Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frameless windows

Options
  • 20-04-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

So was up the country during the week and passed a new build, looked amazing, but the windows looked frameless. just searched it there on the google machine and it is a thing ! I never heard of it. Iv been to self build shows over the last two years and don't recalling sight nor sound of people putting in frameless windows. If you have had any experience/feedback please reply or pm me window company names and I am intrigued.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could be the Lumi range of Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

Do you know are these expensive? they looked really well

Nickypicky wrote: »
    Do you know are these expensive? they looked really well

Expensive from my experience (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

A friend is doing his own rebuild down in Kerry and saw it last weekend. Has put 'non opening' windows at the front of the house. Not quite frameless but with far thinner borders than the standard windows.

They look really great. And I think they were actually less than the standard ones.

quad_red wrote: »
    A friend is doing his own rebuild down in Kerry and saw it last weekend. Has put 'non opening' windows at the front of the house. Not quite frameless but with far thinner borders than the standard windows.

They look really great. And I think they were actually less than the standard ones.

How is he getting around Fire Escape Regulations?

• Advertisement

Pleas can you PM me the company that your friend has gone with ! I would be very interested in checking them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kceire wrote: »
    How is he getting around Fire Escape Regulations?

Er, no idea. The house is oddly shaped. The 'front' is the inside angle of an L shape. Only those windows (and they're on a corridor inside the walls) are that type. There is a door in the corner of the L.

Er, no idea. The house is oddly shaped. The 'front' is the inside angle of an L shape. Only those windows (and they're on a corridor inside the walls) are that type. There is a door in the corner of the L.

I think I get you- as in we have our front door and two long windows next to it. Surely those windows wont need to open for fire regualtions as it is next to an exit point anyway? Interesting though . I never had thought about having those non-opening windows!Must see if I have any other windows that I realistically wont open. Please PM me the company if you know it. Ive searched google but it is only leading me to the lumi range?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Can you PM me also thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Valfac do a "frameless" window. I know nothing about them. Saw them at Ideal Homes Show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Nickypicky wrote: »
    So was up the country during the week and passed a new build, looked amazing, but the windows looked frameless. just searched it there on the google machine and it is a thing ! I never heard of it. Iv been to self build shows over the last two years and don't recalling sight nor sound of people putting in frameless windows. If you have had any experience/feedback please reply or pm me window company names and I am intrigued.

Assuming the windows only "looked" frameless, then the 'devil is in the detail' - i.e. window frames are recessed behind the reveal/plasterwork. I worked with a company who done many projects with architects who loved the idea of hiding things and this was one of their things to hide. Might look great, but not sure how practical when you need to replace a piece of glass thats floor to ceiling and you cant get at the bead/slip.

Advertisement