Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bark compost

Options
  • 20-04-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I have access to a couple of tons of broken down bark which was removed from a play ground so that fresh wood chippings can be put in.

Most of the bark removed from the play ground looks like dark soil. Is this compost? Can it be used to mix in with soil in raised beds etc without adding anything to it? Obviously I will screen it beforehand.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Compost needs to be a mixture of brown woody stuff like you have there, plus green material in probably a 60:40 to 70:30 proportion. You'll need to put it to one side and gradually add it into a regular compost heap where the kitchen waste, light hedge clippings, weeds etc., go, as these materials become available. You can also add in a small proportion of grass cuttings as long as you are prepared to turn it over daily for a 2-3 days so that the grass doesn't go slimy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You can add it to soil with little issue I guess, but it's much more likely to act as a soil conditioner than a fertility enricher.

Advertisement