Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think the fairest way to judge how good a team has been is through league performance. United have been poor this season.

I don't think they have been overall, especially compared to last season. The number of draws has been very frustrating alright and the league position is disappointing too but, the standard of football has increased greatly overall while still being more or less as defensively sound.
    The last few weeks have been underwhelming and it does feel like the team and the season is running out of steam but that shouldn't be used as a barometer for the whole season overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that. Anyone wanting us to lose a final isn't a fan imo.

Never said they want us to lose but they'd see an opportunity to be smug about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Korat wrote: »
    I'll be disappointed with the season if we don't win the EL and therefore qualify for the CL next season. On the other hand if we finish with two trophies and CL qualification then the season will have exceeded my expectations.

It all comes down to one game.

It looks like we are going to end up sixth in the league so that is massively disappointing, even though with 3 games to play we are just one point off last years total, our home form has been very poor, mostly due to poor finishing however tactically, Jose has to shoulder the blame for some of it.

Winning the EL would hugely make up for poor league campaign but that's only because it's Jose's first season.

If by this time next year we are not involved at the top of the table then questions will be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

GSPfan wrote: »
    Never said they want us to lose but they'd see an opportunity to be smug about it.

Oh make no mistake there will be major criticism of the team and players if we lose the final. Will be a failed season imo and criticism will be warranted.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    I don't think they have been overall, especially compared to last season. The number of draws has been very frustrating alright and the league position is disappointing too but, the standard of football has increased greatly overall while still being more or less as defensively sound.
    The last few weeks have been underwhelming and it does feel like the team and the season is running out of steam but that shouldn't be used as a barometer for the whole season overall.

The league table doesn't lie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd agree it doesn't, but the entirety of critical analysis shouldn't boil down to "We're sixth", no more than it did under LVG or Moyes. I always said if I had seen signs of progress under either of those two, I wouldn't have been so quick to turn on them, but I have seen it under Jose, so stick by him.

I think it was Bucky who said it yesterday; the league position may be the same, but there's a single problem to be fixed this season (goal scoring) as opposed to the 10 or so we faced under LVG. The league position, frustratingly, doesn't reflect it, but Jose is going into the transfer window with a far stronger hand than LVG ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Our approach to almost every big game this season has been embarrassing. Just so so negative.

Ah here now. Apart from Liverpool, City, and Arsenal away I wouldn't say we approached any other game in an embarrassing manor. I wouldn't even call the Liverpool away game embarrassing as Liverpool employed similar tactics against us in both games which resulted in awful games. We dominated Liverpool at home. We were a calamity against City at home and Chelsea away in the league.

Liverpool's approach to a game doesn't justify our approach. I'd say it's hard to judge the Chelsea away game as whatever the game plan it was out the window within a minute. Having said that it would not be outrageous to assume the plan was a negative one.

Maybe I was over the top saying it was embarrassing as the timing of some of those games meant it was a pragmatic approach.

I would hope we can give the big teams a much tougher test next season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With young kids on the scene I have far less time for watching European /South American Soccer,so could some of you more clued in people post a realistic list of potential defensive midfielders we could sign to do the Makelele or Kante role next season?
    Prob needs to be someone in their mid twenties who has played at a decent level...I don't ask for much:)....
    As an aside imo Utd would have being far better off going after and getting Kante last season to replace Carrick than going for Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

With young kids on the scene I have far less time for watching European /South American Soccer,so could some of you more clued in people post a realistic list of potential defensive midfielders we could sign to do the Makelele or Kante role next season?
    Prob needs to be someone in their mid twenties who has played at a decent level...I don't ask for much:)....
    As an aside imo Utd would have being far better off going after and getting Kante last season to replace Carrick than going for Pogba.

We might have but he might have preferred Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

we should have went all out to get them both

Getting pogba was a masterclass imo

Fantastic player who came back to the club from a super juve team

He

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You're presuming we didn't try for Kante. Chances are we did, as did every big team, and he simply opted for Chelsea ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well Morgan was one of the best defensive midfielders but couldnt break into the side. Would Madrid part with Casemiro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Eric Dier and Fabinho is who Id go after

irishman86 wrote: »

Fabinho was a right back until few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

pjohnson wrote: »

Cant see how that matters?

• Advertisement

Toobz wrote: »
    Cant see how that matters?

A player who can play two positions doesn't matter? Is versatility bad now?

Exactly this. If we spend £70 million on them two alone I'd be delighted. Two very versatile defensive players who would complement Pogba and Herrera who in my eyes are more forward thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Signing a defensive midfielder just leads into playing a conservative game with negative tactics. I'd much prefer us to buy a ball playing midfielder.

Sort out the attaching play first, get back to scoring 70+ goals per season, if it's apparent we're conceding too many goals then certainly look to shore it up in midfield. It's much easier to get better defensively than it is to get better offensively. Defensive midfielders are largely over rated although I'm a big fan of Kante, but then he offers much more than that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You're presuming we didn't try for Kante. Chances are we did, as did every big team, and he simply opted for Chelsea ahead of us.

In this day and age with all social media etc I think it is fair to say if Utd had made any real efforts to get Kante it would have leaked out at some stage over the summer or since that.

I also agree that Pogba and Kante were targetable and chances are Kante may well have come if he knew we were going to have Pogba playing beside him.

I'm glad I have opened a discussion on guys we should be going after to replace Carrick.
    Saw someone mention Strootman before....how has he done since coming back from knee injuries?

In fact let me do a shopping list:

Solid older Left Back - £15 million
    Dier - £35 million
    Fabinho - £35 million
    Griezmann or Bale - £85 million

That is £170 million and I think it's realistic.

Possible sales:

Martial - £60 million - replaced by James?
    De Gea - £50 million - replaced by Oblak?

• Advertisement

Exactly this. If we spend £70 million on them two alone I'd be delighted. Two very versatile defensive players who would complement Pogba and Herrera who in my eyes are more forward thinking.

Are Spurs not looking for 50m Sterling for Dier alone?....in other words Levy doesn't want to sell him!

IMO he is a limited enough player esp if he costed that much! Dier does not have much of a range of passing and passes the ball sideways too much when playing in dm role for Spurs.

Is Fabinho a better player.?

Are Spurs not looking for 50m Sterling for Dier alone?....in other words Levy doesn't want to sell him!

IMO he is a limited enough player esp if he costed that much! Dier does not have much of a range of passing and passes the ball sideways too much when playing in dm role for Spurs.

Is Fabinho a better player.?

Apparently Dier is a United fan and wants to move. With a bump in wages he would push for the move so £50 million is way above what he is worth even in this market. £35 million is the fee I'd expect and even that is about £10 million more than he is worth.

Fabinho is very very good. Can play right back and DM so covers two positions in an injury prone team. That's a great asset. Dier can play centre half too.

Apparently Dier is a United fan and wants to move. With a bump in wages he would push for the move so £50 million is way above what he is worth even in this market. £35 million is the fee I'd expect and even that is about £10 million more than he is worth.

Fabinho is very very good. Can play right back and DM so covers two positions in an injury prone team. That's a great asset. Dier can play centre half too.

What age is Fabinho....do you think my assessment of Dier is harsh or accurate?

In fact let me do a shopping list:

Solid older Left Back - £15 million
    Dier - £35 million
    Fabinho - £35 million
    Griezmann or Bale - £85 million

That is £170 million and I think it's realistic.

Possible sales:

Martial - £60 million - replaced by James?
    De Gea - £50 million - replaced by Oblak?

It would be such a shame if we sold Martial. He's a very talented player.

What age is Fabinho....do you think my assessment of Dier is harsh or accurate?

Fabinho is 23. Scores a goal every 5 games so not bad for a right back/DM.

Is your assessment of Dier harsh???..... Probably not as I can see why you would say that but I rarely get on here and debate players who don't play for United as I don't watch them enough but I'll admit I am a fan of Spurs and watch every game I can and his stature, his physicality, his composure is really good. He has a goal in him too and can strike a ball very well. To be honest if Carrick has carved out a United career to be proud of then Dier has every chance to do the same.

It would be such a shame if we sold Martial. He's a very talented player.

You're dead right, it would be a shame, but I can see it happening. PSG will have to react to losing the league so I reckon they would be willing to fork out the fee. Id rather Martial over James any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It does lie pool won the league in October but they are fourth now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You're dead right, it would be a shame, but I can see it happening. PSG will have to react to losing the league so I reckon they would be willing to fork out the fee. Id rather Martial over James any day.

If we don't sell him this summer we may not be able to buy him back for €200m in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Oh make no mistake there will be major criticism of the team and players if we lose the final. Will be a failed season imo and criticism will be warranted.

If people feel that way then they should have the balls to shout out that major criticism before the final. Say right now that it is a failed season, judge everything that happened this season right now, because what happens in one particular cup game will not have changed everything that happened in the preceding nine months. If its a failed season after the cup final then it was a failed season before the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I only person who thinks Dier is overrated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No.

35m for Dier?

Has someone been playing Football Manager.

Sterling and Stones were both over 40m.

Dier has 4 years left on his contract. Spurs have no need to sell. It would be at least 50m to be near getting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

This is thanks to sky sports news and the general English media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If ibra stays or we get a big centre forward who can hold it up and play in others I'd like to see us play them as a deeper forward, pull the CBS out and play in the wingers​, we've pacey lads who can take a shot and it would allow pogba and the other cm come forward for ranged ones as a threat. We need to utilise the speed and athleticism to get through I think, slow build up play is killing us against team particularly at home.

Of course if the CBS don't follow the forward should have space to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

A player who can play two positions doesn't matter? Is versatility bad now?

Apologies, I thought you meant it as a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

If the stories are right Rooney is going home and we get lukaku, does that then mean no griezzman?

Lukaku would take over from ibrahimovic very easily, plus he has extra pace. He seems like mourinhos typical cf aswell.

If people feel that way then they should have the balls to shout out that major criticism before the final. Say right now that it is a failed season, judge everything that happened this season right now, because what happens in one particular cup game will not have changed everything that happened in the preceding nine months. If its a failed season after the cup final then it was a failed season before the cup final.

Domestically, it is an incredibly disappointing season. I've already posted here that I reckon Mourinho has a lot to answer for if the Europa League not delivered.

He is overrated but only because some media have him priced at £50 million. He is a very good player and would do very well with us but £25 million is about right for him.

He is overrated but only because some media have him priced at £50 million. He is a very good player and would do very well with us but £25 million is about right for him.

What media? What English player has actually moved for their value recently? The facts are

*He has 4 years remaining so they've no fear of him leaving on a free so no possible bargain like possible with Barkley (1 year left).
    *He is English so they have a price premium so there is a tax on that since Homegrowns are a necessity.
    *We are a big club, bigger clubs are always forced to pay more since the selling club KNOWS the extra money is there.

• Advertisement

Also incorrect, he has played right back yes but he has played often in midfield for Monaco before this season. He was also a standout at rb which for me makes his ability in midfield even more impressive

Also incorrect, he has played right back yes but he has played often in midfield for Monaco before this season. He was also a standout at rb which for me makes his ability in midfield even more impressive

Nothing incorrect really. He was regarded as a natural RB who sometimes covered in midfield. He has now morphed into central midfield being his most natural position and occasionally covering RB. Similar to how Antonio was most definitely a Right Winger when he joined us but he is very much a Right Back now.

What English player has actually moved for their value recently?

Milner, on a free. :)

Nothing incorrect really. He was regarded as a natural RB who sometimes covered in midfield. He has now morphed into central midfield being his most natural position and occasionally covering RB. Similar to how Antonio was most definitely a Right Winger when he joined us but he is very much a Right Back now.

I dont think he started at rb, he was played at Monaco there due to the weakness at rb and they had players in midfield. Although I misread the context of your first post where I thought you were using where he used to play as a criticism

• Advertisement

Who the hell pays the blindest bit of notice to The Sun?

Obviously not you. But a lot of people regurgitate their shíte and talk about it as fact.

So lads lets get back to the what cdm's are available to sign this summer discussion.

Is Strootman a busted flush?
    Is there any young up and coming cdm doing well in Portuguese/Italian/Spanish/ German leagues seeing as Fabinho seems like the French league pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What media? What English player has actually moved for their value recently? The facts are

*He has 4 years remaining so they've no fear of him leaving on a free so no possible bargain like possible with Barkley (1 year left).
    *He is English so they have a price premium so there is a tax on that since Homegrowns are a necessity.
    *We are a big club, bigger clubs are always forced to pay more since the selling club KNOWS the extra money is there.

Eric Dier is not home grown player. He is home grown for Portuguese clubs.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

So lads lets get back to the what cdm's are available to sign this summer discussion.

Is Strootman a busted flush?
    Is there any young up and coming cdm doing well in Portuguese/Italian/Spanish/ German leagues seeing as Fabinho seems like the French league pick.

I've always considered strootman to be perfect for our midfield ,just a shame he's had injury problems!

Liked the look of tielelmans last month would be a solid investment

matuidi seems to be available and rabiot is unhappy,lets raid pig

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Eric Dier is not home grown player. He is home grown for Portuguese clubs.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136
    Excellent point. Completely forgot about his actual academy time being with Sporting! That does decrease his value. Just the bloody 4 year contract problem now ha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement