Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I made a terrible mistake for tomorrow. I thought United were kicking off at 1pm for some reason and arranged the young ones birthday party for 3pm.
    I think I may hide upstairs and watch it as a load of hyper 5 and 6 year olds run riot.If I don't post here again then ye will know the missus has killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Did I hear Jose say there is a small chance of Mata coming back towards the end of the season? Badly need him if there is even a small chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lukker- wrote: »
    You can walk around fine after for a bit until the swelling starts. Not much medical staff can do to evaluate it without an MRI. The only person who'd know is the player, as the pop when it ruptures is very noticeable (and audible), but I'd imagine that they might not even notice in the heat of the moment.
    I don't mine a few years back and there was no pop.. I also played on for 10 mins trying to run it off.. general consensus across a thread here on boards is that no two ACL injuries are identical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Best defender and top scorer out for the most important part of the season with ACL's.

Fúcking poxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Have these cruciate injuries been confirmed yet or are we just speculating ? Have seen it all over but nothing concrete from Utd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have these cruciate injuries been confirmed yet or are we just speculating ? Have seen it all over but nothing concrete from Utd

Duncan Castle ran the story, and he seems to be reliable enough with Jose based news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

J. Marston wrote: »
    Best defender and top scorer out for the most important part of the season with ACL's.

Fúcking poxed.

Imagine saying that about Rojo 12 months ago?

So sad for Zlatan, as a player he's up there with scholes as my favourite. read his book 2 years ago and when I heard he was signing for us I was elated.

I really really hope he's offered a coaching role as I believe he could teach Marcus and Martial so much. I think Rashfords overall game has come on so much and I think Ibra is a big part of that.

Mind you I'd LOVE to see him lift the English premiership next year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Did I hear Jose say there is a small chance of Mata coming back towards the end of the season? Badly need him if there is even a small chance

I think initially he was out until early/mid May but a week or so ago I think they confirmed it is definitely the end of the season as far as I know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think initially he was out until early/mid May but a week or so ago I think they confirmed it is definitely the end of the season as far as I know :(

He said is press conference maybe he will be back for early may we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like De Gea has put his house up for sale.

zerks wrote: »

This summer is going to be a roller coaster. If Ibra is definitely gone for a while, and we lose DDG, as well as Rooney, Carrick....team is going to need such a massive facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

As unlikely as it is, what about trying to do a cash plus De Gea for Bale deal with Madrid, that is if DDG really does want to go. I know player swaps rarely happen but it could be Utd's best chance to sign Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

So DDG will likely go to Madrid for ?60m. Possibly Carrick and Rooney gone too.

We'll probably lay end up signing Lloris and Dier after bending over again for Levy for ?150m :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »

Could be the reason why Kasper and Peter where in the director box on Thursday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This summer is going to be a roller coaster. If Ibra is definitely gone for a while, and we lose DDG, as well as Rooney, Carrick....team is going to need such a massive facelift.

Another huge summer hopefully DDG stays and I'd like to see Carrick get one more year.
    Imo there is 4 first team spots up for grabs and possibly as many as 6 (depending who leaves/not seen as first choice).
    Ideally no one's leaves that is needed and only a few key areas are upgraded.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Could be the reason why Kasper and Peter where in the director box on Thursday :D

Did think when I saw that the journalists would jump on that. Woody was right behind them too.

Wouldn't want Kasper near the club.Not at the level imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

yabadabado wrote: »
    Wouldn't want Kasper near the club.Not at the level imo

I think it's going to be a real problem for us and one we could really do without.

You need a top quality keeper and they are few and far between. The team is still in transition as it is and at least De Gea has been a constant presence. More disruption.

Romero is no where good enough to be our no 1 imo. I really don't know who can replace him and it's a problem the club could do without with so much work probably being needed to be done in the summer.

Three years since Fergie left and the squad still needs a lot of work done to it. No sign of a settled back 4 and now possibly needing a new keeper on top of everything is pretty depressing.

So many players signed and so much money wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Daily Mail claimed that Oblak has been scouted by United in case De Gea leaves.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Daily Mail claimed that Oblak has been scouted by United in case De Gea leaves.

Id like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

DeGea under other managers we couldn't afford to lose . Under Jose our defence has been so so much better. Personally i say give Romero his shot. He's been solid in the Europa league and any game he's had to stand in for Dave.

I don't think it's as big a loss as other players in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not sure how anyone can declare Romero is nowhere near food enough when he's been pretty excellent every game he's played for us. Strange.

adox wrote: »
    I think it's going to be a real problem for us and one we could really do without.

You need a top quality keeper and they are few and far between. The team is still in transition as it is and at least De Gea has been a constant presence. More disruption.

Romero is no where good enough to be our no 1 imo. I really don't know who can replace him and it's a problem the club could do without with so much work probably being needed to be done in the summer.

Three years since Fergie left and the squad still needs a lot of work done to it. No sign of a settled back 4 and now possibly needing a new keeper on top of everything is pretty depressing.

Ideally DDG stays ,Shaw,Valencia and Bailly are first choice and a partner is signed for Bailly.
    DDG leaving and Shaw not getting a run at LB is adding to problems Jose could do without.

A CB,DM a proper out and out winger and a CF are the priority now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jayop wrote: »
    Not sure how anyone can declare Romero is nowhere near food enough when he's been pretty excellent every game he's played for us. Strange.

no he's not near food enough :D

Going against the grain here but I'd like kasper. He has come on leaps and bounds this season and is a leader of his defence.

Watching the Leicester game against Madrid the other night they concede a goal and instead if the common bang the pitch and look disgusted he was up to his feet shouting and pointing where he wanted the defenders to go.

He is a fist class shot stopper too use to be prone to one or two mistakes but he has been solid for the past six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »

Thats what three wasted years has done for us, but hopefully the club doesn't dwell on it or let it influence future transfer decisions, because no doubt about it the team needs a hell of a lot of work before it gets back on top.

Our squad is fine but we are very lacking in top quality first teamers, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in three years time there are 7/8 new faces in what we would consider our best first eleven.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

De Gea would be a loss on and off the pitch.

I expect the club and Jose have known his plans for a while and have a replacement lined up.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Going against the grain here but I'd like kasper. He has come on leaps and bounds this season and is a leader of his defence.

Watching the Leicester game against Madrid the other night they concede a goal and instead if the common bang the pitch and look disgusted he was up to his feet shouting and pointing where he wanted the defenders to go.

He is a fist class shot stopper too use to be prone to one or two mistakes but he has been solid for the past six months.

It would be akin to replacing any of our CB's with Micheal Keane though, we could possibly do it but what would be the point?

Kasper is a perfectly good goalkeeper, just like Romero is a perfectly good goalkeeper, unless it was going to be a noticeable upgrade then logic says to stick with the guy we already have.

It would be akin to replacing any of our CB's with Micheal Keane though, we could possibly do it but what would be the point?

Kasper is a perfectly good goalkeeper, just like Romero is a perfectly good goalkeeper, unless it was going to be a noticeable upgrade then logic says to stick with the guy we already have.

Kasper is proven over the course if a career he has won a league title in the premiership where as Romero is coming in for cup games he has only ever played 4 seasons where he played over 35 games and the last of them were years back.

Kasper is far above the level of Romero in my opinion and is proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Thats what three wasted years has done for us, but hopefully the club doesn't dwell on it or let it influence future transfer decisions, because no doubt about it the team needs a hell of a lot of work before it gets back on top.

Our squad is fine but we are very lacking in top quality first teamers, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in three years time there are 7/8 new faces in what we would consider our best first eleven.

If the manager needs seven or eight new faces in the first XI to take this team to the required level than that is a serious enditement of his abilities. There is a criminal underrating of the quality of players at the club going on in this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »
    If the manager needs seven or eight new faces in the first XI to take this team to the required level than that is a serious enditement of his abilities. There is a criminal underrating of the quality of players at the club going on in this thread.

Over 3 seasons/years though?

Right now its not an outrageous suggestion.

Some changes have to happen (replace Carrick, Zlatan and over that period Valencia), probably need a new CB, GK if Ge Gea leaves. That is 5 alone.

God, I'd love to see Harry Kane at United. Never going to happen I'm sure, but he is a real goalscorer imo.

Kasper is proven over the course if a career he has won a league title in the premiership where as Romero is coming in for cup games he has only ever played 4 seasons where he played over 35 games and the last of them were years back.

Kasper is far above the level of Romero in my opinion and is proven.

Kasper Schmeichel is proven at what?

He scratched about in the lower leagues till his mid twenties, joined Championship side Leicester at 25 and while he has done a very good job for them, their remarkable title success no more makes him United standard than it does Danny Drinkwater or Wes Morgan.

Proven over the course of a career? Sure, I think his career very accurately reflects his level of ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Would love if we could sign Kane. He'd be my top pick for new striker.

mewe wrote: »

Dpmt think he'd leave so long as Poch is there. Maybe even if he wasn't he'd break the world record given his age and nationality. He really is on a different level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

mewe wrote: »

He'd be mad to leave Spurs right now imo. Unless Poch leaves this summer which would also be mad, we might have a chance, but if not we'd probably have to break the transfer record again.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Dpmt think he'd leave so long as Poch is there. Maybe even if he wasn't he'd break the world record given his age and nationality. He really is on a different level though.

Pogba & Smalling in a swap deal for Kane & Toby? :D:D

• Advertisement

Pogba & Smalling in a swap deal for Kane & Toby? :D:D

Wouldn't swap Pogba for the world ;)

He scratched about in the lower leagues till his mid twenties, joined Championship side Leicester at 25 and while he has done a very good job for them, their remarkable title success no more makes him United standard than it does Danny Drinkwater or Wes Morgan.

Proven over the course of a career? Sure, I think his career very accurately reflects his level of ability.

He is proven to be a quality keeper. It's easy to right off what he has achieved because he worked his way up threw the league's and because it's Leicester he won the league with but he has been fantastic for them this year and has been an improving keeper for years that's coming into his prime now.

What has oblak or the whoever else is getable proven in England? Oblak is having another decent year on Spain and he was very good before that in Germany but he could be an absolute flop on england.

I'm not saying kasper is the best out there they are not many keepers like wlde gea but he would be a excellent keeper for a top club.

He is proven to be a quality keeper. It's easy to right off what he has achieved because he worked his way up threw the league's and because it's Leicester he won the league with but he has been fantastic for them this year and has been an improving keeper for years that's coming into his prime now.

What has oblak or the whoever else is getable proven in England? Oblak is having another decent year on Spain and he was very good before that in Germany but he could be an absolute flop on england.

I'm not saying kasper is the best out there they are not many keepers like wlde gea but he would be a excellent keeper for a top club.

Well you are happy to write off world cup finalist Sergio Romero, despite him having an excellent record for us in the games he played. And that was the choice, not Oblak or whoever, it was to replace a very good keeper in Romero with another good keeper in Kasper Schmeichel. There is no point to that move.

If De Gea goes we would want to replace him with the best keeper we can get. In the interim we need a quality keeper who has never let us down. Luckily we already have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Didn't his dad scratch around with Brondby until he was 27!? Similar standard to the Championship, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lots of nervous moments in the Anderlecht game.

He's had a good season but everyone should be able to acknowledge while he's a decent keeper who's performed well he's not an elite goalkeeper.

I've never been a big fan of his and his performances this season have raised my opinion of him but the fact he wasn't getting a game at a mid level Italian club before he arrived says enough.

Well you are happy to write off world cup finalist Sergio Romero, despite him having an excellent record for us in the games he played. And that was the choice, not Oblak or whoever, it was to replace a very good keeper in Romero with another good keeper in Kasper Schmeichel. There is no point to that move.

If De Gea goes we would want to replace him with the best keeper we can get. In the interim we need a quality keeper who has never let us down. Luckily we already have that.

So you would be happy going into next season with Romero and Sam Johnstone and the young Portuguese chap as our keepers next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone notice Hazard is still looking over his shoulder for Herrera

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Didn't his dad scratch around with Brondby until he was 27!? Similar standard to the Championship, I'd imagine.

Wow

Such a retort.

Take a bow my son.

beno619 wrote: »
    Lots of nervous moments in the Anderlecht game.

He's had a good season but everyone should be able to acknowledge while he's a decent keeper who's performed well he's not an elite goalkeeper.

I've never been a big fan of his and his performances this season have raised my opinion of him but the fact he wasn't getting a game at a mid level Italian club before he arrived says enough.

Nervous yes, caused by him? Not even in the slightest.

So you would be happy going into next season with Romero and Sam Johnstone and the young Portuguese chap as our keepers next year?

I would be perfectly content yes, because Sergio Romero has done fine for us. More to the point, I would be happier going into next season with Romero than I would with Kasper Schmeichel, which was the original point.
    Wow

Such a retort.

Take a bow my son.

It was no retort at all, because it totally missed the point of the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nervous yes, caused by him? Not even in the slightest.

He certainly contributed to it imo. There were a couple of spills.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement