Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

JamboMac wrote: »
    If the stories are right Rooney is going home and we get lukaku, does that then mean no griezzman?

Lukaku would take over from ibrahimovic very easily, plus he has extra pace. He seems like mourinhos typical cf aswell.

It would mean no Belotti most likely.

Griezmann would be a Rooney replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Signing a defensive midfielder just leads into playing a conservative game with negative tactics. I'd much prefer us to buy a ball playing midfielder.

I disagree completely. I think a dedicated DM will actually let the team play with more freedom and be more attacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The league table doesn't lie.

But I covered my views on that in the post of mine you quoted.

Anyway Lord TSC replied and pretty much answered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I know hes still a very raw talent but Ndidi has showed some great potential in his short time at Leicester.

He looks to me like he has a much higher ceiling than Dier.

But then again, we have a lot of young talent would Fosu-Mensah be better to give a run to behind Pogba and Herrera? He showed great defensive capabilities last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    I disagree completely. I think a dedicated DM will actually let the team play with more freedom and be more attacking

Surprised that even needed to be said, honestly.

I was reading some random thing and the old chestnut about Lukkaku to United and Rooney to Everton was mentioned, and it made me wonder...

Koeman is no fool as far as I can see, why on earth would he want Rooney? It gets mentioned frequently as a destination for Rooney but if Koeman is trying to build something there why on earth would he want a player who has been clearly way off the pace for a long time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Am I only person who thinks Dier is overrated?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

pjohnson wrote: »
    What media? What English player has actually moved for their value recently? The facts are

*He has 4 years remaining so they've no fear of him leaving on a free so no possible bargain like possible with Barkley (1 year left).
    *He is English so they have a price premium so there is a tax on that since Homegrowns are a necessity.
    *We are a big club, bigger clubs are always forced to pay more since the selling club KNOWS the extra money is there.

Pogba is considered Homegrown for us as he came up through the academy. As far as I know Dier didn't come through in the UK so he's not counted as homegrown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

How many homegrown do we need, surely we have enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

JamboMac wrote: »
    How many homegrown do we need, surely we have enough.

Afaik, it's eight, and the issue is we are likely to lose Rooney, Carrick, Young and possibly one of Smalling or Jones, and possibly Shaw, this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Matthew Olosunde

Phil Jones

Axel Tuanzebe

Eric Bailly

Matteo Darmian

Chris Smalling

Demetri Mitchell

Daley Blind

Ander Herrera

Scott McTominay

Jesse Lingard

Matty Willock

Michael Carrick

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Juan Mata

Wayne Rooney

Anthony Martial

Marcus Rashford

With top four gone, I seriously hope we don't end up in fifth.

Losing the EL final would be bad enough without having to enter it again next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Who is our leader on the pitch now? Robson Hughes Cantona Keane Rooney down thru the years ....who gives the players the bollicking on the field now ?
    We need a leader to help get back up were we belong. Carrick coming near end of his career. He has been worthy wearer of the no 16 jersey over the past 10 yrs. Herrera not in Carricks class in his prime. Although I love his passion. We need a big replacement for Carrick. A top quality defensive midfielder needs to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Losing the EL final would be bad enough without having to enter it again next season.

We agree on one thing. Better off building a team without the hassle of a EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Don't the league cup winners qualify anyway? We are already in it aren't we.

The positives of finishing 6th and winning the Europa League is that 4 other teams will be in the Champions League too - Chelsea Spurs City Liverpool, and 2 in the Europa - Arsenal Everton.

So they'll all be stretched next year instead of a few of them having midweek off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If United are in the EL next season then it should be used solely for blooding youngsters and giving games to squad members,no regular starter should get a look in unless they get to last 16.
    If the club goes out early so be it.

We are already qualified for Europa next year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm still convinced that Arsenal are gonna Arsenal and pip 4th

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Don't the league cup winners qualify anyway? We are already in it aren't we.

Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

astradave wrote: »

I sincerely hope they do.

Nothing would make me smile more than seeing Liverpool miss out :)

They would wanna rip Into stoke now tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its in Liverpools hands and cant see them slipping up this time around.

Arsenal have win all 3 and it being Arsenal they could win today and get beat next day

Arsenal leading hopefully klopp threats the next two games like cup finals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To be honest dont really care who gets it. Arsenal maybe less of two evils, but Arsenal fans are pains in the back side.

They wont shut up if they get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I don't care about the League, as long as United win the Europa and get into the qualifying round for next seasons Champions League, I'll be happy.

To be honest dont really care who gets it. Arsenal maybe less of two evils, but Arsenal fans are pains in the back side.

I don't really know any arsenal fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Far fewer of them to listen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I don't care about the League, as long as United win the Europa and get into the qualifying round for next seasons Champions League, I'll be happy.

Im not particularly bothered either but it would be very funny if Pool missed out after alot of their ****e talk earlier in the season.Imagine missing out after winning the October cup be gutted .:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

yabadabado wrote: »
    Im not particularly bothered either but it would be very funny if Pool missed out after alot of their ****e talk earlier in the season.Imagine missing out after winning the October cup be gutted .:D

Surely it must get boring when its the same story with them every year

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    Surely it must get boring when its the same story with them every year

But haven't you heard, it's THEIR YEAR, NEXT YEAR :pac:

yabadabado wrote: »

I'd be delighted as I'd have something to lord over my Liverpool supporting friends, all in good fun and what not :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bugger.

Foiled by our own successes :pac:

I'd be delighted as I'd have something to lord over my Liverpool supporting friends, all in good fun and what not :D

Exactly they will all be Ajax fans the end of this month it's all good craic.

Are Arsenal gonna Arsenal(implode) or are Arsenal gonna Arsenal(get top 4) here :D

jayo26 wrote: »
    Exactly they will all be Ajax fans the end of this month it's all good craic.

One's already got his Ajax jersey for the Europa League final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Are Arsenal gonna Arsenal(implode) or are Arsenal gonna Arsenal(get top 4) here :D

Good job :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Strootman is a blast from the recent past. Whatever became of William Carvalho?

Anyone follow German football? Naby Keita has aparently done well in midfield this season for RB Leipzig who are 2nd in the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Do we not go straight through to the group stage if we win the Europa?

xtal191 wrote: »

We do indeed if the champions league winners qualify threw there league or something like that but Yeh the winners of el this year are in the group stages.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    We do indeed if the champions league winners qualify threw there league or something like that but Yeh the winners of el this year are in the group stages.

So if i'm understanding the pair of you correctly Chelsea's successful season and United (hopefully) winning the Europa League, that would mean United skip the play off round and head into the group stages automatically?

Qualifying for the Champions League was easier when United were racking up League titles :pac:

So if i'm understanding the pair of you correctly Chelsea's successful season and United (hopefully) winning the Europa League, that would mean United skip the play off round and head into the group stages automatically?

Yes due to Juventus and Madrid having qualified for champions league already via their own league. It's something like that but I know the winners are straight threw this year anyway was my understanding.

Yes due to Juventus and Madrid having qualified for champions league already via their own league. It's something like that but I know the winners are straight threw this year anyway was my understanding.

But this on UEFA's website says otherwise
    How it impacts associations' allocations

It is possible for a country with a potential three UEFA Champions League places to up this number to five, a country with two places to increase to four, or a country with one place to raise it to three. This can only happen if the association in question has two clubs who win both major European club competitions but that also do not qualify via their own league.*

• Regarding the top three associations (currently Spain, Germany and England): if two clubs from one of these countries win the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish their domestic league in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League, the following will happen:

– The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage.

The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League play-offs

The club that had qualified for a UEFA Champions League play-off spot via their domestic league competition (i.e. finished fourth) transfer to the UEFA Europa League.

Again Champions League qualification was easier when United were racking up Premier League titles.

But this on UEFA's website says otherwise

Again Champions League qualification was easier when United were racking up Premier League titles.

The answer is above the bolded part. If the winners of the champ league and the winner of the europa are both outside the champ league spots in their league(has to be the same league) the top 2 and the champions league winner go to group stages and the europ league and 1 other spot would go to playoffs

With our league of we won the top 2 and europa league would go to group stages and the 3rd and 4th to playoffs

Edit:
    • The UEFA Europa League winners enter in the group stage if the UEFA Champions League winners qualify directly for the UEFA Champions League group stage via their domestic league programme. This is what happened the past two seasons after success for Barcelona and Real Madrid.

From here

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2444525.html[url][/url]

Was thinking i seen it somewhere dave.

To Sum Up..... we are in the poxy Europa League qualifying rounds no matter what. And if we win the Europa we are into the Champions League group stages. So there is a bloody lot riding on this final for United. It may make or break Jose too.

GSPfan wrote: »
    To Sum Up..... we are in the poxy Europa League qualifying rounds no matter what. And if we win the Europa we are into the Champions League group stages. So there is a bloody lot riding on this final for United. It may make or break Jose too.

Its not make or break for jose If we don't win it will be an end to a disappointing season yes but we move on to next year and expect big improvements.

He won't be sacked or he wont be publicly called out on what went wrong by the club but privately I'm sure they will want answers.

Oh and just before someone else asks.... if we finish 4th and win the Europa then 5th spot does not qualify for the Champions League. I know its not very likely but thought I'd get it out there for the 43rd time to anyone who has missed the last 42 times it was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kessie for Atlanta is always a classy player.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Headshot wrote: »
    Kessie for Atlanta is always a classy player.

Had a great start to the season, but he didnt quiet keep it up
    He does though look a great prospect for the future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement