Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First estimate too high! Electric Ireland

Options
  • 20-04-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, I live in a one bed apartment and I just received my first bill(estimate) for 331. I know for a fact this is about 300 over what it should be as I don't use any electric appliances apart from fridge, laptop and lights. why would electric Ireland estimate at such a high price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They may be going on the usage by the previous tenant for the same period last year.

Get a meter reading and submit it online or over the phone.  They'll issue a corrected bill to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Can you check the meter n record its reading? You can email, ring or text in your reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They may be going on the usage by the previous tenant for the same period last year.

Get a meter reading and submit it online or over the phone.  They'll issue a corrected bill to you.
    Yes I will have to get reading.

331 seems WAY too excessive though for a one bed apartment with no electric heating.

Owryan wrote: »
    Can you check the meter n record its reading? You can email, ring or text in your reading.
    As a matter of interest who submits the initial reading prior to a tenant entering a property? 

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You should confirm a starting reading with the landlord/agent when you move in, and ideally submit it yourself (so that you know it's been done).  Is the account in your name?  Either you or the landlord/agent would have had to submit the reading in order to open an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You should confirm a starting reading with the landlord/agent when you move in, and ideally submit it yourself (so that you know it's been done).  Is the account in your name?  Either you or the landlord/agent would have had to submit the reading in order to open an account.
    how much is one unit?
    1kw/h of electricity.

how much is one unit?
    1kw/h of electricity.
    I meant in price...

OK I see .1513 cents/unit.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It could be including E300 security deposit if you haven't set up a direct debit with them.

cbyrd wrote: »
    It could be including E300 security deposit if you haven't set up a direct debit with them.
    Yes you are correct...but I also have set up direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Lorne,

Thank you for getting in touch.

If you believe your bill was overestimated, we recommend submitting a meter reading.

ESB Networks read and maintain all electricity meters. They aim to read the meter four times a year. This means there will usually be two estimated readings.

Estimated readings are calculated based on previous usage at the property. Once a customer has been registered with Electric Ireland for some time and has had a number of accurate readings, a pattern of usage will be established.

We recommend that customers supply an accurate reading following any estimation. Any under or over estimation will be rectified once we have an accurate meter reading.

Did the property owner or letting agent register you at the property? If so, they would have supplied Electric Ireland with the meter reading.

If you would like us to check your Electric Ireland account, please send us a private message with the following information:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

We can then look into your query.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Advertisement
Advertisement