Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swimming in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm with the Limerick Triathlon Club, I would be surprised if the Glin Tri Club came all the way into the city to do their swims?

I think at last testing, the water there was 'moderate'. This is certainly not clean. From my sources there is a sewage plant beside there and this further contaminates the river, but perhaps you know more about this that I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm with the Limerick Triathlon Club, I would be surprised if the Glin Tri Club came all the way into the city to do their swims?

There's also GoTri. They have a lot of members in the city.
    I think at last testing, the water there was 'moderate'. This is certainly not clean. From my sources there is a sewage plant beside there and this further contaminates the river, but perhaps you know more about this that I do.

Do you know how it compares to the quality in the city centre, or upriver at Castleconnell? And where is this result reported? I will check it out. There has been a great improvement in the water quality in the city centre since the Main Drainage Scheme, but I would have thought that it is still not amazing as there's still a few open outflows going into it. There's also Longpavement landfill which can't be helping. As well as that, the tide brings the treated water from the plant at Bunlicky back up towards the city so that could have an effect too.

The water quality in many of Ireland's inland waterways has deteriorated sharply in recent years which is very bad news for anyone who enjoys spending time in or around them - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/unwelcome-declines-in-irish-water-quality-1.3203878

You're the first person I have ever heard refer to GoTri as a Limerick based triathlon club. Its based out in Shannon so not really Limerick, surprised to hear they go swimming in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Well I have a tri wetsuit that has different thicknesses depending on body part its covering but it ranges from 1.5 to 5mm. Im sure any wetsuit would do. I also use a thick swim cap as your head can get pretty cold when your in the water for an extended time.
    Yeah, but you'd need a rocket-powered bike to get from Castletroy to Askeaton in 15 minutes. ;)

The op mentioned Foynes, Askeaton is right next to Foynes.

For anyone interested, which I'm sure is everyone, the council are seeking public consultation on identifying bathing waters in Limerick city and county. It would be great to see an official bathing area in Limerick city as currently no where in the city is designated as a specific bathing area.
    Public Participation in the Identification of ‘Bathing Waters’
    09 MAY 2018
    All 31 city and county councils are inviting public participation in the identification of Bathing Waters under the Bathing Waters Directive and the Bathing Water Quality Regulations 2008 (SI No 79 of 2008).

The Directive requires that water quality at all identified bathing waters meets stringent microbiological standards in order to protect the health of people who choose to bathe there. City and county councils are required under the 2008 Regulations to identify bathing waters on an annual basis.

This consultation process provides the public with an opportunity to:

comment on existing identified bathing waters with a view to continuation of classification,
    comment on other bathing waters not currently identified but which may be considered for classification.
    Local authorities must identify official bathing areas in their area every year so that they can be monitored for safety, water quality and their level of use. To help with this process, Limerick City and County Council are asking people who swim at beaches, lakes and rivers to tell them if they think they should maintain existing designated bathing waters designations or give a new official bathing area designation to areas that are commonly used for swimming, but not identified at the moment.

Under European and Irish law, Irish local authorities must identify bathing waters each year so that these areas can be monitored to ensure they meet stringent microbiological water quality standards. In some cases, the official bathing areas are also the areas where local authorities focus their resources providing lifeguards during the summer season. These laws also require that the local authority prepares detailed descriptions or profiles for each of the identified bathing water sites that describe not just the bathing area but also areas in the surface waters catchment area that could be a source of pollution. The profiles include an assessment the risk of pollution and what action would be taken if pollution occurs.

If you are a regular swimmer and want to help your Council decide which bathing areas should be classified as such, it might be helpful to consider the following:

comment on other bathing waters not currently identified but which may be considered for classification.
    How your swimming area has been used up to now;
    How many people use the site;
    What facilities exist at the site and how accessible it is;
    Any safety issues.
    If you wish to propose your favourite beach/river etc as a new bathing water site or comment on an existing site please contact the Water Safety Development Officer, Limerick City & County Council, Dooradoyle, Limerick or by email to wsdo@limerick.ie
    Comments are invited from interested parties.

Please make submissions by post to the Water Safety Development Officer, Limerick City & County Council, Dooradoyle, Limerick or by email to wsdo@limerick.ie

Please contact Limerick City and County Council for information on the criteria to be used.

Closing date for submissions to Limerick City and County Council is 22nd June 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

For anyone interested, which I'm sure is everyone, the council are seeking public consultation on identifying bathing waters in Limerick city and county. It would be great to see an official bathing area in Limerick city as currently no where in the city is designated as a specific bathing area.

It's a trick. They just want to identify areas where people are swimming and then they will stick up No Swimming notices.

Treepole wrote:
    It's a trick. They just want to identify areas where people are swimming and then they will stick up No Swimming notices.

Ha! How little we trust our council :)

If the recent spell of good weather has taught us anything it's that we desperately need a safe place for people to swim in the city centre. Please support in the first step to achieving a public bathing area in the city by contacting the council before next Friday and requesting a designated bathing area in Limerick. More details can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Done - and I dont even swim in the river, but should I want to, I'd love the option to be there.

Tomorrow is the last day for submissions to Limerick Council to request a designated bathing area in Limerick city. Email wsdo@limerick.ie and let's make splashing around the Shannon on a sunny day, safe and accessible to all

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/06/19/call-for-city-centre-swimming-area/

• Advertisement
Advertisement