Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah true but when they see the guy on the huge goal bonus (around 100k per goal) shooting from all angles they ain't going to be happy.

Morale levels currently are extremely low and things like this won't help.

Every player will have performance related bonus, not sure why people are surprised that striker has goal bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I love Valencia but it is embarrassing he hasn't learnt English after 11 years. 11 years? He is either extremely lazy or extremely stupid!!

And, yes, I do love him!

Entirely possible there is some learning difficulties or genuine reason.

He is frequently described as a model proffessional, humble and one of the hardest workers of modern times in the club.

While I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on someones upbringing, economic background or the country they came from, but I think it's fair enough that not everyone coming into football is academically strong or has the capacity for languages. Dyslexia for example could rule someone out of learning languages easily.

Don't know the facts behind Valencia, just a bit crass assuming its lazyness or stupidity. Know you probably didn't mean it to be visceral, but I think its fair to assume there is probably a form of learning issue there blocking him.

We'll never know, but its hard not to wonder if those goal bonus's affected certain decisions over the course of the season.

Judging whether a player is fit to play or not relies a lot on feedback from the player, I wonder how many times Zlatan probably needed a rest but said he felt fine because he wanted to play and get another few hundred thousand? I wonder how many times he didn't lay the ball off because a goal is worth so much more to him than an assist?

There were times Zlatan was pretty gash on the field but he was rarely if ever taken off, I always wondered why that was, were these huge bonuses a factor? Was there going to be a pissed off Zlatan if he got taken off and then a penalty was awarded?

Every player will have performance related bonus, I think people are reading way too much into it.

In Serie A there are reports that players have assist bonus also, so you thin they will just lump the ball into the box in a hope they will get assist? If what you said was true then Zlatan would have been in China cleaning his **** with dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Results since the draw to Man City

0-0 Draw
    1-1 Draw
    0-1 Win
    2-0 Loss
    1-1 Draw
    2-1 Loss
    0-0 Draw

We have only scored 4 goals in 7 matches. And those results are not pretty either.
    The more I think about it the more I'm concerned about the final.

We've badly missed Pogba and Ibra. Not just their goals and creativity, but their ability to hold up the ball for the rest to play off. Pogba will be back for the final at least.

My hope for the final is that Jose comes up with a plan to sit deep and counter with pace, which might mitigate the lack of Ibra. I really, really hope we don't see Mkhitaryan, Martial or Mata on the wings again. I'd rather see Young, Lingard and even Shaw on the wings for that plan to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pro. F wrote: »
    We have the money to spend that we can do this, because we don't need to compromise on quality or age. And it wouldn't even be that much more expensive anyway. At 34m (the price being suggested in thread) we can get a player of the same quality as Nainggolan who is several years younger.

Genuine curiosity here, but have you names in mind who you think would be the same quality as Nain, but the same price too?
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Think Ander and Tony are two good shouts, but can't really fathom how Ibrahimovic got looked past on either award.

I always love awards like Player's Player because it gives an insight into what the other players think of each other. I think Val has had a very good season but would personally have ought Ibra would have been more important. But they obviously see Val has having the more important contribution.

As far as a fan voting one, I'm surprised but not shocked by Ander; his sheer passion and his dedication are so clear when he's on the pitch, even when he's performing poorly, and I think fans love him for his attitude. Would love to see the voting break down. Also wonder if Ibra getting hurt damaged his chances a bit since he's out of sight, out of mind. Personally, our decline since we lost his goals shows how vital he was imo.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    We've badly missed Pogba and Ibra. Not just their goals and creativity, but their ability to hold up the ball for the rest to play off. Pogba will be back for the final at least.

My hope for the final is that Jose comes up with a plan to sit deep and counter with pace, which might mitigate the lack of Ibra. I really, really hope we don't see Mkhitaryan, Martial or Mata on the wings again. I'd rather see Young, Lingard and even Shaw on the wings for that plan to work.

That's the thing though, I'd be nearly certain Jose will play the strongest squad on paper but as you say tactically we will more than likely sit deep / counter.

I know Lingard , Young Shaw ect tend to get heat from fans but at least they will be in a better position defensively and still offer an offensive threat.
    that's Joses mindset I'd expect.

Regardless it's not the approach that will likely get us the win. This is Ajax, a decent side nothing more.

Pogba in the middle at least will add some form of forward thinking in midfield however, he will play into space. Hopefully Rashford is willing to run into that space.

Ducker is reporting that ManUtd are ready to sell Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A while ago I would have fallen of my chair reading Young ahead of Mkhitaryan but he has looked pretty brutal lately if I'm honest.

What game was it a few months ago that Lingaard and Rashford were just cutting through some team for fun on the break.? Can't remember, but it was devastating and I remember freaking because instead of changing I think Lingaard for Martial, and keeping it going, he brought on Carrick/Fellaini and it invited someone onto us and we conceded. Think it was Middlesborough

With Shaw out injured and Young not really featuring I'd imagine he will an iteration of that gameplan, with Rashford leading the line with Lingaard on one flank and Mhikitaryian on the other.

Mhikitaryian is really strong on the dribble but seems to be just a bit all over the place at the moment. But if him, Rashford and Lingaard are on song, could slice them up on the counter.

And that tactic is fine, and its actually a very exciting thing to watch. Problem with our attempts using it under Mourinho in big games thus far, is the team is so far camped in the box its firing long channel balls hoping Rashford does magic. Need to make sure there is actually people breaking and supporting. Opposition will know its the tactic, so theyve easily snuffed it out

If he does this craic of Lingaard and Mhikitaryian playing as full backs, forget it. There is too much ground to cover on the break and it gets snuffed out. He needs to put some faith in our full backs to deal with ****.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

We're probably not going to agree on the pros and cons of buying older players, but just to be clear, I'm not talking about us buying players based on potential here (although we can do that too, separately). I'm suggesting that instead of buying a player with the quality we want who is in his late twenties, we buy players of the required quality who are in the early or mid twenties.

We have the money to spend that we can do this, because we don't need to compromise on quality or age. And it wouldn't even be that much more expensive anyway. At 34m (the price being suggested in thread) we can get a player of the same quality as Nainggolan who is several years younger.

I think the times when it's worth buying an older player for a team like United are very rare. Like Ibra last summer was a good example - new manager at the club bringing in a goal scorer he knew and could trust, a bit of a crutch for the manager to lean on as he tried to get things up and running. I don't see any reason why we need to do that with a midfielder this summer.

Maybe we are closer to agreeing. If two similar players in quality are available and you can afford both, the squad suits either option, the younger one is the one to go for.

Signing an older player would be when the alternate is not available or because of established/proven qualites (perhaps the side has enough players with something to prove).

For United, with Bailly, Shaw, Rashford, Martial, Pogba around, Zlatan going, I can see an added benefit in some more established players who would be an immediate first 11 selection.

Too many of the older players on board now like Carrick, Fellaini, Rooney cant demand a first team spot in every game.

• Advertisement

James Ducker saying United will listen to offers for Smalling.

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/865513522020536320

The cull has started.

With Shaw out injured and Young not really featuring I'd imagine he will an iteration of that gameplan, with Rashford leading the line with Lingaard on one flank and Mhikitaryian on the other.

Young is out of the season, injured.

Even when Young was fit, he played as full back this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Think Ander and Tony are two good shouts, but can't really fathom how Ibrahimovic got looked past on either award.

Ander's stats for the league are very impressive, highest in the club for tackles, interceptions, passes completed and joint top for assists.

He's up near the top of the overall league in most of those categories as well.

United have an open media day today,expect some stories to be actual briefings to journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Genuine curiosity here, but have you names in mind who you think would be the same quality as Nain, but the same price too?

Naby Keita, Diawara, Jorginho for example would probably all be had for that price or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Angel Gomes in the squad!
    Jose on Sunday's squad: "Joel and O'Hara. Mitchell. Harrop. Gomes. McTominey. Fosu-Mensah. Axel. Plus 3/4 first-team players to play 1 half"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

A midfield trio of Naingollan, Herrera and Pogba has me weak at the knees lads.

• Rumour has it Sam Platts is closing??
    Say it isn't so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At least we have 1 signing complete. Hope for few more big names now. Be nice to do a early summer like 2007 again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Looks like Angel Gomes might be getting his debut at the weekend. He is still 16? Great prospect for the club.

Im looking forward to the game. Id play Rooney as hopefully it will be his last game at OT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Looks like Angel Gomes might be getting his debut at the weekend. He is still 16? Great prospect for the club.

Im looking forward to the game. Id play Rooney as hopefully it will be his last game at OT

Lucky it is a "friendly" as, otherwise the guy would get physically destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Id play Rooney as hopefully it will be his last game at OT

It will be interesting to see what happens Rooney. He is a club legend but I think there is no longer any doubt that he is absolutely miles off the standard that we need at this club, can he really hang about for another season? I can't see it. But where does he go, who would have him considering what he has displayed recently?

Hopefully there isn't a saga where the club are trying to offload him but there aren't any takers because he won't agree a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

At least we have 1 signing complete. Hope for few more big names now. Be nice to do a early summer like 2007 again
    Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Who?

Arnau Puigmal, 16 year old from Espanyol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rumour has it Sam Platts is closing??
    Say it isn't so :(

Was told this a few mins ago... mad stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rooney is doing Carricks testimonial, isn't he? So hat would likely be the last game for him at OT in a United jersey, if he does go.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Rooney is doing Carricks testimonial, isn't he? So hat would likely be the last game for him at OT in a United jersey, if he does go.

Bit sad if it overshadows Carrick's match. But needs must. He will probably play the first half and get his standing ovation at half time and that will be that. Can't see him finishing the game and somewhat overshadowing the testimonial, in a sense.

But Rooney's send off will be Sunday really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Bit sad if it overshadows Carrick's match. But needs must. He will probably play the first half and get his standing ovation at half time and that will be that. Can't see him finishing the game and somewhat overshadowing the testimonial, in a sense.

But Rooney's send off will be Sunday really.
    Moaninho said today that Rooney won't play on Sunday cos he played 90 mins against Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didn't Gomes debut for the U-18's as a 13 year old?

• MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was told this a few mins ago... mad stuff

Any reason why?? Bishops blaze will be jammers now before games

Moaninho said today that Rooney won't play on Sunday cos he played 90 mins against Southampton.

really? That is odd. His last home game for the club. Not very fair on Rooney either. I know he is struggling but he hasn't depreciated so much that he can't play two dead rubber games in the space of 4 days.

EDIT: I forgot he had played the full 90 against Arsenal and Spurs also.

I would imagine Rooney would love to play at least the second half on Sunday though. It is not as if he will be called upon against Ajax, I anticipate unless things really get complicated.

Moaninho

Interesting.

really? That is odd. His last home game for the club. Not very fair on Rooney either. I know he is struggling but he hasn't depreciated so much that he can't play two dead rubber games in the space of 4 days.

Being cynical I might say that dropping him in this situation would make very clear where he stands should he have notions about staying at the club.

Being cynical I might say that dropping him in this situation would make very clear where he stands should he have notions about staying at the club.

Eh, doubt he has any notions.
    Do you really think Rooney is planning on staying, hoping to stay or thinks he has a future at OT. :confused:

The lad knows well where he stands and I am sure Mourinho knows well that Rooney knows he is leaving after this season?

• Advertisement

Eh, doubt he has any notions.
    Do you really think Rooney is planning on staying, hoping to stay or thinks he has a future at OT. :confused:

The lad knows well where he stands and I am sure Mourinho knows well that Rooney knows he is leaving after this season?

I think it should be pretty clear to him after the season just gone.

But perhaps its felt that there is no harm in driving the message home, in making clear that sentiment is in short supply.

Any reason why?? Bishops blaze will be jammers now before games

Can't see a thing on Google about it closing, but I phoned the pub there now and the line just kept ringing without answer.

Be a shame to see it closed, the best in the area by a mile for pre-game cans of cheap piss and catching up on any new chants. That's where I first heard the Zlatan chant last September before the Leicester game, back when we were still going to challenge for the league :o

I think it should be pretty clear to him after the season just gone.

But perhaps its felt that there is no harm in driving the message home, in making clear that sentiment is in short supply.

That is nonsense. I know Mourinho can be a bit of a c*nt and sell out certain players but he has a certain degree of empathy and respect, especially for a player like Rooney.
    Whatever about not feeling he is capable of getting through the game or feeling he may need to save him as a complete last resort versus Ajax, I couldn't see him purposely making a mockery of Rooney by giving him essentially two fingers up .

He also didn't say he wouldn't play him, he said he wasn't sure (doesn't know if he will, due to his "exertions" midweek)

I would be willing to wager he will be on the bench Sunday but will get 25 to 30 minutes at the end.

Mourinho has always spoke respectfully about Rooney and tried his best to for him to prove some worth earlier on in the season so I anticipate they have a mutual respect.

I know it is a meaningless game but I am sure Rooney would like to step out on the turf one last time.

EDIT: I forgot he had played the full 90 against Arsenal and Spurs also.

I would imagine Rooney would love to play at least the second half on Sunday though. It is not as if he will be called upon against Ajax, I anticipate unless things really get complicated.

I'd be slightly wary of him being rested for a starting place next Wednesday.

Jose has signified that he is going to play many of the kids this weekend. So in that sense, he really doesn't care about the result of the game. Unless Rooney is injured rather than just "he played 90 mins in the last match", why not throw him in there with the youngsters?

Maybe Jose does have an eye on the final with Rooney in mind - If it goes to extra time and penalties, Jose might want a fresh Rooney to sub on rather than a Rooney who ran the bollix of himself in an exhibition match against Palace a few days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The LMA's manager of the year award has been renamed the Sir Alex Ferguson Trophy.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10884005/manchester-united-great-sir-alex-ferguson-honoured-by-lma-trophy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The LMA's manager of the year award has been renamed the Sir Alex Ferguson Trophy.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10884005/manchester-united-great-sir-alex-ferguson-honoured-by-lma-trophy

Well deserved for the GOAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For those of you who didn't know, on the complete opposite of Antonio Valencia's language ability, Mkhitaryan is fluent in 5 languages and has basic German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Mars Bar wrote: »
    For those of you who didn't know, on the complete opposite of Antonio Valencia's language ability, Mkhitaryan is fluent in 5 languages and has basic German.

Impossible. It takes over 11 years and counting to learn a language.

Whatever about not feeling he is capable of getting through the game or feeling he may need to save him as a complete last resort versus Ajax

Nonsense or not, if Rooney doesn't play Sunday I would very much doubt it is because he is being saved for Wednesday, because if Rooney was an option for the Final the best thing he could do is get more gametime.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Mostly south America players. Euan McKenna was on radio during the week say Diego Costa doesn't know the other players names at Chelsea!

That wouldn't surprise me...

...not in the slightest.

Just because these lads impress on a football pitch and are professionals in their field doesn't mean that they would have any interest in learning a second language. Or even have the capability and/or the attention span for seeing it through. I can't imagine it's high on the likes of Costa's priorities, doubt he's working away at Duolingo in his spare time.

A lot of these South American players with a less than ideal and educated upbringing, they come to England to play football and make bank. And rarely, if ever, spend considerable time in the country again once their playing time there is over. I can't imagine it worth their while in actively learning the language, not if it's not hindering their job/lifestyle.

Costa seems to be doing fine without it, as does Tony V even though he has very basic English. My only thing is that in an English speaking country, the club/national manager must be a fluent (or near fluent) English speaker.

stankratz wrote: »
    Just because these lads impress on a football pitch and are professionals in their field doesn't mean that they would have any interest in learning a second language. Or even have the capability and/or the attention span for seeing it through. I can't imagine it's high on the likes of Costa's priorities, doubt he's working away at Duolingo in his spare time.

A lot of these South American players with a less than ideal and educated upbringing, they come to England to play football and make bank. And rarely, if ever, spend considerable time in the country again once their playing time there is over. I can't imagine it worth their while in actively learning the language, not if it's not hindering their job/lifestyle.

How can you be in a country 11 years and it not be worth your while learning the language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mars Bar wrote: »

Nearly as many passports as januzaj holds ;)

Nonsense or not, if Rooney doesn't play Sunday I would very much doubt it is because he is being saved for Wednesday, because if Rooney was an option for the Final the best thing he could do is get more gametime.

Think you have missed the core point of my reply.

Regardless of whether Jose would like to be left in a position where he has to play Rooney Wednesday at all, he will be likely named on the bench Wednesday given the lack of options.
    Anyway I am merely saying your suggestion that he would not give him an Old Trafford send off Sunday to ram it down his throat that, in a manner of speaking, he needs to get the f**k out of Manchester, just in case he has any notions that he may still figure in his plans next season is ridiculous.

So to sum it all up!

1. Rooney is out of OT this Summer
    2. Rooney is fully aware that he is out of Old Trafford this Summer
    3. Jose has no plans to keep Rooney around
    4. Rooney is fully aware Jose has no plans to keep Rooney around
    5. Jose is aware that Rooney is fully aware that Jose jas no plans to keep
    Rooney around!

So, therefore,

6. Jose has no need to have to ram it down Rooney's throat in such a manner
    that you are suggesting he may be planning on doing!

Re Rooney and Jose, both are aware and both are aware that the other is aware that Rooney won't be around come August!

;):D

Think you have missed the core point of my reply.

I didn't miss it, but it was never more than idle musing in the first place so I wasn't pushed on responding to that part.

stankratz wrote: »
    That wouldn't surprise me...

...not in the slightest.

Just because these lads impress on a football pitch and are professionals in their field doesn't mean that they would have any interest in learning a second language. O

I doubt, after 11 years, this is the reason. Surviving in a country without any ability to understand people around you (that aren't Spanish speakers) is very difficult for a whole decade.

You can't bring your interpreter everywhere!
    Hasn't he had multiple affairs also that ended his marriage!
    He must have had to get his interpreter to book the hotel rooms :D

He just seems to be very illiterate and, hence, unable to apply himself to learning another language.

But after a decade in the country, at some stage he must have said, (in Spanish!) that he would love to be able to learn the language.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement