Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How can you be in a country 11 years and it not be worth your while learning the language?

He's a multi-millionaire. My guess is when you hit a certain point of wealth, you can get away with things like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's a multi-millionaire. My guess is when you hit a certain point of wealth, you can get away with things like that...

Communicating with the world around you isn't really something you try to get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Wonder when he was learning English he said something wrong players gave him stick over it and he got self conscious over it and won't risk saying something wrong again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Who cares if he can speak English or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I lay the blame squarely at Jose's door. He's had a whole season to get Valencia to learn English and it has been a complete failure. LvG and Moyes couldn't do it either but that's besides the point. This is the most expensive squad of multilingual players ever assembled so Valencia should be able to sing the theme tune to Paw Patrol at the very least. If Valencia doesn't do an interview in English by next Wednesday I genuinely worry for our future under Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GSPfan wrote: »
    I lay the blame squarely at Jose's door. He's had a whole season to get Valencia to learn English and it has been a complete failure. LvG and Moyes couldn't do it either but that's besides the point. This is the most expensive squad of multilingual players ever assembled so Valencia should be able to sing the theme tune to Paw Patrol at the very least. If Valencia doesn't do an interview in English by next Wednesday I genuinely worry for our future under Jose.

Now we know the real reason why SAF retired

Valencia or Valentia as Brian Kerr calls him refused to learn English :D

Communicating with the world around you isn't really something you try to get away with.

Yeah. But when you have footballer's "**** You!" money, I guess he can just choose to communicate with people who speak the language he wants to speak. Its not like he's actually working a job that it's a massive hinderence, and he probably has personal assistants, etc, who he can just tell what he wants and they get it.

Guessing.

*Stares longingly at Euromillions ticket ahead of €110m jackpot tonight*

How can you be in a country 11 years and it not be worth your while learning the language?

I agree. I feel lost myself when I visit a foreign country for more than a few days and don't know the local language. Can't imagine what it would be like living and working there for so long and still not be fluent, I'd be lost.

However, these guys 'live and work' in a foreign country like none of us will ever know and it changes the situation completely. The choice for many of them could boil down to - Put in lots of hours over several years learning a language I'm likely not going to need from my mid-thirties onward, or pay a relative pittance to employ a translator for the years I'm here.

Tony V has shown that he has an understanding of the language. He's not reciting Shakespear in the below vids, but showing that he knows a bit and in the first video clearly understands the interviewer's question.

Also, as I said in the last post, there's the educational ability/willingness of someone to learn that language.

I watched a good, short documentary recently on Valencia and his journey from childhood in Ecuador to playing for United. Lots of interviews with his family, early coaches, teachers, footage from where he grew up, etc. Both his mother and teacher said that he had absolutely no interest in learning to read or write, he just had football on the brain from a very early age. He went to school in the morning as a requirement, but everything else was football from the afternoon on. Even after break-times, it wouldn't be unusual for the teacher to have to go outside to bring him back into class as he played football in the yard.

For anyone who wants to watch the documentary, in Spanish with English subs...

Now at this stage in life, he is earning more money than he could ever wish for. If he's been doing alright without becoming fluent in English, the longer he gets by without it the less incentive there is for him to learn it.

His native language is Spanish so he's not exactly lost for company in the circle that he works in, plus Spanish is in the Top 5 of European languages spoken in England.

I imagine that he gets by just fine with his basic understanding of the English language, and to learn it at this stage would not be the best use of his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Pro. F wrote: »
    Naby Keita, Diawara, Jorginho for example would probably all be had for that price or less.

There are very good reasons why those players would cost less IMHO.

Diawara hasn't even been a regular for Napoli. He's spent most of the last few months getting splinters on the bench. He'd be a huge risk.

Jorginho is decent, but do we want another midfielder that has zero goal threat to help us turn those draws into wins? He hasn't scored for Napoli in 3 seasons.

Naby Keita may be an excellent player in time but it would be a risk for where we are right now. He may come in and be a superstar or he may come in struggle massively. If we already had an excellent squad and were looking for a prospect, I'd be delighted to take him but it's the exactly opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Now we know the real reason why SAF retired

Valencia or Valentia as Brian Kerr calls him refused to learn English :D

So did Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/865653134781108224

Has 5 goals and 3 assists this season. Hope he gets a chance next.

Angel Gomes training with the first team.

3vwtuyO.jpg

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/forevruntd/status/865580448717471749

Angel Gomes training with the first team.

3vwtuyO.jpg

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/forevruntd/status/865580448717471749

Was about to ask how old he is because of his height looked smaller than Jose (5ft 7) only 16 years of age, plenty of time to grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He's Nani's cousin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He's Nani's cousin

Well if he is half as good as his cousin was ............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jayo26 wrote: »

He might be able to hit a corner 5 yards instead of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ive seen a little bit of him for the youth team, looks an exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

v3ttel wrote: »
    There are very good reasons why those players would cost less IMHO.

Diawara hasn't even been a regular for Napoli. He's spent most of the last few months getting splinters on the bench. He'd be a huge risk.

Jorginho is decent, but do we want another midfielder that has zero goal threat to help us turn those draws into wins? He hasn't scored for Napoli in 3 seasons.

Naby Keita may be an excellent player in time but it would be a risk for where we are right now. He may come in and be a superstar or he may come in struggle massively. If we already had an excellent squad and were looking for a prospect, I'd be delighted to take him but it's the exactly opposite.

I don't agree that whether or not a player is starting regularly for their team is a good way to judge quality. Context is important. Napoli have one of the best midfields in Europe, so Diawara not being first choice is not an issue. He's played a third of their minutes in league football and started four of their eight CL games (all were games that mattered), including both legs of their KO tie against Real.

Jorginho is a lot more than a decent player. But, I agree that he doesn't bring goal threat, and neither does Diawara. I was more looking for good central midfielders rather than close copies of Nainggolan. I think if we're looking for more goals, then buying the likes of Griezmann, Lukaku, Belotti and/or whoever should solve that.

Naby Keita is an excellent player already. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not banking on potential, I'm talking about getting players who are of the required quality already (we can additionally buy players based on potential too). This season Keita has been excellent, every bit as good as Nainggolan. Keita is maybe the most similar Nainggolan alternative I can think of - in that he scores, tackles, creates and works hard - although he's a bit different in that he's more of a dribbler.

We're not likely to agree on any particular direct player comparisons, but we don't need to. I shouldn't have even mentioned the specific price, because we can spend a bit more for the right player if we need to. The thing is, when a club has such a big transfer budget, as United do, they shouldn't need to cut corners by making short term signings. The manager should be able to find enough goals, passing, creativity, defensive quality and leadership in the team he builds without having to resort to signing older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

I think jose will sign somebody in the midfield that hasn't been on anyone's radar, similar to the Bailly (sp) signing, came out of nowhere and has proven a great signing

Stories this morning that Spurs are thinking about re signing Sigurdsson

I think he would be a good addition to any of the top sides squads just for the set pieces alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thibus wrote: »
    I think jose will sign somebody in the midfield that hasn't been on anyone's radar, similar to the Bailly (sp) signing, came out of nowhere and has proven a great signing

If he can nab an unknown DM that proves to be as big a warrior as Bailly I'll be fuppin delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rod Munch wrote: »
    If he can nab an unknown DM that proves to be as big a warrior as Bailly I'll be fuppin delighted.

Hopefully not African tho as I'd hate to see two Lynch pins of our team disappear at the same time every few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Lacazette has confirmed he wants to leave Lyon.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hopefully not African tho as I'd hate to see two Lynch pins of our team disappear at the same time every few years

Racist racist racist racist ;)

Agree tho too many players missing every January would not be good.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Lacazette has confirmed he wants to leave Lyon.

He is going to Madrid to replace griezmann 100 percent.

MEN saying Jose is considering a move for Matic if Dier proves too difficult to get.

• Rod Munch wrote: »

https://twitter.com/NickiDupre/status/865564984436248577

Anyone else looking forward to game tomorrow? Cant wait to see some of the younger players in action and a bit of fight and spirit from them hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mitchell is not amused by that photo

Anyone else looking forward to game tomorrow? Cant wait to see some of the younger players in action and a bit of fight and spirit from them hopefully.

I reckon we lose, but it will be great to see some of the kids get that chance. Possibly should have been done last week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He's only 16 so not really relevant but man it's funny to see a player smaller than Mata, hope he gets a run out tomorrow.

I reckon we lose, but it will be great to see some of the kids get that chance. Possibly should have been done last week too.

Definitely should of been done against Southampton anyway but result don't matter just get some out and have their debuts out of the way in a no pressure match.

• Result does matter IMO
    Another loss on a horrible streak of 8 games is not the preparation we need before a final regardless of who lines out.
    For the fans travelling to OT for the last game of the season I highly doubt they want to see a loss at home against Palace

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Result does matter IMO
    Another loss on a horrible streak of 8 games is not the preparation we need before a final regardless of who lines out.
    For the fans travelling to OT for the last game of the season I highly doubt they want to see a loss at home against Palace

No one wants to see a loss and especially the fans that travel of course but in terms of our season and all of the games we have played this year and of the two games left we have to play this result has absolutely no relevance to it at all.

Yes it would be a horrible run and would be nice to end the season on a high but it is simply like a pre final game it will get pogba back into the swing of things and give a run out to one or two of the first team players that need it and that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Thibus wrote: »

Anyone know much about Thiago Maia ? Football manager legend ,he'd surely fit that type of signing and has been linked to us over last few months

Legend, knew we could count on him...

Zlatan: "Ready for the final"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUUK7qIgJE5/

In fairness, I've seen him move slower around the field for us this season and still produce a goal :pac:

Zlatan is a highly talented, multi-millionaire so I know he's not supposed to have problems. But you have to feel for the guy. He was shaping up to play in a final in his home country on the back of a very good debut season in England, where many observers thought/hoped he would fail.

He proved those people wrong, and the cherry on top would have been lining out for us in the final in Stockholm. To be honest, looking at him alone in the pool there, not preparing for the final but trying to get back to the stage of just kicking a ball, my heart goes out to him.

Whether he plays for United or not, I hope this injury isn't the end of his professional career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

#ready for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

The scenes if we was in the squad and came off the bench to score the winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Claims that Neymar's father wants his son to move to United.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Claims that Neymar's father wants his son to move to United.

Translation "I want money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wait, Zlatan might be back for the final? F*** right off, I don't believe it.

Been a bit skeptical of him through his career over attitude/reputation etc, but he has -completely- won me over this season as much for how he is off the field as how he is on it. If he's even able to make the bench as an emergency, desperation sub I'll be amazed even more. He turns 36 early next season, still has 1, 2, maybe even 3 years in him (the last one or two likely being 'pay day' season in the US or China or whatever) and aggravating that injury might well put that at a bit of risk when he doesn't need a Europa League win in the slightest in terms of career achievements, but here he is seemingly willing to risk it. Absolutely amazing dedication and determination yet again from the guy, he's been almost like an older generation boyhood fan type in terms of his commitment. Exemplary.

Also this suggests he would easily be able to go for us as early as preseason, surely it would be madness to not hold on to him if that were the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »

He would barely be back for next years final, never mind Wednesday.

He would barely be back for next years final, never mind Wednesday.
    That was my reckoning, might have got a bit excited at the prospect. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Sorry to disappoint but an ACL is 12 months, if he played in the final he could do permanent damage that would not only end his career but could also impact the leg ever healing.

Unreal we have played 37 games since the turn of the year it's the most of any team in European leagues.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint but an ACL is 12 months, if he played in the final he could do permanent damage that would not only end his career but could also impact the leg ever healing.

ACLs are not 12 months anymore but still 6+, been snowed under with work the last few weeks and was half hoping I had missed a more positive diagnosis since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Billy86 wrote: »

Been a bit skeptical of him through his career over attitude/reputation etc, but he has -completely- won me over this season as much for how he is off the field as how he is on it. If he's even able to make the bench as an emergency, desperation sub I'll be amazed even more. He turns 36 early next season, still has 1, 2, maybe even 3 years in him (the last one or two likely being 'pay day' season in the US or China or whatever) and aggravating that injury might well put that at a bit of risk when he doesn't need a Europa League win in the slightest in terms of career achievements, but here he is seemingly willing to risk it. Absolutely amazing dedication and determination yet again from the guy, he's been almost like an older generation boyhood fan type in terms of his commitment. Exemplary.

Also this suggests he would easily be able to go for us as early as preseason, surely it would be madness to not hold on to him if that were the case?
    He's been outstanding. I had similar thoughts to you and he's proven me wrong too. Especially since he's gotten 28 goals in a team that can't score goals easy. I'd be happy if he stayed.

Wasnt there a set number of games that Ibra needed to play in to trigger the contract extension?

We on TV tomorrow, lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wasnt there a set number of games that Ibra needed to play in to trigger the contract extension?

Yeah,he fell just short.

Zlatan will be in Sweden come midweek but as a spectator only.He'll be great to have around the squad though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement