Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving HDD's to different Sata Ports

Options
  • 21-04-2017 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

I'll be picking up a 4x Controller USB3 PCIe card and it'll be going into the x4 slot on my Z170 mobo. This slot shares bandwidth with two of my Sata ports that have HDD's connected to them. I have other spare Sata slots that I can move the HDD cables to. Is it just a straight swap thats transparent to the OS (Win10). ie. no need to reconfigure anything or re-assign drive letters or drive mappings etc or will I have to do x,y or z before/after/during the swap and if so, What do I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Swapping is fine, but any programs that depend on links to files/directories will have to have those links updated.

That would only affect Windows if you've got non-default folders (on another drive) as your Pic, Videos, Music folders, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

grindle wrote: »
    That would only affect Windows if you've got non-default folders (on another drive) as your Pic, Videos, Music folders, etc etc.

Dont know what you're talking about here, paths wont change as windows will track the UID and mount the same drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is really only an issue if you have any RAID volumes set up. Modern BIOSes and Windows are well able to sort this stuff out themselves. The BIOS will search for a bootable HDD and use it, Windows will locate its drives and remap them to where they were.

Move the SATA connectors first, then boot up the system to make sure everything comes up OK. Then power it down and install your new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Great. Nice one chaps.

It was one of those questions where I was pretty sure I knew the answer.....but I've made that mistake before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

ED E wrote: »
    Dont know what you're talking about here, paths wont change as windows will track the UID and mount the same drive letter.

Must've been my own error when I was last transferring drives back and forth so. Plugged drives in and paths were reset to default somehow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement