Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

GSPfan wrote: »
    Honestly though if we win the Europa League would you swap our season for anyone other than Chelsea? I wouldn't. The problem is that its on a knifes edge from being a disappointment. One game can make it good or bad. That's mental.[/quote

Spurs maybe, been chasing the title for months, seem up for it alot of the games, their midfield played some great stuff which gets over looked this season. Problem is it's on a knife's edge for us and we shouldnt be in this situation if the board ( includes fergie at the time) hired right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So who do we think will leave this summer?

Most likely are Januzaj, Carrick, Young & Rooney.

Could also see Smalling, Blind, Darmian or De Gea (sadly) gone.

Mourinho hasn't been impressed with Shaw or Martial (and who can blame him) but I don't think they'll be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Let's be real here. If we are in a position where we are talking about our manager buying time after his first season, then we may as well get rid now and start again. Our scattergun approach to transfers and managers since the Fergie era has us in this position. Jumping all over a manager who is trying to tidy up a mess is utterly pointless given our last few years of failure. We either wait it out and see what he can build or we get somebody in who we can get behind to build something. There is no quick fix here, no matter who we get in

I hope you're right but it's hard to be positive when after 1 year performances seem to be getting worse, results are getting worse, a manager who thinks he's bigger than the club, openly criticizes the players in the media, negative approach, very few players playing to their potential, most players look devoid of any confidence.

A good test of a manager is to get them playing better than the sum of their parts and that's very much not the case currently.

Europa league final is massive, no point pretending it is not. Poor start again next season and Jose will be on thin ice.

People need to remember we're the most expensive side ever created and we're in 6th place in the English league. 6th won't cut it next year.

Would Juve, barca, real Madrid, Bayern settle for 6th?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I hope you're right but it's hard to be positive when after 1 year performances seem to be getting worse, results are getting worse, a manager who thinks he's bigger than the club, openly criticizes the players in the media, negative approach, very few players playing to their potential, most players look devoid of any confidence.

A good test of a manager is to get them playing better than the sum of their parts and that's very much not the case currently.

Europa league final is massive, no point pretending it is not. Poor start again next season and Jose will be on thin ice.

People need to remember we're the most expensive side ever created and we're in 6th place in the English league. 6th won't cut it next year.

Would Juve, barca, real Madrid, Bayern settle for 6th?

No but they also wouldn't settle for the players fannying around under the last 2 managers. The 4 players bought last Summer are the best on the team and at different points have carried them. The air of accepting mediocrity was creeping in and Jose has done his best to worm it out this season. He's let the players know that anything but the best isn't going to fly under him and some have responded better than others. Next season with a few more of his players in I'd expect it to change big time in the league especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

ShaneU wrote: »
    So who do we think will leave this summer?

Most likely are Januzaj, Carrick, Young & Rooney.

Could also see Smalling, Blind, Darmian or De Gea (sadly) gone.

Mourinho hasn't been impressed with Shaw or Martial (and who can blame him) but I don't think they'll be sold.

I hope Young stays. Works very hard for the team when he's called upon. Good to have in the squad.

You would think perhaps Smalling, Blind, Rooney, Shaw, Adnan, De Gea and possibly Jones will all leave, but I can't see him letting that many go given the injury crisis we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

According to The Mirror, pinch of salt.
    Michael Carrick could stay at Old Trafford – in a dual role with Jose Mourinho’s first-team AND Manchester United’s Under-23 side. Talks have taken place about midfielder Carrick, who is going to be out of contract at the end of the season, remaining at the club in a job that will help his transition into coaching.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-plot-new-michael-10417462

Great news if true, the Under 23's would benefit hugely from having an experienced first teamer helping them on their way.

Also according to Sport Witness via France's L'Equipe paper, United are linked with Pierre-Émerick Aubameyang, United are keen on the forward and
    have told several intermediaries. Those intermediaries have been told Aubameyang is on Manchester United’s list of forward targets ‘just behind the Frenchman Antoine Griezmann.

They also mention interest from China and PSG.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/man-united-inform-several-intermediaries-theyre-keen-aubameyang-decision-make/

This gave me a laugh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pep-guardiola-manchester-city-fired-sacked-new-manager-champions-league-struggles-a7737616.html

“In my situation at a big club: I’m sacked. I’m out. Sure. Definitely,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RockSalto wrote: »

Seen that earlier could only laugh At least jose trolls other clubs not the one he is working for.

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/864379130397286400

Manchester United ‘have told several intermediaries’ they’re keen on Aubameyang, he has decision to make.

Ahh missed you zerks:) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    According to The Mirror, pinch of salt.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-plot-new-michael-10417462

Great news if true, the Under 23's would benefit hugely from having an experienced first teamer helping them on their way.

I just wanted to say that I posted this yesterday. Hya Jayo and Astradave ;):)
    I'll post it again Thursday to get the cosmos back in line.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ahh missed you zerks:) :)

I'm going for the SSN rolling news effect.

I missed the original post in the reams of "trophies bad" guff.

The Express saying James to United could be announced Sunday after Reals last league game......pinch of salt time,they are using that radio report from Colombia as a source.

The Express saying James to United could be announced Sunday after Reals last league game......pinch of salt time,they are using that radio report from Colombia as a source.

Bet ya this will turn into another saga of when he comes back from holidays blah blah blah.

I really couldn't see us signing him unless we get champs league football i would imagine his fee won't be so crazy high that would rule out the likes of juve, Bayern and then the likes of psg and city possibly be interested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I beg you, please do not shoot the messenger - me, whatever about Guillem Balague.

https://twitter.com/guillembalague/status/864356129253359616

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RobertKK wrote: »
    I beg you, please do not shoot the messenger - me, whatever about Guillem Balague.

So anytime between next week and August.

Ugh

RobertKK wrote: »

Mars Bar wrote: »
    So anytime between next week and August.

Ugh

And so begins the James saga of will he or won't he. Buckle up folks, it's gonna be a long summer.

There's an interesting article in the MEN about the issue of United expanding OT and if they should follow Spurs model and rebuild around the existing stadium. The railway and houses on one side are causing problems and it isn't financially viable to spend so much on just 15,000 seats.
    The Glazers own all the land at the other side though and building there would have no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »

"As early as..." Gives them coverage :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I think this season Mourhinio has had to adjust his tactics to suit the players at the clubrather than fully play the way he wants.

Bailly,Pogba,Mikihitaryan & Zlatan all offer power/pace or both. Not many of the current squad can offer that.

Herrera,Rashford,Rojo,Valencia & even Fellaini have upped their game.Mata while not fast has the guile in a proper functioning side The rest seem to be ponderous in all they do.

I'm hoping this summer sorts that & we are thereabouts next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There's an interesting article in the MEN about the issue of United expanding OT and if they should follow Spurs model and rebuild around the existing stadium. The railway and houses on one side are causing problems and it isn't financially viable to spend so much on just 15,000 seats.
    The Glazers own all the land at the other side though and building there would have no issues.

I don't get the logic of these arguments. It's not financially viable to spend a few hundred million on expansion, so they'll spend three or four times as much on a new stadium that isn't needed. Spurs and Arsenal moved because they had tiny stadiums which generated very little match day revenue and couldn't be expanded. United already have the largest club stadium in the country and one of the highest match day incomes.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    "As early as..." Gives them coverage :P

One thing about Jose,there'll be no bollixing around getting players in.Pogba was a saga but it was a complicated transfer.

I don't get the logic of these arguments. It's not financially viable to spend a few hundred million on expansion, so they'll spend three or four times as much on a new stadium that isn't needed. Spurs and Arsenal moved because they had tiny stadiums which generated very little match day revenue and couldn't be expanded. United already have the largest club stadium in the country and one of the highest match day incomes.

Ferguson always had a dream of OT being the biggest stadium in England. The club own the land so that's an expensive part already taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

As people have already mentioned, if it not announced this weekend, the media will slink back into their cave and spout more bull**** about how he will eventually sign, I really wish they were held more accountable when they are wrong

• Advertisement

One thing about Jose,there'll be no bollixing around getting players in.Pogba was a saga but it was a complicated transfer.

Didn't he say recently that business will be done before preseason starts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ferguson always had a dream of OT being the biggest stadium in England. The club own the land so that's an expensive part already taken care of.

A new stadium next to Old Trafford wouldn't be Old Trafford though. And the land isn't the issue. It would still cost multiples of the cost of expansion to build a new stadium which isn't needed. United sell out every week, but would they sell out 90K every week? They season ticket waiting list in practically non existent. I think the club are at a sweet spot at around 75K. And the railway is no longer an issue. The technology is there these days to build over it without much extra cost.

However, it's a pointless argument as the word is that there is no plans for expansion any time soon.

The Trabzonspor president is saying they are in talks with Fellaini and Nacho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its a successful season because we are in a better place now than we were this time last season. And no, that has nothing to do with league position or trophies won.

Plenty of people can't see it, they just see results as if it is a game of championship manager and so think that 6th place de facto means no progress,

There it is again. Didn't even read the rest of you're post. Having a little look down at people who dare question what has happened this season.

You need to accept you are pushing your opinion on what you deem to be progress and success and you are using your own metrics, metrics only measurable to you.

We are on course to take less points this season than Moyes did in charge depending on our last few results (According to some stuff I read over the weekend) Let that sink in when you talk about this progress that you see.

The league has been dick. A disaster. Abject failure. There is no excuses that is just the reality. The league is our bread and butter.

It's unbelievable how the tone can switch here like the tide. Where is the consistency? Celebrating cup victories is the **** we would slag Liverpool for for years. Wenger gets lambasted for his perceived league failure, while winning FACups.

This isn't a pop at Jose, it's more a pop at our own fanbase. The tides of acceptance and what is the level has shifted so drastically at times this season it's difficult to actually keep track of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's not acceptance. It's the realization by most sane fans that it's the managers first year.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    The league has been dick. A disaster. Abject failure. There is no excuses that is just the reality. The league is our bread and butter.

No, there are excuses. Perfectly valid ones too...

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/864412545888681984

Sky running that we've been offered Rodriquez now.

Over on Reddit, it's been pointed out he's not at Real's training this morning, despite a must win game coming up for them. Real fans seem to reckon he's as good as gone.

Utd offered chances sign James on the Sky Sports yellow bar now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

A new stadium next to Old Trafford wouldn't be Old Trafford though. And the land isn't the issue. It would still cost multiples of the cost of expansion to build a new stadium which isn't needed. United sell out every week, but would they sell out 90K every week? They season ticket waiting list in practically non existent. I think the club are at a sweet spot at around 75K. And the railway is no longer an issue. The technology is there these days to build over it without much extra cost.

However, it's a pointless argument as the word is that there is no plans for expansion any time soon.

I would think privately there is a plan in place to redevelop the South stand, redeveloping the entire stadium to avoid the railway makes no sense.
    but as ticket income is now such a small % of the clubs income, there is probably very little appetite for doing so.
    I think to complete the three tiers and quadrants would bring the capacity to almost 95k, so like you say, they would want to have consistent demand for that extra 20k.

Jayop wrote: »
    It's not acceptance. It's the realization by most sane fans that it's the managers first year.

There it is again "sane fans". Some of you just can't seem to help yourself.

That people with a different view are somehow mental, idiots or don't grasp the concept.

It's not even a different view. Win Europa and it will be a good first season, with the massive caveat the league was a disaster and must be much better. But there is just this extreme defence.

Not sure how I feel about Rodgriguez.

Sometimes I think he is a good player, other times I don't. In a team with Mata and Mhiki, is he really needed? Club hasn't been able to integrate 10's into our team even under Ferguson. And Mourinho uses a 10 in a very different way to normal.

Bit of a whiff of Di Maria of that if I'm honest. Not sure it's a smart move.

You'd have to imagine signing James is a signal Jose wants to play 4-2-3-1. But the idea of Griezmann sitting in front of James and Pogba seems like Fifa talk :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

13 starts this year, it's great that Real Madrid are offering him up how nice of them, maybe we can offer them Rooney!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There it is again. Didn't even read the rest of you're post.

How ironic, you have zero credibility so I stopped reading yours months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Looks like it will be a 4231 so

Defence
    Hererra - Pogba
    Mkhitaryan - James - Rashford?
    Griezman?

Attacking wise that excites me apart from the lack of height but defensively that scares me

• Advertisement

You'd have to imagine signing James is a signal Jose wants to play 4-2-3-1. But the idea of Griezmann sitting in front of James and Pogba seems like Fifa talk :P

I don't get the talk of Griezemann being a striker though. I don't watch a lot of Athletico, but surely he plays in a front two. I can't see how he could be a lone striker.

I thought our linking with him signalled him as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 with a new striker.

Definitely would be mental to buy both I think, Griezemann and Rodriguez, don't see the point in that at all.

How ironic, you have zero credibility so I stopped reading yours months ago.

No worries best of luck, happy to steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/864412545888681984

Sky running that we've been offered Rodriquez now.

Over on Reddit, it's been pointed out he's not at Real's training this morning, despite a must win game coming up for them. Real fans seem to reckon he's as good as gone.

He was bought for €65 million i believe,

Reality is he has not increased in value, not a starter and not wanted by Madrid it seems, reality is his value would be €35-40 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Looks like it will be a 4231 so

Defence
    Hererra - Pogba
    Mkhitaryan - James - Rashford?
    Griezman?

Attacking wise that excites me apart from the lack of height but defensively that scares me

I'd expect a DM to be bought so Herrera may not be a regular if they did set up like that.
    Griezmann is nothing like a typical Jose front man.If he is bought them he may be a further out the field with Rash/Tony M athe CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

There it is again. Didn't even read the rest of you're post. Having a little look down at people who dare question what has happened this season.

You need to accept you are pushing your opinion on what you deem to be progress and success and you are using your own metrics, metrics only measurable to you.

We are on course to take less points this season than Moyes did in charge depending on our last few results (According to some stuff I read over the weekend) Let that sink in when you talk about this progress that you see.

It's unbelievable how the tone can switch here like the tide. Where is the consistency? Celebrating cup victories is the **** we would slag Liverpool for for years. Wenger gets lambasted for his perceived league failure, while winning FACups.

This isn't a pop at Jose, it's more a pop at our own fanbase. The tides of acceptance and what is the level has shifted so drastically at times this season it's difficult to actually keep track of.

This season we have 65 points with 2 games to go. Moyes season we had 64 points in 38 games. Moyes wasn't even in charge of full season. Moyes record was 34 games - 57 points.

Hococop wrote: »
    He was bought for €65 million i believe,

Reality is he has not increased in value, not a starter and not wanted by Madrid it seems, reality is his value would be €35-40 million?

£40m seems to be the price going round.

The world of transfer fees has, unfortunately, inflated massively in recent years since he joined them. So £40m would be about right. Roughly what Ozil and Sanchez moved for in similar circumstances, I think...

I get what you're saying there alright, but I don't think we're in that position anymore - expect to win league titles and some of the cups being an afterthought.

We need to build back up to that so while yes, the league has been disappointing this season, we've seen progress in how the team plays. Won a cup and in the Europa final. Also, we're a little bit harder to beat. I think there was more work to do with the squad than I originally anticipated after LVG, even with the new signings.

I won't be as forgiving next season though.

As a matter of interest, what does everyone think is the minimum for next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    This season we have 65 points with 2 games to go. Moyes season we had 64 points in 38 games. Moyes wasn't even in charge of full season. Moyes record was 34 games - 57 points.

Moyes also inherited a championship winning squad. Its folly to compare the situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can only think James would be signing as a replacement target for Griezman. I can see zero reason/possibility of signing both.

Not a big fan of James to be honest - he's a good player but not, imo, the world class star the media were billing him as after the world cup and prior to his Real Madrid move.

Offensively I could see him playing a role similar to what we ask of Lingard, and be a lot better at it, but I don't think his defensive work would please Mourinho.

Also, I would see him playing from the left in a freeish attacking role - and I can see that as being Rashfords best chance for nailing down a spot.

I personally think next season could be:

Striker
    Rashford
    Griezman
    Pogba--Herrera
    Def.Mid
    Left Back-Rojo-Bailly-Valencia
    De Gea

You could possibly go more attacking and have James in a supporting three off the striker with Pogba and a defensive midfielder behind that - but I just can't see it.

I would personally think the James talk is Mendes/Real using United to drum up some interest.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Sorry my correction, it was in relation to the gap to the champions
    After 36 league games, Manchester United – the pre-season second favourites – are 22 points behind leaders Chelsea, the same gap to the champions as at the end of 2013/14, when David Moyes and Ryan Giggs were the club’s two managers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement