0 chances created
    1 take on
    1 tackle.

Considering how the team setup, it's hardly surprising stats. You're asking for absolute precision from attacking player son the break. The passes need to be perfect, at high speed, and the finishes need to be on point. And you will only get a few.

Rooney pounces on that mistake and scores and we finish 1-0 it's labelled a masterclass. Lose 0-2 and it's labelled clueless and pathetic.

You would think if the league was a proper write off, like he said, he would have gone there with a bit more courage and belief in his players, and put it onto Arsenal,a streaky team in anarchy this season.

It just doesn't make any sense to me what ever way I slice it.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    that substitution really had me asking some serious questions

Fair enough if he decides to approach the game the way he did to rest players regardless of me agreeing with it or not (I agree he should have rested the correct players for EL but I don't agree with the tactical approach as we had a good enough team to beat arsenal but we showed too much respect to a mediocre arsenal team at times)
    However as I said it's really ridiculous that he then decides to make a double sub minutes after we go two goals down and I said already Rashford carrying knock from the last game. Silly risk.
    Sorry lads but people convincing themselves that it was planned double sub are being ridiculous IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

TheDoc wrote: »
    Considering how the team setup, it's hardly surprising stats. You're asking for absolute precision from attacking player son the break. The passes need to be perfect, at high speed, and the finishes need to be on point. And you will only get a few.

Rooney pounces on that mistake and scores and we finish 1-0 it's labelled a masterclass. Lose 0-2 and it's labelled clueless and pathetic.

You would think if the league was a proper write off, like he said, he would have gone there with a bit more courage and belief in his players, and put it onto Arsenal,a streaky team in anarchy this season.

It just doesn't make any sense to me what ever way I slice it.

I agree. We had nothing to lose today really with the team he selected so it's disappointing that we didn't play to win. Everyone knows this Arsenal side are weak and that the crowd would start getting on their backs if things started going wrong. We never once made it difficult or uncomfortable for them which was disappointing. I was quite confused by Mourinho immediately bringing on Rashford after Arsenal scored also. If the game wasn't important enough to not rest him why was it suddenly important enough to bring him on to try and rescue something at two down?

Fair enough if he decides to approach the game the way he did to rest players regardless of me agreeing with it or not (I agree he should have rested the correct players for EL but I don't agree with the tactical approach as we had a good enough team to beat arsenal but we showed too much respect to a mediocre arsenal team at times)
    However as I said it's really ridiculous that he then decides to make a double sub minutes after we go two goals down and I said already Rashford carrying knock from the last game. Silly risk.
    Sorry lads but people convincing themselves that it was planned double sub are being ridiculous IMO

Things that immediately sprung to my head as I watched Rashford get his tracksuit off
    • The subsitution was planned to rest someone else.
    • Someone has got a knock and it's an emergency
    • He thinks he can actually win this from two goals down
    • He's had a flash in his head that Liverpool have dropped points, and we need to draw
    • He got pure flustered at the thought of losing to Wenger
    • He doesn't have any guarantees from our board about his future without CL qualification, and panicked

In fairness considering he is brazen as ****, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt he knew that game was gone and brought him on to give someone else a break, and thinks cause hes a kid hes got faster recovery time and more energy. He replaced Hererra if I remember right.

And Hererra got a nasty knock in a tackle leading up to the first goal. Not sure what the take was on his involvement, but I'd sympathy. He was slow to the close still hobbling. Just a freak incident.

Loved Gary Nevilles "take it on the chin" few scans of youtube and I'd say you'd find dozens of shots of him diving with his back turned, or turning his back. Every player does it, dont know where this myth comes from that they don't, or never did "back in my day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

TheDoc wrote:
    We beat that shower last season with a proper ropey team, this team was carrying one debutant and some serious players. I think it's a disappointing result any which way you look at it, especially considering how Liverpool keep opening the door.

Hang on, did they not beat us 3-0 at the Emirates last season? It's all those frustrating games in the first half of the season where we had no luck at all that are costing us now. Liverpool finishing in the top 4 this season may paper over the cracks and give bragging rights to some of their deluded fans but I can't wait til next season til they're found out for the level they're truly at. There I've said it.

mewe wrote: »
    Hang on, did they not beat us 3-0 at the Emirates last season? It's all those frustrating games in the first half of the season where we had no luck at all that are costing us now. Liverpool finishing in the top 4 this season may paper over the cracks and give bragging rights to some of their deluded fans but I can't wait til next season til they're found out for the level they're truly at. There I've said it.

Meant our home game, where we had mad injuries, and we put out a proper ropey team and beat them

TheDoc wrote:
    Meant our home game, where we had mad injuries, and we put out a proper ropey team and beat them

Give me a loss to Arsenal towards the end of the season where we're running out of steam any day above beating Arsenal under Van Gaal and watching most of the games over the course of the season from behind the couch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I for one hate not being in the CL and competing for the trophy so yes as a utd fan it matters hugely to me

It also bothers me if we are not competing for the title

We are building again I know but it doesn't stop it bothering me

Massive game Thursday, no excuses a must win or questions get asked big time

What is being built this season? I'm under the impression that fans want to get to the CL by any means and then gut this team and move on. What does the team want to be next season - is it big and strong? Big names? Fast and quick counters? A mix of old and young? Big squad or a core number of players...

The record at the top six is a dreadful return from those games, it has to be said. How does that change next year, built on from this year's approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

pjohnson wrote: »
    Squawka Football @Squawka

Wayne Rooney’s game by numbers vs. Arsenal:

7 failed crosses
    4 shots off-target
    1 chance created
    0 take-ons
    0 tackles won

And some people think this was a good performance. Any wonder we have become so bad.

Yeah it was almost as bad as Mkhitaryan:

0 crosses
    0 shots
    0 chances created
    1 take on
    1 tackle

Martial wasn't much better:

1 failed cross
    2 shots (one saved one blocked)
    0 chances created
    2 take ons
    2 tackles

Funnily enough either was Herrera:

1 failed cross
    0 shots
    0 chances created
    1 take on
    1 tackle.

Forget it. Rooney is hated around here. It doesn't matter how cowardly Herrera was for the first goal or how pathetic Mkhitaryan (a player who ought to be in his prime) was, everything is on Wayne.

I can only assume it's the younger fans around here who may not remember what Rooney has done for this club. Maybe a few more years without a league title will put it into perspective for them.

I'm not going to argue that he should be an important player in the team but the lack of respect from certain posters when discussing him, or his contributions during games is an embarrassment for this thread. I don't believe it's the way most fans would talk about him, or fans of other clubs would talk about a player who has been vital in delivering 5 league titles and a European Cup.

Again, with modern fans it's a case of 'what have you done for me lately'.

On another point, I don't think it's been mentioned but as well as Tuanzebe doing well I thought McTominay looked very composed in his few minutes on the pitch. He looks fairly strong and athletic too. I'd like to see more of him in the remaining league games.

What Rooney has done for the club does not put him beyond criticism and it's ridiculous to say otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What Rooney has done for the club does not put him beyond criticism and it's ridiculous to say otherwise

It's good that nobody said that then.

Really?
    Forget it. Rooney is hated around here. It doesn't matter how cowardly Herrera was for the first goal or how pathetic Mkhitaryan (a player who ought to be in his prime) was, everything is on Wayne.

I can only assume it's the younger fans around here who may not remember what Rooney has done for this club. Maybe a few more years without a league title will put it into perspective for them.

I'm not going to argue that he should be an important player in the team but the lack of respect from certain posters when discussing him, or his contributions during games is an embarrassment for this thread. I don't believe it's the way most fans would talk about him, or fans of other clubs would talk about a player who has been vital in delivering 5 league titles and a European Cup.

Again, with modern fans it's a case of 'what have you done for me lately'.

On another point, I don't think it's been mentioned but as well as Tuanzebe doing well I thought McTominay looked very composed in his few minutes on the pitch. He looks fairly strong and athletic too. I'd like to see more of him in the remaining league games.

It does read like that's your sentiment in the bolded parts, please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Herrera made a rare mistake 90% of the way through what has been a very strong, breakthrough season for him. That mistake has been called out in this thread since the match ended, "Cowardly", "Disappointing", "Weak", all have been mentioned in relation to Herrera and his mistake. Knowing Herrera, he'd be the first to admit that it was unacceptable and take the responsibility. Unlike Rooney who when asked about his dip in form earlier in the season more or less replied "What dip in form?" and implied it was just a fabrication of people's minds, "...you get that in football" he said...
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-news-wayne-rooney-11926140

Mkhitaryan has blown cold in games, sure, and today especially. However, he has also shown tremendous talent in only his first season in the club and the Premier League.

In those two players and their performances, when good, fans can rightfully imagine them featuring in a near-future title-winning United side. Rooney - not so much.

Also, Rooney's salary is probably more than Herrera and Mkhitaryan's combined. Just thought I'd mention that since money is so important when it comes to criticising Pogba and Martial. You're talking about Rooney getting unfairly criticised, it's rarely mentioned that he is getting over a million pound per month from the club for the last three seasons of sub-par contributions overall.

I did see posters in here give Rooney a chance and the benefit of the doubt when he returned to the team a few games ago- Ex: "Let's see if he can make a claim for next season and still be a use to the team". I saw more comments like that, than "FFS Rooney's in the line-up!".

People gave him a chance and have watched for that hope in the last few games. Like myself, they probably found no happiness or satisfaction in admitting to themselves that the once great Wayne Rooney is past it for United. Personally speaking, his career at the club began in my early twenties and he's been playing at United for the best years of my life, never mind his own. When he goes, that's going to be another one of those 'F*ck, I am actually getting on in years' moments.

I do agree that there should be respect for what he has achieved, and I certainly don't have time for the tone or laziness of "FFS Just f*ck off Rooney" posts which appear the odd time. However, there's more than an element of 'You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain' with Rooney here, like Wenger at Arsenal over the last few months.

There's a tricky balancing act between honoring and respecting what a player/manager has done in the past for a club, and expressing frustration with what they're not doing for the club in the present during their declining years. It's hard to be grateful of and honor those past contributions when at the same time looking at how Rooney performs in the present. Sometimes, United fans haven't done the best job of finding that balance with the declining Rooney but no matter how it is said, the point is that he is past it for the club.

In the years to follow after he leaves, all of this 'live commentary' on his decline will be over and Rooney's overall contribution to the club will be viewed and judged as largely positive and successful. He was a great player for Manchester United and for the Premier League. It's just hard to watch a performance like that against Arsenal yesterday, or Swansea last week (penalty aside) and smile and go "Yeah, but that overhead against City in 2011!".

I've been supporting United since Mark Hughes was scoring goals with Sharp on his jersey and amazing hair on his head in the old Division One. I don't believe harsh criticism of Rooney is a case of the "modern fan" and "what have you done for me lately?" at all.

As I said originally, correct me if I'm wrong, but you started your post with a very generalised "Rooney is hated around here" comment. Good posters can lose the run of themselves in here during the matches and things can get overblown in those emotional live moments and in the near aftermath, but it's ridiculous to gauge the overall temperature/opinion of the thread in that live situation. I do not agree at all that "Rooney is hated around here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Forget it. Rooney is hated around here.

Rooney isn't hated. The majority of his performances this season were/are.

• dfx- wrote: »
    What is being built this season? I'm under the impression that fans want to get to the CL by any means and then gut this team and move on. What does the team want to be next season - is it big and strong? Big names? Fast and quick counters? A mix of old and young? Big squad or a core number of players...

The record at the top six is a dreadful return from those games, it has to be said. How does that change next year, built on from this year's approach?

I always wonder do people continue to forget we have gone through two managers in 3 seasons. It's all had a cumulative effect in a negative way.

I still think we are much better than we have been in those two previous seasons but I still question some of Joses decisions tactically which cost us points as did some ridiculous misses by our forward players.

Yes winning the EL needs to happen or this will be a very poor finish to the season. A ways to go yet though.

I think the form is worse away to the top 6? It's not too bad at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You did.

Its a nice but rather boring sentiment to go on about what Rooney has done for the club in the past and lambast the younger fans for "what have you done lately", but unless you are happy with Rooney's performances and want him to remain an important first team player then its all just willy waving on your part.

Do you really think he has been playing at a top standard? Do you really think he should continue to be a first teamer with that level of performance? Do you really think we will improve next season if we continue to carry all these players who aren't playing well?

If you want another season of Rooney at United and more of those performances then fair enough, but if you don't then I guess you are just a modern fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Can't say I'm surprised by the complete overaction to what at the end of the day was a nothing game.

The front 6 were all crap not just Rooney.

Very happy with Axel and Tom who looked bright for the few minutes he had. Hopefully they both get a few more minutes this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

mewe wrote: »

LOL like Man U have been found out AGAIN this year, 3 out of 4 seasons finishing outside of top 4

• Advertisement

You did.

Its a nice but rather boring sentiment to go on about what Rooney has done for the club in the past and lambast the younger fans for "what have you done lately", but unless you are happy with Rooney's performances and want him to remain an important first team player then its all just willy waving on your part.

Do you really think he has been playing at a top standard? Do you really think he should continue to be a first teamer with that level of performance? Do you really think we will improve next season if we continue to carry all these players who aren't playing well?

If you want another season of Rooney at United and more of those performances then fair enough, but if you don't then I guess you are just a modern fan.

This applies to more than just Rooney in the squad and if the Arsenal performance, Swansea performance (and countless draws that Rooney didn't start/play) are anything to go by then we should be getting rid of and replacing most of the squad this summer. In my opinion, Mkhitaryan has been almost as disappointing as di Maria in his first season.

beno619 wrote: »

All crap again, it must be said. Just like in recent games once we fell behind I knew we were done, we simply do not have an attacking threat worth a damn.

I said a few times that if Zlatan was ever missing it would give others the chance to step up and show what they can do. And we have been absolutely toothless since Zlatan got injured, so I guess we have an answer. We simply cannot hope to compete relying on two kids and a faded legend to score the goals, and we most definitely cannot go into next season with the same situation.

Some people think the squad is fine and we should be competing for titles as it is, but unless we properly address the strikers next season we will be staying in 5th place. That means Rooney out, Rashford and Martial developing as backup players and some senior attackers coming in to find goals.

Rarely in this thread do people take what you say at face value. Always will be twisted and manipulated by some of the more confrontational posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

LOL like Man U have been found out AGAIN this year, 3 out of 4 seasons finishing outside of top 4

Nearly as bad as 28 out of 28 seasons without winning the league.

Sorry, forgot LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The front 6 were sh*te but the set up of the team did not help matters.

Did Tuanzebe make it into the oppositions half all day?

This applies to more than just Rooney in the squad and if the Arsenal performance, Swansea performance (and countless draws that Rooney didn't start/play) are anything to go by then we should be getting rid of and replacing most of the squad this summer. In my opinion, Mkhitaryan has been almost as disappointing as di Maria in his first season.

So what? His post was about Rooney and people disrespecting his legendary status.

But yes, Rooney is not the only player underperforming. His situation is different to a lot of players though, he is neither a young player learning the game nor a new player learning the league, he is an older player who has shown a marked decline over a number of seasons.

Nobody is playing well but the question is what do we do next season. Do we dump Rooney or give him another chance? Do we dump Martial or give him another chance? Do we dump Mkhitaryan or give him another chance? All things considered and with all the context the answers to those three questions are not the same.

• Advertisement

• beno619 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised by the complete overaction to what at the end of the day was a nothing game.

Very happy with Axel and Tom who looked bright for the few minutes he had. Hopefully they both get a few more minutes this season.

I get that but still disappointing to lose to Arsenal whatever way you want to put it.
    Especially in the manner in which we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone else annoyed by Rooney leaving the pitch at half time laughing and joking with the Arsenal players?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Home games and away games are different.

In case you have forgotten this team was far from first choice. Our CBs just returned from injuries and both started, that itself showed where Jose's priorities are.

2CBs returning from injury, 1RB who made his debut that was our defense.

Pogba - our best CM was rested and wasn't even brought on.

This was Mata's first start/game since March 19th.

Rooney who isn't played in any Europa games KO games, cup that's our highest priority.

Guess who was taken off? Herrera who was again saved for the next game.

I don't know how many ManUtd can take this game seriously when it was so clear we have given up on league and rested few key players for Europa league.

So what? His post was about Rooney and people disrespecting his legendary status.

But yes, Rooney is not the only player underperforming. His situation is different to a lot of players though, he is neither a young player learning the game nor a new player learning the league, he is an older player who has shown a marked decline over a number of seasons.

Nobody is playing well but the question is what do we do next season. Do we dump Rooney or give him another chance? Do we dump Martial or give him another chance? Do we dump Mkhitaryan or give him another chance? All things considered and with all the context the answers to those three questions are not the same.

Why is it necessary to dump any of them? I posted last week about how it's more important that we find a way to get the most out of our players, not just buy more and hope they turn out to be class. Mkhitaryan and Martial are very talented footballers and should be kept. Rooney, in my opinion, can still offer something from the bench when played in a forward position and not stuck in midfield in a team that wasn't sent out to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I get that but still disappointing to lose to Arsenal whatever way you want to put it.
    Especially in the manner in which we did.

Mick, you can't be saying that we should be prioritising EL and then give out when we lose because we Prioritised EL.

You can't have it both ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

The game went as I thought it would to be honest. I thought Arsenal would be more up for it and they were. Stings to lose to them but they were the better team.

Tuanzebe had a good game so hopefully he gets more chances over the rest of the season. The forwards were poor all round. The game may have been entirely different had Rooney squared the loose ball instead of shooting, but that's the only real chance I remember United having. It looked to me like Rooney was trying his hardest but things just weren't working out for him.

Rooney, in my opinion, can still offer something from the bench when played in a forward position and not stuck in midfield in a team that wasn't sent out to win.

He hasn't offered anything of note from any position for a long time, the end result of a decline that has been apparent for a number of years now. Its sad, but its also true and its better for the club to accept that rather than keep waiting for a resurgence that just isn't coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He hasn't offered anything of note from any position for a long time, the end result of a decline that has been apparent for a number of years now. Its sad, but its also true and its better for the club to accept that rather than keep waiting for a resurgence that just isn't coming.
    What evidence is there that the club is awaiting a Rooney resurgence?

One of the positives I take from this season is how Mourinho has handled phasing Rooney out of the starting XI without much hullabaloo.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What evidence is there that the club is awaiting a Rooney resurgence?

None whatsoever thankfully, like I say I think his last few games have put the nail in the coffin for Rooney.

I was responding to those few who think he has done and is doing ok.

Except Rooney is phased out with minimal fuss. He isn't starting any of our important games and there isn't any outrage over that.

What you said was true under Van Gaal but not under Jose.

You're in no position to be LOL about league finishes. When was the last time ye won the league? What have ye achieved this season, in Klopps second season? Ye should be expecting more from his second season. Imo ye're further away from a title challenge than we are. Let's have a look next season and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lord almighty, the cringe when people come in to an opposing teams thread and LOL at them.
    Sorry about that.....

zerks wrote: »
    Am I right in saying we haven't scored an away goal against a top 6 team in the EPL this season?

Think I saw a stat last night, hope I'm remembering it, that a Jose team has not scored against a top six side in two years. That sounds ludicrous, assume it meant away fixtures.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The front 6 were sh*te but the set up of the team did not help matters.

Did Tuanzebe make it into the oppositions half all day?

I'd hardly criticise him. Our wingers barely made it into Arsenals half.

I don't expect a debutant youngster to throw two fingers to the manager and go gung ho. He likely executed the instructions he was given, as did everyone else really.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Home games and away games are different.

In case you have forgotten this team was far from first choice.

And yet was still a quality team with highly experienced players. Sorry but that is just buying into the excuses. It says it all really that an away tie at Arsenal in May being accepted as "meaningless" of how we have gone about our business this year. This season is edging on borderline disaster if I'm honest. I don't think anyone should be happily accepting yesterday as a meaningless game.

In the specific context yes, but no one should be happy about it or happy to accept it.
    I don't know how many ManUtd can take this game seriously when it was so clear we have given up on league and rested few key players for Europa league.

That entire sentence is just depressing to read.

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »
    Mick, you can't be saying that we should be prioritising EL and then give out when we lose because we Prioritised EL.

You can't have it both ways

I know, I know and yes we should have prioritized it.
    But I still hate loosing to Arsenal.

He's offered plenty of solid performances and chipped in with a few goals which is exactly what a squad player should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Manager set the tone for that lethargic lack lustre team performance., 3rd let alone 4th was there for the taking as pool, city and Arsenal are as bad as us.
    Sad to see really, .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Very disappointing but not completely surprising. Jose correctly prioritised the semi final.... didn't want anymore injuries which is correct.

If united win the europa , asides from Chelsea united will of had the Best season of an English team.

I bet united fans will be happier then City fans with Pep. Bet we are happier then spurs fans finishing second. Getting Europe by winning the europa is better then finishing 2nd and celebrating nothing other then qualification.

United went half the league season without losing, it was very much the disasterous start that had us chasing a champions league spot for the season. I would say that's progress and with a little tweaking we will be close next season.

Rightly or wrongly, I think it's harder to motivate top players to fight for anything other then a cup. Top 4 celebrations are for arsenal/Liverpool players/fans, united are correctly focusing on trophies.

Of course it would be nice to have the league as insurance for champo league but we can't expect to have everything go our way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

He's offered plenty of solid performances and chipped in with a few goals which is exactly what a squad player should be doing.

Not at €300000 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not even that bothered about the result tbh; I've long since accepted that there's a rack of players who just don't seem bothered. Rooney, Carrick, Martial, Smalling, Jones...the team where they are the focus were poor last season and were again today. You take Pogba, Bailly, Ibra...that spine goes and we struggle.

Don't know where you've been all season but we've struggled with Pogba, Bailly and Ibra playing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'd hardly criticise him. Our wingers barely made it into Arsenals half.

I don't expect a debutant youngster to throw two fingers to the manager and go gung ho. He likely executed the instructions he was given, as did everyone else really.

Im fairly sure he's criticising Jose's set up.

And yet was still a quality team with highly experienced players. Sorry but that is just buying into the excuses. It says it all really that an away tie at Arsenal in May being accepted as "meaningless" of how we have gone about our business this year. This season is edging on borderline disaster if I'm honest. I don't think anyone should be happily accepting yesterday as a meaningless game.

In the specific context yes, but no one should be happy about it or happy to accept it.

That entire sentence is just depressing to read.

It was meaningless. We had Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton away in the last 4 games, Top 4 was gone and Europa is very much possible.

Maybe if we leave "We are ManUtd, we should win every game" cliche and think with bit of context then it would be helpful.

It would be foolishness to play strong team when we have Semi finals away leg on thursday. Players like Bailly, Valencia, Pogba are clearly tired, why play them in league game and risk injuries? Or even accumulation of fatigue?

beno619 wrote: »
    Im fairly sure he's criticising Jose's set up.

Sorry yeah throwing another eye over it see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Meh... I was expecting yesterday's result.

Roll on Thursday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement