Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

TheDoc wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread.

If you could answer the following few questions honestly and truthfully, we will know what box to put you in
    • Your thoughts on Nani
    • Wayne Rooney is a club legend, discuss
    • Moyes could have been our next Fergie - True or False
    • Please detail in no less then 2000 words, "The United Way"
    • What position did Daley Blind receive Erdevise Player of the Year, before joining United?
    • Angel Di Maria was a A)Pussy B)Brilliant Maverick C)Brutally mismanaged D)Pussy
    • It's only realistic to accept focusing on certain trophies, because we play 43576 games a season - True or False

*Only messing, have fun!

For Futureguy. Here you go!

Nani was the most frustrating awesome player who needed an arm around his shoulder-which is why he done well with Fergie.

Rooney will be a legend. Very few attain that status while still playing.The mists of time will sort that

False-Moyes was picked because he shared some similar traits to Fergie. Might as well pick me to be the next Roy Keane because I'm Irish. Mid table Manager at best.

The United Way is the Ferguson Way. We were no better at showing loyalty to managers or a certain style of play. Something for the Sky Sports generation.

Blind was a centre back when he won the player of the year. Was a full back the season before.

DiMaria was all of the above & a money hungry git

We are Manchester United-we should be aiming to win every match. Even Friendlies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blind won player of the year as a DM. We nearly kicked out of ajax for his centre back performances!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You forgot the following:

"Should never have gotten rid of 'Little pea'" Discuss

Big Phil is the best CB in world Football. Discuss.

#freebrinty?

Is Mata Cup tied?

When will M!Ck^ be carded next?

Berbatov was a legend or was he overrated?

True or False:
    Liverpool are ****?

Answer (A): True
    Answer (B): True
    Answer (C): True
    Answer (D): True

Let's get the hashtag#bringbacklittlepea going
    He'd be up for the BalonD'or only for injuries
    Defo
    Matas always cup tied-especially when we play Ajax
    When Mick feels like it!
    Overrated Legend
    All of the above

Blind won player of the year as a DM. We nearly kicked out of ajax for his centre back performances!

True Mitch. I put that in there to see if anyone would cop it.Honest it wasn't a brain fart..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

beakerjoe wrote: »
    We never replaced Vidic and Ferdinand.

We need someone experienced at the top level to be signed in the summer.

Bonnucci?

Not many top level CBs available in a suitable age bracket.

After that it's a punt on someone like Lindelof, Laporte or Suele at Hoffenheim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Laporte would be no punt! I'd love him at the club, but don't see that in our future....

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If we win the Europa League, answer me this....

If you take nothing into account and realise we won 2 out of the 4 competitions we were in this year, is it a successful season?

If you take everything into account and realise we won 2 out of the 4 competitins we were in this year, is it a successful season?

For me, its a yes for both questions. If we don't win the Europa then I think it's been a massive disappointment but still an improvement on last year bizarrely because of how bad it was. Jose will get another year basically because there's not any managers available to realistically take over from him but I have a lot of confidence he will make drastic changes this Summer regardless of the Europa result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man Utd 3-2 Spurs ft in u23s

Harrop hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Man Utd 3-2 Spurs ft in u23s

Harrop hattrick.

Start that lad next weekend up front!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Bonnucci?

Not many top level CBs available in a suitable age bracket.

After that it's a punt on someone like Lindelof, Laporte or Suele at Hoffenheim.

Sule's off to Bayern in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

GSPfan wrote: »

If you take nothing into account and realise we won 2 out of the 4 competitions we were in this year, is it a successful season?

If you take everything into account and realise we won 2 out of the 4 competitins we were in this year, is it a successful season?

For me, its a yes for both questions. If we don't win the Europa then I think it's been a massive disappointment but still an improvement on last year bizarrely because of how bad it was. Jose will get another year basically because there's not any managers available to realistically take over from him but I have a lot of confidence he will make drastic changes this Summer regardless of the Europa result.

It has been decent the only thing that worries me is obviously the finishing that needs to be fixed firstly if we can get a successful attack working we are into something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Start that lad next weekend up front!!

Honestly might as well. Very exciting for fans to see a young relatively unknown player break into the first team. Plus it's the last game. Could be a nice confidence boost ahead of preseason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

May have very well impressed enough to start next weekend as Mourinho was there tonight.

https://twitter.com/MENCKelly/status/864180390440914944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Antibac wrote: »
    Let's get the hashtag#bringbacklittlepea going
    He'd be up for the BalonD'or only for injuries
    Defo
    Matas always cup tied-especially when we play Ajax
    When Mick feels like it!
    Overrated Legend
    All of the above

George Hamilton's finest moment (at least I think it was him) when Man Utd played the LOI XI 'all stars' (christ, who remembers that!?): "now on the ball is Chicharito, which is Spanish for little pea...... that's pea with an A"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its a successful season because we are in a better place now than we were this time last season. And no, that has nothing to do with league position or trophies won.

Plenty of people can't see it, they just see results as if it is a game of championship manager and so think that 6th place de facto means no progress, but apart from the past 6/7 weeks this season was miles ahead of last in terms of everything that is important in developing a winning team. This bad patch shouldn't make people forget the plain fact that only for bad finishing in particular games we would have been home and hosed for top four weeks ago. The damage was done but we weren't far away, not at all.

Get the right signings in the summer and I firmly believe that we can finally push on, and the number of trophies on the table is pretty irrelevant to where I think this team is right now.

Actually, a part of me wishes there were no CL spot for the Europa winners, I would like to enjoy winning this trophy for its own merits rather than just as a path to the CL. I'll take it either way though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If we do win the EL it will no doubt be a successful season.

From a purely league PoV its been disappointing but two trophies in a new managers first year is a very good achievement.

The much vaunted Pep spent more and inherited a better squad than Jose and will finish the season with nothing and having stuttered into the top 4.

At the beginning of the season I said I would have been happy with a trophy and a comfortable top 4 finish.

Winning the EL would be more than enough to make up for not finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th as we get into the group stages of the CL.

Failure to win it will be a massive blow, mainly because we will be back playing EL football again next season which imo places us at a distinct disadvantage with relation to the league and the pressures placed on the squad.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The much vaunted Pep spent more and inherited a substantially better squad than Jose and will finish the season with nothing and having stuttered into the top 4.

Pep is getting away with murder as far as I am concerned. Give Conte that squad and they would be champions now, give Mourinho Aguero and United would be top four now.

Pep has totally wasted the talent that is in that squad, he has followed the Van Gaal plan of trying to make the players play his way instead of being a ****ing manager and finding the tactics that best suit the tools he actually has. Hopefully it ends the same way for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Its a successful season because we are in a better place now than we were this time last season. And no, that has nothing to do with league position or trophies won.

Plenty of people can't see it, they just see results as if it is a game of championship manager and so think that 6th place de facto means no progress, but apart from the past 6/7 weeks this season was miles ahead of last in terms of everything that is important in developing a winning team. This bad patch shouldn't make people forget the plain fact that only for bad finishing in particular games we would have been home and hosed for top four weeks ago. The damage was done but we weren't far away, not at all.

Get the right signings in the summer and I firmly believe that we can finally push on, and the number of trophies on the table is pretty irrelevant to where I think this team is right now.

Actually, a part of me wishes there were no CL spot for the Europa winners, I would like to enjoy winning this trophy for its own merits rather than just as a path to the CL. I'll take it either way though.

Maybe some people just have a different idea of what successful seasons means? There's obviously cause for optimism going forward, but domestically this has not been a successful season. It's been quite an embarrassing season if I'm honest. If the Europa League isn't delivered then it's a very embarrassing season and far from a success.

Taking points off our rivals is important for a winning team and we were better than that last season than this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Pep is getting away with murder as far as I am concerned. Give Conte that squad and they would be champions now, give Mourinho Aguero and United would be top four now.

Pep has totally wasted the talent that is in that squad, he has followed the Van Gaal plan of trying to make the players play his way instead of being a ****ing manager and finding the tactics that best suit the tools he actually has. Hopefully it ends the same way for him.

Was Klopp successful? Seems like a great hype man who may not ever deliver. Heralded by pool fans as the messiah.

Maybe some people just have a different idea of what successful seasons means?

Sure they do, they think that the most important thing is to get points regardless of how it happens. They would tell you that this season is no more successful than last because we didn't finish any higher in the league.

In my opinion that is short sighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

25 points off the top, hate to see what a bad season is 😔

JamboMac wrote: »
    Was Klopp successful? Seems like a great hype man who may not ever deliver. Heralded by pool fans as the messiah.

I'd say he is more successful than Pep, because he has a far less talented squad yet has achieved similar results. That just highlights how poor a job Pep has done though, give Klopp that City squad and I suspect they wouldn't be limping into fourth.

Only Conte can come away with his head held high from top 6 managers.

Rest still have questions to answer, yep including Spurs manager, Still had awful European campaign no trophies and fall when looking to strike

secman wrote: »
    25 points off the top, hate to see what a bad season is 😔

You've already seen it. Three times.

I'd say he is more successful than Pep, because he has a far less talented squad yet has achieved similar results. That just highlights how poor a job Pep has done though, give Klopp that City squad and I suspect they wouldn't be limping into fourth.

I feel he didn't sign anybody in January because he knew that would add pressure and expectations. Pep has nearly shown that he may not be as gifted as people thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The whole season is going to be defined by 1 match.

The match against Ajax will either be sheer joy and relief or misery.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The whole season is going to be defined by 1 match.

The match against Ajax will either be sheer joy and relief or misery.

Its really a much bigger game then I thought last week.

Really could set up our next couple of seasons going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

If we fail to win the Europa league then its been a massive failure. 6th place in the league is failure.
    Please stop worring about klopp and pep and look at our own manager and his failure throughout the season.
    This is Manchester United and 6th place is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sure they do, they think that the most important thing is to get points regardless of how it happens. They would tell you that this season is no more successful than last because we didn't finish any higher in the league.

In my opinion that is short sighted.

Essentially, that is the most important thing.

What's embarrassing? It's not embarrassing only teenagers get embarrassed. It's not good yep but it's not the end of the world we have a decent foundation to build on could be a lot worse.

• Advertisement

We were ****e at the start of the season too. I agree it not all about getting the points. But Mourinho has treated us to an awful lot of muck as well this season and we have been hard to watch in a lot of games.

jayo26 wrote: »
    What's embarrassing? It's not embarrassing only teenagers get embarrassed. It's not good yep but it's not the end of the world we have a decent foundation to build on could be a lot worse.

Its embarrassing such low standards we are accepting. Accepting a league cup as progress!! Bollox to that. FA cups and league cups should be add ons nothing else

Robson99 wrote: »
    Its embarrassing such low standards we are accepting. Accepting a league cup as progress!! Bollox to that. FA cups and league cups should be add ons nothing else

Which is more important league title or champions league?

Charity shield and super cup are add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Trophies are trophies, anyone who bitches should be grateful United are in positions to win them, sure their not the trophies we're used to seeing United win, it's been a rough few years for the club, signs of going in the right direction under José, chances just need finishing. Everything will click & United will be back to winning ways eventually, some people need to remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Or in United's case rebuilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus 25 points off the top can only be seen as a failure. Winning the europa can rescue the season and buy Jose some time but the excuses won't wash next season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Haha how do you mean accepting? As in not coming into a forum that no one from Manchester United will ever read and ranting about something we can't control?

Not many people here will be happy if we don't win Europa bit if we do it is two cup wins and up to the time that zlatan went out injured we were in the running for top four we had games in hand and only 5 or so points behind 3rd place.

We dominate games all season that if we had of finished better we would of won easily the season has been poor but it's not all bad and all doom and gloom.

Haha how do you mean accepting? As in not coming into a forum that no one from Manchester United will ever read and ranting about something we can't control?

Not many people here will be happy if we don't win Europa bit if we do it is two cup wins and up to the time that zlatan went out injured we were in the running for top four we had games in hand and only 5 or so points behind 3rd place.

We dominate games all season that if we had of finished better we would of won easily the season has been poor but it's not all bad and all doom and gloom.
    We had Zlatan for practically every minute of every league game up to his injury and we were still miles of Chelsea and struggling to get into the top four competing with one of the poorest Arsenal teams in years and a poor Liverpool team. We dominated Burnley and stoke and the poor teams. But done nothing against the top teams bar Chelsea at home. Again shows how our standards have dropped when we feel unlucky because we didn't beat the poor teams but ignore the puke we payed in the big games. And an open goal sitter away from being knocked ou in the E.L by a team 10th in the Spanish league.
    Butter it up whatever way ye want but Mourinho needs to hit the ground running next season or the special one will be the unemployed one by xmas

JamboMac wrote: »
    Which is more important league title or champions league?

Charity shield and super cup are add ons.

League and Champions League are the pinnacle. All else are meh in this day and age. Do you honestly think a league cup means anything to the foreign players that are used to competing in the C.L.??

We had Zlatan for practically every minute of every league game up to his injury and we were still miles of Chelsea and struggling to get into the top four competing with one of the poorest Arsenal teams in years and a poor Liverpool team. We dominated Burnley and stoke and the poor teams. But done nothing against the top teams bar Chelsea at home. Again shows how our standards have dropped when we feel unlucky because we didn't beat the poor teams but ignore the puke we payed in the big games. And an open goal sitter away from being knocked ou in the E.L by a team 10th in the Spanish league.
    Butter it up whatever way ye want but Mourinho needs to hit the ground running next season or the special one will be the unemployed one by xmas

I agree with you he does need to produce next season don't think anyone here will say he get a a free ride or anything only thing I disagree with you on is your embarrassment and talking of standards dropping it don't matter what our standards are we are just fans.

We discuss and we laugh and here and at other teams but we have no input. For all we know jose could be getting a right bollocking behind the scenes but it will stay there because he is the manager and he has to be supported 100 percent or else we turn into a club with no continuity and constantly restarting a rebuilding process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Does anyone else feel that United have really lost control and direction as a club since Alex Ferguson retired?

The strategy seems to hinge on paying insane fees for flops without really trying to develop the squad.

Even under Mourinho this season there hasn't been a massive improvement and the league form as a whole has been so poor. Apart from Marcus Rashford, it's difficult to find any positives with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Jaysus 25 points off the top can only be seen as a failure. Winning the europa can rescue the season and buy Jose some time but the excuses won't wash next season.

Let's be real here. If we are in a position where we are talking about our manager buying time after his first season, then we may as well get rid now and start again. Our scattergun approach to transfers and managers since the Fergie era has us in this position. Jumping all over a manager who is trying to tidy up a mess is utterly pointless given our last few years of failure. We either wait it out and see what he can build or we get somebody in who we can get behind to build something. There is no quick fix here, no matter who we get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They did a piece on Monday Night Football about Abramovich, Chelsea and how the rootlessness led to continued success.

If you look at Chelsea's 2012-13 season. Di Matteo had gotten the job after winning the Champions League. League and Champions League Performances were bad and he was sacked in November. Brought Benitez in, won the Europa League, finished 3rd....Sacked. Brought back Mourinho.

Abramovich has high standards. He is not a tradionalist and he's not stuck in this timewarp of "Give a manager tiime". He doesnt treat the club like a business and just say "YAAAAY, Champions League, loads of money". He sets the tone of the club. Win big or you are out. An approach adopted by the Worlds Big Clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich (With Juventus on the road back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Does anyone else feel that United have really lost control and direction as a club since Alex Ferguson retired?

The strategy seems to hinge on paying insane fees for flops without really trying to develop the squad.

Even under Mourinho this season there hasn't been a massive improvement and the league form as a whole has been so poor. Apart from Marcus Rashford, it's difficult to find any positives with United.

Yea, they're just shiote. :rolleyes:

You should look at some of Alex ferguson's first few years at united's league placements, there wasn't a whole lot to be very happy about.

Not every manager is lucky enough to have a group of world class players come up through the ranks at the same time.

If united and the fans give jose a chance he'll bring success.

There's loads of positives, we're 1 game a way from two trophies and back in the CL. That's pretty fcking positive.

It's a foundation to build upon.

If we lose, then we can all jump in the Lee with embarrassment

I agree with you he does need to produce next season don't think anyone here will say he get a a free ride or anything only thing I disagree with you on is your embarrassment and talking of standards dropping it don't matter what our standards are we are just fans.

We discuss and we laugh and here and at other teams but we have no input. For all we know jose could be getting a right bollocking behind the scenes but it will stay there because he is the manager and he has to be supported 100 percent or else we turn into a club with no continuity and constantly restarting a rebuilding process.

Look there are glimpses of us getting back to where we should be and I believe we have a lot if good players at the club. Yes we need to get a centre half and a couple of middle of the park players but Mourinho also needs to play more expassive football next season. I do feel he is hindering the likes of Mikateryan, Rashford, martial and Shaw and I think he has been looking for excuses to deflect the blame away from himself all season.
    Ive supported United since the early eighties and one of the things that gave me most enjoyment was watching the young players coming through being given the chance to express themselves from Whiteside to Rashford. I hope Mourhino doesn't destroy that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

If we are in a position where we are talking about our manager buying time after his first season, then we may as well get rid now and start again.

Here, here. I would hate it if we became a club that burned through managers faster than a match to toilet paper. If we followed that logic Fergie wouldn't have lasted past his first season. Sure it took him nearly 6 seasons to win the league!

• Advertisement

Ander Herrera has his best season ever for us.

Marcus rojo has his best season ever for us.

Valencia has his best season as a right back for us.

Bailey was a terrific signing has had a good first season.

Zlatan had a great season for us.

Rashford has had a good second season something to build on.

The thing that all them players have in common is that they are all highly professional players that bought into the managers way of thinking and they all were fully commited to the club and some are the best leaders we have on the pitch.

Anyway my point is jose has improved the players that seem to be wanting it more then most I don't think all the rest are discard players but the nucleus of the squad for the next few years will be built around them players apart from zlatan and other players like that.

Pogba has had a respectable enough season in my opinion too he is another player that looks to be fully commuted to the manager he should step it up another level next season.

Look there are glimpses of us getting back to where we should be and I believe we have a lot if good players at the club. Yes we need to get a centre half and a couple of middle of the park players but Mourinho also needs to play more expassive football next season. I do feel he is hindering the likes of Mikateryan, Rashford, martial and Shaw and I think he has been looking for excuses to deflect the blame away from himself all season.
    Ive supported United since the early eighties and one of the things that gave me most enjoyment was watching the young players coming through being given the chance to express themselves from Whiteside to Rashford. I hope Mourhino doesn't destroy that

He hasn't started off bad anyway Radford has the most minutes this season of all the teenagers in the premier league hopefully one or two more will get similar time next year.

I agree on most things you say but just not on the over reaction. A lot of positives in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Let's be real here. If we are in a position where we are talking about our manager buying time after his first season, then we may as well get rid now and start again. Our scattergun approach to transfers and managers since the Fergie era has us in this position. Jumping all over a manager who is trying to tidy up a mess is utterly pointless given our last few years of failure. We either wait it out and see what he can build or we get somebody in who we can get behind to build something. There is no quick fix here, no matter who we get in

Your dead right here, i think people were expecting jose to jump in and fix nearly 4 years of sh!te in one season which is never going to happen.
    Every other post people say about the guys we need to ship out i.e smalling, jones, rooney, and i could go on. Jose knows the problems in the squad hence why Ibra was brought in and if he wasn't in the squad forget our europa league final and champions league next season.
    Lvg got to 2014 to 2016, jose's been here for one and got us playing better football.
    I expect better things next season once all the rubbish is cleared out and we start building the squad again.
    Since fergie left this is the rebuild reign not the shambles of the last 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Winning is not automatic and needs to be a habit and part of that is winning 'smaller' trophies.

FA Cup
    Cup Winner Cup
    League Cup
    League

That was SAF as he put together his first team.

Later, 04 to 07.
    FA Cup
    Nothing
    League Cup
    League.

I would much prefer lean years where trophies are won over accepting a high league position that doesn't deliver any real prize.

Progress is also incremental. Winning a smaller triphy is progress, an indicator of potential to do more. Seeing progress and accepting it as such does not mean total satisfaction. You can be sure Jose wanted more from the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Honestly though if we win the Europa League would you swap our season for anyone other than Chelsea? I wouldn't. The problem is that its on a knifes edge from being a disappointment. One game can make it good or bad. That's mental.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement