Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very worried that my former partner may be accessing my laptop remotely.

• 20-04-2017 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

As the title says I am very concerned that my former partner who is an IT professional is accessing my laptop remotely. I will admit that I might just be a little paranoid but at the same time there have have been too many coincidences lately and I want to ensure that my privacy is protected going forward.

While we were together he would log on to my PC remotely to install software and resolve any IT issues I had. In addition to that he used to transfer movies from his PC to mine. He assured me that all the software he installed to allow him to do this was removed. However, there have been times recently when he has sent me messages within minutes of me logging on to my PC. I have a very uneasy feeling of being watched but I have no real proof. We are no longer connected on social media or apps so he shouldn't know that I have logged on to my laptop. A few weeks he remarked that I had been offline four hours, when I questioned him about this he said he was joking but I don't believe he was. I am worried that he is tracking when I'm in the house etc.

What measures can I take to ensure that he isn't accessing my laptop? Are there files I should be looking for and deleting? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

SpookedOut wrote: »
    As the title says I am very concerned that my former partner who is an IT professional is accessing my laptop remotely. I will admit that I might just be a little paranoid but at the same time there have have been too many coincidences lately and I want to ensure that my privacy is protected going forward.

While we were together he would log on to my PC remotely to install software and resolve any IT issues I had. In addition to that he used to transfer movies from his PC to mine. He assured me that all the software he installed to allow him to do this was removed. However, there have been times recently when he has sent me messages within minutes of me logging on to my PC. I have a very uneasy feeling of being watched but I have no real proof. We are no longer connected on social media or apps so he shouldn't know that I have logged on my laptop. A few weeks he remarked that I had been offline four hours, when I questioned him about this he said he was joking but I don't believe he was. I am worried that he is tracking when I'm in the house etc.

What measures can I take to ensure that he isn't accessing my laptop? Are there files I should be looking for and deleting? TIA.
    Not being smart....but i think a new laptop might be in order...save what you need to transfer on to new machine..or get another IT expert to give the laptop the once over they should easily be able to tell you if anything suspicious on laptop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Backup data,format hard drive,reinstall OS,restore profile (data,certain applications,settings).
    Enjoy it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Completely wipe the harddrive and do a new OS install. Log into your Microsoft/Apple account, change your password to a completely random, strong password that is unguessable. Change all email and other passwords too - start using a password manager like 1password, Lastpass, KeePass etc. Make sure there's nothing plugged into any of the USB ports, particularly if there's a desktop PC that you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

drop your PC in to a repair/service shop and ask them to remove any software that would allow remote access. Ask them to document anything they find in case you decide to develope this into a legal matter. As already suggested change passwords etc.

more than likely you have your laptop set to log in to some service such as gmail or facebook automatically and he can see when your profile goes "online" but best not to take chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

don't forget to change the password on your wifi router.

Can you make a system recovery disk, most manufacture don't ship CD' but put a re install image you the hard disk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Bacchus

While we were together he would log on to my PC remotely to install software and resolve any IT issues I had.

If he was able to do this before, most likely he's able to do this now as he was the person 'in charge' of your IT needs.
    In addition to that he used to transfer movies from his PC to mine. He assured me that all the software he installed to allow him to do this was removed.

Shouldn't have needed special software to just transfer files so don't know what that is.

Follow the advice above. Depending on your own technical know-how either....
    1) Go nuclear, get a new laptop. Only copy over files you need. Don't copy applications or folders that you do not know the contents of fully.
    2) Bring laptop to a technically capable person/shop to wipe the laptop and restore it
    3) Backup files you need to an external drive, wipe the the harddrive and reinstall OS yourself

As noted before, make sure to change router password too. Hopefully you have the current password so you can do this or else you will need to either 1) get the password off your ex or 2) get a new router

As a general rule too, change all your gmail, facebook, etc. passwords (to a brand spanking new one). I'd hazard a guess that you use the same password for multiple things and he knows this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Sup08

Easy Option
    Microsoft:

To prevent someone from using Remote Assistance to take control of this computer

1. Open System in Control Panel.
    2. On the Remote tab, click Settings.
    3. Clear the check box labeled Allow this computer to be controlled remotely.

You can then post a list of the software installed on your PC and we can advise what to remove.
    I would also rename the PC on your network.

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-change-the-full-computer-name-in-windows-7/

IF you are not happy with the above, back up and reset as previously advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SpookedOut

I appreciate all the replies and advice you all have given, thank you for your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Also borrow someone else's computer and on their system change all passwords of email and other accounts. Just in case of a key logger.

The advice to get a shop or repair man to sort the laptop out is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

OP, did you post using the laptop in question?
    I wouldn't trust the laptop until a reinstall at least, but getting a professional to look at it first would be a good idea. If there's evidence you've being spied on, report it.
    Harassment and Unauthorised Access are the relevant offences. If it gets to the point of his computer equipment being seized and examined you should find out the extent of his creepiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement