Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

I sincerely hope that putting all the eggs in the Europa basket doesn't end up as scrambled eggs, we limped through quarter final and semi final. The only decent performance of late was when be beat Chelsea, and we beat them well..
    Very frustrating season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rod Munch wrote: »
    @ Lucky Lloyd, I believe it was yourself I had a €50 charity bet with that we would get top 4 this year, it's officially gone now so name your charity and I will do the honours.

Genuinely had forgotten that mate, fair play.

The Simon Community do great work, and are particularly vital in recent years.

I think ye will beat Ajax and end up feeling positive about your season by the way. Cheers.

• Kind of sums up my feelings
    I'm moaning bad at the moment but still

https://youtu.be/RHWNmxvpIFo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That Chelsea win feels like long time ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stephen Carr was on Pl player of year teams while at Spurs, so no idea what he is a surprise.

Shame what happened to him, back in the very early 2000s before we realised Ian Harte didn't know what defending was or how to do it, we were looking like having an extremely promising decade at FB ahead of us. Was very happy for him during his resurgence at Birmingham.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Losing Ibra was huge.

Getting the ball to him with people running off him was helping United get control of games and create chances. It wasnt perfect, at times it made us to slow but holding the ball up helped Miki, Mata, Herrera get on the ball, helped Valencia get forward in periods of posession. Breaks were still possible with Rashford or Martial wide.

When Rashford got a chance up front he provided a new problem for other sides but Zlatan and the style of the side had more balance with a stronger guy up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I think ye will beat Ajax and end up feeling positive about your season by the way. Cheers.

Good choice, I hope yer right about the cup final, I wouldn't bet on it at this stage though!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Another bleeding Adrian

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

astradave wrote: »
    Another bleeding Adrian

:D

Is this a highlander moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

There's atleast 15 Adrian's here at this rate, show yourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

secman wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that putting all the eggs in the Europa basket doesn't end up as scrambled eggs, we limped through quarter final and semi final. The only decent performance of late was when be beat Chelsea, and we beat them well..
    Very frustrating season.

We didn't put all our eggs in the EL basket. That's just an excuse rather than admitting we're deservedly the sixth best team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

DM_7 wrote: »
    Losing Ibra was huge.

I don't think it has affected anything so far. We weren't getting fourth even with Ibra in the side. We have still got to the EL final without him.

We will possibly miss him in the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I think everyone at this stage will be devastated if we lose the Europa final. We've come so far, arguably sacrificed the league, lost some of our best players (Ibra&Rojo) and had some pretty hard defeats to take all for this one game which we need to win.

If we lose the final, it's gonna have some impact on our transfer window and set the base for a nasty long summer of conflict and arguments between fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The S*n are saying Carrick will be offered a 1 year extension and will also coach the u23's.

In other paper talk,The Star are claiming we'll offer £110 million for Diet,Rose and Walker from Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Howya lads.

Season ends this weekend so the paid league is looking as follows;

1 NMT FC 2137
    2 BettySwallox 2103
    3 ReigningZlatsandPogs 2096
    4 Borussia Mitmachen 2080
    5 Absolutely fabregas 1993

16 participants = 160 quid prize-money.

1st - 90 euro
    2nd - 40 euro
    3rd - 20 euro
    4th - 10 euro

Let me know if you are all happy with this break down. I usually do 10 back for the worst participant but it's me this year so 4th gets their money back!

Anyone heading to Stockholm? Myself and the auld lad got tickets in the general lottery in March so are heading over.

Cheers boys and girls.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

zerks wrote: »

In other paper talk,The Star are claiming we'll offer £110 million for Diet,Rose and Walker from Spurs.

Nonsense

Newspapers and media outlets should be made pay a fine to charity for every non-verifiable rumour they write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I'm heading over to Southampton on Wednesday - going to be a complete waste of money a cracker.

Mokuba wrote: »
    I'm heading over to Southampton on Wednesday - going to be a complete waste of money a cracker.

At least you will more than likely have a strong side playing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You'd imagine Southampton will see us at full strength as a dry run for the finals, and then players rested against Palace again.

• I don't think it has affected anything so far. We weren't getting fourth even with Ibra in the side. We have still got to the EL final without him.

We will possibly miss him in the final though.

The last final he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won us the League Cup practically on his own.

Who do we depend on if that's the case in the Europa League final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The last final he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won us the League Cup practically on his own.

It all depends who he plays and what way we are set up to play on the night.

I dont know but its do or die for a lot of United players and this final is a time to stand up and be counted.

I hope Carrick starts, he would be the man in my eyes to stand up and take charge on his potential last game

• beakerjoe wrote: »

I dont know but its do or die for a lot of United players and this final is a time to stand up and be counted.

I hope Carrick starts, he would be the man in my eyes to stand up and take charge on his potential last game

Pretty much. I'd argue the so called "nothing" PL games are equally as important from a preparation point of view. 3 game loss on the trot should be unthinkable but worryingly it could easily happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beakerjoe wrote: »

If there is one thing I wouldn't bet upon it's many of our current squad standing up to be counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Hopefully pogba will step up and mkhitaryan that's why we signed them. Pogba needs to put in the type performance he put in against celta in first leg.

• Advertisement

Who would people prefer to start?

Id like

Romero
    Valencia Blind Jones Darmian
    Fellaini Pogba Carrick
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Rashford

Bailly is such a blow, he really does a great job in the CB position over all of our other CBs

Yermanden posts about twice a year and now tells us they are heading to the EL Final.

#posttogloat :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Id like

Romero
    Fellaini Pogba Carrick
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Rashford

Bailly is such a blow, he really does a great job in the CB position over all of our other CBs

Herrera for Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lads, what happens mourinho if we lose the EL final? Is he out the door? Finishing sixth with a whimper and no CL will leave not a lot of excuses for him to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

yermandan wrote: »
    Howya lads.

Season ends this weekend so the paid league is looking as follows;

1 NMT FC 2137
    2 BettySwallox 2103
    3 ReigningZlatsandPogs 2096
    4 Borussia Mitmachen 2080
    5 Absolutely fabregas 1993

16 participants = 160 quid prize-money.

1st - 90 euro
    2nd - 40 euro
    3rd - 20 euro
    4th - 10 euro

Let me know if you are all happy with this break down. I usually do 10 back for the worst participant but it's me this year so 4th gets their money back!

Anyone heading to Stockholm? Myself and the auld lad got tickets in the general lottery in March so are heading over.

Cheers boys and girls.

D

That player with team name "ReigningZlatsandPogs" should get all the prize money as he is a top guy and the team name is amazing. :P

Yeah I'm ok with the breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Herrera for Fellaini.

Yeah I think we are starting Herrera there.

Herrera for Carrick.. Ajax would be all over Carrick pressing wise and we all know how that would play out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Id like

Romero
    Fellaini Pogba Carrick
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Rashford

What we would like and what we will see is two different things :D

I don't think Carrick should be near the starting lineup, can't cope in games against good opposition and Ajax will steam around him. Hererra sitting with Pogba alongside Fellaini is our best midfield three at present.

Back four is a bit of a cluster****, but would imagine Valencia and Darmian on the fullback slots with Jones alongside Blind in CB.

Mhiky and Martial flanking Rashford is what I would like, but I imagine we will see Lingaard get the nod ahead of Martial.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Hopefully pogba will step up and mkhitaryan that's why we signed them. Pogba needs to put in the type performance he put in against celta in first leg.

In the first leg we took the game to them, we were setup a completely different way in OT (Negatively).
    Pogba actually had a decent enough game even in the second leg but the system wasn't designed to use him to the best of his abilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

thelad95 wrote: »
    Lads, what happens mourinho if we lose the EL final? Is he out the door? Finishing sixth with a whimper and no CL will leave not a lot of excuses for him to be honest.

Not a chance tbh.

Yeah, it will have been a very, very poor season if that happens, but my take would be he still deserves the summer. At the end of the day, if we switch managers AGAIN, they'd need to restart the whole process again, it kills another transfer window, etc. Plus...who'd you replace him with? There'd not be a better manager available to be honest.

• thelad95 wrote: »

No. Achieves nothing. I agree with most of what TSC is saying above.

Jones and Smalling at CB wouldn't fill me with confidence against Ajax. They constantly look like accidents waiting to happen. Smalling caught napping again yesterday as Kane got in front of him for his goal.

Who'd have imagined last year that we'd miss Rojo at CB.

Its a great name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Excellent choice LuckyLloyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would be very surprised if, barring injury, it isn't Jones and Smalling at CB. I don't think Jose particularly rates Blind there and the next two games will bring the other pair on again in terms of fitness and match practice, I'd expect them to get the nod.

And it doesn't worry me too much to be honest, they are no more likely than Blind to have a brain fart. Far more concerning is who is going to step up and get the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lingard to score in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

RobertKK wrote: »

Was thinking will he start with his goal record

RobertKK wrote: »

And after the game reveal his real name is Adrian

zerks wrote: »
    Jones and Smalling at CB wouldn't fill me with confidence against Ajax. They constantly look like accidents waiting to happen. Smalling caught napping again yesterday as Kane got in front of him for his goal.

Who'd have imagined last year that we'd miss Rojo at CB.

We never replaced Vidic and Ferdinand.

I dont rate any of our center halfs highly bar Bailly.

Blind never convinces me, though he works very hard hes just not a CB in my eyes. Smalling is an out and out liability. Jones is too injury prone and Rojo, who performed really well this year, is still a headless chciken in many respects.

We need someone experienced at the top level to be signed in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm suprised someone suggested Randolph a few days ago as a goalkeeper. Surely it would be Adrian that would be a more popular choice for the Adrians of Manchester United?

If I knew how to post image I would have inserted Rocky's "Adrian" but alas.

Blind could slot easily into Carrick's position, he can pass and shoot. A bit of a waste playing him at CB or LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GK: Romero
    RCB: Jones
    CB: Smalling
    LCB: Blind
    RWB: Valencia
    LWB: Young
    DMC: Herrera
    MC: Pogba
    MC: Fellaini
    AMC: Mata
    ST: Rashford

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hococop wrote: »
    Was thinking will he start with his goal record

He could start, think he is someone that Jose really trusts on the pitch, but he will definitely barring injury play some role in the final, whether he starts or not who knows.
    I think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Good afternoon,

I'm new.

Just throwing it out there, but I wouldn't mind Carrick filling in at CB (he's done it before) if he plays a back 3.

I don't think Blind should play on recent performances.

• Advertisement

• RockSalto wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

I'm new.

Just throwing it out there, but I wouldn't mind Carrick filling in at CB (he's done it before) if he plays a back 3.

I don't think Blind should play on recent performances.

Welcome, always nice to see a new poster.

Carrick as CB for what game??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement