Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

#Don'tMentionTheWar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I wouldnt mind picking up Jamie Vardy as a third choice striker (whether hed be content with that role is another thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Think Defoe has more to his game than Hernandez.

Better hold up play, better link up with other players,

Hernandez is way more of a fox in the box than Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pro. F wrote: »
    We shouldn't take Defoe even on a free imo. Jose's style needs strikers who can do target man work and/or run about a lot. Defoe won't be either, so better off without him.

If the squad is going to built for Jose, it needs to be done with a big eye on athleticism.
    This is a reasonable argument and far better than Defoe is sh*t/I want another superstar to sit on the bench/I want a youth prospect to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He has been treated really well by Jose, treated with respect and given plenty of changes to turn his form around.

It was hardly much of an opportunity to turn his form around. He's an attacking player with little game time recently who was put into midfield beside Carrick who is likely going to retire this summer against a very good footballing side in a game that Mourinho clearly had no plan to actually win. If our wide players are staying back to form part of a back 6 and even taking the throw ins to prevent the side from pushing too far forward as a unit then how is any midfield player supposed to work with that when the apparent aim isn't even to win the match? Can anyone really remember Carrick doing anything significant good or bad from midfield in that game? Or Herrera, apart from turning his back on the first goal?
    zerks wrote: »
    Shooting when there's a better option is bollixology from him.

Armchair analysis here. He has a split second to decide what to do. If Mata wasn't available for the pass and he went looking for one anyway instead of shooting he'd be getting crucified here for that as well.
    Look at Valencia, a limited enough skill set compared to Rooney but you could fire a ball from a cannon at him and he can control it.

Maybe, he can also hardly kick a ball with his left foot.
    From a growing list of poor performances,Sunday was one of his worst.FFS,had Fellaini not been banned,would Rooney have even gotten a start?

Probably not. People seem to have little problem with Fellaini's silly yellow card at such a crucial point in the season. Equally not much criticism for Jose who decided to get rid of two midfielders in the middle of the season and then moan about the fixture pile up and injury crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Defoe is likely leaving Sunderland on a free but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ed bid 30 million for him and make him the highest paid 35 year old in the world.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Schneiderlin asking to leave is Mourinhos fault? Or should we imprison players and refuse to sell them. I'd have liked Morgan to stay but not against his wishes. I've the same opinion of Young. Hope he stays but if he asks to go no hard feelings.

Both Morgan and Memphis wanted to leave, United perhaps should have tried to replace them but there was no way to foresee so many injuries occurring.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Because it's Jermain Defoe....we arn't talking Zlatan Ibrahimovic here. Don't get me wrong Defoe is a decent striker, but just that. I don't think the club are looking for bargain signings or someone to just make the numbers. Would be a really rubbish signing imo

I'd prefer the squad slot went to a promising striker from our youth setup.

Anyway we don't need a Defoe like signing to plug a gap. It's evident we will buy some form of striker this summer, and then have new striker, Rashford and Martial which should be plenty for the single striking slot we play.

I'd not be totally surprised if we got two strikers, Jose knowing Rashford and Martial can operate on that left side. So Defoe wouldn't even fit into the squad.

Jesus lads. Jermaine Defoe, that's up there with calls for James McCarthy a few years ago haha.

Are you familiar with the squad rules? Defoe is English. Thats a major factor no one is noticing. Galactico's like Greizmann/Morata are not English. We are at least loosing Rooney and Carrick with question marks over Shaw/Jones/Smalling. Most English players have over inflated 20m + price tags. Defoe wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind picking up Jamie Vardy as a third choice striker (whether hed be content with that role is another thing).

Leicester wont sell him for anything less than 30-40 Million even if he kicked up a fuss about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

All this crap about how jose is treating players but we hear no leaks or snide remarks in the media. They really must be afraid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Both Morgan and Memphis wanted to leave, United perhaps should have tried to replace them but there was no way to foresee so many injuries occurring.

It was called out plenty of times when the sale was pending and then happened.

It left our midfield with Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba. Schweinsteiger, well we didn't know the story there.

Four midfielders to cope with at the time EFL Cup, FA Cup, League and Europa League.

It was so abundantly obvious a bad call. While Jose publicly was saying how he cannot stop players from leaving that arn't in his plans, as was also muted at the time, he has a responsibility to manage a squad and have the team competing. And this club, expects competition on all four fronts, every season.

His summer clearout and January exists has backfired on him spectacularly. The fact he keeps talking about fatigue and fixture congestion is mental. I'd have thought as a clever man he'd keep his head down on this one, as it's absolutely entirely of his own making.

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Schneiderlin asking to leave is Mourinhos fault? Or should we imprison players and refuse to sell them. I'd have liked Morgan to stay but not against his wishes. I've the same opinion of Young. Hope he stays but if he asks to go no hard feelings.
    Look I know you're frustrated, I really do. But we have a lot of games coming and they will come thick and fast. Players need resting, injuries will happen and you will get a chance. Then it's down to you, to take it and show me what you've got.

I can't let you go at the moment as I can't get in the cover, but work with me on this. I will give you chances. We can sit down end of season and have another talk, and if you don't think the situation has improved, we can work to get you the move that you want and is right for the club

Likely conversation conducted by every manager ever in professional football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Are we seriously discussing signing 35 year old (early next season) Jermaine Defoe?

I mean, we're being wound up here right?

Right??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think if Mourinho had rotated the squad a bit more in the first half of the season and given Schneiderlin and Memphis some more game time they may have beeb happy to work the season out. I thought there were many games, especially in the EL where Mourinho could have used a few of the players more - and not relied on Ibrahimovic and Pogba, for example, to start basically every match.

Are you familiar with the squad rules? Defoe is English. Thats a major factor no one is noticing. Galactico's like Greizmann/Morata are not English. We are at least loosing Rooney and Carrick with question marks over Shaw/Jones/Smalling. Most English players have over inflated 20m + price tags. Defoe wouldn't.

Signing Defoe to cover squad rules? Come on now....thats scrapping the barrel.

There is players that can be promoted that would constitute homegrown and our squad looks like it will have a few next season. Like I said, the tail end of the squad list is typically youngster promoted, so you always get covered there on the regulations.

And I'd rather our 23rd,24th or 25th spot went to a promoted youngster, than Jermaine Defoe.

On the defoe/english talk - I reckon we are going to sign Michael Keane (heard its done) for those reason. Would count as Club Home Grown too I think, if he does sign.

I think if Mourinho had rotated the squad a bit more in the first half of the season and given Schneiderlin and Memphis some more game time they may have beeb happy to work the season out. I thought there were many games, especially in the EL where Mourinho could have used a few of the players more - and not relied on Ibrahimovic and Pogba, for example, to start basically every match.

Yeah on reflection I think he had in his head coming in those two were just gone. They got next to no chances. Pretty wasteful on reflection. Scheniderlan has looked good anytime I've seen him since and Memphis seems to have settled well in Lyon.

Everton fan behind me in work and calls him the greatest gift I ever got him :D

jayo26 wrote: »
    All this crap about how jose is treating players but we hear no leaks or snide remarks in the media. They really must be afraid of him.

There has been plenty throughout the season......

I'd imagine the reality is that it's clear internally Jose is there next season regardless of what happens regarding Champions League qualification, and the leaky players have likely just accepted they are on the way out.

Still time to go for a good few spills :D

To be honest I'd be shocked if one of the first things on Mourinho's intray was a meeting with our press sec and communications department to find what has being going on with all those leaks, what is being done about it, and getting it nipped in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jesus lads. Jermaine Defoe, that's up there with calls for James McCarthy a few years ago haha.
    You only have to go back a week or so for someone calling for Darren Randolph to replace DDG. Which I can only assume must have been a joke.

If not... Randolph, Defoe, James McCarthy... what would Man Utd squad look like if certain boardsies had their way!? :D :eek:

• Advertisement

On the defoe/english talk - I reckon we are going to sign Michael Keane (heard its done) for those reason. Would count as Club Home Grown too I think, if he does sign.

That's the sort of player being signed for that reason I can kind of except. Not sure where I sit on Keane, I think it was right he was sold (hindsight is a wonderful thing, but don't remember there being much rave about him at all) and the first team football has accelerated his development, which he wouldn't have got with us.

At an age with plenty of time to get better, and how he took to his England debut was pretty impressive. Would somewhat trust Mourinho when it comes to singing defenders also.

Really hope for an efficent and ruthless summer. Griezemann has saga written all over it. I havn't bought into the "done deal" as many places report, and I won't be surprised if we sit here in September and he is not part of our squad. Something about that signing doesnt fit into Mourinho for me at all, unless there is some plan in his head that is a drastic change next season.

Signing Defoe to cover squad rules? Come on now....thats scrapping the barrel.

There is players that can be promoted that would constitute homegrown and our squad looks like it will have a few next season. Like I said, the tail end of the squad list is typically youngster promoted, so you always get covered there on the regulations.

And I'd rather our 23rd,24th or 25th spot went to a promoted youngster, than Jermaine Defoe.

Are you not the same lad thats whinging over squad depth in midfield? We had McTominay promoted the last day. So which is it that you want? Is it unhappy experienced players like Morgan filling the squad or youths like McTominay? You are advocating both now.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You only have to go back a week or so for someone calling for Darren Randolph to replace DDG. Which I can only assume must have been a joke.

If not... Randolph, Defoe, James McCarthy... what would Man Utd squad look like if certain boardsies had their way!? :D :eek:

Apart from some people being bat **** crazy, bias towards Irish players and wanting them on our books (I'd argue there is just no Irish player good enough for United, not even Coleman) sometimes I think people forget how outrageously rich and wealthy the club is, or there is some reward or prize for making "an astute signing".

We are past the days of Fergie having to be uber clever and shrewd through a period because the finance wasn't always there (Well I believe anyway there wasn't transfer funds there as we would have been led believe) but its really there now, and we should be flexing our muscle to get top talent, not stop gaps.

And before anyone even fares, Defoe is nowhere near the Zlatan situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/voetbalshirtjes/status/861661889159475200

Have this shirt a while now,it's a nice jersey.

Billy86 wrote: »

Courtois- Carvajal, Marquinhos, Ramos, Alaba, Kroos, Bakayoko James, Griezmann, Morata, Dybala probably. Realism be damned. Galacticos all the way.

There has been plenty throughout the season......

I'd imagine the reality is that it's clear internally Jose is there next season regardless of what happens regarding Champions League qualification, and the leaky players have likely just accepted they are on the way out.

Still time to go for a good few spills :D

To be honest I'd be shocked if one of the first things on Mourinho's intray was a meeting with our press sec and communications department to find what has being going on with all those leaks, what is being done about it, and getting it nipped in the bud.

The biggest leaks were seemingly from shaws camp and he has came out and said he is happy and determined to fight for his future.

I'm sure they are players unhappy but they could also maybe see where he is coming from we don't know what's been said internally maybe he has made it clear he won't hold back.

https://twitter.com/voetbalshirtjes/status/861661889159475200

Have this shirt a while now,it's a nice jersey.

I love it I like that it's alot more simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Keeping Morgan Schneiderlin wouldn't have made one blind bit of difference to our run-in, he would have sat on the bench just as he did for the first half of the season.

Pogba got rested, Felliani was banned and TFM got a freak injury, so that meant Rooney had to play another game in midfield, big deal, thats not a situation that vitally required keeping a player who black and white stated he wanted to leave.

(Also, its funny how Rooney in midfield is now a problem despite plenty of people frequently stating he can play midfield and should transition there as he grew older...)

I would have preferred Scheiderlin to stay at the club as a genuine and contributing squad option, but lets not use his absence as a reason for our recent struggles, he wouldn't have mattered at all to our 45 missing defenders and very little to our oh so clinical attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not sure where I sit on Keane

3c397ce730cdbe9749ac331529d73390.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Listen Jose, I have made up my mind and want to join Everton where I can play every single game. I don't want to be rotational player as that's not good enough for my career at club level and for National team. Surely you don't want unhappy player in your squad? This is a great chance for me to get regular playing time at big enough club which might not happen again in Summer. So yes, I have made up my mind, thanks for your time.

Very likely answer he might have got.

Making arguments with imaginary conversation is just laughable. You don't even know what happened behind the scenes, just typing some generic words like everyone fills their CV and assuming that would work is just laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Defoe?! Seriously lads

There's already a video announcing it they could reuse...

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Very likely answer he might have got.

Making arguments with imaginary conversation is just laughable. You don't even know what happened behind the scenes, just typing some generic words like everyone fills their CV and assuming that would work is just laughable.

Yeah sorry you are right. There is just so scenario where a player unhappy with playing time can be talked into hanging on for a few months longer to help the club or squad.

Cause the January window is just an absolute stampede of players moving when they havn't started or played loads in the first half of the season.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Are you not the same lad thats whinging over squad depth in midfield? We had McTominay promoted the last day. So which is it that you want? Is it unhappy experienced players like Morgan filling the squad or youths like McTominay? You are advocating both now.

Good point. Don't know who to agree with now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As regards Michael Keane I hope that they included some kind of reduced buy back clause in his sale contract.....

If not it shows we really learned nothing from selling Pogba.

As regards Michael Keane I hope that they included some kind of reduced buy back clause in his sale contract.....

We never sold Pogba, Free transfer

• Advertisement

percentage of his sell on fee is what was included, as far as I am aware. I think Memphis is the first one to have a buy back fee.

That's the sort of player being signed for that reason I can kind of except. Not sure where I sit on Keane, I think it was right he was sold (hindsight is a wonderful thing, but don't remember there being much rave about him at all) and the first team football has accelerated his development, which he wouldn't have got with us.

At an age with plenty of time to get better, and how he took to his England debut was pretty impressive. Would somewhat trust Mourinho when it comes to singing defenders also.

Really hope for an efficent and ruthless summer. Griezemann has saga written all over it. I havn't bought into the "done deal" as many places report, and I won't be surprised if we sit here in September and he is not part of our squad. Something about that signing doesnt fit into Mourinho for me at all, unless there is some plan in his head that is a drastic change next season.

Talksport and various newpapers stating that Liverpool are close to signing him! Hope not!

percentage of his sell on fee is what was included, as far as I am aware. I think Memphis is the first one to have a buy back fee.

How would that work if we signed him again....get that % off the fee?

We never sold Pogba, Free transfer

Did we not get a set of jerseys for him!

Sky Said he had a buy back clause a few weeks ago during the game. Dont know how accurate that is though

• Advertisement

How would that work if we signed him again....get that % off the fee?

I would guess a notional agree would be made at say 25million - and if we have a 20% sell on fee we will simply pay them 20million with no money coming back. That is how I hear the deal is being brokered anyway.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Talksport and various newpapers stating that Liverpool are close to signing him! Hope not!

Grand sure we get a large chunk of Liverpool's money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Reports a few weeks back were that united would waive the fee if they sold back to them.

So Burnley would get all the fee instead of 75%.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Reports a few weeks back were that united would waive the fee if they sold back to them.

So Burnley would get all the fee instead of 75%.

I read it would simply be considered a zero sum part of the transaction and not result in payment in either direction. Would seem very odd that United would agree to pay 25% more (for example) than any accepted bid by Liverpool (for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Why do some people think it's an agenda against Rooney? He's been sh!te for years now what you thinks gonna happen he'll just suddenly become the player he once was?

Rooney is well past his prime, has been for a while. Looks so off the pace and his concentration levels have dropped massively. Great servant to the club but hes done at the top level.

I referenced the midfield today, in response to a post outlining how could anyone cater for the issues that arose with injuries, and simply outlined at the time in January it was highlighted as a risky move and potentially not sensible letting first team players go while being in four competitions.

It's not "whinging". The squad management has been a pretty clear issue.

There is no advocating both or a choice there. You can include under 21/acadamy players in your match day squad at will, with no limit. That is why McTominay was there. There was a spot to fill on the bench so he was promoted. We didn't omit a first team senior player for him to come in.

I was questioning the logic in signing Jermaine Defoe to sit in our squad registration at 23/24/25 when you can have better squad players utilised, or on a match day bring in a academy striker for a bench spot or something along those lines.

This is somewhat premised by Mourinhos supposed preference for the likes of a 23man senior squad, even though we entered the season with 25 and currently operate at like 22/23 excluding what you would consider promotions from youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

It's contingent on them getting champions league football, so if they don't, then we sign him.

The defence is not our priority positions, it's our attack which is woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

But he doesn't play for Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh I really hope that is the real jersey for next season. It looks lovely! It actually looks very similar to my favourite Nike one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement