Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

That one has actually been a real problem, in that the new manager couldn't have known he would be so ineffectual and it must gave affected his planning.

We have suffered through not having any replacement for Zlatan and his goals, but I imagine at the start of the season Jose believed that Rooney would fulfil that role, that Rooney would be a perfectly good option up front. And that was understandable, this is our record scorer we are talking about.

But Rooney hasn't been up to pace all season and we have really suffered in the goalscoring dept. You have to wonder if Rooney hadn't still been at the club would Jose have bought another striker last summer?

As I posted last night, Rooney has been as effective, if not more so than both Mata and Mkhitaryan this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Exactly. One huge factor that would've benefited him still being at United is training/playing with/against better players every day.

I think Fergie understood this about some of the fringe players so when called upon they often fulfilled their role quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro. F wrote: »
    Maybe I should bring him back into the rotation of player debates in here.

Moyes was the reason we struggled in 13/14, not Cleverley. He'd be good enough as a squad player if he was still at the club now, much though the belly-aching of the fans who don't like him might try to paint it otherwise. A good mid-table CM is all he ever amounted to, which is a disappointment, but that is what he is, rather than the abboration on the sport some fans paint him as.

Easy blame Moyes when he amounted to same at Everton.

No belly aching, more a case of good riddance.

And you said it all with your last bit, except its more expected then disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Easy blame Moyes when he amounted to same at Everton.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
    And you said it all with your last bit, except its more expected then disappointment.
    Well at least we agree on his current quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

RobertKK wrote: »
    Graham Hunter says Bale to United is a real possibility,.
    Other media is Spain says Bale would prefer a move to United over Spurs or Chelsea.

So Bale is getting a new contract at Real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

19 below par (for the most part) appearances this season with lots of time out injured, I doubt it.

Talk of the price being 80m. I think his stock may have (should have) gone slightly down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As I posted last night, Rooney has been as effective, if not more so than both Mata and Mkhitaryan this season.

How does that address the point I made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mail's United XI if we sign the rumoured targets.

406EC7D600000578-4514268-image-a-61_1495020158680.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Concern for me with Bale is its a back injury that seems to keep causing muscle injuries in his legs. Back injuries are pretty much there indefinitely and there is always the risk of it causing problems throughout.

I'd welcome him with open arms mind you, on form, one of the best in the world and the sort of talent we have been sorely missing in our team in the attacking third.

• At least we dont talk about TC23 anymore.

Small steps..

ab591c1835c63495ea6bb27f614c622a_there-are-tons-of-architecture-job-openings-these-days-why-arent-sigh-not-again-meme_476-360.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »

I'd be freaked if that was our team going into the season :pac:

Speaking of former players,Rio retired a couple of years and still in better shape than some who are still playing.

4020D4D800000578-0-image-m-16_1494333239333.jpg

• ^^Beast Mode
    He looks like a UFC fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Imagine what it's going to be like in another month or so then the season hasn't even ended yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Rojo left back... eh, no thanks!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Imagine what it's going to be like in another month or so then the season hasn't even ended yet.

A couple on here would have Rooney in that team.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bar Rojo at LB and they thinking DDG is leaving I'd be happy with those signings .Still can't see Griezmann as a Jose CF I'd expect if he was signed it would be to play deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Reputable and Columbia just does not work in same sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where are you putting Rodriguez, Bale and Mbappe?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I know its flogging a dead horse, but I look at that line up and laugh that two players from our youth system could end up costing us €120-130 million
    It would be more cost effective to shut it down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On the bench with Ronaldo and Gaitan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    On the bench with Ronaldo and Gaitan :pac:

with physio/assistant manager Walter Samuel

Cup tied along with Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sneijder anyone?

* runs and expects life ban

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pretty much every reporter on the Manchester beat has said in the last 24 hours that we have no interest in him. The club definitely briefed them on that.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That really bugged the ****e out of me at the time, was a total copout, and just felt like the first step towards setting up his narrative of league position. "well, we stopped trying, the league stopped mattering in the end".

It wasn't great hearing him say that Top 4 is gone, but for me that's because it was an admission of a reality. Not because I thought it was any form of deflection tactics on Jose's part. I'm not saying that he's never been guilty of that, just that in the aftermath of the Swansea draw our realistic Top 4 hopes were gone and I thought the manager was just calling a spade a spade.
    If he set out to win those last two games that he effectively threw away, top four would be 100% in his hands. Would be 2 points behind pool with a game at hand.
    If he set out to win those games, we still could have lost and still be sitting in 6th.

Jose could have fielded our strongest team available against Arsenal and Spurs. Jose could have sent the team out with instructions of all-out attack. That still doesn't mean that we would have definitely taken 3 points from either of those games, let alone both to end up 2 points behind Pool with a game in hand.

We needed a win against City or Swansea to keep it going realistically. That didn't happen, and to then go hell for leather in the league from that point on, at the expense of a more favourable route through the then 3 remaining Europa games, would have been an even more questionable decision IMO.

The damage was done in the league long before the Arsenal and Spurs games. If I'm going to lament anything, it's all those draws where the team failed to rise to the occasion and/or put away good chances. It's decisions before that which the manager took where he could have used the squad a bit more when he had it at his disposal. I don't lament the decision to now prioritise the Europa over the final 4 league games where to be successful we would have required a serious change in fortune for the team, and some bad results for rivals, to have a chance at getting Top 4.

In any other season I'd say that we should be capable of challenging on all fronts and have the squad to do it. Only problem now is that through injury, suspension, players moving on from the club during the season, family bereavement - Jose hasn't exactly had the full might of that half a billion pound squad to chose from to try to keep both the League and the Europa going at full strength in these closing stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

adox wrote: »
    That certainly hasnt been the norm this season. You are making that up.

Liverpool x 2. Chelsea away. City away. A lot of the European games. People who dont see how negative Murhino has set us up in a lot of games this season have selective viewing. Murhino has been negative in all big games since his first stint with Chelsea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Robson99 wrote: »
    Liverpool x 2. Chelsea away. City away. A lot of the European games. People who dont see how negative Murhino has set us up in a lot of games this season have selective viewing. Murhino has been negative in all big games since his first stint with Chelsea IMO.

If you are gonna talk about Mourinho at least spell his name correctly. Once is a typo, twice in one post means you are doing it on purpose.

Personally I find it hard to believe that some cannot see the progress the team has made this season under Jose. The league has been extremely frustrating but in his first season its been acceptable due to the clear signs of progress we have made.

As for those who think he needs to be sacked if we dont win the UEL, who replaces him? Do we start from scratch and implement another new system? And seeing as those who seem to have the biggest problem with Jose are also generally those that bring up the money spent on players, should we sack Jose and pay off his contract and then sack all his backroom staff and pay them off how much do you think that would cost? I would think it wouldnt be far off the price we will end up paying for a new DM. So which is money better spent at this juncture in time?

A lot of the more reliables are reporting Keane will be our first signing this summer, for £25m. Simon Stone chief among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

A lot will piss and moan about re-signing another academy graduate but if the Keane rumours are true I'll be delighted. He has proven himself to be a quality PL level CB already. And he is already familiar with the club so there wont be any settling in period. A really good signing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No De Gea.

I think we are being told about the future of De Gea at United, there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

A lot of the more reliables are reporting Keane will be our first signing this summer, for £25m. Simon Stone chief among them.

Utd starting to look fond of overpaying for former players!.....from what I have seen of Keane this year he would not be much of an upgrade at all on Tweedledum and Tweedledee (Smalling and Jones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Prunier would be an upgrade on Smalling in fairness

• Advertisement

LeeJM wrote: »
    He has proven himself to be a quality PL level CB already.

Proven? One year in the PL is proven quality now?

I worry that's the end of DDG then :( wonder if he's played his last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I worry that's the end of DDG then :( wonder if he's played his last game.

Bollockache (not a typo) was tweeting earlier that the Real squad are convinced he's going to them and he's taking a paycut, so he's probably off to Barcelona! The rumours are never going to go away and I reckon he will end up in Madrid at some point so if he goes, good luck to him and I hope United recruit sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hon romero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Surely that isn't the end of De Gea lads he must be injured. There's no way Jose would let him leave so easily, he kicked up a fuss over Cech and he wasn't even first choice at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Looked outside the box

Great save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Romero again.

Telling ya, we're in safe hands if De Gea leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

will United consolidate 6th place if they win tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

will United consolidate 6th place if they win tonight?

Already have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Personally I find it hard to believe that some cannot see the progress the team has made this season under Jose. The league has been extremely frustrating but in his first season its been acceptable due to the clear signs of progress we have made.

Well, its because that progress is difficult to perceive. With 36 games played, Mourinho has secured 2 additional points, 6 additional goals for, 5 less goals against over LVG's United in 2016. LVG didn't have Zlatan, Pogba, Baily or Mkhitaryan. Over 36 games, that is an improvement of 0.05 points per game, 0.15 goals per game. From a base which was considered utterly unacceptable that's a pretty underwhelming return. In terms of brass tacks LVG delivered an FA cup, and missed the CL by goal difference, finishing 5th. Mourinho has the League Cup, will finish 6th but should hopefully deliver the CL via a EL win.

I think its silly to suggest Mourinho's position is in trouble, but its clear that this season has been poor versus the hopes at the start of the season where people expected a title challenge. Mourinho himself mocked other managers in August for being coy about being title contenders. That was his expectation, its not worked out that way.

I hope Mourinho succeeds, because that means United succeeds, but people who are concerned aren't blind to developments on the pitch. The thing that concerns me the most is the negativity Mourinho seems to exude. A hugely talented squad at Chelsea were in a nosedive last season under Mourinho. This season, they are worthy champions. The thing that gives me hope is that in his first season back at Chelsea, Mourinho was missing goals. He added goals in the next season and won the title. Here is hoping it works out the same for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd love an out and out right-footed right winger. Someone who sees the space in front of them and burns every one for speed. Mata got the ball there and turned back on to his left and slowed the whole thing down. I love Mata but I also love fast paced football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

A lot will piss and moan about re-signing another academy graduate but if the Keane rumours are true I'll be delighted. He has proven himself to be a quality PL level CB already. And he is already familiar with the club so there wont be any settling in period. A really good signing IMO

Genuine question, does it not seem odd that Mourhino seems to have a track record of re-signing players at an exorbitant cost to what they were sold for? He did it at Chelsea with Matic, at United with Pogba, (whose transfer is now being investigated) he did something a bit unusual with a player at Madrid, (another Mendes player) he seems to be linked to Mendes a lot and now he might be spending 25m for a player united sold for 2m.
    He does not seem to have any Gra for the money he spends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Glad this season is coming to an end as I can't take much more of this.

Not sure how much is down to the system, the tactics, the managers attempts to motivate, the players willingness to put the effort in or just their ability to execute at the right time.

Genuine question, does it not seem odd that Mourhino seems to have a track record of re-signing players at an exorbitant cost to what they were sold for? He did it at Chelsea with Matic, at United with Pogba, (whose transfer is now being investigated) he did something a bit unusual with a player at Madrid, (another Mendes player) he seems to be linked to Mendes a lot and now he might be spending 25m for a player united sold for 2m.
    He does not seem to have any Gra for the money he spends

So, you have one example of Jose resigning a player he let go. Some track record that...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement