Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have a terrible feeling that we'll go one up early on against Ajax, sit back and concede in the second half and then extra time and penalties where anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thelad95 wrote: »
    I have a terrible feeling that we'll go one up early on against Ajax, sit back and concede in the second half and then extra time and penalties where anything can happen.

Hearing nothing but good things about this Ajax team and I'd say the information and much more detail will emerge about their season in the run up.

Havn't watched them at all bar maybe once or twice randomly this year catching them on telly, but from what I'm reading, seem to be very much the favourites and they could tear us a new one.

Then again the same was said about Celta in a sense of don't underestimate them and its a tricky tie, and after two legs think they are a pretty rubbish team and not surprised they are mid table in la liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What was wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What was wrong with it?

It's pogba on tv he should be in a cardboard box until matchday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The ad was going well until the dancing started.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The ad was going well until the dancing started.

You don't like dancing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nice to see the "its all Mourinho's fault" crowd are sharpening their knives. If we loose it will instantly be Mour/Romero's fault. Regardless of performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

2/2 on match threads, but mother of god United didn't make it easy for themselves last night.

Andy Cole was on keys and gray he is doing well 5 weeks after his operation hope it keeps going that way for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seems to be chatter coming out of Columbia that James Rodriquez has signed a pre contract agreement and Adidas want him to take the #10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nice to see the "its all Mourinho's fault" crowd are sharpening their knives. If we loose it will instantly be Mour/Romero's fault. Regardless of performances.

It would be a change from another one of our players if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/863072460400447489

As above, don't know how I feel about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Depends on the fee. But I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll reign in my excitement IF it's true, was damned excited for Di Maria when he signed, we all know how that turned out in the end.

So yeah, players linked with United, I'm gonna be wary.

I'd much rather him to Barkley anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd much rather him to Barkley anyway.

Agree but wouldn't want either really.

Better than wasting money on a DM or Barkley.

adox wrote: »
    Agree but wouldn't want either really.

Who would you want? Apart from Griezmann obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seems to be chatter coming out of Columbia that James Rodriquez has signed a pre contract agreement and Adidas want him to take the #10

always liked him even though he rejected us few years back! still think him and Griezemann would be similar so not sure we'd sign both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do United need him?Plenty of players already at the club who I think are similar and as good as James at No.10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd say Martial is on his bike if we buy James. Buy Griezmann and James and we have a very flexible front set of players. I don't see the point in James as I think he's very overrated but sure see what happens.

James means no Greizmann I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Who would you want? Apart from Griezmann obviously.

Don't have a definitive answer to be honest. But just on the two mentioned, I just don't rate Barkley as highly as a lot of people and I think James is quite slow, or at least lacks pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hmm. Would have preferred a more pacy player than James. Big fan but if he's going to be on the wing then I'm not so sure.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do United need him?Plenty of players already at the club who I think are similar and as good as James at No.10.

Rooney is gone.
    Mata deserves time, but may always be a second string to a bigger name.
    Mkhi seems to play more on the wing than at #10

Basically, Mata is the only dedicated #10 we have that's "good enough", and Jose may see James as a better option.

Ooooh, we are close to fantasy lineup time, aren't we?

James is a goal scoring player we need them in abundance would love to sign him said it hear loads of times he scores and create goals.

I also like that even tho he has not been a Madrid regular he still comes into the team and gives man of the match performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Rodriquez is another luxury man-child with an unwillingness to Man-Up when it matters.

Man Utd need MEN, not more overgrown children.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Andy Cole was on keys and gray he is doing well 5 weeks after his operation hope it keeps going that way for him.

Where are keys and gray on now?

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Where are keys and gray on now?

They on bein sport 11 pal.

Rodriquez is another luxury man-child with an unwillingness to Man-Up when it matters.

Care to offer examples of him being a child? Or alternatives of players you'd like who qualify as "men"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Exactly what would our midfield look like, he's a great player just can't see where he would fit in.

Does this mean de gea going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But then we are linked with Bale.

One can't believe all the rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

James is an excellent footballer.

I watched a lot of him last year during the Copa last year as I was in Colombia at the time. He's a real rolls royce of a player and a joy to watch. The only problem was very few of the Colombian team were at the same level as him.

It was very frustrating watching him brilliantly lay off the ball to the likes of Cuadrado and watch them mess up time and time again. It's likely he would encounter the same issues at United laying it off down the right to the likes of Valencia.

It's no shame not to succeed at Real for numerous reasons. He went there at 22 as the World Cup top scorer, with a huge transfer fee and massive expectation. With Ronaldo safely ensconced in the centre of Reals's attack, James had to make do with being shunted around the forward line, filling in where needed. He hasn't exactly been a failure there but he has never been trusted as their main man (pretty much impossible as long as Ronaldo is there).

If Mourinho is interested, I imagine he sees him as similar to Sneijder - in as far as how things have worked out for him in Madrid - and how great he could possibly be elsewhere. Once given an extended run as United's number 10 we could get the pleasure of seeing him become the player he has long threatened to be.

I, for one, would be delighted if we got to sign one of the best talents in world football at 25 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Care to offer examples of him being a child? Or alternatives of players you'd like who qualify as "men"?

He is being chucked out of Madrid because he won't perform on a consistent basis. The only times when he does actually perform is when Ronaldo and Co have smashed the other team up.

He was bought to be Madrid's key Midfielder. They even sold Di Maria to fund it. There have been many occasions over the last few years where Ronaldo and Bale were out and he was supposed the be the guy that stepped up and led the team. He failed pretty much every time. In fact he has only started to get decent lately because he knows they want rid of him.

He is great when they are 4-0 up but a complete weakling when it comes to the moments he was supposed to lead the team. A sunshine player.

What qualifies are "men"? People who step up when it matters. Professionals that have great standards, not just for themselves but for their team. Leaders. Captains without armbands.

You totally disregard every good performance James put in by saying it's because ronaldo and co are already after doing the hard work it's complete nonsense he has played in recent months when ronaldo hasn't and had been the best player on the pitch.

He is competing against some of the best players In the world for game time he was bought to be a star for one manager and had an excellent first season and was on fringes of the team ever since but he has still always managed to assist and score when he plays he has a goals and assist per game ratio that any of our attacking midfielders would die for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

James' biggest problem is that he isn't the striker, defensive midfielder, pacy winger or quality full back that we need first.

Signing him wouldn't preclude signing any of the other players we need, but you don't eat the dessert before the dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tell ye what lads,we won't bother with James and keep Rooney for another season. That'd be a great fecking scenario to look forward to.

zerks wrote: »
    Tell ye what lads,we won't bother with James and keep Rooney for another season. That'd be a great fecking scenario to look forward to.

Or we could go with option C and get the striker we need and not have players that we don't.

• Advertisement

James' biggest problem is that he isn't the striker, defensive midfielder, pacy winger or quality full back that we need first.

Signing him wouldn't preclude signing any of the other players we need, but you don't eat the dessert before the dinner.

We need goals from other places then a striker. We need an out and out goalscorer but we also need someone to do what mkhitaryan was suppose to do and someone to do what Mata does more often.

Hopefully mkhitaryan will step up next season and a couple high quality signings will provide more goals.

Pogba's father has passed away.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Or we could go with option C and get the striker we need and not have players that we don't.

Or we could get the striker and other players too. We are hardley just going to sign one player.

You say we don't need an attacking midfielder but you look at other attacking midfielders in the country the likes of couthinho, de bryune, alli how may of our attacking midfielders has outscored and assist more then them this year?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or we could get the striker and other players too. We are hardley just going to sign one player.

You say we don't need an attacking midfielder but you look at other attacking midfielders in the country the likes of couthinho, de bryune, alli how may of our attacking midfielders has outscored and assist more then them this year?
    That's possibly thanks to not having a proper defensive minded midfielder, with little balance.

Yeah of course we need the other players, but i don't think James is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pogba's father has passed away.

Condolences to him and his family. Must be really hard for Paul to lose him at his age. Hope he's doing ok.

Wonder if he'll play Sunday. Probably not tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

James is an excellent footballer.

I watched a lot of him last year during the Copa last year as I was in Colombia at the time. He's a real rolls royce of a player and a joy to watch. The only problem was very few of the Colombian team were at the same level as him.

It was very frustrating watching him brilliantly lay off the ball to the likes of Cuadrado and watch them mess up time and time again. It's likely he would encounter the same issues at United laying it off down the right to the likes of Valencia.

It's no shame not to succeed at Real for numerous reasons. He went there at 22 as the World Cup top scorer, with a huge transfer fee and massive expectation. With Ronaldo safely ensconced in the centre of Reals's attack, James had to make do with being shunted around the forward line, filling in where needed. He hasn't exactly been a failure there but he has never been trusted as their main man (pretty much impossible as long as Ronaldo is there).

If Mourinho is interested, I imagine he sees him as similar to Sneijder - in as far as how things have worked out for him in Madrid - and how great he could possibly be elsewhere. Once given an extended run as United's number 10 we could get the pleasure of seeing him become the player he has long threatened to be.

I, for one, would be delighted if we got to sign one of the best talents in world football at 25 years of age.
    Real would be crazy to let him go, I just dont see it happening

He is being chucked out of Madrid because he won't perform on a consistent basis. The only times when he does actually perform is when Ronaldo and Co have smashed the other team up.

He was bought to be Madrid's key Midfielder. They even sold Di Maria to fund it. There have been many occasions over the last few years where Ronaldo and Bale were out and he was supposed the be the guy that stepped up and led the team. He failed pretty much every time. In fact he has only started to get decent lately because he knows they want rid of him.

He is great when they are 4-0 up but a complete weakling when it comes to the moments he was supposed to lead the team. A sunshine player.

What qualifies are "men"? People who step up when it matters. Professionals that have great standards, not just for themselves but for their team. Leaders. Captains without armbands.

You football knowledge is hilarious :pac:

irishman86 wrote: »
    Real would be crazy to let him go, I just dont see it happening

From what I'm reading, they've switched to a three man midfield to accommodate Kroos, Modric and Casemero. Isco has been performing well when called on too, so the #10 slot has vanished in the Real team. So rather than sitting on the bench, James wants a move.

From what I'm reading, they've switched to a three man midfield to accommodate Kroos, Modric and Casemero. Isco has been performing well when called on too, so the #10 slot has vanished in the Real team. So rather than sitting on the bench, James wants a move.

Tabloids have been saying that for how long though, think back two months ago Isco was demanding a move and now look how important he is.
    James is a kid from Latin America, I dont see him wanting to move away from Real Madrid.

• Advertisement

JamboMac wrote: »
    That's possibly thanks to not having a proper defensive minded midfielder, with little balance.

Yeah of course we need the other players, but i don't think James is the way to go.

I do agree we need a defensive midfielder. Name a few getable players you thing would improve the squad if not James.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement