Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Whatever about the rest of the team he HAS to have DDG in goal, I'd be amazed if he hasnt the kohunas to put his best keeper in., he gambled 4th place away to win this cup. It's irrelevant that Romero has played this far, it's a final, have to put best 11 available out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

RockSalto wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

I'm new.

Just throwing it out there, but I wouldn't mind Carrick filling in at CB (he's done it before) if he plays a back 3.

I don't think Blind should play on recent performances.

Hi Rocksalto, WELCOME!

Its def an option. Jose has a few big decisions to make with his squad.

A good varition on who folks want/predict to start is fascinating. Who will play at CB is one! Will Jose play with 3 and 2 wing backs or a flat back four with a dedicated DM? Who will be deplyed into the 3 midfield positions? Who will play out wide?

Rashford, Romero, Pogba, Valencia and Blind seem to be nailed on for sure based on Joses teams starting in the EL. Id guess Martial will be left out too.

Mata, Fellaini, Herrera and Carrick going for 2 midfield positions will be a head ache with Lingard, Martial and Mka all going for teh attacking spots.

One thing looks certain, Rooney hopefully wont be considered.

secman wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of the team he HAS to have DDG in goal, I'd be amazed if he hasnt the kohunas to put his best keeper in., he gambled 4th place away to win this cup. It's irrelevant that Romero has played this far, it's a final, have to put best 11 available out.

Hes already confirmed that bar an injury, Romero will start.

Big call, lets hope its the right one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I reckon...
    Romero
    Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Darmian
    Pogba - Herrera
    Mkhitaryan - Mata - Martial
    Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hi Rocksalto, WELCOME!

A good varition on who folks want/predict to start is fascinating. Who will play at CB is one! Will Jose play with 3 and 2 wing backs or a flat back four with a dedicated DM? Who will be deplyed into the 3 midfield positions? Who will play out wide?

Rashford, Romero, Pogba, Valencia and Blind seem to be nailed on for sure based on Joses teams starting in the EL. Id guess Martial will be left out too.

Mata, Fellaini, Herrera and Carrick going for 2 midfield positions will be a head ache with Lingard, Martial and Mka all going for teh attacking spots.

A back four with Smalling-Jones is very wobbly. Blind or Carrick should join them. All of our Full backs can play wingback so Antonio goes right and Young/Darmian left. If we want to be adventurous Pogba and Herrera CM, Mata#10 and Martial - Rashford up top?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Welcome, always nice to see a new poster.

Carrick as CB for what game??

Pretty sure he played last season at CB for a game or two and the same under Ferguson at one point. Did quite well from what I can remember...
    Hi Rocksalto, WELCOME!

I agree. Rooney can't possibly play in this game given his form (for the last few seasons).

Herrera just has to play. As does Mkhi. I think he's the best attacking mid at the club and has been unlucky at times and poor at times with his finishing, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I think it's a good thing that Romero knows he's playing in such a big game and can prepare and get 100% focused, rather than being told that morning.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I reckon...
    Romero
    Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Darmian
    Pogba - Herrera
    Mkhitaryan - Mata - Martial
    Rashford

Is that who you want or who you predict?

I cant see Jose starting Martial myself, though Id rather have him starting. I can see Lingard getting the nod.

I think Fellaini will also get the start over Mata

jharr100 wrote: »
    I think it's a good thing that Romero knows he's playing in such a big game and can prepare and get 100% focused, rather than being told that morning.

Id play De Gea but Romero hasnt put a foot wrong in the games Ive seen him. Jose trusts him enough to stick with him, but yeah if it doesnt pay off Jose will be the one who gets the flack (and rightly so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Haven't seen Romero do a whole lot wrong when he plays.He deserves his starting spot in the team for the final.
    Anyhow, if Jose dropped him for Dave the entire anti-Jose,ABU's etc would be out in force screaming about how much of a cnut Jose is for doing such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just throwing it out there, but I wouldn't mind Carrick filling in at CB (he's done it before) if he plays a back 3.

You can't use recent performances as a yardstick but then say Carrick should play, his performances have been worse than anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have a random question.

Does anyone know of a decent bar in Dubrovnik that would be showing the EL final? Away on holiday for the week and hoping to catch it somewhere as opposed to streaming it from the phone.

he gambled 4th place away to win this cup.

Do people really believe this is true?

You can't use recent performances as a yardstick but then say Carrick should play, his performances have been worse than anybody.

Ideally, wouldn't need him there and I don't think he's been good enough to play in midfield, but just saying it's a role he could perhaps fill if needed.

Does anyone know of a decent bar in Dubrovnik that would be showing the EL final? Away on holiday for the week and hoping to catch it somewhere as opposed to streaming it from the phone.

Well it will be live on Youtube and TV3, but its the EL Final, most places will have it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ideally, wouldn't need him there and I don't think he's been good enough to play in midfield, but just saying it's a role he could perhaps fill if needed.

Agreed. Obviously if we had Bailly and Rojo we'd go with a back 4 but considering who our CB's are they need an extra man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

What are the chances Jose will park the bus and try to snatch it with a counter attack ..
    If it did go to pens I think I would fancy Dave over Romero.

The Gaffe Pub (Irish Bar) and there's Mario Sports Bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd like

De Gea
    Valencia Blind Carrick Darmian
    Fellaini Pogba Herrera
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Rashford

But think it'll be

Romero
    Valencia Smalling Jones Blind
    Fellaini Pogba Herrera
    Mkhitaryan Lingard
    Rashford

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I really don't like the use of the work gamble to describe this to be honest. He took a very solid tactical decision. Realistically, fourth was long gone. We were never going to get there with the squad in the state it was in and the run-in we had. I think Jose made the right call in the circumstances.

If he had pushed for fourth, it's incredibly likely we would get 5th and would be out of Europe. What would have been a disaster.

We are in a European final and a game away from Champions league and another cup (one we have never won).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ajax wrapped up their season yesterday by the looks of it and will have ten days to prepare for the United game whereas we have three days. The PL does absolutely nothing to help the teams representing it in Europe does it.

My problem is slightly different to Castletownman.I'm meant to be working the evening of the final. I think I'll book a few hours off,feck the begrudgers.

zerks wrote: »
    My problem is slightly different to Castletownman.I'm meant to be working the evening of the final. I think I'll book a few hours off,feck the begrudgers.

Same as that. Sickening

Dave has saved 11 in his career, Romero 9. Dave probably against better takers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

zerks wrote: »
    The Gaffe Pub (Irish Bar) and there's Mario Sports Bar.

Cheers. I shall hopefully convince the OH to stay out for the night should United win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Good afternoon,

I'm new.

Welcome to the thread.

If you could answer the following few questions honestly and truthfully, we will know what box to put you in
    • Your thoughts on Nani
    • Wayne Rooney is a club legend, discuss
    • Moyes could have been our next Fergie - True or False
    • Please detail in no less then 2000 words, "The United Way"
    • What position did Daley Blind receive Erdevise Player of the Year, before joining United?
    • Angel Di Maria was a A)Pussy B)Brilliant Maverick C)Brutally mismanaged D)Pussy
    • It's only realistic to accept focusing on certain trophies, because we play 43576 games a season - True or False

*Only messing, have fun!

Zlatan is back in Manchester, hopefully Jose takes him along with the squad as an experienced voice for the lads in the dressing room in Sweden.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ajax wrapped up their season yesterday by the looks of it and will have ten days to prepare for the United game whereas we have three days. The PL does absolutely nothing to help the teams representing it in Europe does it.

Thankfully Palace are safe and relegation has been decided. I would hope and expect to see a team full of kids on the final day.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread.

If you could answer the following few questions honestly and truthfully, we will know what box to put you in
    • Your thoughts on Nani
    • What position did Daley Blind receive Erdevise Player of the Year, before joining United?
    • Angel Di Maria was a A)Pussy B)Brilliant Maverick C)Brutally mismanaged D)Pussy
    • It's only realistic to accept focusing on certain trophies, because we play 43576 games a season - True or False

*Only messing, have fun!

Doc forget to ask whether Anderson was fat and also whether we are ever going to sign Vidal. I've been quiet on the latter point but I'm going to say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Welcome to the thread.

• Your thoughts on Nani

*Only messing, have fun!

Hey I never got the questionnaire!

And yet somehow we contrived to make three finals in four years, have won it, Chelsea have won it, Liverpool have won it, Arsenal reached a final and plenty have gone into the quarters and semi's.

It's almost as if , its like, a self fulfilling prophecy, that if you tell players they will be tired...they get tired

:D:D

I have to laugh how it's being painted as an "advantage" with teams not being in the Champions League. Spurs were wretched in the CL this season, and most English sides have been piss for a good few years now.

There is some potential arguments there in terms of how much more competitive our league is, but I say potential because I think it's bollox. It's excuses for a slip in standards across the board, not just our club, but most of the English sides. And that it is being ready accepted is sad.

Champions league is still the pinnacle of European football, and club competition. Some managers and players would do well to remember that.

Had someone have a pop at me yesterday about my "higher then thou" attitude and asking if I even support the team? Nonsense not worth responding to, but it's worth everyone remembering that we arn't asking for miracles here. We arn't looking for some impossibility. We are looking for what has happened for over 15 years, and what many other clubs do on a regular basis. Compete in the league and the champions league. It's not an unrealistic request and should be the minimum each and every year.

It's totally fine to accept some mirade in the lurch from the effects of Ferguson leaving, that's the clubs fault for not being prepared.

Premier league title challenge, Champions league run into last 16-8, FA Cup into semi's. That is what should be the minimum standard of expectations each season. And mitigating circumstances throughout can dictate that expectation shifting. Only one team can win them, so its not expecting to win things all the time. You can make it up anyway you want, at some point, the club needs to get back to those start of season expectations.

Antibac wrote: »
    Hey I never got the questionnaire!

While it is a joke questionnaire, it does give a gist of the type of ****e, I mean serious discussion, we use to hit each other over the head with.
    I'd love to read your answers though (except the 2000 word essay, I'd accept 600 words.). :D:D:D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    While it is a joke questionnaire, it does give a gist of the type of ****e, I mean serious discussion, we use to hit each other over the head with.
    I'd love to read your answers though (except the 2000 word essay, I'd accept 600 words.). :D:D:D

Who do you think he is?

That he can wrap the United way, it's history and traditions into just 600 words. What sorcery is this?

Is that who you want or who you predict?

I cant see Jose starting Martial myself, though Id rather have him starting. I can see Lingard getting the nod.

I think Fellaini will also get the start over Mata

Column a and b.

I forgot about Lingard, so yeah, he'd be in ahead of Martial. Fellaini in for Mata wouldn't shock me either come to think of it.

Re: Romero

Am I right in saying no matter what happens in the finals, he will get the award for most clean sheets in the competition?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/europa-league/weisseweste/pokalwettbewerb/EL

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread.

• Your thoughts on Nani

*Only messing, have fun!
    • Your thoughts on Nani
    Inconsistent, but brilliant at times. Sold too soon. Could've still done a good job on the right wing.
    Club legend, but performances over the last 2 seasons have not been good. A liability at the moment. Best years behind him. Time to move on. I actually though that time was last year.
    False. Do I need to go into why? ;)
    The United Way = the hard way. I can give you 2000 examples :D
    Defensive Mid. Thought he'd have had that position sewn up at United by now.
    C...with sprinkles of A and D.
    Although there is no accounting for the amount of injuries sustained, the potential number of games wasn't a surprise. Perhaps not helped by the schedule in April in particular though.

I guess there comes a time in a season like before the Arsenal game when you have to reassess things though.

True and False! :)

Don Balon saying that Madrid have agreed to terminate the contract of Kaylor Navas at the end of the season.Prepare for a Summer of them and the press tormenting us about Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Agreed to terminate? As in, paying him up and sending him off on a free?

Sign him up, keep De Gea, sell Navas on

#profit #winning #welldonefellaini

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Thankfully Palace are safe and relegation has been decided. I would hope and expect to see a team full of kids on the final day.

Yeah it's still a game to play though, still going to have to be on the bench, still going to have to prepare for the game, go through warm ups and cool downs. Not ideal so close to a major final.

Doc you went on a bit if a rant there so I'll not quote the whole thing and just answer in general.

The FA have always been either completely against European football or ambivalent about it in the later days. All the other major leagues try to arrange their domestic fixtures to give their teams a better chance of doing well in Europe. We don't and that's a fact. I think English clubs at their peak can do well in Europe despite this but I feel we could be doing better with more help from the FA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doc you went on a bit if a rant there so I'll not quote the whole thing and just answer in general.

The FA have always been either completely against European football or ambivalent about it in the later days. All the other major leagues try to arrange their domestic fixtures to give their teams a better chance of doing well in Europe. We don't and that's a fact. I think English clubs at their peak can do well in Europe despite this but I feel we could be doing better with more help from the FA.
    I don't think the FA could help clubs in Europe because don't think they would be able to do so without it being unfair to the teams that are not in Europe.

Clubs also get some say in rearrangements I think - United and City were in discussions over when the recent thursday night game would be (either the wednesday or the thursday I think, were the options) so one club could just point blank refuse the fixture move. (I think moves for TV are different)

I think the bigger issue in England is that there are two cup competitions - I don't think that is common elsewhere - and that adds to the number of games and congestion caused by blocking some of the available dates for cup fixtures only.

I don't think the FA could help clubs in Europe because don't think they would be able to do so without it being unfair to the teams that are not in Europe.

Clubs also get some say in rearrangements I think - United and City were in discussions over when the recent thursday night game would be (either the wednesday or the thursday I think, were the options) so one club could just point blank refuse the fixture move. (I think moves for TV are different)

I think the bigger issue in England is that there are two cup competitions - I don't think that is common elsewhere - and that adds to the number of games and congestion caused by blocking some of the available dates for cup fixtures only.

They should take a look at how the cup is run in Spain,they compress all the games into a few weeks, fans love it and clubs take it seriously. It's all over and done with so they can concentrated on LA Liga and Europe.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread.

• Your thoughts on Nani

*Only messing, have fun!
    You forgot the following:

"Should never have gotten rid of 'Little pea'" Discuss

Big Phil is the best CB in world Football. Discuss.

#freebrinty?

Is Mata Cup tied?

When will M!Ck^ be carded next?

Berbatov was a legend or was he overrated?

True or False:
    Liverpool are ****?

Answer (A): True
    Answer (B): True
    Answer (C): True
    Answer (D): True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm going to be in Manchester on the day of the final but I'll be in the Etihad for most of the day.

Wondering where a good, safe place with an atmosphere close to the train station would be to watch it?

He's a Spurs legend, they claimed him yesterday.

You forgot the following:
    "Should never have gotten rid of 'Little pea'" Discuss
    Would've been happy to keep him if he was happy to play a bit part. Not a starter, but great to have in the squad.
    Big Phil is the best CB in world Football. Discuss.
    Better than Paul McGrath. With Ankles of steal.
    #freebrinty?
    Who?
    Is Mata Cup tied?
    I hope not! :)
    When will M!Ck^ be carded next?
    24th May around 9:40pm! :pac:
    A luxury. Somewhat of an enigma. A brilliant player though, maybe just not always for United.
    True or False:
    Liverpool are ****?

Answer (A): True
    Answer (B): True
    Answer (C): True
    Answer (D): True
    True
    Definitely True
    100% True
    Never a truer word said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He's a Spurs legend, they claimed him yesterday.

They also claimed Stephen Carr to be a club legend hmmm

Welcome to the thread.

• Your thoughts on Nani

*Only messing, have fun!

Can i still answer these? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

May as well throw out the request too, going to be in Maastricht for the final...any decent spots to watch the game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement