Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Celta will probably go hung ho from the start to try and get a goal and that will play into Our hands as Jose will probably play Lingard, Martial and Rashford up top.

I'd go with

Martial-Rashford-Lingard
    -Pogba-Fellaini-
    -Herrera-
    Darmian-blind-Bailly-Val
    -Romero-

What if the score first tho :(:( aaaarrrrrrrhhhh I don't wanna do this anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool and City have top 4 wrapped up, Arsenal wont win 3 remaining games.

Stoke and Sunderland already look like they are on holidays, and by the last day of the season Everton will probably have nothing to play for. It wouldn't surprise me to see them in 4th at 5pm on the last day of the season.

I would have more confidence in them picking up full points from their matches than I would Liverpool

jayo26 wrote: »
    What if the score first tho :(:( aaaarrrrrrrhhhh I don't wanna do this anymore.

We can bring on Wayne

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Agree Pool and City are home and hosed.100% .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Right folks, match thread is up & done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Utd will win tonight of that I am sure (pains me to say it as a Pool fan),
    Seems certain that Ajax will get through, they do look a dangerous prospect, much better than I though a few months back

Funnily enough I've a Liverpool supporting friend who said the exact same thing :pac:

Football, especially knockout games obviously are a game of 2 halves, you'd think Ajax will go through comfortably, but look at Atletico Madrid last night, 2-0 up in 20 minutes...

TL;DR Anything can happen, Ajax could easily do a PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It must be a tactical move on Rooney's part (no doubt advised by his agent) coming out saying he wants to stay at Utd ' and play games'.

Is he looking for Utd to buy out his contract so that they can get his huge wages off the payload?

Even though he is a club legend he is pitiful these days,looked like and played like a pub player against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

yabadabado wrote: »

Agree Pool and City are home and hosed.100% .

I'd quite like to see everything decided after game week 37. Liverpool and City to get CL and Hull relegated, just to see how Sky try to build up the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It must be a tactical move on Rooney's part (no doubt advised by his agent) coming out saying he wants to stay at Utd ' and play games'.

Was he not asked the question, so what else was he going to say?

"I'm sick of it here and can't wait to get the hell out..."

That would go down really well I'm sure!

Is he looking for Utd to buy out his contract so that they can get his huge wages off the payload?

Even though he is a club legend he is pitiful these days,looked like and played like a pub player against Arsenal.
    I thought he was perfectly fine in that interview. Said he wanted to stay and play games but realises that may not happen.

Not like he can bad mouth club/manager in the presser.

Was he not asked the question, so what else was he going to say?

"I'm sick of it here and can't wait to get the hell out..."

That would go down really well I'm sure!

He basically was saying he wants to play games n that and then the journalist asked "here?" And his answer was "of course"

It's mental the reports that came from it tbh it was a nothing answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

When you buy out a contract, it generally means paying all moneys owed. Stumping up all the money doesn't get him off the wage bill, it just advances a good chunk of that wage bill.

If he wants to leave as he is no longer good enough to play regularly, grand - don't stand in his way after all he has done for the club, but there is no way we should pay out the rest of his huge contract. He wants to play football and he won't be playing much at United. United hold the cards on this one. The club have paid him enough money over the years IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Keane bashing the special one again, tbf it's hard to argue with his points.
    Considering the squad Utd have they should have sleep walked into the top 4 and certainly at least challenged for the title

http://www.football365.com/news/keane-blasts-mourinho-united-for-embarrassing-season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Club captain at press conference that he is probably obligated to attend before a big game says, in response to a question that he has no control over, that he wants to remain at the club that he's currently captain of.

I reckon you can take the tinfoil hat off for now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Keane bashing the special one again, tbf it's hard to argue with his points. Considering the squad Utd have they should have sleep walked into the top 4 and certainly at least challenged for the title

Is this the part where I'm supposed to post the link to Ronnie Whelan saying that Klopp is leading a charmed life and should be getting way more stick for how the team is performing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

mewe wrote: »
    Is this the part where I'm supposed to post the link to Ronnie Whelan saying that Klopp is leading a charmed life and should be getting way more stick for how the team is performing?

Both teams are underperforming to be fair. Pool though, need a lot more work in the summer esp if they lose any of their stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

astradave wrote: »
    Sunderland already look like they are on holidays
    tell Hull !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Like this answer from Henry Winter in today's Times webcast:

Comment From Joe 
    Why are so many other fans obsessed with Man Utd? The rhetoric appears to be stronger now that Mourinho is in charge. Is it jealously or an English obsession to moan about something? Fair enough if we were dominating the title year after year as per the Fergie years, but we've finished 7th, 4th, 5th, and probably 6th this year.

Henry Winter: 

In my experience, most fans are convinced everyone has it in for their club. But, yes, United have always stirred strong emotions, Joe. Even going back pre Fergie when they weren't winning. Some of it is jealousy, the power of United financially, the size of the stadium. Some of it is concern that United represent parts of the modern game that are unappealing. Personally, I've always found them a strong football club with a megastore attached, not the other way around. It is had to be said that the passion they arouse is phenomenal; United fans on the road are an incredibly powerful force. You see them and realise the size of the club. It's huge. That's Mourinho should be a good fit, because he's not daunted by the size. Mourinho will always stir criticism, and he says some daft things, which are best ignoring but he's driven and, given the resources he can call upon, will revive United. He's given them some of their old swagger back. But I come back to this...yes, United are huge, frequently perceived as arrogant, but if you go down to Carrington, talk to the staff, chat to the players, they're pretty grounded, honoured to be representing such a famous club, and there's a real unity there. It's not all gleaming megastores, and prawn sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Considering the squad Utd have they should have sleep walked into the top 4 and certainly at least challenged for the title

http://www.football365.com/news/keane-blasts-mourinho-united-for-embarrassing-season

Bang on the money from Captain Fantastic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

mewe wrote: »

It's not meant to be tit for tat, personally I think Klopp has done as good as could be expected considering the squad he has.

Mourinho and the Man U squad have massively unperformed in the League this year surly you can agree

Mourinho and the Man U squad have massively unperformed in the League this year surly you can agree

Absolutely, almost 3 times the wage bill of spurs and 12 points behind them. Says it all really.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blame goes to Mourinho and the players - there have been a load of games where the reason we didn't win is because they couldn't finish the chances. It wasn't down to conservative set up and a defensive game player - there have been games we dominated, created loads in, and scored none or one, and ended up drawing the game because of player mistakes.

The City and Arsenal games recently would be ones I would think Mourinho's approach was a big part of the reason we didn't win, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/sean_hansford/status/862639795859795973

Same colours as City but more of them and better atmosphere:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That Barkley situation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Jose's comment that tonight's match is the 'most important in the club's history' (I can think of at least 10 more important and I would imagine that there is closer to 20) sums him up really as an egotistical charlatan whose best years are behind him

patmac wrote: »
    Jose's comment that tonight's match is the 'most important in the club's history' (I can think of at least 10 more important and I would imagine that there is closer to 20) sums him up really as an egotistical charlatan whose best years are behind him

Shocking quote for him to come up with if true

Just got around to watching the press conference there from yesterday and I actually don't know which is the more dramatic the press or some posters in here...

First of all I thought Rooney was excellent in what he said he was pushed on his opinion and his future four times and finally said of course he wants to stay but he also threw in he wants to play football. Now if the man had an agenda he would of had that straight off the bat he was patient with the nonsense.

Next on jose and his comments about the biggest game in clubs history I don't even think some of ye seen it or understood what he was on about and I'm far from and expert but I could see what he ment.

He was basically asked because celta think this is the biggest game in their history where does it rank in United's and are United as motivated for it as celta?

He replied in meaning that the games that have gone are in history now they can't be changed but the next game is always the biggest game in the club's history because it can be changed and that his side were just as motivated as delta.

He said his players were working hard in training to ensure they didn't take anything for granted and they were going to fight to make it to the final.

I don't see any of his comments as anything to do with his ego they were honest comments to the usual questions he faces 10 tines a week from the press.

Jose does have a large ego but so does all the top managers you have to have belief in yourself and your decisions you can't run a team worth so much and not be decisive no manager would last it is why moyes failed if he had believe in himself to make big decisions he may of lasted longer.

And also on the crap about jose moaning about injuries yes he does have a moan but he was asked yesterday about taking a gamble on the Europa league blah blah blah and I agree with him I said it here last week too he didn't just gamble on the Europa league he tried to beat arsenal but the players that played Thursday night last week that he rested would not of been fresh enough enough to play 90 minutes against arsenal on Sunday so he had to make changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's not meant to be tit for tat, personally I think Klopp has done as good as could be expected considering the squad he has.

How many of our squad would get in Liverpools first team do you reckon.

Its an overstatement for sure but do you not think thats a big over statement there yourself?

Pot calling the kettle black.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    How many of our squad would get in Liverpools first team do you reckon.
    Of the top of my head, De Gea, Bailly, Pogba (just about), Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Herrera and Zlatan if he was fit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Of the top of my head, De Gea, Bailly, Pogba (just about), Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Herrera

You left out Valencia as well tbf, he's made a huge step up in quality this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Absolutely, almost 3 times the wage bill of spurs and 12 points behind them. Says it all really.

I do agree that finishing outside the top 4 is not good enough, but that's because of the quality of the manager and the players, not the wage bill. Wages bill is not a good indication of performance. Whether Ibrahimovic gets £50,000, or £300,000 his performance will be the same.

You can argue that better deals could be done with other players or clubs, but it's a bi-product of the success of the field. If everyone knows you are very powerful financially, they will drive a harder bargain. Particularly when they know the club is desperate to be successful and the club think the player in question will help achieve that. Plus, realistically the club need to offer some more incentives if they don't offer Champions League.

Also, at the end of the season, Spurs will have Champions League, but United may have 2 trophies, Champions League and much higher revenue.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its an overstatement for sure but do you not think thats a big over statement there yourself?

Pot calling the kettle black.

What? I'm not the self styled 'Special one' getting paid million's to manage the biggest club in the world and send everyone asleep on a Sunday afternoon by playing the most boring football ever played by a United team.
    I have been following Man United since 1968 and I have never been more disillusioned after watching his antics this year even when we got relegated in 73 and were playing in front of 22,000 at OT in the late 80's.

VW 1 wrote: »
    You left out Valencia as well tbf, he's made a huge step up in quality this season.

Meh, no better than Clyne IMHO

Dead right above vettle the reason too four was always so important was because of the ticket into champions league and the revenue but we still have 2 games left where if we draw one and win the next we could exceed what every club apart from Chelsea has done this season.

It's the same with pool some of the fans have their knickers in a twist incase they miss out on top four. They are in prime position to do it now wait till end of season to judge they only need two wins from two easy games to guarantee fourth spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    That Barkley situation....

"Either he accepts the contract or we sell the player," said Koeman.

"But if you need so much time then you have doubts - I like to work with players who like to stay."

The Dutchman said the Everton board had tried "for a long time" to get Barkley to sign and were already looking at replacements in attacking positions.

He added: "We don't wait till August - next weekend we need an answer."

I just haven't seen enough consistent quality from him to justify us splashing out megabucks for an overhyped English player.

What? I'm not the self styled 'Special one' getting paid million's to manage the biggest club in the world and send everyone asleep on a Sunday afternoon by playing the most boring football ever played by a United team.
    I have been following Man United since 1968 and I have never been more disillusioned after watching his antics this year even when we got relegated in 73 and were playing in front of 22,000 at OT in the late 80's.

They are your feelings and your totally entitled to them but what you said about what jose said yesterday in press conference was total bull you either didn't watch it or you choose to completly twist it to suit what you wanted him to say.

Also if you think this season is more boring then last year you really should have a look at last season again while results wise we may not be that far off them but what United played last year and year before was the worst football by any top side in the premiership in my 25 odd years of following football it was toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

zerks wrote: »

"But if you need so much time then you have doubts - I like to work with players who like to stay."

The Dutchman said the Everton board had tried "for a long time" to get Barkley to sign and were already looking at replacements in attacking positions.

I just haven't seen enough consistent quality from him to justify us splashing out megabucks for an overhyped English player.

Would have to agree, he's not worth the 30 odd mill they'd probaly want for him. I'd struggle to fit him in the first 11. If we are going english, Dier would fit the bill for me personally.

• Advertisement

I imagine you havent watched too many Jose pressers this year or your stuck in 2006, judging by your "self styled special one" comment. He hasnt used that term in donkeys years.

This years team is improved from last years team and heading in the right direction. If youve watched United since 1968, as youve claimed, Id imagine theres far worse seasons in that time than last years, with the most recent season being last years (my opinion granted). Since Moyes Ive found it hard to watch United play until this year. Things are far from perfect, but the club is going in the right direction.

If you have personal problems with Jose, fine, but I believe he has begun taking the team in the right direction and that job cant be judged after 1 season.

zerks wrote: »

Think I've seen enough that a competent manager could mould a monster player there. Not sure I'd believe Mourinho could do it to be honest.

But at 23, he has basically all the attributes required. Decision making is his big flaw, and that just gets better with age.

Also don't think it would be "megabucks". You might not get Everton to sell, but you'd get him for about 25-33m imo with only a year left on his contract.

Actually think he is leaving them, and with all the Totenham links he would be stupid not to go there. Club on the proper up and up, champions league football and a coach with a proven track record of improving players.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I do agree that finishing outside the top 4 is not good enough, but that's because of the quality of the manager and the players, not the wage bill. Wages bill is not a good indication of performance. Whether Ibrahimovic gets £50,000, or £300,000 his performance will be the same.

You can argue that better deals could be done with other players or clubs, but it's a bi-product of the success of the field. If everyone knows you are very powerful financially, they will drive a harder bargain. Particularly when they know the club is desperate to be successful and the club think the player in question will help achieve that. Plus, realistically the club need to offer some more incentives if they don't offer Champions League.

Also, at the end of the season, Spurs will have Champions League, but United may have 2 trophies, Champions League and much higher revenue.

There's a big correlation between the biggest wage bills and teams finishing towards the top of the league going back years now.

If we win the europa league then it will be a decent season no doubt. But 6th position won't cut the mustard next season. We have the most expensive squad ever essembled so top 4 should be a minimum requirement.

Same points as Van Gaal after 35 games, given all the money spent since is not a good performance imo, similar performances next year and the knives will be out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

beakerjoe wrote: »

If you have personal problems with Jose, fine, but I believe he has begun taking the team in the right direction and that job cant be judged after 1 season.

Think it's worth remembering that the team going in the right direction is personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong answer. There is a "potential" answer, but it likely wouldn't be accepted and debated against by intangibles.

Sometimes get the impression those that argue against "going in the right direction" are being portrayed as being wrong, without anything being tangible.

Like for me, I don't think the team has improved and I don't believe there to be satisfactory progression. But then I focus more on results and league position over how happy or excited I get watching the team. I believe they can go hand in hand and don't think they are mutually exclusive.

I'm not as strongly believing as others as to how disgraceful it's being, and I'm not as overly positive as to how well it's gone.

I think that it's because its Mourinho, and the way discussions about him go, there are either venomous attacks on him not being good enough, or passionate defences he has been good.

I'm personifying this at present with Ken Early. I'm not a massive fan of his, but he was an early voice that seemed to mirror what my thoughts were. Starting off with the Mihikitaryian thing. But as the season has gone on, I've noticed its not just an agenda with him. He is pure bias and tailors and twists every situation to be a Jose negative and seems to frequently be dumbfounded as to how people are accepting the situation. But because he is becoming so venomous and obviously bias, he's lost the genuine good points and issues he has/raised and instead it's not just bluffed of as an anti-Jose agenda

Think it's worth remembering that the team going in the right direction is personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong answer. There is a "potential" answer, but it likely wouldn't be accepted and debated against by intangibles.

Sometimes get the impression those that argue against "going in the right direction" are being portrayed as being wrong, without anything being tangible.

Like for me, I don't think the team has improved and I don't believe there to be satisfactory progression. But then I focus more on results and league position over how happy or excited I get watching the team. I believe they can go hand in hand and don't think they are mutually exclusive.

I'm not as strongly believing as others as to how disgraceful it's being, and I'm not as overly positive as to how well it's gone.

I think that it's because its Mourinho, and the way discussions about him go, there are either venomous attacks on him not being good enough, or passionate defences he has been good.

I'm personifying this at present with Ken Early. I'm not a massive fan of his, but he was an early voice that seemed to mirror what my thoughts were. Starting off with the Mihikitaryian thing. But as the season has gone on, I've noticed its not just an agenda with him. He is pure bias and tailors and twists every situation to be a Jose negative and seems to frequently be dumbfounded as to how people are accepting the situation. But because he is becoming so venomous and obviously bias, he's lost the genuine good points and issues he has/raised and instead it's not just bluffed of as an anti-Jose agenda

Fair enough, I just long for the old days when we used to hammer teams playing attractive football or just playing attractive football would be nice. This years league is one of the worst in terms of quality yet we are going to finish 6th, and the sad thing is I can't see Jose playing anything but negative football and setting up not to lose in the future, that's his way not the United way.

Fair enough, I just long for the old days when we used to hammer teams playing attractive football or just playing attractive football would be nice. This years league is one of the worst in terms of quality yet we are going to finish 6th, and the sad thing is I can't see Jose playing anything but negative football and setting up not to lose in the future, that's his way not the United way.

United under Jose is a work in progress though and I disagree that our problem is negative football. Only against the big teams away from home have we been negative.

Hes finding his feet with the players he inherited, seeing what works and what doesnt work. It hasn't been perfect, I'll grant you that as he have problems (If I had a main gripe it would be scoring goals in games we have dominated, esp at home.)

Ill agree the quality of football isnt in the same league as the best of Fergie, but we are much more fun to watch this season than we were under Moyes and LVG, and that improvement is down to Jose IMO.

I still look at this season as a failure if we end up sixth and without Champs Lge football, but if we do win another trophy and get UCL football as a result, it will be a big improvement on last year.

I long for the days of beating teams like we did years ago too, but lets be realistic. Jose plus 4 new players isnt going to write the wrongs of Moyes and LVG in one season, but I think we have improved.

• Advertisement

Think I've seen enough that a competent manager could mould a monster player there. Not sure I'd believe Mourinho could do it to be honest.

Why do believe Jose couldn't do it ?

Ive seen enough from Barkley to say hes not good enough. Hes has potential, no doubt but I just don't see him realizing it. I hope he goes to City or Spurs

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why do believe Jose couldn't do it ?

I'd be one of those who questions his ability to develop young players to maximise their potential.

Just don't think its something he is good at.

Not long now, Im full of Nerves.....

tenor.gif

I'm actually fine for the match. Although am suffering with the fear from a work night out last night :'(

But really don't see any issues after watching the first leg. They got talked up big and they looked pretty poor.

And sure lads come on, specialists in home draws, we are going through:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement