Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Even if they do beat Lyon it's going to be an group stage exit for this side in next seasons CL. So so far off elite standard at the moment.

D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Even if they do beat Lyon it's going to be an group stage exit for this side in next seasons CL. So so far off elite standard at the moment.

Who beats what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Did someone select the restart match option for the Lyon and Ajax second leg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, excuses need to end, I'm not buying this rebuilding lark either.

Jose loves a good excuse but he needs to stop hiding behind them and take responsibility for the performances.

So when do the players take responsibility for their performances the last 4 years? Jose is no miracle worker, hes taken over a big club with a squad of above average players who dont have the winning mentality, hes not going to remedy that over one season, get real.

You just want to blame the manager. I cant imagine another manager doing a better job with the players at his disposal. Look at our back 4, Its very weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39894023

Stadium in Stockholm holds 50,000.United were allocate 9,500 tickets.Ajax got the same.Laughable seeing as they cut the clubs allocations from what they got last year.

zerks wrote: »

Stadium in Stockholm holds 50,000.United were allocate 9,500 tickets.Ajax got the same.Laughable seeing as they cut the clubs allocations from what they got last year.

Less than 20000 fans is a joke.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Less than 20000 fans is a joke.

Corporate suits more important than real fans at major events as usual,this will just facilitate touts.

Did anybody post this?

40361F7500000578-4497444-image-a-63_1494534439147.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I didn't think Liverpool or Seville got much more last year, something is telling me 12000?

Majority of tickets should be for the fans or around 45000 for this stadium.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I didn't think Liverpool or Seville got much more last year, something is telling me 12000?

Majority of tickets should be for the fans or around 45000 for this stadium.

Smaller stadium last season and Liverpool/Sevilla got 58% of the tickets.This year the clubs got 38%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Smaller stadium last season and Liverpool/Sevilla got 58% of the tickets.This year the clubs got 38%.

Ah didn't realise the capacity was smaller last year. Still not right at 58% so 38% is a joke.

Last night was the first time since Fergie was in charge that we got into treble figures for goals scored in a season.
    LVG would be horrified and Moyes would like to know how many crosses we had.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ah didn't realise the capacity was smaller last year. Still not right at 58% so 38% is a joke.

CapturePNG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is Bailly red worth appealing, one of my friends who hates united said guidetti was a disgrace going down like that

Or is it a case of Bailly put his hand to his face regardless of how much contact?

Last night was the first time since Fergie was in charge that we got into treble figures for goals scored in a season.
    LVG would be horrified and Moyes would like to know how many crosses we had.

Worse to think we should have passed it a month or 2 ago if we could finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You just want to blame the manager. I cant imagine another manager doing a better job with the players at his disposal. Look at our back 4, Its very weak.

Not at all, I blame the way the club has been run over the last few years much more than I'd blame any manager, but ultimately manager is responsible for performances on the field and Jose is no above criticism.

Again this "our defense is terrible" spiel is complete nonsense. We've the second best defensive record in the league. Smalling and Jones are both English Internationals and when fit and on form are very very good. Valencia is arguably the best right back in the league. All 3 played big roles in winning the league in 2013. We've the most expensive left back in the world. Granted he's injured but Darmien or Blind aren't exactly terrible. Best goalkeeper in the world imo.

We look terrible defensively because we're a nervous wreck on the ball and the players are all lacking confidence. Also, when we score we seem to automatically drop deep inviting the other team on. Surely Jose can at least sort that out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Hococop wrote: »
    Is Bailly red worth appealing, one of my friends who hates united said guidetti was a disgrace going down like that

Or is it a case of Bailly put his hand to his face regardless of how much contact?

No Point appealing.

But there should be an investigation into what led up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No Point appealing.

But there should be an investigation into what led up to it

Of course there is a point in appealing. There is only one game left in Europe this year and we should use any chance, however slim, to get our best defender this year into the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So when do the players take responsibility for their performances the last 4 years? Jose is no miracle worker, hes taken over a big club with a squad of above average players who dont have the winning mentality, hes not going to remedy that over one season, get real.

Our last manager seemed to do fine with it to be honest. While plenty of people were jizzing over Totenhams defensive record, we finished the season joint with them. While Alderweireld and Vertonghan received all the plaudits(and rightly so) we have Blind and Smalling doing an incredible job for most of the season. While John stones was being painted as the next Beckenbauer, we had Blind actually doing what Stones was being "portrayed" as being able to potentially do.

Jose has maintained what was there, albeit there being a slight change in personal. Some who got better under Van Gaal got worse under Mourinho and vice versa.

A post like this sums up the Mourinho crux entirely for me. It's generally the same with every coach really but just so much more pointed,focused and emphasised with Jose.

There are those that take his word, and will fall in behind what he says, and those that question his viewpoint on things and see it as bluster,deflection and generally bollox. And it's just so much more ramped up because of who he is.

Sorry but saying Jose is no miracle worker and "what do you want him to do" with this squad is what causes such friction.

You should expect a manager to make a team greater than the sum of its parts. That's what a good manager is. The fact we have great parts, and our sum is arguably static/marginally better is hardly wonderfully reflective.

The reality here is there is probably no real accurate answer, as fans are going to have their own feelings based purely on themselves if things are better, worse, cause for concern or positivity etc. But the answer being painted by neutrals is blindingly obvious. While we will debate between ourselves and form our own justifications for a positive outlook, the general narrative on the outside is pretty unanimous. Borderline disaster season.

It's a post like that, that sends me down that path where I then get painted anti-Jose, as I think the viewpoint is absolutely ludicrous. This kinda "well what did you want him to do?"

Portraying and then accepting this team as being average or mediocre is a mask up for what has been a pretty poor season, that two cups may salvage some face from.

Our squad has issues like every squad. But start of the season, I don't think you find a better one in the league. In terms of quality and strength in depth. We have good players, we have very good players and sure we have a few question marks like every squad, and we have players that opinions will differ fan to fan. And we had undoubted potential. That will be hard to fathom now considering what has happened, but I remember the positivity and hype at the start of the season, and I was part of it. There was reason for massive optimism, and I mean, league challenging optimism.

But start of season the overwhelming narrative was Mourinho spearheading our squad, regarded in most quarters as one of the strongest, was going to lead itself to a pretty good season. Wether that can still happen will be down to each fans own standards and acceptance of what is good or not.

League cup and Europa league will constitute a decent - good first season for me,but there is simply no escaping that league campaign whichever way you want to paint it. There is positives to take thus far (and regardless of the Ajax game) and there is also massive concerns. It's not extreme or the other. The likely evaluation end of season, looking from this point knowing what has happened and what can happen will be "A decent start, but it really needs to kick on next season". That is for the manager, and also players operating under this new regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ajax the home team so looks like we're wearing blue

Or the new black one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

astradave wrote: »
    Of course there is a point in appealing. There is only one game left in Europe this year and we should use any chance, however slim, to get our best defender this year into the squad

I think the law is written as "striking or attempting to strike an opponent", so there's very little chance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

My concern would be that a full review of the incident would see some other players join the suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think the law is written as "striking or attempting to strike an opponent", so there's very little chance at all.

I would eat a hat made out of wasps if Uefa rescinded that card.

It's an appeal that won't succeed, better to accept that and act accordingly, if for no other reason than to let Smalling and Jones prepare for the final without the issue hanging over them.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Not at all, I blame the way the club has been run over the last few years much more than I'd blame any manager, but ultimately manager is responsible for performances on the field and Jose is no above criticism.

Again this "our defense is terrible" spiel is complete nonsense. We've the second best defensive record in the league. Smalling and Jones are both English Internationals and when fit and on form are very very good. Valencia is arguably the best right back in the league. All 3 played big roles in winning the league in 2013. We've the most expensive left back in the world. Granted he's injured but Darmien or Blind aren't exactly terrible. Best goalkeeper in the world imo.

We look terrible defensively because we're a nervous wreck on the ball and the players are all lacking confidence. Also, when we score we seem to automatically drop deep inviting the other team on. Surely Jose can at least sort that out.

This is not down to the back four, but our defensive nature as a team. If our back 4 was more solid, then perhaps the midfield could be more adventurous and less cautious.

Some players nervous mentality may be too deep for any manager to solve. It may be second nature to Herrrea or Fellani considering the clubs the previously played for.

Our back line is very weak in my eyes.

Smalling and Jones are both internationals in an underperforming international team. Smalling is very prone to ball watching and switching off and it just needs to happen once for a goal to be conceded at the top level. Not good enough. Smalling simply isnt good enough for me.

Id rate Jones higher than Smalling, however his development has obviously been hampered with injury problems. Hes very brave and hard working but hes not at the top level for me.

Blind, like Jones works hard, but he is not a top CB. While he has many great qualities, he lacks height and strength and isnt as fast paced as a player of his size should be.

Darmian is a solid hand, but he's just not got the ability. His decision making lacks, his passing isnt at a top level for a full back. He isnt creative enough when he comes forward and he isnt quick enough either. Hes a grand squad player to have when injuries strike, but thats it. He just looks above average for me.

Bailey has potential and has had a fine season and hes developing great in my eyes but hes not there yet, but it wont be long before he is. I like him but he alone doesn't make our defense solid, he needs better players around him.

Rojo has performed very well and I believe Jose has over achieved in getting the best from him. He is a headless chicken some time, can throw caution to the wind to easy when making rash , sometimes awful challenges. He also lumps the ball away far too often. Under pressure he can do that with out criticism from me, but far too many times he hoofs a ball when he can pick a much easier pass.

Overall IMO we have a sub standard defense and its a valid reason for being more defensive as a team.

Saw the ESPN guy close to United, Alex Shaw is it? making some posts how its a disgrace and why dont clubs kick up a bigger fuss about it.

Is genuinely laughable. I don't know the "allocation" for say Wembley in the FA Cup or league cup, but our league cup final felt a real "fans final" as do the FA Cups and stuff.

Always think its incredible how that continues to happen without any real fuss from the FA or clubs themselves. CL and UL finals have been pretty piss poor atmosphere from recent recollections due to all the corporate non interest.

Hococop wrote: »

I actually havn't looked back after the initial replays, but my take was Bailly went to push him in the chest and your man made a meal of it. Was there contact to the face?

That ref was atrocious last night and thought he was totally out of his depth. Hate those refs who do that "sprinting" to incidents as it seems like they will never give themselves a second to think.

He looked all over the place at that incident, even thought the Vigo player red card was ridiculous as it looked like he just pushed Bailly in the chest?

If Bailly had hands near the face its pointless but if it was a push in the chest might be worth it?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I actually havn't looked back after the initial replays, but my take was Bailly went to push him in the chest and your man made a meal of it. Was there contact to the face?

That ref was atrocious last night and thought he was totally out of his depth. Hate those refs who do that "sprinting" to incidents as it seems like they will never give themselves a second to think.

He looked all over the place at that incident, even thought the Vigo player red card was ridiculous as it looked like he just pushed Bailly in the chest?

If Bailly had hands near the face its pointless but if it was a push in the chest might be worth it?

When it first happened, my initial reaction was Valencia was the man who pushed the Vigo Player. It all happened over nothing and Im sure the ref wasnt expecting that to happen. Its not like a wild challenge caused the mayhem.

Love to know what he said to make Bailly and Tony V have a go at him

My concern would be that a full review of the incident would see some other players join the suspension.

There is a lot of beating around the bush about it to be honest. And I can maybe see why in the media spectrum why there is some caution there. But this is boards and I doubt I'll get legal recourse from Celta Vigo over having a belief that incident got sparked of from potentially racial motivation or slurs.

That was my take real time when I saw the reaction of Pogba and Valencia, Valencia especially.

Also loved the irony of Fellaini holding back Bailly. Don't know if anyone noticed when he took that arm to the head late in the game, he was going to get straight back up, and someone (couldn't tell from the angle) was like telling him to stay down and holding his head. He looked so uncomfortable doing it.

He took some hard hits last night and kept getting up. Whatever about his football ability, ties back into the City game when he got slaughtered. He is a tough throwback player who doesn't milk it and expects others to be the same. Of the circus that is around him, I'm very appreciative of how he responds and deals with being battered (and he typically gets hit hard, and its just blown over so much) from a personal point of view, as that was how I was taught how to deal with getting smashed on a football pitch. You get your free, you get up, dont let the opponent think they got one on you, then move on.

He was blowing on empty for a portion of that second half, but he really did put in a shift and his running and his pressing set a tone for portions. Should get the good aswell as the bad when its deserved. Was delighted for him.

Whatever about his actually ability and if hes good enough, all those thoughts just disappear at times when I watch him. Was genuinely delighted that we scored, but was proper like "go on Maroune" and chuffed for him. ****ing love his celebrations as well haha, clearly means the world to him.

Just one of our players that in moments I love how I just dispell all the logic, issues and problems just be really happy for him. Not many players I'm like that with

Fellaini worked very hard last night. He did put in a shift and made up some ground to get on the end of the Rashford cross for the first goal.

Hes no Scholes, he has his obvious flaws, but he gives 100 percent and works so hard. I too was happy for him and I hope eh starts the final.

• Advertisement

• Love to know what he said to make Bailly and Tony V have a go at him

Guidetti the snaake, he said something nasty then takes a dive
    As was Aspas in the that clip

I have a feeling something fairly nasty was said to Baily to get both him and Tony V to react, I hope it's followed up on.

Anyway **** em, he will be remembered for his miss ;)

Love to know what he said to make Bailly and Tony V have a go at him

Its so little contact and more the neck/back jaw but probably still be banned :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whatever happened, Bailly balls his fist up and strikes out. I'd be of the belief, looking at everyone's reactions, something was said to him that deeply offended him...but he still struck out at someone with a balled fist, and thats never going to be rescinded...

Where is the clip from?

Liked it. Don't rate Giggs or P Neville much in "punditry" environments but that looked more relaxed where they could talk frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see Theo Griezmann as a United fan will be in Stockholm in his United shirt for the final of the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is that Matty Holland?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

See when UEFA used to say "for the fans", take no heed of them.

Its always been for the cash.

I have been at a few Euro finals, and the number of suits and hangers on is frightening.

The way it generally works is UEFA/sponsors etc get half the allocation, the 2 finalists share the other half, so one quarter each of the stadium.

Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Romero confirmed to be our Final goalkeeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Big risk not playing the clearly superior player but Romero got us this far and it would be unfair to drop him now. I'd get over it though if DeGea had to play for some reason.

Jayop wrote: »
    Big risk not playing the clearly superior player but Romero got us this far and it would be unfair to drop him now. I'd get over it though if DeGea had to play for some reason.

Happened city in the fa cup final, played hart instead of the sub keeper who played all the fa cup games, delighted Wigan beat them that day

Think Romero is deserving. He has equipped himself well and been an excellent understudy to De Gea this season, and last. Goalkeepers have that different mentally required in terms of not playing, but must be tough being your countries no.1 but rarely playing for a club.

Think he has earned the opportunity to win a medal and being in the starting line up. You'd like to think where the goalkeepers are really close and have a great working relationship, the no.1 would insist in a situation like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

TheDoc wrote: »
    Think Romero is deserving. He has equipped himself well and been an excellent understudy to De Gea this season, and last. Goalkeepers have that different mentally required in terms of not playing, but must be tough being your countries no.1 but rarely playing for a club.

Think he has earned the opportunity to win a medal and being in the starting line up. You'd like to think where the goalkeepers are really close and have a great working relationship, the no.1 would insist in a situation like this.

He also came expecting to join a team without DeGea and has remained dedicated and loyal despite him staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Romero has earned his place in goal for the final.

• Advertisement

I dont think he was at fault for any goals in the tournie, 100 percent has earned it. 7 clean sheets too IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

There is no room for sentimentality when it comes to the biggest match for this team in the last few years. Whoever is the better goalkeeper should start and we all know who that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Guidetti the snaake, he said something nasty then takes a dive
    As was Aspas in the that clip

I have a feeling something fairly nasty was said to Baily to get both him and Tony V to react, I hope it's followed up on.

Anyway **** em, he will be remembered for his miss ;)

He clearly told them they were lovely lads but how he said it means something different for everyone else.

Common occurrence it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

FatherTed wrote: »
    There is no room for sentimentality when it comes to the biggest match for this team in the last few years. Whoever is the better goalkeeper should start and we all know who that is.

Could not agree more. CL qualification and millions at stake. The best team starts and that includes the best goalkeeper. Jose playing with fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

FatherTed wrote: »
    Could not agree more. CL qualification and millions at stake. The best team starts and that includes the best goalkeeper. Jose playing with fire.

Gotta agree here, if top 4 was secure I'd have no problem with Romero starting but we have to start our strongest side, De Gea has to play especially with Bailly missing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement