Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah bucky you've been schooled. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah bucky you've been schooled. ;)

I've been schooled hundreds of times, that wasn't one of them.

Anybody who thinks I have a problem with Kasper Schmeichel or think he isn't a perfectly good goalkeeper just hasn't understood the point I was making. Pointing out that his dad came to United later in his career is utterly irrelevant. I could even argue that the circumstances are very different, (complete unknown as opposed to famous son being watched his entire career) but I don't need to, its irrelevant.

What do you know, Tottenham bottled it again! Glad Chelsea won though, never could bear Tottenham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone able to help me two tickets away end at spurs - I know it's a Hail Mary .... would gladly offer two tickets up next season !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Kasper Schmeichel is proven at what?

He scratched about in the lower leagues till his mid twenties, joined Championship side Leicester at 25 and while he has done a very good job for them, their remarkable title success no more makes him United standard than it does Danny Drinkwater or Wes Morgan.

Proven over the course of a career? Sure, I think his career very accurately reflects his level of ability.
    And at what age did the great Peter join the club and what had he done prior to joining us. The best keeper ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

zerks wrote: »
    I made a terrible mistake for tomorrow. I thought United were kicking off at 1pm for some reason and arranged the young ones birthday party for 3pm.
    I think I may hide upstairs and watch it as a load of hyper 5 and 6 year olds run riot.If I don't post here again then ye will know the missus has killed me.

Two schoolboy errors, the timing mix-up is understandable but why tf would you have a bunch of sugared up maurauding 6 year olds in your gaff? Go to play barn or Spraoi or Base or whatever you call it and :

- someone else gets to mop up the crumbs and sick
    - they won't be wrecking your house and your stuff. These places are totally kid proof
    - kids will have a great time
    - Best of all, there's a defined end time when everyone has to pick up their kids or have them sold off into slavery, or something. Not your problem, anyway, and they're not hanging around your gaff like a bad smell going mental while you ring their parent's mobile for the tenth time with no answer.

Worth every fecking cent. Even better if there's a friend or classmate with a birthday close enough to allow you to double up and halve the costs :D

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Two schoolboy errors, the timing mix-up is understandable but why tf would you have a bunch of sugared up maurauding 6 year olds in your gaff? Go to play barn or Spraoi or Base or whatever you call it and :

- someone else gets to mop up the crumbs and sick
    - they won't be wrecking your house and your stuff. These places are totally kid proof
    - kids will have a great time
    - Best of all, there's a defined end time when everyone has to pick up their kids or have them sold off into slavery, or something. Not your problem, anyway, and they're not hanging around your gaff like a bad smell going mental while you ring their parent's mobile for the tenth time with no answer.

Worth every fecking cent. Even better if there's a friend or classmate with a birthday close enough to allow you to double up and halve the costs :D

Usually that's the way,it's only a few kids this time.I think I'll get away with it.The missus is pretty OK when it comes to me watching united, even when planning stuff she asks when they are playing and makes allowances.I'll miss the derby though, work isn't so accommodating.

I don't get it, why won't the kids be watching the game as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Usually that's the way,it's only a few kids this time.I think I'll get away with it.The missus is pretty OK when it comes to me watching united, even when planning stuff she asks when they are playing and makes allowances.I'll miss the derby though, work isn't so accommodating.

Dont forget its a 2.15pm kick off,not 3pm,so you may get to watch the first half in peace :D

I don't get it, why won't the kids be watching the game as well?

It'll be princesses and Barbie's. I should be left in relative peace.
    Anyhow it was nice to see Ander eventually let Hazard out to play this evening.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Gonna see loads of links to Homegrown players this year especially if we move a few on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A decent player but not going to move us to the next level imo.He is young and English so no surprise with the price tag.

astradave wrote: »
    Gonna see loads of links to Homegrown players this year especially if we move a few on

What's our current homegrown players status?
    Guessing Rooney is a cert to go but thinking that be it.The likes of Young Carrick Smalling and Jones probably be kept on.Maybe lose one of Smalling/Jones if a CB is bought .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

jayo26 wrote: »
    Kasper is proven over the course if a career he has won a league title in the premiership where as Romero is coming in for cup games he has only ever played 4 seasons where he played over 35 games and the last of them were years back.

Kasper is far above the level of Romero in my opinion and is proven.

I'll take that premiership title and just say Romero has both a runners up world cup medal and copa America medal in his back pocket.

HE'S no worse than Kasper on any front. Imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll take that premiership title and just say Romero has both a runners up world cup medal and copa America medal in his back pocket.

HE'S no worse than Kasper on any front. Imo

And those Schmeicel's, tendency to go to the blue side when they're on the wane, nah, keep clear of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

scudzilla wrote: »
    And those Schmeicel's, tendency to go to the blue side when they're on the wane, nah, keep clear of him

If he had anywhere near he talent of his dad Utd would be all over him.

Utd greatest keeper and a club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

adox wrote: »
    Depressing if true.

Yeah. I really cannot see what Dier would offer us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'd have van dear sar ahead of him and if Dave stays around for another year or two at the same level him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lost Legendary status when he went and played for them, some things you just don't do, he knew the score, as did Gary Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

I know it doesn't take much money to move a market but joe Hart to Chelsea has gone to odds on from 10/1, paid gambling group on fb I'm in has a lad on it with contacts to harts agent, supposedly to replace courtois who's madrid bound, now maybe that's back to atletico if we go for oblak but I'm hoping it's to real and ddg is just upgrading his house!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What's Jose been like with regards singing keepers in the past? Obviously Curtois, but does he usually go for the superstar signing?

Honestly wouldn't shock me if we did go with someone Kasper's level and just focused on strengthening the overall defense. We're getting to the point now that our goalkeeper only needs to make 2 saves a game, and while its important to have a good one, I don't know if we need a 60m signing in nets IF DDG goes...

Speaking of keepers, it's bloody Heaton again today, isn't it? Had a worldie against us last time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What's Jose been like with regards singing keepers in the past? Obviously Curtois, but does he usually go for the superstar signing?

Honestly wouldn't shock me if we did go with someone Kasper's level and just focused on strengthening the overall defense. We're getting to the point now that our goalkeeper only needs to make 2 saves a game, and while its important to have a good one, I don't know if we need a 60m signing in nets IF DDG goes...

Speaking of keepers, it's bloody Heaton again today, isn't it? Had a worldie against us last time...

He signed Cech when he was at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »

Was curtois a jose signing? I think he was already at Chelsea from a young age but was in loan for the first few seasons.

• Advertisement

Was curtois a jose signing? I think he was already at Chelsea from a young age but was in loan for the first few seasons.

Even if Jose didn't personally sign Courtois for Chelsea, he still made the big enough decision to replace a still performing well Cech for him. In hindsight the correct decision but at the time there was plenty of debate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Rod Munch wrote: »
    He signed Cech when he was at Chelsea.

That was Ranieri. Courtois was there too. Since joining Chelsea the first time I think Mourinho has only signed two goalkeepers, both backups. Schwarzer & Begovic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3733040/Jose-Mourinho-s-transfer-spending-2004-hits-856-8m-100m-world-record-signing-Paul-Pogba.html

Lost Legendary status when he went and played for them, some things you just don't do, he knew the score, as did Gary Neville

Meh that's petty the extreme. City were a nothing club at the time.

It takes a special effort of bitterness to no consider him a club legend.

I'd have van dear sar ahead of him and if Dave stays around for another year or two at the same level him too.

It's all about opinions. For me Schmeichel was amongst the best keepers I have ever seen play the game and quite possssibly the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The amount of goalkeepers SAF went through in finding a replacement for Schmeichel showed how great of a goalkeeper the big Dane was imo.

• Advertisement

Even if Jose didn't personally sign Courtois for Chelsea, he still made the big enough decision to replace a still performing well Cech for him. In hindsight the correct decision but at the time there was plenty of debate about it.

Sorry conversation wasn't about the decision I think tsc was pondering if jose would go sign a big name keeper :):):)

But I do agree it was a massive decision by jose and one that proved to be a great choice.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057732645/1/#post103302870

Match thread

Edit: Ahh here zerks just zerked the match thread ha sorry can mine be deleted?

Lol,I stuck up one at exactly the same time........spooky:p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057732646

Lol,I stuck up one at exactly the same time........spooky:p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057732646

No mine was 30 seconds sooner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM_7 wrote: »
    Over 3 seasons/years though?

Right now its not an outrageous suggestion.

Some changes have to happen (replace Carrick, Zlatan and over that period Valencia), probably need a new CB, GK if Ge Gea leaves. That is 5 alone.

Based on quality there's no need for a new CB in the first XI, Bailly and Rojo have proven more than good enough. So, if DDG is sold then that would add up to four new starters needed over three seasons because of losing players to age or sale - GK, DM, RB and CF. But then on top of that we're supposed to need another three to four players because of a lack of quality in the team? That's what I don't agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think Romero would be a perfect first choice keeper, he's looked dead solid whenever called upon this season and has been a consummate professional at the club even in his role as second fiddle.

People only talk of potentially signing kasper due to who his father is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Are you serious??!! Maybe you are not and hopefully so.

How can a goalkeeper that achieved so much at your club lose such a status.

And that Gary Neville thing, clearly a joke. He did the same with his own brother when they came head to head when Phil moved to Everton. Both captains and everything, so they had to do the coin toss together and still, wouldn't even acknowledge him.
    As a United fan, this is one of the MAIN reasons we love Gary so much. It's like that old saying along the lines of, "he's an a$$hole but he's our a$$hole.

I am sure they chatted after the game, they would be very close.

He joined an average non competing City at the end of his career who actually done well that season. , his family were based in the City and it was a handy few quid.

Peter Schmeichel was a journeyman professional at that stage, he wanted to keep playing and City gave him a contract. He wouldn't have joined any team who were serious rivals to Utd at that point.
    (Most) pros and ex-pros think about this at a whole different level to the fans and don't give a **** about this kind of thing. If you seriously have a grudge against one of our greatest achieving players because he played for City for a bit after he retired from us, and that gets in the way of you appreciating all that he did for Utd, then I think that's pretty pathetic.

And as I said, reading into the video is nonsense. He was asking Neville to move to the other side, they probably even swapped pleasantries elsewhere and weren't in the habit of posing for the camera with another hug and handshake.

Manchester United are closing in on Torino striker Andrea Belotti.

But they will have to meet the £84million release clause inserted in the 23-year-old’s contract last December.

Muscular frontman Belotti is rated one of Europe’s top hitmen after smashing records galore in Serie A.

The Italian has been on Old Trafford boss Jose Mourinho’s wish-list all season.

And with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s short career at United in ruins after a suspected cruciate ligament injury, Mourinho’s quest for Belotti has gone up a notch.

Mourinho was spotted with super-agent Jorge Mendes after the Europa League win over Anderlecht on Thursday. Although Belotti is not one of Mendes’ clients, it is believed the pair were discussing summer business.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-closing-torino-striker-10276934

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mourinho was spotted with super-agent Jorge Mendes after the Europa League win over Anderlecht on Thursday. Although Belotti is not one of Mendes’ clients, it is believed the pair were discussing summer business.

The mirror really are idiots

what we see: Jose talks to his own agent and one of his good friends.

What they see: Jose talks to super agent, oh they must have been talking about summer transfers. This will generate loads of clicks!

• Advertisement

Neville and Schmeichel were never close but I think too much was made out of that incident.
    Ny most accounts I have read no one seemed to like Schmeichel but he was an amazing keeper .
    A club legend no matter who he went on and played for or how much of a prick he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Meh that's petty the extreme. City were a nothing club at the time.

It takes a special effort of bitterness to no consider him a club legend.

I'm not usually a grammar nazi and I'm not trying to be one now but that last sentence I see you wrote no instead of not, I now can only hear it in a Scottish accent in my head and will always consider you to be Scottish.

Glazers Out!

I was only reading a fourfourtwo article about Belotti last week and he seems like the ideal type of striker for Jose.Strong ,powerful runner that is willing to work hard in attack and defence.
    I have only seen him play a handful of times,anyone have much knowledge of him?

Its a discussion thats been had on here before and I will never understand the mentality.

You simply cannot overstate the importance of Peter Schmeichel and the role he played in United moving from perennial underachievers to being the dominant force in english football. He was immense for the club both in terms of performance and also in character, he was the best in the world in such a forceful way that opposing players were cowed before they even walked onto the field. In terms of that team in the 90's Schmeichel's legacy is up there with Cantona's, no doubt about it.

And 20 years later somebody wants to claim he isn't a legend because he played a few games for City when he was effectively retired? Yeah, good one. If Schmeichel isn't a United legend then the word has no meaning.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was only reading a fourfourtwo article about Belotti last week and he seems like the ideal type of striker for Jose.Strong ,powerful runner that is willing to work hard in attack and defence.
    I have only seen him play a handful of times,anyone have much knowledge of him?

Prob not much more then you He is a string2 header of the ball and is only 22 as you say likes to run all game.

I wouldn't have a problem with the quality if him but that money mentioned is crazy amount for a serial a forward. Your talking griezman level release clause there.

POgba 9/2 anytime or 30/1 2 or more with Paddy power should be on penos and free kicks and **** he has to score sometime should play 90 mins too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really hope Jose gives an opportunity to some youth players today. Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe or some other youngsters. Don't think he'll get an opportunity again this season unless top 4 is mathematically unattainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

astradave wrote: »
    The mirror really are idiots

what we see: Jose talks to his own agent and one of his good friends.

What they see: Jose talks to super agent, oh they must have been talking about summer transfers. This will generate loads of clicks!

Does a super agent wear a cape? :D

SA on it

Prob not much more then you He is a string2 header of the ball and is only 22 as you say likes to run all game.

I wouldn't have a problem with the quality if him but that money mentioned is crazy amount for a serial a forward. Your talking griezman level release clause there.

Outrageous fee quoted for him ,no matter how good he is 2 good seasons in Serie A isn't enough to warrant that price.

I'm guessing there is doubt in it now that United buy a CF this summer ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Keenan apparently saying Lukaku to United would be a step sideways and he should stay with Everton. Seems to be he closest we get to confirmation of interest in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement