Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a 50cc Scooter, advice needed . . . .

• 21-04-2017 7:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My wife is on the lookout for her 1st scooter, (50cc max). This will be in addition to her car, so in order to keep costs down she'll stick with 50cc max.

LeXmoto Milano (or similar) look the part, but are they any good? and can you pick up a good 2nd hand one here in Ireland, or must you import?

What about other brands in relation to price?
    Of course she'd love a genuine Vespa, but I guess they're very pricey!

...and finally, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

No idea, so we need advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We quite like the look of the 'Vespa-esque' Baotian Monza!

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Baotian-Monza-125.jpg

Half the price twice the trouble?

Opinions needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stay away from the Chinese, their quality and after sales isn't up much yet.

Stick with the big brands. Only issue is that because they have so little power they are always flat out and that means they'll all be rough. Finding a tidy road legal 2 stroke will be nearly impossible, they haven't meet emissions in years.

LordSutch wrote: »
    My wife is on the lookout for her 1st scooter, (50cc max). This will be in addition to her car, so in order to keep costs down she'll stick with 50cc max.

LeXmoto Milano (or similar) look the part, but are they any good? and can you pick up a good 2nd hand one here in Ireland, or must you import?

What about other brands in relation to price?
    Of course she'd love a genuine Vespa, but I guess they're very pricey!

...and finally, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

No idea, so we need advice.

If you go 4 stroke you will be able to walk beside her faster than the moped will be able to go.

Go for 2 stroke and don't buy Chinese.

Now I'm conflicted between post 3 & 4 which contradict each other :)

I guess a 4 stroke is easier, cleaner, and more popular.

Now I'm conflicted between post 3 & 4 which contradict each other :)

I guess a 4 stroke is easier, cleaner, and more popular.

Not at all, a 2 stroke is way easier to work on and fix, cheaper to have fixed.

Cleaner , probably

What year are you buying? That will depend on whether you are able to get a 2 stroke.

• Advertisement

Under 1000 Euro for sure.

Mileage under 10.000k

50cc.

Not too fussy if its Chinese in origin as my mileage will be very small indeed (weekend toy), and it will be garaged, which in theory should extend its life... not mad about the idea of a two stroke, but if that's what's recommended then so be it. Willing to import from UK.

50 Km/h max is ok too.

Under 1000 Euro for sure.

Mileage under 10.000k

50cc.

Not too fussy if its Chinese in origin as my mileage will be very small indeed (weekend toy), and it will be garaged, which in theory should extend its life... not mad about the idea of a two stroke, but if that's what's recommended then so be it. Willing to import from UK.

50 Km/h max is ok too.

With that budget importing from UK pointless as shipping will be 280 to start.

Search on done deal for aprilia moped , Suzuki moped, piaggio moped , Yamaha moped etc and see if anything comes up that you like and throw it up here.

I'm sure someone will be along in aninute to say they are scooters or whatever but moped will produce more search results.

Not sure why your reluctance towards 2 strokes at all tbh, at that budget all you will get will be 2 stroke I would imagine.

To give you an example of the difference, I had a 2 stroke 2008 piaggio 50cc moped and a few weeks ago I imported a 2015 vespa 125cc 4 stroke for a friend. The 125 is significantly slower than the 50cc was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Dont buy that chinese muck.
    Stay will a well known brand that you can easily get parts for.

Search on done deal for aprilia moped , Suzuki moped, piaggio moped , Yamaha moped etc and see if anything comes up that you like and throw it up here.

I'm sure someone will be along in aninute to say they are scooters or whatever but moped will produce more search results.

Never searched under Moped before, as I always thought a moped was a MOtor + PEDals, hence Moped.

200907042150040.Honda%20PC%2050L%20Grijs%20links.jpg

Never searched under Moped before, as I always thought a moped was a MOtor + PEDals, hence Moped.

200907042150040.Honda%20PC%2050L%20Grijs%20links.jpg
    I think you should be looking for something along the lines of this, I think it's overpriced. Worth probably 1300 but I'd I was you it would be something like this I would be looking at

https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/piaggio-liberty-50-2-stroke/15385451

I note you say it's for your wife, does she have moped listed on her driving license at the moment as something she is allowed to drive because if not she will have to do another theory test and an ibt (about 450 quid) before she can drive it ?

• Advertisement

I think you should be looking for something along the lines of this, I think it's overpriced. Worth probably 1300 but I'd I was you it would be something like this I would be looking at

https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/piaggio-liberty-50-2-stroke/15385451

I note you say it's for your wife, does she have moped listed on her driving license at the moment as something she is allowed to drive because if not she will have to do another theory test and an ibt (about 450 quid) before she can drive it ?

That can't be ridden with an M licence.

<SNIP>
    MOD NOTE: Abuse like that is clearly not tolerated on boards.ie - you've been warned.

Talking of insurance, we have been told that Liberty insurance is the way to go for a small scooter like this! We did get quotes from CN insurance & others, so it will be interesting to see if we can get a lower quote? 1st timer, virgin biker, going with car licence, over forty, clean slate.

Not at all, a 2 stroke is way easier to work on and fix, cheaper to have fixed.

Cleaner , probably

What year are you buying? That will depend on whether you are able to get a 2 stroke.

OK, you've got my attention.
    Now I'm looking at the Vespa ET2 50cc.

5 or 10 years old, low mileage, under a grand!

Have just been informed by Moto4U in Rathfarnham that "they've stopped making 50cc scooters ...... Whoever "they" are?

Is this true?

Has the manufacture of 50cc scooters ceased?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Would be better off with a 4 stroke 125cc to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Bykobap

Get a Yamaha Neo's. I have it for about 10 years and apart from couple of tyre changes, break pads and sparkplugs it's bulletproof.

Couple of years ago i went from Drogheda to Serbia and back with no issues whatsoever, 5500km two weeks on the road.

Being garaged will help with exhaust not rusting etc.

It has 50000km on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

MBK Ovetto. You won't regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Damien_d12 wrote: »
    MBK Ovetto. You won't regret it

My dad tried to make me get one I decided on the piaggio NRG which I done over 15,k miles on it in a year, only issues were when new the restrictors caused it to die so off 2 came and it done 60mph no problems.

They are moving away from 2 stroke due to emmisions so it will all be 4 stroke.

I have just seen a brand new Chinese 49cc scooter boxed (0 km), advertised in Ireland for under €550.

Unregistered? So what does that mean? How much to register, etc etc? Stolen?

All advice welcome.

• Advertisement

I have just seen a brand new Chinese 49cc scooter boxed (0 km), advertised in Ireland for under €500.

Unregistered? So what does that mean? How much to register, etc etc? Stolen?

All advice welcome.

Don't. They still haven't reached the quality, or back up, of the known brands from Europe or Japan.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't. They still haven't reached the quality, or back up, of the known brands from Europe or Japan.

I know that, but a brand new Scooter (with no number plate)!

How much to register it?

I know that, but a brand new Scooter (with no number plate)!

How much to register it?

€100.

I'm very tempted, but with reservations regarding the seller (unknown) and the fact that its not European or Japanese.

I'm very tempted, but with reservations regarding the seller (unknown) and the fact that its not European or Japanese.

Google the name for spare parts. There's a reason why the bike is so cheap.

Advertisement