Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm expecting absolutely nothing from tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »

Same as that Only thing I expect is serious questions been asked when we get beaten.

Might be another dull game and cone away with a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lord TSC wrote: »
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Same as that Only thing I expect is serious questions been asked when we get beaten.

Might be another dull game and cone away with a draw.

If it were offered now, I'd gladly take a repeat 1 nil from the reverse fixture at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If it were offered now, I'd gladly take a repeat 1 nil from the reverse fixture at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

Id like to see another solid performance from tuanzebe probably be more changes too it's a nothing game at This stage as both teams have nothing to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I may not even bother watching the game tomorrow. It's a nuisance that United don't need. If Rashford plays and gets injured I'll kick something expensive in my gaff.

• Advertisement

Id like to see another solid performance from tuanzebe probably be more changes too it's a nothing game at This stage as both teams have nothing to play for.

From the list of players who've travelled, I'd imagine José will play a weakened team, or as weak a team as he can possibly pick keeping Southampton & Palace games in mind Wednesday & next Sunday.

I'd always watch whenever I can even under lvg I always watched. There is always some little glimmer of positivity to take from a performance even someone like tuanzebe playing well like he did against arsenal leaves it worthwhile to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Pogba not traveling due to his dads death is good. Would hate to have seen him try to brave it for the sake of a glorified friendly. Hope he sits out every game till the final.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Pogba not traveling due to his dads death is good. Would hate to have seen him try to brave it for the sake of a glorified friendly. Hope he sits out every game till the final.

Well and I'm not being smart here, but I'd say when he got word of his father's passing, he with the clubs support obviously, got a flight to Paris as quick as he could to be with family.

Or wherever his family is based. I'm just assuming Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I've been watching a lot of AFL lately and as much as they're a bunch of roid monkeys it does remind me of how soccer used to be. I hate the term but 'precious snowflake' sums up the modern footballer.

I think Jose is trying redress that within the squad by weeding out the players who can't cope with the minimum of pressure.

The team is only as good as it's weakest component. There'll be no excuses next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Jesus its hard reading through so many post and people saying they dont care about tomorrow or not arsed with the result or watching it. Shows how bad our mentallity as supporters has gone after the shamble of the last couple of years.

For me i'll be watching the game, hoping we get a good result. Every game for us now needs to be in confidence as the team will need it to win the EL.

This team didn't just chance its way into the final, and i know its not our best football but it's lightyears ahead of moyes and lvg. We need to let the SAF times go.

Would be brilliant if we beat spurs at their last game at WHL.

MUFC!

• This annoys me, there is two parts in the tweet

https://twitter.com/RedReveal/status/863466987586019333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Jesus its hard reading through so many post and people saying they dont care about tomorrow or not arsed with the result or watching it. Shows how bad our mentallity as supporters has gone after the shamble of the last couple of years.

For me i'll be watching the game, hoping we get a good result. Every game for us now needs to be in confidence as the team will need it to win the EL.

This team didn't just chance its way into the final, and i know its not our best football but it's lightyears ahead of moyes and lvg. We need to let the SAF times go.

MUFC!

Not really. It's a completely meaningless game. We can't slip to 7th, more or less impossible to get 5th or 4th. Players are going to be rested. It's a nothing game.

Not worth watching.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This annoys me, there is two parts in the tweet

To late of an age for a signing. Was never the old bastian that we all loved and would have loved at this club years back. Guy had to many injuries and we were daft signing him.
    Guy asking the questions is just looking for a response

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not really. It's a completely meaningless game. We can't slip to 7th, more or less impossible to get 5th or 4th. Players are going to be rested. It's a nothing game.

Not worth watching.

Players play on confidence, you win a game your fired up for the next. Lose it you start quetioning yourself.
    Of course it's not important in league standings but to get a few players on for form for the final its a must win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is Ashley Young out of contract in the summer? I'd have thought he'd be a certainty to still be at the club next season.

I also don't understand the talk surrounding Eric Dier. It's like because Tottenham have a very good team we have to buy someone from them so let's just buy the most attainable.

You can't buy chemistry on the pitch unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

J. Marston wrote: »
    AidoEirE wrote: »

MUFC!

Not worth watching.

But some people actually enjoy watching United regardless of the circumstances.

It's these kind of games where Scholes' and Rashford's are discovered.

Which is where me and you are alike. People counting todays game as a nothing suprises me. Like i said, confidence is key.
    Put it this way, if we loose today and next week, i'd find it hard to win the EL because mentality would be a low in the team.

Win this and next and we are in great form to clinch the EL final

Guaranteed if we loose the EL final it will be the same people posting we should of done better/ we played sh*t etc.
    These games matter alot when theres still a trophy and CL spot to be had for us.

The Scholes' and Rashford's are found on the training pitch to be fair. Long before they make the first 11. Picked out of circumstance or actual skill with a footballing brain.

Will amend, I expect nothing today but I will absolutely be watching the game. Especially with only four games left till summer, I will never miss a second of a game unless forced too. It's still United on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We could get tore a new one today but no injuries is the most important thing. Wud like to see some younger fringe players get a bit of a run. Not too many obviously as it could be lambs to the slaughter. Did many fringe players travel does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This annoys me, there is two parts in the tweet

In what way does it annoy you?

• adox wrote: »
    In what way does it annoy you?

Booze. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but anybody who is going, what's the cheapest way to get to Stockholm and back that you have found?

(Asking here because way more traffic than tickets thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Five years ago, this game would be Joses wet dream, Spurs last game at White Hart Lane, top 4 just about still in reach, he'd nick a 2-0 win and sicken all the soccer chickens.

Watch as we roll over today and accept a 3-0 thrashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mokuba wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked yet, but anybody who is going, what's the cheapest way to get to Stockholm and back that you have found?

(Asking here because way more traffic than tickets thread)

Not going myself but would presume the tickets into Sweden would be mental price wise so I'd say a flight to Copenhagen and train to Stockholm would be the cheapest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I'm just hoping Jose doesn't approach this game the same way he approached the City and Arsenal game.

League's pretty much over, try something different, play some youngens, play positive football!!!

I agree we should be protecting our players from injuries and fatigue at this stage but that doesn't mean we can't be the dominant team in the match. It's all about confidence at this stage and the players need it l!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm just hoping Jose doesn't approach this game the same way he approached the City and Arsenal game.

League's pretty much over, try something different, play some youngens, play positive football!!!

I agree we should be protecting our players from injuries and fatigue at this stage but that doesn't mean we can't be the dominant team in the match. It's all about confidence at this stage and the players need it l!!!

I'd like more of McTominay. He was quite good when he came on. He'll probably be sold off but be nice to see him for a full game.

To be frank, even if we were at 100%, I don't think we'd be the "dominant" team. Spurs are massively impressive right now, and I'd worry are better than us pretty much all over the pitch at the moment. At 100%, I'd be thinking it could go either way, but with no Ibra, Pogba, Valencia, Rojo or Fellaini, I'd worry today could be a rout, regardless of positive or negative football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Antibac wrote: »
    Suddenly I feel old

416999.JPG

Help me name that squad. No cheating with Wiki now.

Stapleton....????....Muhren...McGrath...????....Whiteside...????
    Coach...????...Bailey....Robson...Gidman...????...Moran...Coach
    Strachan...????....????....Duxbury...BIG RON...Barnes...Albiston...Olsen...????

Back in the film era it was too late to retake the photo when you realised a third of the team were acting the mick or blinking at the wrong moment :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Help me name that squad. No cheating with Wiki now.

Stapleton....????....Muhren...McGrath...????....Whiteside...????
    Coach...????...Bailey....Robson...Gidman...????...Moran...Coach
    Strachan...????....????....Duxbury...BIG RON...Barnes...Albiston...Olsen...????

Back in the film era it was too late to retake the photo when you realised a third of the team were acting the mick or blinking at the wrong moment :p

Sivebeck, not Muhren but Higgins, we got him on a free from Everton, Hogg, Garton, Brown asst manager, Davenport, Turner, McGregor phsyio, Blackmore, Gibson, Terry Gibson, looking back, what a **** squad we had......

Well Hull are frigged. We could do much worse than take Maguire from them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well Hull are frigged. We could do much worse than take Maguire from them.

Could do alot better too tho.

Could do alot better too tho.

No sh*t sherlock. Sorry for my suggestion. Lets go for Varane etc.

No sh*t sherlock. Sorry for my suggestion. Lets go for Varane etc.

No need to be sorry your entitled to your opinion same as I am too and you don't need to be Sherlock to see that Maguire would not be an improvement on any of our defenders and from what I have seen of him and the youth players we have I'd rather have players like tuanzebe and mensah getting game time over someone like him.

• Advertisement

No need to be sorry your entitled to your opinion same as I am too and you don't need to be Sherlock to see that Maguire would not be an improvement on any of our defenders and from what I have seen of him and the youth players we have I'd rather have players like tuanzebe and mensah getting game time over someone like him.
    Are we leaving Tim at CB? He still seems to float around a multitude of positions a la Phil Neville/John O'Shea.

Its hard to judge this thread whether we want to keep giving younger players a chance or abandon youth and start signing the likes of Renato Sanches/Ross Barkley. Some people want both senior depth and youth chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Palace bang in four against them and we couldn't even score one.

Are we leaving Tim at CB? He still seems to float around a multitude of positions a la Phil Neville/John O'Shea.

Its hard to judge this thread whether we want to keep giving younger players a chance or abandon youth and start signing the likes of Renato Sanches/Ross Barkley. Some people want both senior depth and youth chances.

What does it matter what other people want? You give your own opinions.

Tim could end up any position at This stage he fight not even end up playing for us regularly but if we were to start signing players like Maguire id prefer we were giving youngsters a chance instead of signing that level if a player.

What does it matter what other people want? You give your own opinions.

Tim could end up any position at This stage he fight not even end up playing for us regularly but if we were to start signing players like Maguire id prefer we were giving youngsters a chance instead of signing that level if a player.

Meh "players like Maguire" must secretly be 10 a penny. I've not seen Jones or Smalling take on men and dribble upfield. Both of those of had injuries. Granted Rojo can bring the ball out of defence for us but assuming we are cutting ties with Smalling and Jones then having Bailly/Rojo with Maguire/Tuanzebe wouldn't be a disaster in my mind. Granted hes not gunna get multi-million addidas deals or appear on bill boards but he's 23, confident, technically good footballer. If Mourinho is keeping Smalling/Jones then obviously Maguire isn't needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hope that Taunzebe starts at rb today,was very good v Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hope that Taunzebe starts at rb today,was very good v Arsenal.

Would rather he started in his more natural center back position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Meh "players like Maguire" must secretly be 10 a penny. I've not seen Jones or Smalling take on men and dribble upfield. Both of those of had injuries. Granted Rojo can bring the ball out of defence for us but assuming we are cutting ties with Smalling and Jones then having Bailly/Rojo with Maguire/Tuanzebe wouldn't be a disaster in my mind. Granted hes not gunna get multi-million addidas deals or appear on bill boards but he's 23, confident, technically good footballer. If Mourinho is keeping Smalling/Jones then obviously Maguire isn't needed.
    You've lost it man. United are the biggest club in the world, built on multi million Adidas deals and billboards.

If you can't remember Jones or Smalling dribbling the ball upfield then you must not have watched them much in the past. Mourinho doesn't really encourage it but in the past they've shown they could do it, Jones better than Smalling. Not to an elite level but as good as Harry Maguire.

Liam O wrote: »
    You've lost it man. United are the biggest club in the world, built on multi million Adidas deals and billboards.

If you can't remember Jones or Smalling dribbling the ball upfield then you must not have watched them much in the past. Mourinho doesn't really encourage it but in the past they've shown they could do it, Jones better than Smalling. Not to an elite level but as good as Harry Maguire.
    Jones and Smalling dribbled forward plenty when they played RB but neither have been adventerous from the central spots. But I do suppose Maguire likely fits Spurs and Pochettino's style more than our new ethos. He'll have a solid career anyway.

Should get line ups soon anyway. Axel and Scott starting hopefully.

Technically Jones and smalling aren't near McGuire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Jones and Smalling dribbled forward plenty when they played RB but neither have been adventerous from the central spots. But I do suppose Maguire likely fits Spurs and Pochettino's style more than our new ethos. He'll have a solid career anyway.

Smalling and Jones have done it many times. Some times people take it too far with controversial opinions.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Smalling and Jones have done it many times. Some times people take it too far with controversial opinions.

I hereby swear to follow the hive mind. Now wtf are the line ups.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/863763349649186817

Whats going on at the back there???

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/863763349649186817

5 at the back wooop let's be having ya attack attack attack

Or blind in defensive midfield and Smalling left back

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement