Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Do they?

I personally would be happier if Twitter links were banned from these threads, such utterly meaningless ****e the lot of it.

Unless you are a spokesperson for the thread in it's entirety then why moan about it
    Alot of us including myself like to see the news and share it with others.
    Skip past it if you don't like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sky saying Manchester United are interested in signing nainagolin. Another one to the summer list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Unless you are a spokesperson for the thread in it's entirety then why moan about it
    Alot of us including myself like to see the news and share it with others.
    Skip past it if you don't like it!

He made a statement, I responded to it with what was clearly nothing more than my opinion. Don't worry, nobody is taking your precious twitter away from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GSPfan wrote: »
    To be honest we all engage in utter meaningless sh?te talking all the time in here so we can't really give out about twitter links. Twitter is great if you take none of it seriously. And it provides some brilliant breaking news stories before anywhere else.

Id choose twitter over any other form of social media.

Breaking news fine, no problem with that at all.

The problem is that 90% of the links posted aren't breaking news, they are just the social media equivalent of some guy in the pub making up **** and pretending to be in the know. And then they get posted as if they have any credibility deserving of a response.

If you started a post by saying, "My uncle thinks that Sanchez is going to sign a contract with us next week" people would just say who gives a ****, but put it on twitter and its a different thing apparently.

But hey, have at it. I only responded because Zerks said that people like to see what is out there and I questioned that. Some only want to see what is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Ffs your acting like Liverpool fans.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sky saying Manchester United are interested in signing nainagolin. Another one to the summer list.

He would be a class addition.Excellent midfielder.

Reading the rumours that United linked to those 3 Spurs players can't be **** all to it.3 decent players but are they really the big step up that's needed? I don't see it happening plenty of better options out there imo

JamboMac wrote: »
    Ffs your acting like Liverpool fans.:)

p_Wlihm_G.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Breaking news fine, no problem with that at all.

The problem is that 90% of the links posted aren't breaking news, they are just the social media equivalent of some guy in the pub making up **** and pretending to be in the know. And then they get posted as if they have any credibility deserving of a response.

If you started a post by saying, "My uncle thinks that Sanchez is going to sign a contract with us next week" people would just say who gives a ****, but put it on twitter and its a different thing apparently.

But hey, have at it. I only responded because Zerks said that people like to see what is out there and I questioned that. Some only want to see what is real.

I wasn't having a go at you, I was just saying I like twitter because I understand that its mostly utter nonsense and I'm ok with it. I find the fun in it. Just like this place. This forum is like a more concentrated version of twitter. Opinions mixed with rumours, facts, mistruths, and lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We should get the mods to change the thread titles to Manchester United talk/concrete facts.

The gossip in the media promotes discussion. In the years before twitter etc we had to read the back pages,now it's instant news. We all know 99% of it is guesswork but hey it's something to talk about.
    If people don't want to then they can skip the posts and take part in the endless bickering about Jose/Rooney/Pogba/Nani.It's a bit of distraction and we do need a bit now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

zerks wrote: »
    We should get the mods to change the thread titles to Manchester United talk/concrete facts.

It's a balancing act.. The one that always got me was "I heard from a reliable source" one, but I've built and crossed that bridge.
    p_Wlihm_G.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thought this was an interesting article on the James rumours and the role of Sky, particularly conflicts of interest in respect of Sky Bet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-rodriguez-real-madrid-to-manchester-united-transfer-sky-news-bets-gambling-a7741021.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You should start our list for this summer and keep pasting the player and source as they appear... be funny to read in sept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The gossip in the media promotes discussion. In the years before twitter etc we had to read the back pages,now it's instant news. We all know 99% of it is guesswork but hey it's something to talk about.
    If people don't want to then they can skip the posts and take part in the endless bickering about Jose/Rooney/Pogba/Nani.It's a bit of distraction and we do need a bit now and again.

We heard you the first time :D ...zerks doing a zerks on himself ;)

We heard you the first time :D ...zerks doing a zerks on himself ;)

Triplets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

So if James isn't announced this weekend, does that mean it's dead?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    You should start our list for this summer and keep pasting the player and source as they appear... be funny to read in sept!

Not a hope of me doing it i would lose interest and probably spell the names all wrong.

No it just means he has to go to the supermarket first and then if its not anounced he has to go on holidays and then we may wait for him to get back to Europe and then he has to find a house first and if he then don't sign we didn't want him anyway.

The best thing about twitter at the moment is Trump. My god he's an idiot.

Some of the more interesting sagas that played out over twitter were Eden Hazards transfer to us, Herrera's failed transfer to us, Lucas Moura's transfer to us, and the Thiago Alcantara transfer to us. Funnily enough they all failed to come to us at the time.

Ok best news ive read in ages. Fa to punish simulation with restrispective action receive a 2 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have always found it an odd argument (and now apparently ruling) that a yellow card offence becomes a 2 match ban if the ref doesn't spot it.

• Advertisement

if it isn't announced by May29th I reckon we should move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nalz wrote: »
    It's a balancing act.. The one that always got me was "I heard from a reliable source" one, but I've built and crossed that bridge.

This aleays reminds me of that Quicksilver scene.

have always found it an odd argument (and now apparently ruling) that a yellow card offence becomes a 2 match ban if the ref doesn't spot it.

Good point to but if it gets rid of it from the game in happy with that.

Anybody have problems with the soccer forum in the last hour? The rest was grand but here pages didn't load and one post I made appeared 3 times after a Bad Gateway notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Well it's fair to say that a lot of journalists know more that most uncles :)

A lot of what's posted by journos on twitter has some truth to it and is real at the time, just because a transfer doesn?t end up happening doesn?t mean it wasn't considered at some point. Lots of things that can stop these things from happening. If people want to read it then they can, if they don't then skip to the next post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho won the league two seasons ago with draws against City x2, Arsenal, United, Liverpool.

The days of the 'we are United' stuff are well gone, you fill your boots against the smaller teams in the league.

Mourinho won the league two seasons ago with draws against City x2, Arsenal, United, Liverpool.

The days of the 'we are United' stuff are well gone, you fill your boots against the smaller teams in the league.

That's why Liverpool did so well against the others in the top 6,they were too arrogant to change their style against Liverpool just like the 'smaller clubs' did,played open and were punished.Jose adapted his game and was criticised for not playing fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

pjohnson wrote: »
    This aleays reminds me of that Quicksilver scene.

me too. Epic scene! Just like the celebrations vs Ajax will be.

POSITIVITY!!!

Would still rather sin bins during the game for diving, time wasting, shirt pulling, swearing at the refs, blatant dissent, and professional fouls. If you knew you were going off the pitch for ten minutes if you do any of the above then it would stop it very sharply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anybody have problems with the soccer forum in the last hour? The rest was grand but here pages didn't load and one post I made appeared 3 times after a Bad Gateway notice.

Happens frequently enough to notice.

Assumed it was an issue with my work network, since thats really only when I'm on boards, but then realised their infrastructure just struggles over lunch periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Retrospective bans for diving is risky. While it's an obvious thing to support, when you then dive into the potential for players missing two matches for an incorrect interpretation of a dive, then you have problems.

Who are going to provide this judgement? Some PL panel? I'd want to ensure that it has football people on it. It's shocking the difference in how people who have played football against those that have not, when it comes to intepretting decisions. To spot an intentional bad tackle and the likes.

There is a just situation that is instinctive where a player goes to ride a tackle, the defender pulls out last second, and it looks like a horrendous dive, but the attacker is expecting to get clattered. That situation, which happens fairly frequently, is one I expect to have murder over.

But then you have the obvious diving scenarios. So I'm not totally against it. But it then turns into, well what "dives" warrant this? Damien Duff was a notorious diver. He would go down under any contact, but it would be out wide on the sidelines getting free kicks. Hazard is a player that goes down notoriously easy. Hererra for us does it loads. I class this is diving.

Those situations where a defender gets infront of an attacker, and with minimal contact, takes a tumble. That is a dive, as the contact or force is in no way enough to cause the player to fall.

So where do we draw the line? Penatly decisions or freekicks that result in goals? Are we two match banning a defender who takes a tumble blocking a ball out for a goal kick and takes a fall under minimal contact?

While I'd love for it to get out of the game, this idea sounds like its going to cherry pick the problem. While the diving that results in penalties and freekick goals is the most emotionally impactful, it's I'd argue the tiny if not minor fraction and the edge case. Diving is rampant all over the pitch, with players going down under minimal contact. That is the diving that needs addressing as the game is season by season turning into a horrendously stop start broken up spectacle. Thats why I laugh at those who argue against video technology about breaking up the pace of the game. It's already in tatters by soft decisions from referees who have some mandate from somewhere, to ensure freekicks are giving for everything.

Diving could likely get sorted pretty quickly, if referees rolled back a bit on the soft decisions and then allowed them to play on. It's a terribly inconsistent thing from referees that is infuriating.

Don't know if anyone else has spotted it, but Martial and Lingaard are going through what MEmphis did at large parts last season. Not receiving free kicks you see in other games 9 times out of ten. Soft free kicks, but free kicks regardless. Yet its like there is a perception by refs that Lingaard and Martial go down easy, and they are frequently ignored.

Yet you look at a Chelsea match and Hazard gets them ALL THE TIME. Look at Liverpool and Coutinho gets them ALL THE TIME. And just about any match. For some reason though, Martial and Lingaard don't.

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory stuff at all about refs or agendas, but the referee standard has been atrocious this season, and this is something I notice in lots of our games that is infuriating. Either give those soft free kicks across the board, or don't.

Personally for me, I'd like to see them gone, and a return to actually promoting players being strong in shoulder to shoulder tackles and the likes. Pretty sure Shoulder to shoulder clashes have been being regulated out of the game now. Again just personal preference, but I really detest the change in the game to "shadowing" and basically no one tackling anymore. Players get within a few yards and just jockey, instead or getting close ASAP and then putting in a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh please let the rumours about Nainggolan be true

astradave wrote: »
    Oh please let the rumours about Nainggolan be true

He some man for the cigarettes that wouldn't go down well.

p_Wlihm_G.gif

Could be us next Wednesday evening!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He some man for the cigarettes that wouldn't go down well.

Couldn't care less if he plays the same way :D sure Zidane smoked like a trooper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nainggolan is 29. We really shouldn't be buying players that old.

Couldn't care less if he plays the same way :D sure Zidane smoked like a trooper :D

So does Rooney and its not done him any harm!:eek::pac:

Berba was a cigar man wasnt he?

Pro. F wrote: »

Have you seen his fitness? He has unreal stamina if he was bought for decent price he could easily play for at least 4 year.

Di Marzio saying he doesn't want to leave Rome.

Does anybody here think Jose and Woody will surprise us all with a signing from left field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Have you seen his fitness? He has unreal stamina if he was bought for decent price he could easily play for at least 4 year.

I've seen him plenty. I've never seen any correlation between stamina on the pitch and long careers. If anything it might go the other way, in that the players who work harder burn out sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

29 is still good age to buy players.

Not everything goes backwards at 30.

I've seen him plenty. I've never seen any correlation between stamina on the pitch and long careers. If anything it might go the other way, in that the players who work harder burn out sooner.

Maybe not but he seems to have a decent engine and has a good physique. There is never any ideas of who is going to have a long career but he don't seem to be injury prone neither.

As I say at the right moneyy I can't see why age would be a problem.

IMO it depends on the position and the younger players we have around them.

I would be very happy with a 29 year old CB for example.

An experienced midfielder if the other guys are younger is a good thing too imo.

I do think United lack leadership, and that generally comes with age.

I don't think Naingolan is the right player though - from what I know of him. I think we need a properly defensive midfielder to play behind Herrera and Pogba, or to be the defensive player in a midfield two. I think Naingolan is closer to what we want from Pogba and Herrera rather than a compliment to them.

Not sure who we could be looking at for such a role though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Really happy about the Naingollan link (assuming it is true). I mentioned him a couple of days ago, I think he's ideal for the Premier League and an excellent player all round. He would give a really good balance to the team.

Rumored fee is around £34m which seems ok given the bat-sh!t crazy transfer market. If we can get 4 or 5 seasons out of him, that would be good business. The only negative is that he is 29, but then again, so was RVP. He's quite similar to Vidal in many ways - all action and constantly all over the pitch.

I'm a bit of a closet Roma fan (as a second team) so watch them a reasonable bit. He's always stood out as a player I'd love to see at United.

I don't think Naingolan is the right player though - from what I know of him. I think we need a properly defensive midfielder to play behind Herrera and Pogba, or to be the defensive player in a midfield two. I think Naingolan is closer to what we want from Pogba and Herrera rather than a compliment to them.

Totally agree with you here he is not a proper defensive midfielder he will be more attacking then we need.

Another low risk signing would be krychowiak with psg he hasn't been a regular with them and shouldn't cost massive money and if we could get him back playing like he was last year he would be ideal.

that role has been phased out really. Most "holding" midfielders are more dynamic than the Makelele-type who used to fill the role. Its the likes of Kante who "hold" midfields now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hess a smoker, so his stamina may be great now but it will only get worse as time goes by. At 29, the more hes smokes, the quicker his stamina will go. Not a good investment

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Could be us next Wednesday evening!:(

Good chance it will be us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Smoking would be a concern alright. Age is perfect, but ya might not be good investment if he likes few more then occasional puffs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement