Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisey Neighbour

Options
  • 21-04-2017 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Bought a house and my neighbours are very loud and obnoxious. Playing music till 12 at night.

The house is filled with students, and it's rented out to them, owner doesn't live there.

Looking for advice

Contact owner first?

Someone told me, if I contact the owner of the property and try to resolve it but fail I can make an official complete to ptrb?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Contact the occupier first.
    If it still continues, contact the RTB to log a complaint to the owner.
    Repeat if necessary.

More here... http://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/antisocial-behaviour-and-noise-issues/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just had a look at the house rules for my complex and noise till midnight is OK. Since I assume my complex didn't make up the rules I'd say you'll have to use the old fashioned method and try asking them to turn the music off earlier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the house rules for my complex and noise till midnight is OK. Since I assume my complex didn't make up the rules I'd say you'll have to use the old fashioned method and try asking them to turn the music off earlier.

Noise until midnight is not acceptable in a residential context anywhere. Just because it may not be expressly forbidden in a unit's lease- does not mean its acceptable- it means the people who were drawing up the lease expected people to exercise a modicum of common sense and not take the piss.

Most people would contact the residents in the first instance, followed by the landlord- and then the RTB- but also be contacting the Gardai if there were constant parties in a dwelling which kept neighbours awake at night.

If the landlord is made aware of it- and does not take appropriate action- he/she is liable- and there have been large judgements against landlords at the RTB where due dilligence towards neighbours was not exercised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I live in a house so bit different to your problem,either side of me is rented. I find that knocking in and asking to quiet down only works to a certain degree.

I'm not saying this might help you but it helped me. House to my right were full of students, usual stuff, music , dancing in sitting room,loud talking especially at night. So one day I left a song on repeat in my house while I went to work. I knew next door would all be hungover.

Needless to say one of them mentioned it to me when I was walking into house, said the song was doing their head in. I said well it's terrible not being able to get a good nights kip with music playing loudly and that I was sorry as my radio alarm must be acting up. I think they got the message.

Advertisement