Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can't see why any English player would want to leave spurs. They have everything to offer at moment apart from the mega wages.

Winning trophies is a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Winning trophies is a problem

The that could be bit they are heading in the right direction. If they recruit well this summer they will have a team that's blending together with additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The that could be bit they are heading in the right direction. If they recruit well this summer they will have a team that's blending together with additions.

They are very close to the real deal, but they still have a stigma over them when it

1. Comes to beating big teams
    2. Winning crucial games
    3 winning silverware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Levy holds all the right cards here. Think he will stay actually.

Best English striker since Shearer.

Can't see why any English player would want to leave spurs. They have everything to offer at moment apart from the mega wages.

Very good team at the moment (without actually winning anything) but I think the wages will catch them out eventually. The vast majority of players will not stay at a club when they could get paid significantly more elsewhere.

domrush wrote: »
    I don't see whats outrageous about half of those games, just most recently Utd were lucky to get anything at all against Swansea. Unless you're saying that most of those are games a top team should be winning at a canter?

I have to agree, some of those games we were lucky to get away with a point. It's certainly not a case of every draw (home or away) we had this season equals a game we rightfully should have won but for a rake of missed chances.

There's a marked difference between some of those games where we hit everything but the back of the net (like Stoke at home, Burnley at home, West Ham at home) and then those games where we were putrid and/or created fúck-all chances never mind great chances (West Brom at home, Swansea at home)

Some of those home draws were nearly lost in the end - Markovic hit the post in the dying minutes from point blank range (United 0 Hull 0) while Darren Fletcher nearly got a winner when DDG spilled his shot onto the crossbar (United 0 WBA 0)

Yes, failure to finish good chances can account for points lost in some of those draws at home, but not all of them and not 15 points worth IMO.

Up until the city game this year there was only a handful of game where we were actually really bad we were on top most games. People have different opinions bit we were a far better looking team up to that point we just didn't have the run of luck or quality of finishing.

Edit. Maybe on top is an overstatement but we did a lot to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Valencia wins players player of the year.

Amazing after all this time he still can't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jharr100 wrote: »
    Amazing after all this time he still can't speak English.

Seriously, he didn't have a clue what Mark Chapman was saying until it was translated. He's been living in England for 11 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Yes Ander wins the fans player of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Fair play Antonio Valencia. Well deserved after a top class season. One of the best full backs there is and only wish he was 5 years younger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shocked it wasn't Ibra but delighted for Ander.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I love Valencia but it is embarrassing he hasn't learnt English after 11 years. 11 years? He is either extremely lazy or extremely stupid!!

And, yes, I do love him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there any player they have that will be happy to stay on lower wages than numerous teams can offer them ?
    Kane may be the exception but several players could make moves especially if Poch leaves/they fail to win anything next season.
    Walker,Rose and Dier all linked with moves,they may not be the leading lights but losing first team regulars will have an affect on the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is there any player they have that will be happy to stay on lower wages than numerous teams can offer them ?
    Kane may be the exception but several players could make moves especially if Poch leaves/they fail to win anything next season.
    Walker,Rose and Dier all linked with moves,they may not be the leading lights but losing first team regulars will have an affect on the squad.

I think I all depends on poch, he goes a few will go, he stays no one is going imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

yabadabado wrote: »

Mark my words there'll be a huge storm brewing at Spurs this Summer regarding wages. Chelsea need additions for next year, City and United need surgery on their teams, so there'll be money thrown at half a dozen of the Spurs first team to tempt them. Spurs will have to resist any moves and hold them to their contracts or pay them more. Neither scenario is ideal.

Id say Spurs have a market value of £300 million worth of talent in Kane Alli Dier Rose Walker and Eriksen. How much is that stadium costing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I love Valencia but it is embarrassing he hasn't learnt English after 11 years. 11 years? He is either extremely lazy or extremely stupid!!

And, yes, I do love him!

Works like a horse on the pitch, probably lazy as shíte off it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

And, yes, I do love him!
    isn't he from a very poor area maybe he wasn't that well educated seeing where he came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    Works like a horse on the pitch, probably lazy as shíte off it!

I posted about this before, Kevin Kilbane was speaking about him a while back and said he never got a formal education and as a result could never pick up the language, he knows enough to get by especially on the pitch but speaks in his native tongue all the time.
    It's actually fairytale stuff how far Valencia has come considering where he came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And, yes, I do love him!

He was extremely illiterate growing up and couldn't write in his own language, very poorly educated in general, very hard to grasp a second language with that level of education.

He can actually speak English a bit, but he is very uncomfortable in social situations speaking it so chooses to use an interpreter to make sure he doesn't make any mistakes. Pretty sure there is a video floating of him explaining his upbringing and his move to England n that.

Lads I don't care how illiterate someone is, if they are 11 years in a country and they have a fully functioning adult brain, they should be able to hold a conversation in English at this stage. Ha.

Fair play to him, he's probably fluent as anyone but just hates interviews.

By the way, Ive yet to hear Sergio Aguero speak English yet either. There's a few players out there keeping their English to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

GSPfan wrote: »
    Lads I don't care how illiterate someone is, if they are 11 years in a country and they have a fully functioning adult brain, they should be able to hold a conversation in English at this stage. Ha.

By the way, Ive yet to hear Sergio Aguero speak English yet either. There's a few players out there keeping their English to a minimum.

Mostly south America players. Euan McKenna was on radio during the week say Diego Costa doesn't know the other players names at Chelsea!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Lads I come from Wexford and I can bloody speak two languages no excuse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GSPfan wrote: »

How do you know they don't converse in English with teammates in dressing room? Few people won't be comfortable speaking in foreign language infront of large audience, not all people have the same confidence when it comes to mic skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I'm sure Valencia can understand and speak a bit of English at this stage but he's probably just shy to do interviews and media in it. Can't see how you can be in a country for 11 years and not pick up the native language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

I'm sure Valencia can understand and speak a bit of English at this stage but he's probably just shy to do interviews and media in it. Can't see how you can be in a country for 11 years and not pick up the native language.

Look ,you can hardly blame him from refraining from using English, who'd want a pure Manc accent :)

Valencia spoke English in a post match interview on Sky a few years ago .
    Check it out he spoke impeccably.

• Results since the draw to Man City

0-0 Draw
    1-1 Draw
    0-1 Win
    2-0 Loss
    1-1 Draw
    2-1 Loss
    0-0 Draw

We have only scored 4 goals in 7 matches. And those results are not pretty either.
    The more I think about it the more I'm concerned about the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I would be surprised if a player got players' player of the year for any club if he was just sitting in the corner talking to no one, and let's face Valencia isn't a world beater.

He must be popular and able to communicate to some extent with his teammates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Good morning all,

^Really hoping the rest the players will have had (if he's true to his word and plays the younger players on Sunday) will have done some good and we go out and attack.

A lot of those home draws, could see them coming after 15-20mins into the game. Need that early goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Results since the draw to Man City

0-0 Draw
    1-1 Draw
    0-1 Win
    2-0 Loss
    1-1 Draw
    2-1 Loss
    0-0 Draw

We have only scored 4 goals in 7 matches. And those results are not pretty either.

Anytime I watch the team without Pogba there is no drive or pace to the way we play, he is badly missed when he is not available. You would obviously expect to miss one of the best players in the world but considering that he will surely need to be used more sparingly next year we need someone else to provide that drive from the middle (not Wayne Rooney)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Results since the draw to Man City

0-0 Draw
    1-1 Draw
    0-1 Win
    2-0 Loss
    1-1 Draw
    2-1 Loss
    0-0 Draw

Don't think about it. Problem solved. ;)

Seriously though I think its best to just think positive thoughts and try enjoy the idea that we only need to win one game and we get a major trophy and guaranteed group stage CL next season. The fantasy lineups that'll be posted on Wednesday night when we win will be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I totally agree with this. Given the choice I'd never speak a foreign language if it was going on record because I'd be afraid of making the 1 mistake in a 100. Much easier to confidently get your point across in your native tongue if it's an option.

And it must be terrifying watching how the words of natural English speakers are twisted in the media.

The last few results have seen many first teamers rested. So form is a bit dodgy to consider when there was no Pogba, Valencia, Herrera, Rashford....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Howya Hun,yer mammy keeps ya lovely, 'specially on a Sunday.:)

Listening to off the ball last night, those goal bonuses for Zlatan are absolutely nuts. Love to know how the rest of the team feel about that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Whatever ye lot speak down there isn't a proper language though :D

zerks wrote: »
    Howya Hun,yer mammy keeps ya lovely, 'specially on a Sunday.:)

Yup Sahn how ya getting on ehhh.

astradave wrote: »
    Whatever ye lot speak down there isn't a proper language though :D

Exactly I can speak English and native wexfordian tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Listening to off the ball last night, those goal bonuses for Zlatan are absolutely nuts. Love to know how the rest of the team feel about that.

How will they feel? They will be very relaxed knowing they are making more money than they could have at any club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Chelsea only scored 9 more open play goals but 14 more set piece goals than us.

Who is scoring them for Chelsea?

Costa & Cahill or is it a mix?

Korat wrote: »
    Who is scoring them for Chelsea?

Costa & Cahill or is it a mix?

Costa 21
    Hazard 16
    Pedro 12
    Willian 11
    Cahill 8
    Batshuayi 7
    Fabregas 7

Compared to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We'll never know, but its hard not to wonder if those goal bonus's affected certain decisions over the course of the season.

Judging whether a player is fit to play or not relies a lot on feedback from the player, I wonder how many times Zlatan probably needed a rest but said he felt fine because he wanted to play and get another few hundred thousand? I wonder how many times he didn't lay the ball off because a goal is worth so much more to him than an assist?

There were times Zlatan was pretty gash on the field but he was rarely if ever taken off, I always wondered why that was, were these huge bonuses a factor? Was there going to be a pissed off Zlatan if he got taken off and then a penalty was awarded?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    How will they feel? They will be very relaxed knowing they are making more money than they could have at any club.

Yeah true but when they see the guy on the huge goal bonus (around 100k per goal) shooting from all angles they ain't going to be happy.

Morale levels currently are extremely low and things like this won't help.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Morale levels currently are extremely low and things like this won't help.

Are they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sergio Romero's record for Man Utd this season:

17 games
    13 wins
    11 clean sheets
    6 conceded
    0 defeats

I know, I know it was against largely poor opponents but that's a remarkable record.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So there are a couple of Neymar stories...
    One is from COPE who say directors at Barcelona are prepared to sell Neymar if they get a high enough bid.

Diario Gol say Neymar is unhappy with his current Barcelona contract, his wish is to stay at Barcelona but they claim Florentino Perez of Real Madrid has been in close contact with Mourinho as they are still friends and has told him that they believe Neymar could move to United with the right offer.

Just reporting the gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM_7 wrote: »
    Yes, keeping a core is important over time.

If United signed Perisic (example) and got three good years out of him perhaps the next Rooney would be available to be brought in to get 10 years from.

Sometimes a player who is exactly what he is going to be is best rather than a player of potential. A Diego Milito for Jose in his past, Dani Alves for Juve, Zlatan for PSG then United.

United are on a position where some short term signings can really help the team compete for major titles as the right players to bring in (to the team like Rashford or add a new signing) for a longer period are identified.

We're probably not going to agree on the pros and cons of buying older players, but just to be clear, I'm not talking about us buying players based on potential here (although we can do that too, separately). I'm suggesting that instead of buying a player with the quality we want who is in his late twenties, we buy players of the required quality who are in the early or mid twenties.

We have the money to spend that we can do this, because we don't need to compromise on quality or age. And it wouldn't even be that much more expensive anyway. At 34m (the price being suggested in thread) we can get a player of the same quality as Nainggolan who is several years younger.

I think the times when it's worth buying an older player for a team like United are very rare. Like Ibra last summer was a good example - new manager at the club bringing in a goal scorer he knew and could trust, a bit of a crutch for the manager to lean on as he tried to get things up and running. I don't see any reason why we need to do that with a midfielder this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think Ander and Tony are two good shouts, but can't really fathom how Ibrahimovic got looked past on either award.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement